Royal sailing from Bahamas this summer

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Celebrity is doing an antigen test on the last day of the cruise.  Not sure if that meets the requirements

Antigen test is acceptable for entry into the US via international flights.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Then the email is wrong?  Or just missed about testing? Email from rcl says vaccinated over 18, under 18 negative tests. 

20210319_130916.jpg

Bahamas requires the negative PCR test within 5 days prior to entry into the country. It also requires a test at least every 5 days while you're in the country, so I would expect Royal Caribbean will probably include a test on the last day of the sailing for that purpose, which also would likely be sufficient for most air travel requirements, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's a brief e mail and does not include all the details

The FAQ document implies that the PCR test is the country's requirement, not RCs. No mention of any post-cruise testing like Celebrity is doing, though I would assume if Celebrity is doing it, RC will, too.

Interesting that the Bahamas covid visa cost will be offset by onboard credit.

• Like 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

The FAQ document implies that the PCR test is the country's requirement, not RCs. No mention of any post-cruise testing like Celebrity is doing, though I would assume if Celebrity is doing it, RC will, too.

Interesting that the Bahamas covid visa cost will be offset by onboard credit.

The PCR test is also a requirement for St. Maarten yet they announced on the webinar it was also a cruise-line requirement and that if you were planning a pre cruise stay you would need to find a place in St. Maarten to get another PCR test that was within the 72 hour window that they require

19 minutes ago, pinnacleking2021 said:

idk if its because i got the vaccine but the mask wearing irritates the life out of me.why should those who got the vaccine be punished by having to wear the mask 

Wearing the mask isn't about protecting you, its about protecting others from you. Being vaccinated for COVID-19 with these current shots is good for preventing serious illness with COVID, but doesn't prevent you from being a carrier. Transmissibility remains the same between someone that has been vaccinated and someone that has not (children/teens in Royal Caribbean's case).

I obviously don't want to deal with wearing a mask on a cruise, but if that's what is required until kids can get vaccinated, so be it.

• Like 9

Current airfare rt from Detroit to Nassau ($430) and St Marten($700)   Not for me. If people actually start to book these cruises,  the airfare will most likely rise.   I just wonder what percentage of cruisers on each US port embarkation normally drive from their home to the ship.  We always have to fly, or drive a very long distance.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ew101 said:

It was a desperate life and death situation.  The ships were turned away, not by the CDC.   This is more current:   Key West ban on large cruise ships officially becomes law | Royal Caribbean Blog

The Florida legislature is trying to reverse the Key West decision. Will have to wait and see how this plays out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbschultz said:

Wearing the mask isn't about protecting you, its about protecting others from you. Being vaccinated for COVID-19 with these current shots is good for preventing serious illness with COVID, but doesn't prevent you from being a carrier. Transmissibility remains the same between someone that has been vaccinated and someone that has not (children/teens in Royal Caribbean's case).

That's actually not the case. The transmissibility hasn't been studied, so erring on the side of caution for now has been the norm. It is appearing based on evidence coming from places like Israel that transmission is also significantly reduced. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

I obviously don't want to deal with wearing a mask on a cruise, but if that's what is required until kids can get vaccinated, so be it.

Actually, it would appear that the newest studies from Israel are showing that the vaccines do drastically (94%) reduce transmission as well.  Follow that with the knowledge that the CDC now says fully vaccinated individuals can safely hang out together "indoors" and it appears the CDC concurs with the studies.  If everyone on board is fully vaccinated, there's no need for masks.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/pfizer-vaccine-prevents-covid-transmission-5116193

Edited by mikehoncho
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

If they make a big deal out of cruising from Nassau June-August does this mean all other cruises in this time frame are canceled? 

A very interesting question, one I had myself when I heard the details. It looks like my Aquatheatre Suite on Allure in August is toast. For a very small period of time -- before todays announcement --- I held out some hope. Final payment due 5/14. Hmmmm. 

mac_tlc

28 minutes ago, pinnacleking2021 said:

idk if its because i got the vaccine but the mask wearing irritates the life out of me.why should those who got the vaccine be punished by having to wear the mask 

Because we don't yet know for certain that those of us who are vaccinated can't nonetheless transmit the virus to others, even if we are less likely to get  sick ourselves. It's not punishment, it's about continuing to protect other people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

Actually, it would appear that the newest studies from Israel are showing that the vaccines do drastically (94%) reduce transmission as well.  Follow that with the knowledge that the CDC now says fully vaccinated individuals can safely hang out together "indoors" and it appears the CDC concurs with the studies.  If everyone on board is fully vaccinated, there's no need for masks.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/pfizer-vaccine-prevents-covid-transmission-5116193

And as we move forward we will get more data and be able to make educated adjustments. We have only been vaccinating people for about 90 days. In another 90 we will know a lot more and I would expect changes to the CDC guidance. I would prefer to err on the side of caution. 

mac_tlc

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Because we don't yet know for certain that those of us who are vaccinated can't nonetheless transmit the virus to others, even if we are less likely to get  sick ourselves. It's not punishment, it's about continuing to protect other people.

Not related to this thread, but I just watched the  Mighty Ships episode on the Viking Gefjon and noticed it in your signature.. Looks intriguing, but my DW is concerned with the pace and number of the port calls and excursions. 

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled ranting....

mac_tlc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:
3 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

And as we move forward we will get more data and be able to make educated adjustments. We have only been vaccinating people for about 90 days. In another 90 we will know a lot more and I would expect changes to the CDC guidance. I would prefer to err on the side of caution. 

mac_tlc

mac_tlc

I can understand that approach.  For me, it's a no cruise until the mask requirements are gone.  Having said that, I don't begrudge anyone and certainly understand those that are ready to begin cruising at all costs!   

• Like 2

Sorry if this has already been answered. How will USA residents show proof of vaccination? The cards they give you at the vaccinate center are incredibly easy to counterfeit. I would think they would require something less easy to forge. Israel's vaccine certificates have a barcode, but the United States, and all other countries for that matter, haven't been nearly as competent in regards to vaccines. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I agree with this, but the worry is about transmissibility to the non-vaccinated that will be on the ship. Vaccinated adults will not need to be tested prior to boarding so theoretically there could be an adult, vaccinated carrier. I'd be thrilled to have more studies show that transmissibility between vaccinated and unvaccinated to be near 0. Personally, I'm vaccinated, I'd love to be able to ditch the mask, but until studies show this conclusively I think it will be in our daily routine for time to come.

• Like 4

Just now, rbschultz said:

I agree with this, but the worry is about transmissibility to the non-vaccinated that will be on the ship. Vaccinated adults will not need to be tested prior to boarding so theoretically there could be an adult, vaccinated carrier. I'd be thrilled to have more studies show that transmissibility between vaccinated and unvaccinated to be near 0. Personally, I'm vaccinated, I'd love to be able to ditch the mask, but until studies show this conclusively I think it will be in our daily routine for time to come.

Yes, we are in agreement.  No masks only applies to ship of fully vaccinated people.  I assumed that would be the way all the cruise lines would approach it in the beginning.  I'm a little bit surprised at the decision to mix vaccinated and unvaccinated people on the same ship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

Exactly, 6% is still 60 people on a ship of 1000 that can transmit.