Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

FYI ......just to clarify for some.

hank you for your email. 

The insurance is not necessarily null and void because you booked your holiday at a point where the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office or other regulatory authority have advised against all but essential travel. Your cover will depend on the FCDO advice or government advice at the point that you are set to travel or make a claim.

Therefore if you were to book a trip at this point when they are currently advising against travel, but that advice is no longer in place at the time of travel, then cover is in place subject to the general terms and conditions of your policy. 

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Kindest regards,  

Miriam
The CoverForYou Customer Support Team
Tel: 0203 137 8981 I  Email: support@coverforyou.co.uk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, majortom10 said:

Staysure, Avanti and Free Spirit are all way cheaper than All Clear with the quotes for us and Staysure /Avanti offer 15 months for price of 12 months but of course it could be different for everyone's personal circumstances. I havent decided yet which to take I have got to enquire about cancelling my current annual insurance  policy with LV. It expires on 11th Sept and unfortunately we are thinking about doing a Princess Seacation on 9th Sept so current policy wont cover us as it expires half way through so that is why we are looking now for a new policy.

Have you looked at Travel insurance 4 medical? Have used in the past(before covid)seem

competitive.

Anyone have ideas on when to buy insurance for P&O Canada cruise sept 2021(could well be cancelled..). Final payment due 12th May. Thinking of getting insurance around July? Any help would be appreciated

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 1:39 PM, Couple-Somerset said:

That response is more worrying than re-assuring lol

The UK Gov DO NOT advise against UK cruises - only International ones.

The problem with some of the customer service staff is that they aren't always up-to-date with what's happening - though having a written response from a company is far better than a verbal telephone chat.

Someone posted the updated Fact Sheets / Endorsements from Cover For You - they are really helpful to have and can be found here - https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

Thanks for the links. After spending several days looking for the best policy I’ve just organised ours with cover for you. Getting a policy with clear coverage for a uk coastal cruise that also covers us if we have to isolate and can’t travel is great peace of mind. We looked at cover with Holiday Extras first as it seemed best to go with P&O’s partner but they don’t cover for isolation. 

Edited by Tilly20
Clarification
  • Like 3

Interesting and maybe worth checking and double and triple checking with your insurance provider. I have just been doing an internet search for cruise insurance and on the Travel Insurance 4 Medical site a box jumps up stating the following:

IMPORTANT POLICY UPDATE
Our policies will cover cancellation and curtailment if an insured person named on the policy documentation has a confirmed diagnosis of Coronavirus (COVID-19). You will also be covered for emergency medical expenses if you get infected by COVID-19 whilst abroad.

No cover applies to trips if the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advise against travel to your destination. You can read the FCDO's latest advice here. The FCDO is currently advising against ALL cruise ship travel for British Travellers.

If you cancel your policy within 14 days of purchase, you are welcome to a full refund - provided you have not travelled and do not intend to claim. Beyond 14 days you may be entitled to a partial refund. Please check the cancellation terms in your policy wording for details.

In effect they will NOT provide cover for ANY cruise, anywhere for British Travellers!! Be careful and check you really DO have insurance cover.

2 hours ago, bungle66 said:

Interesting and maybe worth checking and double and triple checking with your insurance provider. I have just been doing an internet search for cruise insurance and on the Travel Insurance 4 Medical site a box jumps up stating the following:

IMPORTANT POLICY UPDATE
Our policies will cover cancellation and curtailment if an insured person named on the policy documentation has a confirmed diagnosis of Coronavirus (COVID-19). You will also be covered for emergency medical expenses if you get infected by COVID-19 whilst abroad.

No cover applies to trips if the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advise against travel to your destination. You can read the FCDO's latest advice here. The FCDO is currently advising against ALL cruise ship travel for British Travellers.

If you cancel your policy within 14 days of purchase, you are welcome to a full refund - provided you have not travelled and do not intend to claim. Beyond 14 days you may be entitled to a partial refund. Please check the cancellation terms in your policy wording for details.

In effect they will NOT provide cover for ANY cruise, anywhere for British Travellers!! Be careful and check you really DO have insurance cover.

That won't be the case when these cruises go ahead though. They've already had agreement from the government to restart. 

8 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That won't be the case when these cruises go ahead though. They've already had agreement from the government to restart. 

I think of it like this, for a cruise from the UK calling only at UK ports or no ports at all consider the ship as a floating hotel. So when hotels are allowed to open - May -17th? - there is no reason to stop home cruises. Of course make sure your insurance covers these cruises, in writing, like the companies mentioned earlier in the topic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

When I was renewing my annual policy in Dec2020 my insurance company told me that I would be covered for all cruises already booked BUT if after the 1st Jan 2021 I booked a cruise that was on the FCO " ban  list we would not be covered. I asked the question that once the FCO ban was lifted would we then be covered. Their answer was " in that case they would have a look at the claim and make a judgement as to whether we had a claim against them. I still was unsure about the answer so they transferred me to claims department for clarification. Their answer once again was rather " woolly" but yes basically the same....they would judge each case on merit. I have to say that I felt very very unsure as to whether we would be able to claim. I wish they had said that yes...once the FCO ban is lifted on each country then you will have full cover....but they didn't say that.

Also with visiting different countries and maybe some countries still under the FCO ban then the area becomes very unclear that if you have a medical incident which country do you come under....a banned one or a green light one.

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

When I was renewing my annual policy in Dec2020 my insurance company told me that I would be covered for all cruises already booked BUT if after the 1st Jan 2021 I booked a cruise that was on the FCO " ban  list we would not be covered. I asked the question that once the FCO ban was lifted would we then be covered. Their answer was " in that case they would have a look at the claim and make a judgement as to whether we had a claim against them. I still was unsure about the answer so they transferred me to claims department for clarification. Their answer once again was rather " woolly" but yes basically the same....they would judge each case on merit. I have to say that I felt very very unsure as to whether we would be able to claim. I wish they had said that yes...once the FCO ban is lifted on each country then you will have full cover....but they didn't say that.

Also with visiting different countries and maybe some countries still under the FCO ban then the area becomes very unclear that if you have a medical incident which country do you come under....a banned one or a green light one.

I think that would relate more to the cancellation element of the policy rather than medical expenses if you fall ill. 

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I think that would relate more to the cancellation element of the policy rather than medical expenses if you fall ill. 

Hi....no it wasn't just the cancellation element ....it was also referring to medical needs while onboard....that came up in our conversation....it all felt like shaky ground. I want to cruise knowing that I have full cover and not " fearful" of requiring medical cover and having to fight my corner at that point.

On 4/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, Tilly20 said:

Thanks for the links. After spending several days looking for the best policy I’ve just organised ours with cover for you. Getting a policy with clear coverage for a uk coastal cruise that also covers us if we have to isolate and can’t travel is great peace of mind. We looked at cover with Holiday Extras first as it seemed best to go with P&O’s partner but they don’t cover for isolation. 

I think we will be going with 'cover for you'.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Scriv said:

I think we will be going with 'cover for you'.

Same with us, prices are excellent, as is the cover and I'm especially happy that they already have a cover letter for "UK Cruises To Nowhere" and seem switched on as to what's happening.  

Edited by sammyh25
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, sammyh25 said:

Same with us, prices are excellent, as is the cover and I'm especially happy that they already have a cover letter for "UK Cruises To Nowhere" and seem switched on as to what's happening.  

That's a shame, they only cover up to age 70!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

We have had an excellent quote with Free Spirit.  Have used them before.  Their Covid cover has been updated and looks good.

Our last annual policy was with them, it's currently paused until we know fairly certainly that our Oct cruise will sail.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Our last annual policy was with them, it's currently paused until we know fairly certainly that our Oct cruise will sail.

We have no cover at all at the minute and having moved our October cruise, don't need cover until late December, but looking at their Covid cancellation, it looks good and they also mention Staycation cruises if others are interested.  Best price I have found for our age with underlying conditions.

• Like 2

This all seems strange. My wife has been seriously ill, and will not be able to cruise in September. I spoke with the insurance company, and they said we would be eligible to claim off the insurance policy. I asked about this business about the FCO advice, and they said it only applied if we physically travelled on the cruise. This insurance was taken out in February this year. However they told me to wait and see what happens as it may be more favourable to me if the cruise is cancelled.

1 minute ago, Ataraxia said:

This all seems strange. My wife has been seriously ill, and will not be able to cruise in September. I spoke with the insurance company, and they said we would be eligible to claim off the insurance policy. I asked about this business about the FCO advice, and they said it only applied if we physically travelled on the cruise. This insurance was taken out in February this year. However they told me to wait and see what happens as it may be more favourable to me if the cruise is cancelled.

So presumably you haven't paid your balance, so would it not be easier just to lose the deposit or move the cruise to next year?

34 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We have no cover at all at the minute and having moved our October cruise, don't need cover until late December, but looking at their Covid cancellation, it looks good and they also mention Staycation cruises if others are interested.  Best price I have found for our age with underlying conditions.

Yes, when I say paused I mean I did not renew when it ran out last October. But I did check with the broker we buy it through, and it was his recommendation not to bother renewing until we needed it.  When I asked if this would lead to an increase in price, or any issue with bookings already made, he said no issues at all, the re-start price would not be loaded, and as long as we recognised that the deposits would not be covered by them until we renewed, but would of course be refunded by P&O if the cruise was cancelled, then he thought it was pointless renewing.

• Like 1

I cannot complain at the price of multi trip annual policy including cruise cover (not cabin confinement or missed ports) with Staysure which was for 15 months for the price of 12 months. Then got extra discount by taking out policy through Topcashback and then Staysure confirmed and sent out in writing that Cunard/P&O/Princess UK waters cruises are fully covered. Dont know if they will cover other cruise lines doing UK waters but initially were only covering Cunard/P&O and then added Princess a few days later.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Argh, I am 70 and I was going to buy insurance this July

Cover For You does travel insurance for up to 75yrs of age according to their website.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

So presumably you haven't paid your balance, so would it not be easier just to lose the deposit or move the cruise to next year?

We have already paid a substantial sum as it was a rearranged cruise from last year. This is the line we are going to go down, but as I had to inform the Insurance Company as soon as possible, I thought I would ask the questions. If the cruise goes ahead I have all bases covered.

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Can't you buy it now Dave and get in before your age is against you? Jane.x

I need to await the results of medical investigations so I have decided to buy the insurance just before the final payment date in July. Either a single trip policy or maybe an annual one