Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Staysure were perhaps one of the first apart from HolidayExtras to give cover for Staycation UK waters cruises. On the first week of sale I rang them as already had an annual multi trip cruise policy recently taken out with them online. They told me to ring back in a couple of days as they were in negotiations with their underwriters. When I rang back they said yes we have cover agreed for Cunard/P&O and when asked about Princess they said they werent aware that Princess was all part of the same company Carnival. Told me they would get in touch with underwriters ring at end of week for the outcome. When I rang they said that Princess UK waters cruises had been agreed and within minutes I received the endorsement letter from them by e-mail. Very rapid and good service compared to what many other people seem to be having problems still with their insurance companies.

We have had comprehensive Annual worldwide with cruise cover+ with them for a few years now. Always seem good value and seem to know what they are doing. We will ask for the endorsement fairly soon.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, Pink-belle said:

We use Insure & Go annual policy with cruise cover.

Having just spoken to Insure and Go (they do the Asda Travel Insce), and they are categoric in that they won't cover anything medical in relation to a UK cruise, not medical expenses, nor evacuation. The guy just kept insisting that the NHS would cover it all!

32 minutes ago, rosevew said:

Having just spoken to Insure and Go (they do the Asda Travel Insce), and they are categoric in that they won't cover anything medical in relation to a UK cruise, not medical expenses, nor evacuation. The guy just kept insisting that the NHS would cover it all!

I can't help but think you got the wrong guy. I would go back over some of the posts as there are several posts relating to Insure and Go.

39 minutes ago, rosevew said:

I cannot see how they can justify that the NHS would pay for private medical treatment onboard a cruise ship or evacuation, if that has to be paid for as there are many contradictory beliefs in that helicopter evacuation is free or not. If you are intending to go on UK waters cruise I would book a single trip policy with one of the companies mentioned numerous times on here just to cover yourself.

I have spoken to both Asda Travel and direct with Insure and Go, and had the same response from both. I've also just come off the phone to Customers Relations who has said the exact same thing, if you are in UK waters, then you are NOT covered for anything medical related.

I've raised an official complaint and stated that there are many Insure and Go policy holders who think that they are covered. It was confirmed that they are not. I've asked that they approach the underwriters and ask for cover to be provided.

It would be useful if there was a list of those who will provide cover without having to go through 20 pages of comments. In my case, I'm also struggling to get a quote due to awaiting hospital appointment for a very minor thing and, with the waiting lists so long, who knows when that might come through!

2 hours ago, rosevew said:

I have spoken to both Asda Travel and direct with Insure and Go, and had the same response from both. I've also just come off the phone to Customers Relations who has said the exact same thing, if you are in UK waters, then you are NOT covered for anything medical related.

I've raised an official complaint and stated that there are many Insure and Go policy holders who think that they are covered. It was confirmed that they are not. I've asked that they approach the underwriters and ask for cover to be provided.

It would be useful if there was a list of those who will provide cover without having to go through 20 pages of comments. In my case, I'm also struggling to get a quote due to awaiting hospital appointment for a very minor thing and, with the waiting lists so long, who knows when that might come through!

Having gone through this minefield recently and that involved cancelling policies because of incorrect cover I can say with certainty that SureStay provide the required cover and are a very reasonable price.

I would also add I have no affiliation with them.

7 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Having gone through this minefield recently and that involved cancelling policies because of incorrect cover I can say with certainty that SureStay provide the required cover and are a very reasonable price.

Do you mean Staysure?

Brian

It looks like we may give Staysure a go this time.  After some email correspondence to confirm, it looks like we can get our 2 staycation and 5 regular cruises covered under an annual policy, with their 15 for the price of 12 offer.  Just need to start it on the correct date to cover all.  And as had been mentioned, reasonable price too.  Undecided on the cruise plus extension though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

We’ve just taken out our annual policy with staysure and happy with the price and the cover they are providing us with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rosevew said:

I discovered a while ago that Insure and Go are no good for the seacations, and mentioned it on a thread on cc. Consequently I decided not to renew my annual insurance with them. I was going to do a single trip policy for my trip but may look at an annual policy with StaySure or Cover for you, as both comply with the requirements set for the seacations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

It looks like we may give Staysure a go this time.  After some email correspondence to confirm, it looks like we can get our 2 staycation and 5 regular cruises covered under an annual policy, with their 15 for the price of 12 offer.  Just need to start it on the correct date to cover all.  And as had been mentioned, reasonable price too.  Undecided on the cruise plus extension though.

We decided against the Cruise Plus extension when we took out an annual policy recently just purely on the basis of the extra cost they wanted we didnt think it was worth it.

• Like 1

Somebody I've been chatting to says they've contacted Staysure again and this is the response.

They are saying they do not cover you for use of the private medical centre on board. You will have to pay the bill for this. This is because we have the NHS. This is because you will be cruising around the UK

8 minutes ago, rosevew said:

Somebody I've been chatting to says they've contacted Staysure again and this is the response.

They are saying they do not cover you for use of the private medical centre on board. You will have to pay the bill for this. This is because we have the NHS. This is because you will be cruising around the UK

The point is that the NHS does not apply once you board the ship, whether you are cruising in coastal waters or not

Brian

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rosevew said:

They are wrong we have annual multi trip cruise policy with Staysure and they have confirmed in writing that we would be covered for cruising in UK waters which they have done for Cunard/P&O/Princess as follows and they have said just show endorsement letter at check in-

The persons named on the Staysure Validation Certificate for the abovementioned policy shall be covered up to the limits shown in the table of benefits within the policy wording document for pre-authorised Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses incurred on a ?Staycation? cruise solely around the British Isles.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BrianI said:

The point is that the NHS does not apply once you board the ship, whether you are cruising in coastal waters or not

Brian

I am fully aware of that, however, that's what they have been told.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

They are wrong we have annual multi trip cruise policy with Staysure and they have confirmed in writing that we would be covered for cruising in UK waters which they have done for Cunard/P&O/Princess as follows and they have said just show endorsement letter at check in-

The persons named on the Staysure Validation Certificate for the abovementioned policy shall be covered up to the limits shown in the table of benefits within the policy wording document for pre-authorised Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses incurred on a ?Staycation? cruise solely around the British Isles.

I would be a bit worried about the "Pre Authorised" bit. Would that cover medical expenses on Board, ? or a medivac to say France or Ireland if UK Coast Guard were unavailable ?

Some Insurance companies  actually state emergency medical costs onboard will be covered for UK only Cruises. like the info  here

https://www.coverforyou.com/content/important-information-coastal-cruise-apr-2021-v1.pdf

Edited by LifeonMars

39 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

I would be a bit worried about the "Pre Authorised" bit. Would that cover medical expenses on Board, ? or a medivac to say France or Ireland if UK Coast Guard were unavailable ?

Some Insurance companies  actually state emergency medical costs onboard will be covered for UK only Cruises. like the info  here

https://www.coverforyou.com/content/important-information-coastal-cruise-apr-2021-v1.pdf

Yes like all medical charges whether on land or on sea they would have to be authorised before agreement to cover costs by insurance company. That is common practice with every travel insurance policy whether taken ill or have an accident in Benidorm or on a cruise ship. No insurance company would agree to pay out thousands of pounds in medical costs without pre authorisation wherever you are in the world.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes like all medical charges whether on land or on sea they would have to be authorised before agreement to cover costs by insurance company. That is common practice with every travel insurance policy whether taken ill or have an accident in Benidorm or on a cruise ship. No insurance company would agree to pay out thousands of pounds in medical costs without pre authorisation wherever you are in the world.

This Post started by you has certainly highlighted the discrepancies in Travel Insurance, What is and not covered especially for UK Cruises. I am sure many think they are covered when in fact they will not be. The Travel Insurance which comes with Bank accounts are not the only ones that may not cover UK Cruises. One Really has to check. Thank you for  your post on highlighting the situation. I bet a few passengers  will not be fully covered and could end up with a mega bill for onboard medical  expenses  if taken ill.  Also when travelling some policies need minimum  two nights booked on a ship whilst others don't. Wonder what the implications of a Ferry journey would mean. going off topic. 

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

This is what my Staysure policy states;

To comply with the Terms and Conditions of the
insurance you must contact us as soon as possible.
You MUST obtain our prior authorisation before
incurring any expenses over £350, except in case
of emergency. If you are physically prevented
from contacting us immediately, you or someone
designated by you must contact us within 48 hours.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

This is what my Staysure policy states;

To comply with the Terms and Conditions of the
insurance you must contact us as soon as possible.
You MUST obtain our prior authorisation before
incurring any expenses over £350, except in case
of emergency. If you are physically prevented
from contacting us immediately, you or someone
designated by you must contact us within 48 hours.

Yes that is what mine says as well.

16 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

We’ve just taken out our annual policy with staysure and happy with the price and the cover they are providing us with.

I have been looking at staysure  annual insurance only had single trip before with other insurance company's but we now have 2 cruises next year due to cancellation do you take out the extra cruise cover? My main concern is missing the ship in ports, although don't think it would happen as we take p o excursions, but like to be covered just incase. 

14 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Yes that is what mine says as well.

Ours also. It's pretty much standard in travel insurance, I believe. We go for cruise cover+ as well. Fairly modest cost in the overall travel expenditure. It's not just recovering any costs, it is the support provided when other things may be on the go.

16 hours ago, rosevew said:

I am fully aware of that, however, that's what they have been told.

I would take confidence in what is written in the policy document and the extra "P&O (UK only) Staycation Cruise Endorsement" from StaySure, as "majortom10" has mentioned.  Don't listen to what "people have been told", what people have in writing is the most important part. 

Someone also mention that Staysure had told them the "P&O" policy can only be ordered by calling, not buying online.  I contacting them to recheck my policy was valid and covered me sufficiently.  All was fine and they said it makes no difference if you buy by phone or online, as long as you contact them again and get the extra endorsement letter after the policy has been purchased.

People will get told all sorts of things by agents, some right and some wrong. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, sammyh25 said:

I would take confidence in what is written in the policy document and the extra "P&O (UK only) Staycation Cruise Endorsement" from StaySure, as "majortom10" has mentioned.  Don't listen to what "people have been told", what people have in writing is the most important part. 

Someone also mention that Staysure had told them the "P&O" policy can only be ordered by calling, not buying online.  I contacting them to recheck my policy was valid and covered me sufficiently.  All was fine and they said it makes no difference if you buy by phone or online, as long as you contact them again and get the extra endorsement letter after the policy has been purchased.

People will get told all sorts of things by agents, some right and some wrong. 

I was the one that said it had to be ordered by phone only because that is what Staysure had told me. That said it seems the bit that is important is the P&O endorsement and even that it appears you can get set you by using their webchat.

After my experience on the phone I would suggest ordering it online as in all it took 40 mins on the phone! 

• Like 1