No more muster drills???

OccasionalSanta

3 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

I hate to be cynical (who am I kidding…!) but the system can tell if ‘the medallion’ is in the room - who’s to say that the passenger isn’t on the balcony, in the shower or fast asleep! 

The key point is if the system does not sense thst you are in the room, you will not get credit.  Of course it cannot tell if you are watching or not, but you do have to be in proximity. Have not tested what the limit is for how close.

5 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The key point is if the system does not sense thst you are in the room, you will not get credit.  Of course it cannot tell if you are watching or not, but you do have to be in proximity. Have not tested what the limit is for how close.

We just unpack as we have it on in the background..  Sometimes we sing along!

Cheers

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LibrarianMonroe said:

On our last cruise (June of this year) for some reason it wouldn't acknowledge that we had watched it in the room (as we unpacked) so we put it on our phones and that worked.  Not sure why that happened, but something to watch out for.

This happened to me a couple weeks ago on the Emerald.  I played it twice on the TV but didn't get the green check mark until I played it on my phone.  And it's a long video.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

19 hours ago, PalmHarborCruiser said:

Just my experience. Every time I was herded into my muster station, it was hot, overcrowded and very difficult to hear the instructions. I always seem to end up at the back of the crowd no matter how early I get there or the layout. No one wanted to be there and were antsy to get out. At least if you can actually hear the instructions in the comfort of your cabin (or another comfortable location on your phone) you might be more inclined to get at least a nugget of knowledge from the video. I'll be happy as a clam to sit back with my favorite libation and watch with great intent. Just my humble opinion.

When the cruise lines first changed this, the experienced mariners on these boards often posted that the muster drill was really for the crew; it was the only time that they got to "herd" passengers. One hopes there is not a real emergency to prove whether the old style drill was really necessary.

In prehistoric times, I used to like to get a cocktail and wait in the designated area before muster drill started.  It was fun to watch people drifting in, some newbies totally confused.  I guess I could still do that by hanging out in the muster station to watch people come up to check in with their medallions.  But it wouldn't be the same...

22 hours ago, ldtr said:

Princess is the same, except that with Medallion the system can tell if you are in the room while the video is on.  You must be there for the entire video.  On the other hand with medallion you can watch the video on your phone.

We had a cruise where the cabin TV wasn't working on day 1, so had to watch on phone. If you have it on in the cabin both cabinmates can get credit for it. On the app, only the person logged in gets credit, 

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

image.png.34af9017a2059a6098fb9f671b5e4ed4.png

Or they can set the App to use the attention aware/screen attention (depending upon phone type) feature found on new phones.

Edited by ldtr

A drill of any format will never be a realistic situation of an acute emegency.  Many years ago people knew the Muster Drill was going to occur at say 4pm and then go ahead of time with jackets and sit and wait for the emergency.  The announcements were made, everyone donned the jackets and then left the venue.  What are the odds of a genuine emergency happening while people are already at the station with a jacket?

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 2

I may be one of the few that still fits my life jacket..just in case.  
cruise ships have hit things too, severe listing.  You never know, have been at 2 cruises where needed to be near life jacket, just in case.
I am thankful for the crew that keep us safe and I may not remember what to do in a real emergency, but I hopefully won’t panic thanks to the muster drill.  

• Like 1