No more muster drills???

OccasionalSanta

Facebook had a post on why you should choose Princess and this was reason number 2

2. Convenience. Say goodbye to crowded muster stations. You can now complete the safety drill through a video you can watch in your stateroom, or on your device on embarkation day. Navigating the ship, and locating your loved ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From what I understand, after viewing the video in your cabin, you will at some point during the day, have to briefly show up at your muster station with your medallion in order to prove that you know where your muster station is.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'll miss the muster drill on Princess. It's been part of the ritual of cruising. Everybody clutching their life vests and trekking to their muster station is a great communal experience exemplifying that we are all shipmates! But I guess it will be more convenient.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, philv said:

I'll miss the muster drill on Princess. It's been part of the ritual of cruising. Everybody clutching their life vests and trekking to their muster station is a great communal experience exemplifying that we are all shipmates! But I guess it will be more convenient.

We haven't had to bring our life vests for years.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, philv said:

We haven’t dragged our life vests with us to muster drill for a long time.  Mostly just passengers, paying little to no attention and getting antsy to get back to their cocktails.  On Celebrity, it’s been video only in select rooms for ages now.  Works better.  Definitely more convenient.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, casofilia said:

On NCL we were unable to view the TV till we had run the "Muster Drill" video.   The only problem was that it was possible to set the video running and then go elsewhere while it ran!!

I’m pretty sure you could do the same on my last cruise on the Coral Princess in January 2020.

Tony

3 hours ago, casofilia said:

On NCL we were unable to view the TV till we had run the "Muster Drill" video.   The only problem was that it was possible to set the video running and then go elsewhere while it ran!!

Or a good time to multi-task, unpack and organize the cabin or enjoy that first drink on the balcony as it plays in the background. 

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

Similar to not paying attention at the old fashioned muster drills or the safety lecture before takeoff on airplanes. You may be a captive audience in the previous drills, but lots of people pay no attention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gotta cruise again said:

It seems your Medallion must be present in the cabin when the video is playing.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

11280BCB-3065-4673-93FB-D6707374BB64.jpeg

Works for me! Enjoy that glass of wine on the balcony watching what's happening outside while it plays. I just want to know where to go if necessary 

• Like 1

The elimination of the muster drills just may be the only positive thing to come out of Covid.  I have been saying for at least 5 years that they need to change to video.  Actually, my suggestion was that the video actually show the passengers the logical way to get to their stations from the individual stateroom.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Similar to not paying attention at the old fashioned muster drills or the safety lecture before takeoff on airplanes. You may be a captive audience in the previous drills, but lots of people pay no attention.

Sadly, that's why many people are hurt; or worse.......I always go through the motions even though I've done them all hundreds of times before. Sets a good example, don'tcha know?😉

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Sadly, that's why many people are hurt; or worse.......I always go through the motions even though I've done them all hundreds of times before. Sets a good example, don'tcha know?😉

Paraphrasing the saying, you train as you would perform. There have been several examples of how training has changed, here are two examples:

The FBI used to teach their agents to hold onto their brass at the firing range to help keep the range clean. That was until they found spent brass in the hands of agent that were killed while reloading their guns.

Same with the airline safety speech. A lady survived a crash landing where a fire soon broke out. She got out of the emergency exit even though she was several rows away and numerous passengers blocked the aisles. These passengers were found dead in the aisles with their items from the overhead compartments. The lady had not flown before and did not listen to the "OLD" safety talk. Instead when she was blocked, she climbed over the seats and made it to the exit. The safety talk no longer reminds you to not forget your overhead items.

Having made the one simple walk to the muster is probably more important than bringing the vest as now you understand better how to get to where you are going. When chaos reigns, you will have that one piece of training to rely on.

• Like 5

On 3/19/2021 at 5:41 PM, OccasionalSanta said:
Facebook had a post on why you should choose Princess and this was reason number 2

2. Convenience. Say goodbye to crowded muster stations. You can now complete the safety drill through a video you can watch in your stateroom, or on your device on embarkation day. Navigating the ship, and locating your loved ones.

I just hope proof the video was watched is required. After the Concordia disaster years back, I'd rather deal with the inconvenience of a muster drill, than dealing with newbi pax who are clueless should an actual occurrence take place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheRabbit said:

Paraphrasing the saying, you train as you would perform. There have been several examples of how training has changed, here are two examples:

The FBI used to teach their agents to hold onto their brass at the firing range to help keep the range clean. That was until they found spent brass in the hands of agent that were killed while reloading their guns.

Same with the airline safety speech. A lady survived a crash landing where a fire soon broke out. She got out of the emergency exit even though she was several rows away and numerous passengers blocked the aisles. These passengers were found dead in the aisles with their items from the overhead compartments. The lady had not flown before and did not listen to the "OLD" safety talk. Instead when she was blocked, she climbed over the seats and made it to the exit. The safety talk no longer reminds you to not forget your overhead items.

Having made the one simple walk to the muster is probably more important than bringing the vest as now you understand better how to get to where you are going. When chaos reigns, you will have that one piece of training to rely on.

Yes, the same is true of the saying "you perform as you train". That is why training needs to be well considered and appropriate.  Training is, after all, simply building a habit. I don't think you're advocating no training at all in place of muster drills, right, just better training? I agree the simple ability to get to your muster station in case of appropriate emergency is paramount.

Let's hope no of us ever need to use that training, eh?😎

5 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Yes, the same is true of the saying "you perform as you train". That is why training needs to be well considered and appropriate.  Training is, after all, simply building a habit. I don't think you're advocating no training at all in place of muster drills, right, just better training? I agree the simple ability to get to your muster station in case of appropriate emergency is paramount.

Let's hope no of us ever need to use that training, eh?😎

Yes on Better Training and building a habit.

If all they did was the video, the part of getting one to the muster station would be missed and the Chaos will increase. I hope there is some way down stream they are able to ensure cruisers put on their vest at the end of the video. By going to the muster station and performing the act of getting the vest on, a cruiser has the majority of the skills needed in a real emergency.

8 hours ago, Nashna said:

The elimination of the muster drills just may be the only positive thing to come out of Covid.  I have been saying for at least 5 years that they need to change to video.  Actually, my suggestion was that the video actually show the passengers the logical way to get to their stations from the individual stateroom.  

Ding Ding!

14 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

It seems your Medallion must be present in the cabin when the video is playing.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

11280BCB-3065-4673-93FB-D6707374BB64.jpeg

No, it is saying you check in with the muster station using your medallion to do so. It is basically taking attendance except that once you check in you can immediately leave.

7 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I agree the simple ability to get to your muster station in case of appropriate emergency is paramount.

Unfortunately new method of watching the video in your cabin and then checking in at your muster station does not teach you how to get there in an emergency.

In an emergency you cannot use the elevators. With the new method, many will take the elevators to check in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

Yes on Better Training and building a habit.

If all they did was the video, the part of getting one to the muster station would be missed and the Chaos will increase. I hope there is some way down stream they are able to ensure cruisers put on their vest at the end of the video. By going to the muster station and performing the act of getting the vest on, a cruiser has the majority of the skills needed in a real emergency.

I believe the cruise line will still require each passenger to report to their muster station within 48 hrs or so of sailing. That is easy enough to do now with the Medallions (etc) that cruise lines are using.

I think the person responsible for our safety is the guy looking you see in the mirror. I am old school, USN aviation. <g> Those who are concerned with muster station locations and using a life vest will do so, the others may try to not. I attempt to not worry about those who don't since there isn't much I can do about it. Sort of like folks texting in cars while "driving" or cheating on their income taxes. But don't get me started!😉

Doug

• Like 3