No more muster drills???

OccasionalSanta

5 hours ago, caribill said:

In an emergency you cannot use the elevators. With the new method, many will take the elevators to check in.

An excellent point. I had not considered that. And knowing where the stairwells are in an emergency is important, as there are more of them than elevators, and they are no always co-located.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Unfortunately new method of watching the video in your cabin and then checking in at your muster station does not teach you how to get there in an emergency.

In an emergency you cannot use the elevators. With the new method, many will take the elevators to check in.

Yes but in a true emergency, the way you got to your muster station may change anyway depending on where you are when it happens or what the emergency is. They had crew members guiding us every step of the way during the emergency on the Star Princess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yes but in a true emergency, the way you got to your muster station may change anyway depending on where you are when it happens or what the emergency is. They had crew members guiding us every step of the way during the emergency on the Star Princess.

Way back when discussions of the muster drill started at the beginning of the pandemic @chengkp75 always maintained that the muster drill was more important for training the crew to "herd" the passengers than it was for the passengers. He said the job of the passengers was basically to shut up and listen. How in this new system is the crew going to be trained?

And I think your post about the Star Princess only reinforces that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

True.

But the muster instructions have always been that, if possible, go first to your cabin to get warm clothing and any needed medicines along with your life jackets and then go from your cabin to the muster station.

Pre-pandemic on HAL, the embarkation day muster started with passengers required to go to their cabin, hear part of the muster instructions on the cabin TV and then proceed to the muster stations.

As you point out, some emergencies do not allow the possibility of going to your cabin first.

12 hours ago, caribill said:

No, it is saying you check in with the muster station using your medallion to do so. It is basically taking attendance except that once you check in you can immediately leave.

Seems to me, from the photo on the Princess website, the Medallion is needed first in the cabin when watching the video. The photo states to “have medallion present to begin” and shows which guests are present.

Then, of course, the medallion is used to check in at the muster station after having watched the video.

I highlighted those portions below:

680BC7CD-41EE-4084-BDC5-913F5F0B8B82.jpeg

Edited by gotta cruise again
Deleted unnecessary spaces.

9 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I believe the cruise line will still require each passenger to report to their muster station within 48 hrs or so of sailing. That is easy enough to do now with the Medallions (etc) that cruise lines are using.

I think the person responsible for our safety is the guy looking you see in the mirror. I am old school, USN aviation. <g> Those who are concerned with muster station locations and using a life vest will do so, the others may try to not. I attempt to not worry about those who don't since there isn't much I can do about it. Sort of like folks texting in cars while "driving" or cheating on their income taxes. But don't get me started!😉

Doug

LOL

I flew over 100 USAF test flights as a test engineer/trainer/System-SW Engineer for problem solving. Flight safety was drilled into everyone for over 15 minute to a half hour EVERY flight.

• Like 1

People are going to react on instinct .  A 15 minute drill with 7 minutes teaching you how to wash your hands is not training. No matter where your muster station is, when the ship starts listing you try to get to the opposite side and if the water is at your ankles you head up,   These muster drills are an unrealistic example of an emergency. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

People are going to react on instinct .  A 15 minute drill with 7 minutes teaching you how to wash your hands is not training. No matter where your muster station is, when the ship starts listing you try to get to the opposite side and if the water is at your ankles you head up,   These muster drills are an unrealistic example of an emergency. 

Which just shows how uninformed most cruisers are.  First off, a ship will not start listing "out of the blue", there will be a cause, and that cause will require some time before it affects the trim of the ship.  While the Concordia was and outlier, Captains will call a muster long before a ship starts listing, because the passenger muster is not about getting into boats.  It is about accountability, and having the "cats" (pax) "herded" into known, controlled locations, so the crew do not waste valuable time hunting for those who are "heading up" or "heading to the high side".  Far more actual passenger musters (in actual emergencies, not drills) have been called, and passengers mustered, than cases where the Captain even thought about putting passengers into boats.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, caribill said:

Unfortunately new method of watching the video in your cabin and then checking in at your muster station does not teach you how to get there in an emergency.

I think that I was taught in grade school not to get in an elevator in an emergency. Anyone who is going to stand around waiting for an elevator in an emergency....well lets just say survival of the fittest.

31 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The cruise ship musters are not designed to make you an expert on survival when an emergency occurs. Theoretically the experts will be the ship's personnel at the muster stations.

There are several basic ideas they want passengers to know:

a) Where their muster stations is

b) How those with handicaps can be assisted to getting to the muster stations

c) The need to retrieve your warm clothing and medicines if possible

d) How children in the kids' clubs will be reunited with the family

Getting this across to up to over 4000 passengers is not easy.

• Like 4

On 3/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, OccasionalSanta said:
Facebook had a post on why you should choose Princess and this was reason number 2

2. Convenience. Say goodbye to crowded muster stations. You can now complete the safety drill through a video you can watch in your stateroom, or on your device on embarkation day. Navigating the ship, and locating your loved ones.

Great improvement 👍

On 3/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, philv said:

I'll miss the muster drill on Princess. It's been part of the ritual of cruising. Everybody clutching their life vests and trekking to their muster station is a great communal experience exemplifying that we are all shipmates! But I guess it will be more convenient.

Haven't had to bring out vests to muster in year. 

12 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

LOL

I flew over 100 USAF test flights as a test engineer/trainer/System-SW Engineer for problem solving. Flight safety was drilled into everyone for over 15 minute to a half hour EVERY flight.

Yep! And our experience makes the ones on airliners and cruise ships look like a joke in comparison, doesn't it? <g> But then again, USN aviation and USAF aviation can be a bit more challenging, right? Especially the flying it sounds like you did. Still, I respect the intent of those tasked with safety briefings on the ships and commercial airplanes on which I fly. There's always a nugget or two in their briefs that could save my life.

Doug

On 3/21/2021 at 6:36 PM, caribill said:

The cruise ship musters are not designed to make you an expert on survival when an emergency occurs. Theoretically the experts will be the ship's personnel at the muster stations.

There are several basic ideas they want passengers to know:

a) Where their muster stations is

b) How those with handicaps can be assisted to getting to the muster stations

c) The need to retrieve your warm clothing and medicines if possible

d) How children in the kids' clubs will be reunited with the family

Getting this across to up to over 4000 passengers is not easy.

Especially when they don't listen as is implied by some of the replies on this thread. I don't recall any of the information you posted being mentioned other than knowing where your station is.  For over thirty years I have been to muster drills and they were basically an unorganized mess even before there were 6000 passenger ships. On my first cruise in 1986 Carnival chose to use the event as a photo opportunity. My last cruise on Royal Caribbean 2019 we couldn't even see or hear the video basically they just took attendance.    I think the new set up will be better for those who want the information.  It will be less hectic and you can hear and see the presentation.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just my experience. Every time I was herded into my muster station, it was hot, overcrowded and very difficult to hear the instructions. I always seem to end up at the back of the crowd no matter how early I get there or the layout. No one wanted to be there and were antsy to get out. At least if you can actually hear the instructions in the comfort of your cabin (or another comfortable location on your phone) you might be more inclined to get at least a nugget of knowledge from the video. I'll be happy as a clam to sit back with my favorite libation and watch with great intent. Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PalmHarborCruiser said:

Every time I was herded into my muster station, it was hot, overcrowded and very difficult to hear the instructions. I always seem to end up at the back of the crowd no matter how early I get there or the layout. No one wanted to be there and were antsy to get out. 

If there was an actual emergency where passengers sensed a major problem was afoot, this would be a more realistic replication of what happens. I should imagine friends and family groups split up calling out to try and get themselves together as a group.

Regards John

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 4:29 PM, philv said:

I'll miss the muster drill on Princess. It's been part of the ritual of cruising. Everybody clutching their life vests and trekking to their muster station is a great communal experience exemplifying that we are all shipmates! But I guess it will be more convenient.

The old muster drills would only be worth continuing if everyone had to dress in formal attire for it, just like in the early days of cruising where everyone had to dress up like royalty for the formal night dinners that were held in the only restaurant on board.

Oh, how I miss those obligatory penguin impersonation nights. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 11:34 PM, casofilia said:

On NCL we were unable to view the TV till we had run the "Muster Drill" video.   The only problem was that it was possible to set the video running and then go elsewhere while it ran!!

Princess is the same, except that with Medallion the system can tell if you are in the room while the video is on.  You must be there for the entire video.  On the other hand with medallion you can watch the video on your phone.

32 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

The old muster drills would only be worth continuing if everyone had to dress in formal attire for it, just like in the early days of cruising where everyone had to dress up like royalty for the formal night dinners that were held in the only restaurant on board.

Oh, how I miss those obligatory penguin impersonation nights. 

There is still Cunard

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

On the other hand with medallion you can watch the video on your phone.

Isn't it great ! Now I can start the video, put it in my pocket & go to lunch.

After lunch, stroll by the check in point to be logged in. 😁

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

Princess is the same, except that with Medallion the system can tell if you are in the room while the video is on.  You must be there for the entire video.  On the other hand with medallion you can watch the video on your phone.

I hate to be cynical (who am I kidding…!) but the system can tell if ‘the medallion’ is in the room - who’s to say that the passenger isn’t on the balcony, in the shower or fast asleep! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martha1974 said:

I hate to be cynical (who am I kidding…!) but the system can tell if ‘the medallion’ is in the room - who’s to say that the passenger isn’t on the balcony, in the shower or fast asleep! 

Previously when they still were using the old muster drill routine my husband was resting his eyes before the muster recording even began and was told he must stay awake for the video. Once the video began the same person went to the trouble to again remind him to pay attention and not close his eyes.

He got up and left. 

2 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

I do not think "Big Medallion" is watching.  We just turn on the TV and let the video play.   The only thing we have seen is that you cannot watch other TV programs until the safety video has played.  There seems to be no way anyone has any idea if we are are watching or not as long as the video plays through.