Celebrity Pricing for a Solo Traveler?

edspec

12 hours ago, KWW88 said:

Well I disagree, I believe just pulling out from port, with me as a solo traveler, they have already made a profit.

They will make more money with 2 people in that same cabin. Their incremental cost on food for your missing cabin mate is low. What they want is the added services that the second traveler spends money on. 

11 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I understand. I used to enjoy the Celebrity experience more too.  But I remember the first five years after the transfer from Chandris to Royal Caribbean Group.  Makes it not as enjoyable now for me.  However every cruise line evolves with the times and so do I.

I agree. I was pretty happy on NCL 20 years ago. Wouldn’t be found on it now. Still like X, but as I get older and retired what I want has changed. Once you start looking at suites  and their cost on X, other premium and luxury lines are worthy of a hard look. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

Solo travelers also get socked if they upgrade from standard AI to Elevate or Indulge. Per the Celebrity site, "Single guests will be charged double the per day amount for either the Elevate or Indulge package.  Single guests will receive double the amount of corresponding Onboard Credit; however, the Beverage and Wi-Fi packages will not be doubled as these amenities are provided per person. There will not be a refund for the unused packages."

I would hope that a solo traveler can just pay the upgrade fee of $12 per person per day for just one drink package.

That is definitely a ripoff.

I figured it out, and it was cheaper to do the upgrades on the ship. By several hundred dollars. Even with the onboard credit that comes with that upgrade.

17 minutes ago, tfred said:

I agree. I was pretty happy on NCL 20 years ago. Wouldn’t be found on it now. Still like X, but as I get older and retired what I want has changed. Once you start looking at suites  and their cost on X, other premium and luxury lines are worthy of a hard look. 

My Apex S1 is currently priced at $740pp/pd. I have a Regent Penthouse suite booked to AK for $783pp/pd including air, transfers, premium liquor, wifi, grats, a pre cruise 5 star hotel night, all specialty restaurants and excursions in every port of call. I have two Regent Concierge suites for $603 and $493; both pp/pd including the previous.

So I agree with your last sentence which is why I took that look and booked. I'll reconsider Celebrity again when their pricing becomes more reasonable and at a true value proposition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jules27556 said:

Since this is my postponed (2 years) birthday cruise,  the trip is my treat.  I have 2 possibilities and probably one friend will be able to go.  If not, only 1 airfare home!!!  😊

j - can I go with you? I will pay my own airfare!!!

Happy Belated Birthday and I trust you will be able to celebrate aboard soon!!!

bon voyage

14 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Boy you've really gotta want to stick with XX if a solo traveler is willing to pay double everything except for port charges.  At that super charged supplement, I'd start looking at the premium or real luxury lines that only charge a 25% or 50% surcharge. 

The "premium or real luxury lines" only work if one enjoys the ship size and possible passenger demographics, too.

There are times when price is the only issue even when it appears to be high, as many may want it to be.

I wholeheartedly endorse looking at other lines, comparable to X or not, if pricing is an issue.

bon voyage

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

The "premium or real luxury lines" only work if one enjoys the ship size and possible passenger demographics, too.

There are times when price is the only issue even when it appears to be high, as many may want it to be.

I wholeheartedly endorse looking at other lines, comparable to X or not, if pricing is an issue.

bon voyage

Yup. That's why they make all different size cruise ships.  Have you sailed on a ship with less than 1,200 passengers?

BTW I don't only buy on price.  I choose value, as I perceive it, and whats included in the price. I'll pay more for a cruise if it has a high perceived value IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Boy you've really gotta want to stick with XX if a solo traveler is willing to pay double everything except for port charges.  At that super charged supplement, I'd start looking at the premium or real luxury lines that only charge a 25% or 50% surcharge. 

You hit the nail on the hit. I am a solo cruiser and occasional Celebrity cruiser. I have liked their product in recent years very much but going forward will be extremely unlikely to sail with them unless they fix this "gotcha" for solos.

No other line that I am aware of does this -- and yes, for solos sometimes the luxury lines are actually cheaper or at least an equivalent price but with more on offer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morechances said:

That is definitely a ripoff.

I figured it out, and it was cheaper to do the upgrades on the ship. By several hundred dollars. Even with the onboard credit that comes with that upgrade.

Although you don't have to wait to do the upgrades on the ship, X does indicate upgrades must be done after final payment. I have seen some posts suggesting the upgrades can be done anytime, so I am not sure. However, I have seen some other posts that back up your suggestion by pointing out that if you do your purchases/upgrades with a bartender, they get commission and you may have even better service for the rest of the cruise.

And I wonder about that onboard credit. Sure, a solo traveler gets twice the OBC, but can one person find useful ways to spend it all? Some of it is earmarked for excursions only.

6 hours ago, tfred said:

My first cruise was NCL Skyward in 1976.....did 3 more at that time.    Agree. Zero interest in NCL now.

3 hours ago, jules27556 said:

My first cruise was NCL Skyward in 1976.....did 3 more at that time.    Agree. Zero interest in NCL now.

Our first and only NCL cruise was a 10 day with my now DW before we were married.  She had never cruised and when she saw the luggage dumped  in the doorway she thought, I'm gonna kill him before this cruise is over. lol  But I stowed everything having sailed before.  It was actually a very good cruise back in the late 80's.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

Although you don't have to wait to do the upgrades on the ship, X does indicate upgrades must be done after final payment. I have seen some posts suggesting the upgrades can be done anytime, so I am not sure. However, I have seen some other posts that back up your suggestion by pointing out that if you do your purchases/upgrades with a bartender, they get commission and you may have even better service for the rest of the cruise.

And I wonder about that onboard credit. Sure, a solo traveler gets twice the OBC, but can one person find useful ways to spend it all? Some of it is earmarked for excursions only.

The OBC is hard for a solo to spend depending on the cruise. I have an Asian holiday cruise coming up and it will not be cheap. 

3 hours ago, morechances said:

The OBC is hard for a solo to spend depending on the cruise. I have an Asian holiday cruise coming up and it will not be cheap. 

I did not think about using the OBC for excursions quickly enough in my post, and those can chew through serious $$ in a hurry. 

I hope you have a very enjoyable Asian holiday cruise! I lack the courage to do something like that solo. And I need to find a way to start sentences with something other than "I".

10 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Our first and only NCL cruise was a 10 day with my now DW before we were married.  She had never cruised and when she saw the luggage dumped  in the doorway she thought, I'm gonna kill him before this cruise is over. lol  But I stowed everything having sailed before.  It was actually a very good cruise back in the late 80's.

Obviously she was impressed by your ability to quickly and efficiently handle the situation! Clearly a "keeper".

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2021 at 10:29 PM, KWW88 said:

I totally get what you, and others say, but I really just take one cruise per year.  I really do enjoy the Celebrity experience.  I suppose if I did 3-4...cruises per year, I might expand my horizons, but right now, the way I cruise is working for me.  Yes yes, they are expensive.   

https://www.rssc.com/specials/single-supplement-special-us

this is the Regent Cruise solo list.  Not cheap, but certainly in the range of X when you add in airfare, excursions, booze etc that you would pay for (some of it at least) on X  This would be The Retreat level + comparing side by side.

These are invariably cruises they don't think they will sell out and want to fill it up.  9 pages of cruises, one of which is a 10 day RT Miami this December for $4699 for the equivalent of suite level X

Part of the issue is that people go with what they know and don't want the possibilities of surprises.  Regent is part of the NCL empire.  Silversea is part of Royal (and by marriage X).  You wouldn't find me on NCL ever, but you would find me on Regent

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some ships have solo rooms, and even a solo cafe. I wish I could remember what line I saw that on, not Celebrity, obviously, when looking around online. I had never seen it before, and really thought it was great! Studio sized, I think they called it. There's hope.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:11 AM, HskrCrsr said:

I did not think about using the OBC for excursions quickly enough in my post, and those can chew through serious $$ in a hurry. 

I hope you have a very enjoyable Asian holiday cruise! I lack the courage to do something like that solo. And I need to find a way to start sentences with something other than "I".

OBC for excursions can be used quickly enough because they can be serious $$$!

You will have a very enjoyable Asian holiday cruise, I trust. It will take some doing for me to muster up the courage to sail that type of itinerary as a solo..

There you go, I trust that the essence and intent of the original was maintained... 😉

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

9 hours ago, Lunesse said:

Some ships have solo rooms, and even a solo cafe. I wish I could remember what line I saw that on, not Celebrity, obviously, when looking around online. I had never seen it before, and really thought it was great! Studio sized, I think they called it. There's hope.

Celebrity's newer ships have solo cabins, more like closets.  The cost is not much less than paying for a real cabin as a solo.  No thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Celebrity's newer ships have solo cabins, more like closets.  The cost is not much less than paying for a real cabin as a solo.  No thanks.

Bummer! It is possible that is what I saw, I just can't remember. 😕  

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Not sure what the definition of a closet size is, but the Single SR is 131sf with 45sf veranda, and the standard SRs are 202/54sf. And as to cost, the standard veranda SR is $2059pp or $4118 for a single and the Single SR is $2,969, a difference of a bit short of $1,200. I’d take the difference, but that’s just me.

And the NCL Solo’s you reference. According to their website: Our award-winning Studios are the first accommodations specifically designed and priced for solo travelers. Running up to 100 sq. ft,

Got it.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lunesse said:

Celebrity Edge has a single infinity veranda cabin. I booked it for this July (fingers crossed) for $2,100 with the all included features.

I am also booked on Quantum next June in their "studio ocean view balcony" cabin. 

Not interested in Norwegian which has the studio insides. NCL has the studio cabin lounge.

Edited by charliesdad63

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The one that I booked yesterday was half the price - but not half the size - of a regular veranda. I'll save the regular verandas for you and I'll keep my money for a second lap. 🙂 Win Win!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, charliesdad63 said:

The one that I booked yesterday was half the price - but not half the size - of a regular veranda. I'll save the regular verandas for you and I'll keep my money for a second lap. 🙂 Win Win!

I am waiting for my Celebrity Advisor to call so I can book a single cabin on the Edge. Has Infinite veranda and I believe 184 sq ft.  perfect for an 8 day cruise to Greece. 5 ports, 2 sea days....will be just fine.  I did see photos of NCL single cabins. Appeared interior and TINY!  A walk in closet perhaps?🤣

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jules27556 said:

I am waiting for my Celebrity Advisor to call so I can book a single cabin on the Edge. Has Infinite veranda and I believe 184 sq ft.  perfect for an 8 day cruise to Greece. 5 ports, 2 sea days....will be just fine.  I did see photos of NCL single cabins. Appeared interior and TINY!  A walk in closet perhaps?🤣

I haven't sailed on NCL in over 18 years....and never in a solo cabin.  I was just trying to help you "remember" what cruise line had solo cabins.  😀  I am booked on the Apex in an infinite veranda for a 12 night British Isles in 2022. 🍷