Celebrity Pricing for a Solo Traveler?

edspec

7 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I haven't sailed on NCL in over 18 years....and never in a solo cabin.  I was just trying to help you "remember" what cruise line had solo cabins.  😀  I am booked on the Apex in an infinite veranda for a 12 night British Isles in 2022. 🍷

Another person was trying to remember. I was just sharing.  BTW  what is dining like for solo travelers?

3 minutes ago, jules27556 said:

Another person was trying to remember. I was just sharing.  BTW  what is dining like for solo travelers?

I always request a table for 8, and have never had an issue.  In fact, I have made a number of friends that way, and we still keep in touch and sometimes schedule cruises "together".  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I always request a table for 8, and have never had an issue.  In fact, I have made a number of friends that way, and we still keep in touch and sometimes schedule cruises "together".  

Thank you for the tip!

1 hour ago, taznremmy said:

I've been doing that for a very long time.  On one 15 night TA (2018?), the maitre 'd put together a table for 8 of solo cruisers.  We were all experienced cruisers (Elite thru Zenith) and it was the all-time best table in 40+ cruises.  No silly questions like "how can you travel ALONE?"  We had a fantastic time and looked forward to dinner every day.  I've found late seating to be better for solos, too.  The few times I've tried early were the very few times I remember not having as much fun.

Just now, goofysmom99 said:

I've been doing that for a very long time.  On one 15 night TA (2018?), the maitre 'd put together a table for 8 of solo cruisers.  We were all experienced cruisers (Elite thru Zenith) and it was the all-time best table in 40+ cruises.  No silly questions like "how can you travel ALONE?"  We had a fantastic time and looked forward to dinner every day.  I've found late seating to be better for solos, too.  The few times I've tried early were the very few times I remember not having as much fun.

Does Anytime Select work? Thank you!

I like that idea of setting up a dinner group. About 2 1/2 years ago I was on a TA and there were a group of about 20 or more solo travelers. Someone had it set up for us to have a special lunch in the dining room one day. It was nice to meet others and go to the shows, specialty dining restaurants, or go on tours with. I am set for the TA in April on the Reflection and hope we will have some solo travelers and at least meet up at the Meet and Greet to arrange something fun!

1 minute ago, Grandma7 said:

I like that idea of setting up a dinner group. About 2 1/2 years ago I was on a TA and there were a group of about 20 or more solo travelers. Someone had it set up for us to have a special lunch in the dining room one day. It was nice to meet others and go to the shows, specialty dining restaurants, or go on tours with. I am set for the TA in April on the Reflection and hope we will have some solo travelers and at least meet up at the Meet and Greet to arrange something fun!

☺️  !

20 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Not sure what the definition of a closet size is, but the Single SR is 131sf with 45sf veranda, and the standard SRs are 202/54sf. And as to cost, the standard veranda SR is $2059pp or $4118 for a single and the Single SR is $2,969, a difference of a bit short of $1,200. I’d take the difference, but that’s just me.

And the NCL Solo’s you reference. According to their website: Our award-winning Studios are the first accommodations specifically designed and priced for solo travelers. Running up to 100 sq. ft,

Got it.

Den

I didn't say anything about NCL's solo staterooms.  As for Celebrity's solo staterooms, all the solos I've talked to said they would prefer a regular stateroom.  And that is my preference as well.  It's my money and I get to decide how to spend it.  This will probably drive you right round the bend, but I have the PH booked as a solo on an upcoming repo.  The price was too good to resist.  I'll enjoy every square foot of that amazing space.  I'm redeploying all the money I didn't get to spend on cruising during 2020 and 2021.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I didn't say anything about NCL's solo staterooms.  As for Celebrity's solo staterooms, all the solos I've talked to said they would prefer a regular stateroom.  And that is my preference as well.  It's my money and I get to decide how to spend it.  This will probably drive you right round the bend, but I have the PH booked as a solo on an upcoming repo.  The price was too good to resist.  I'll enjoy every square foot of that amazing space.  I'm redeploying all the money I didn't get to spend on cruising during 2020 and 2021.

I thought I read in your post a reference to the cost diff between X solo and standard SRs as being not much and just referencing NCL had solo SRs. Odd. My misread I guess. 

but I think you misinterpret my post. I have no issues w your bookings of standard SRs or even a PH. Good on you.

I’m looking upgrades from what I normally spend and have never questioned anyone’s choices. My comment was that the X Solo was a definite price diff than Standard SRs. 

enjoy!

den

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:36 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I have the PH booked as a solo on an upcoming repo.  The price was too good to resist.  I am right there with you on this Happy Cruiser!  I have the PH booked on an Oct 2022 cruise, as of now my dear friend is joining me, but even if things change and she is not able to go, I am still keeping that suite.  Like you, I have redeployed what I did not spend in 2020 and will not spend in 2021.  Been a very long year plus for all of us, when I next cruise/vacation, I am living it large.  

• Like 3

On 5/6/2021 at 11:36 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I have the PH booked as a solo on an upcoming repo.  The price was too good to resist.  I'll enjoy every square foot of that amazing space.  I'm redeploying all the money I didn't get to spend on cruising during 2020 and 2021.

Linda, I have a hunch we may be next door neighbors, if it's an M-class 2022 TA.  I almost went for it, too.  Amazing price for THAT penthouse.      

45 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Linda, I have a hunch we may be next door neighbors, if it's an M-class 2022 TA.  I almost went for it, too.  Amazing price for THAT penthouse.      

It's not a TA, it's a repo.  But I agree, those M class PHs are amazing places.  Love them when they're priced within reason.  The cruise following the repo, same number of nights, the PH would cost more than 2X as much.  Ouch!

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2021 at 7:23 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

Boy you've really gotta want to stick with XX if a solo traveler is willing to pay double everything except for port charges.  At that super charged supplement, I'd start looking at the premium or real luxury lines that only charge a 25% or 50% surcharge. 

Steve,

Look at other large cruise lines like Princess & price a cruise for 1 & you’ll be surprised. 

Celebrity isn’t the only cruise gouging solo travelers. 

59 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Steve,

Look at other large cruise lines like Princess & price a cruise for 1 & you’ll be surprised. 

I disagree.  X is the only one that charges a solo traveler for 2 times internet, 2 times drink package and 2 times gratuities.  Yes, they all charge for 2 in a cabin.  Princess at least gives you the option to opt in to the extras or to exclude them.  If you include them, you are only paying for one, not two.

• Like 2

I've always bought wifi and it was for one device.  Since I'll be paying for two streaming wifi services, I wonder if it would be possible to push for two devices.  My first post-covid cruise isn't until April so am hoping there will be current feedback by then.

44 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I've always bought wifi and it was for one device.  Since I'll be paying for two streaming wifi services, I wonder if it would be possible to push for two devices.  My first post-covid cruise isn't until April so am hoping there will be current feedback by then.

You have already seen that Celebrity says "Single guests will be charged double the per day amount for either the Elevate or Indulge package.  Single guests will receive double the amount of corresponding Onboard Credit; however, the Beverage and Wi-Fi packages will not be doubled as these amenities are provided per person. There will not be a refund for the unused packages." Although this is technically for the upgrades, the part I underlined makes me think solo cruisers won't get double. But as you are not cruising until April, here's hoping I am wrong or it changes by then.

7 hours ago, trbarton said:

Steve,

When the solo price gets to where you're paying double fare PLUS double for forced AI, I suspect the bottom line is easier to take on the true luxury lines. 

For example:

Regent says,  Solo travelers enjoy special Single Supplements, starting at only 10% above the advertised per person fare, on select voyages.

Azamara, although only a premium line says, Solo travelers just pay the double occupancy fares plus 25-50% on select voyages.

You're not paying for double drink, Wi-Fi and gratuity packages.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

Steve,

7 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I disagree.  X is the only one that charges a solo traveler for 2 times internet, 2 times drink package and 2 times gratuities.  Yes, they all charge for 2 in a cabin.  Princess at least gives you the option to opt in to the extras or to exclude them.  If you include them, you are only paying for one, not two.

Well said.

Surprising how many people keep wanting to make this about the solo supplement which, if not liked is at least accepted behavior for the mass market lines.

What is extremely irritating -- and NOT done by other lines -- is asking solo cruisers to pay for gratuities for two people, drinks for two people, internet for two people, etc.  These should be like port taxes -- levied on ONLY the actual number of cruisers per cabin.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

Steve,

... or going berth rate?

Methinks, going rate(s), if there are other lines charging in the same realm i.e. more/less money wise.

bon voyage