CDC Conditional Sail Order Extended to Nov 1

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, I've taken a closer look at CLIA's figures for economic impact in the US.  They claim to have $24 billion in direct spending in the US (salaries of US employees, goods and services, taxes).  Yet the passenger boardings for US cruises tops out at 13.8 million, so they claim to spend $1700 per passenger in the US directly.  How many cruises from the US are $1700/person?  Any profit there? Also, total revenue, worldwide, for the industry is $38 billion, so if they are spending $24 billion of that in the US, and were making money prior to the pandemic, they must not be spending much in any other country. Some claims don't pass the smell test.

You got that right chief.  CLIA is just a lobbying group.  Their "economic contribution" statistics are grossly overstated to inflate public's perception of the industry's importance.  For a good laugh read through their breakdown of where direct spending supposedly comes from both by category an by state.  Can there really be over 1400 cruise related jobs in Utah or 500 in Nebraska?  More likely they are counting every TA in the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

From Florida Governor's Press Conference today at Port Canaveral: 

For Immediate ReleaseMarch 26, 2021

Contact: Governor’s Press Office(850) 717-9282Media@eog.myflorida.com

Governor Ron DeSantis Highlights Florida’s Vital Cruise Industry, Calls on CDC to Rescind 
No-Sail Order

Governor Also Recommends Over $250 Million to Rebuild Industry

Port Canaveral, Fla. – Today, Governor Ron DeSantis, Attorney General Ashley Moody and Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Secretary Kevin J. Thibault, P.E. held a roundtable discussion with cruise industry executives and employees to highlight the importance of this critical industry to Florida’s economy. 

At the roundtable, Governor DeSantis called on the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to rescind its no-sail order which the CDC has indicated will remain in place until November 1, 2021. The federal government has provided guidance to all other passenger transportation modes and other industries; however, it has failed to issue guidance for the cruise industry to assist in its recovery.

In addition to the lack of guidance, the federal government has neglected to provide relief funding to seaports while airports and transit agencies have received assistance through previous relief packages. Earlier this month, Governor DeSantis recommended Florida’s seaports receive $258.2 million out of the state’s share of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, to account for the losses accrued due to the no-sail order.

“If there is one thing we’ve learned over the past year, it’s that lockdowns don’t work, and Floridians deserve the right to earn a living,” said Governor DeSantis. “The cruise industry is essential to our state’s economy and keeping it shut down until November would be devastating to the men and women who rely on the cruise lines to provide for themselves and their families. I urge the CDC to immediately rescind this baseless no-sail order to allow Floridians in this industry to get back to work."

“It’s anchors aweigh for almost every travel industry in the U.S., yet the Biden administration is keeping our cruise liners docked—while many other major countries begin to operate cruises safely under health guidelines. The rationale for keeping U.S. cruises shuttered through the foreseeable future is based on outdated data and guidelines put in place before we had a COVID-19 vaccine," said Attorney General Ashley Moody. “The federal government is acting outside its authority in singling out and docking the cruise industry while other tourism-based businesses continue to operate in accordance with health guidelines. This heavy-handed federal overreach is harming our nation’s economy and is especially damaging to Florida’s economy and our vital tourism industry. That is why, we are calling on the Biden administration to lift the outdated lockdown order on Florida’s cruise industry and allow workers who rely on this important industry to get back to work.”

“Under Governor DeSantis’ leadership, the state continues to make key investments in our transportation system, but, because of the CDC’s no-sail order, the cruise industry is still struggling,” said FDOT Secretary Kevin J. Thibault, P.E. “The Governor and the state continue to do all that we can to help these members of our communities regain their livelihoods and we hope our federal counterparts follow suit.”

On March 14, the nation marked its one-year anniversary of the CDC’s no-sail order. A September 2020 report from the Federal Maritime Commission estimated that during the first 6 months of the pandemic, losses in Florida due to the cruise industry shutdown totalled $3.2 billion in economic activity, including 49,500 jobs paying $2.3 billion in wages. In addition, Florida saw wide-ranging indirect impacts throughout the state – from airports and ground transportation to hotels, restaurants, and tourist destinations. 

The COVID-19 pandemic’s effects on the cruise industry are part of a larger struggle facing the entire travel industry, which ended 2020 with $1.1 trillion in losses, a 42 percent drop from 2019.

This is from the same state that held a massive spring break pandemic spreader. DeSantis does not care if everyone comes, get the virus and spreads it. He only cares about money. As for loss of jobs that is what the pandemic relief unemployment is for. Oh yeah, his Senators voted against it. Give me break.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, thewebbys said:

This is from the same state that held a massive spring break pandemic spreader. DeSantis does not care if everyone comes, get the virus and spreads it. He only cares about money. As for loss of jobs that is what the pandemic relief unemployment is for. Oh yeah, his Senators voted against it. Give me break.

Oh for cryin out load... 

First it was the Super Bowl

then Speed Week 

then BikeWeek?  I am sure someone will correct me.

Now Spring Break...

None of the above created a surge what are you going to say in a month when this doesn't either...

Or someone let me know that this is just one of the doom and gloomers that I shouldn't respond to as it just eggs them on?

Edited by mauraoel
Typo
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Oh for cryin out load... 

First it was the Super Bowl

then Speed Week 

then BikeWeek?  I am sure someone will correct me.

Now Spring Break...

None of the above created a surge what are you going to say in a month when this doesn't either...

Or someone let me know that this is just one of the doom and gloomers that I should respond to as it just eggs them on?

I am just saying look at the stats. Where does Florida stand in the number of current cases? No you can't egg me on because I am not doom and gloomer just believe in the facts and science.

If you can show me facts where they did not create a surge I will stand corrected.

4 minutes ago, thewebbys said:

I am just saying look at the stats. Where does Florida stand in the number of current cases? No you can't egg me on because I am not doom and gloomer just believe in the facts and science.

If you can show me facts where they did not create a surge I will stand corrected.

"We are seeing no impact from the Super Bowl in the numbers,” says Dr. Thomas Unnasch of University of South Florida’s Center for Global Health Infectious Disease Research. “We would have expected to have seen an uptick in cases last week, but we have seen nothing. The case numbers have continued a very slow but steady decline. So apparently people paid attention and there was no super spreader event as far as we can tell."  Click Here for Full Article

This is just for the superbowl... I am sure you are just as capable of googling the information as I am.  So you can do your own research and determine what you want to believe I am done taking time out of my day to prove you wrong I have better things to do.

Just now, mauraoel said:

"We are seeing no impact from the Super Bowl in the numbers,” says Dr. Thomas Unnasch of University of South Florida’s Center for Global Health Infectious Disease Research. “We would have expected to have seen an uptick in cases last week, but we have seen nothing. The case numbers have continued a very slow but steady decline. So apparently people paid attention and there was no super spreader event as far as we can tell."  Click Here for Full Article

This is just for the superbowl... I am sure you are just as capable of googling the information as I am.  So you can do your own research and determine what you want to believe I am done taking time out of my day to prove you wrong I have better things to do.

Show me this data from someone that is not in FL. If you consider nearly 32K cases a week a good sign then enjoy your days in FL

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

DeSantis coudn't talk his best buddy Donald into opening up cruising (didn't seem like he really tried) so why does he think Biden will listen to him?

I believe the environment has changed. We now have a vaccine (Operation Warp Speed) that seems to be really doing well. I don’t recall any cruise lines asking to sail last year or early this year. The current administration is not going to do anything to make our Governor look better than he already is. The narrative has been proven wrong by Florida. 

M8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, I've taken a closer look at CLIA's figures for economic impact in the US.  They claim to have $24 billion in direct spending in the US (salaries of US employees, goods and services, taxes).  Yet the passenger boardings for US cruises tops out at 13.8 million, so they claim to spend $1700 per passenger in the US directly.  How many cruises from the US are $1700/person?  Any profit there? Also, total revenue, worldwide, for the industry is $38 billion, so if they are spending $24 billion of that in the US, and were making money prior to the pandemic, they must not be spending much in any other country. Some claims don't pass the smell test.

Can you send the link to the report? I’ve tried looking for it. 

3 hours ago, thewebbys said:

Can the politics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, I've taken a closer look at CLIA's figures for economic impact in the US.  They claim to have $24 billion in direct spending in the US (salaries of US employees, goods and services, taxes).  

On 3/16/2021 at 10:53 PM, chengkp75 said:

Cruise lines, themselves, through CLIA, admit that they only provide about $1/passenger in direct spending to the US, with the rest of the passenger fare leaving the US.  

Don't blame me for being a bit confused here. I wondered about your second claim as even just fees spent on travel agents should be more than a dollar per guest. Are these different numbers?

Edited by AmazedByCruising

6 hours ago, mauraoel said:

I'm not sure the Super Bowl is really a good metric. Only a fraction of the normal attendance was there. It's not like people were shoulder-to-shoulder.

16 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe the environment has changed. We now have a vaccine (Operation Warp Speed) that seems to be really doing well. I don’t recall any cruise lines asking to sail last year or early this year. The current administration is not going to do anything to make our Governor look better than he already is. The narrative has been proven wrong by Florida. 

M8

Give me a break Mr. flip flop. The cruise lines were asking to sail last year when they submitted their plans to the CDC. And a lot of people here were arguing that cruising was much riskier than schools and airplanes so it should be kept shut down, something about not being near a hospital etc. Right now only 15% of the U.S. is fully vaccinated, not nearly enough. Maybe by this summer things will be different but we're not there yet. You're now in full political mode here.

• Like 2

Wife and I have had the vaccine and are ready to travel.  Prior to vaccines, we were not ready to cruise.  

Since cruise lines are planning to cruise with vaccinated adults and perhaps some children, it seems that cruises could start sooner than November.    

Frankly, cruise lines, at first should just be open to vaccinated people, after all about 90 million people in the USA have at least one dose.   With vaccinations averaging about 2.5 million a day, by July   60% of people in the USA will be vaccinated.  

I am perplexed at all of the folks who say cruising is a luxury.  They might be right, but where is the line drawn?  Restaurants certainly are not critical? [Hate to use that abused term]. Nail salons?  Bars?  Hobby Lobby?  Fast food joints?  Convenience stores [by definition LOL].

I'm sure the discerning get the point.  Travel, whether for business or pleasure, is vital to almost all economies, and critical to many.  If you choose to stay at home, great.  Just don't p*ss on everybody else's parade.  And don't forget to washy washy.😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

Give me a break Mr. flip flop. The cruise lines were asking to sail last year when they submitted their plans to the CDC. And a lot of people here were arguing that cruising was much riskier than schools and airplanes so it should be kept shut down, something about not being near a hospital etc. Right now only 15% of the U.S. is fully vaccinated, not nearly enough. Maybe by this summer things will be different but we're not there yet. You're now in full political mode here.

That was before the vaccine. The vaccine has changed the playing field. Do you not agree?  I do still think the CDC doesn’t have a warm fuzzy if an outbreak occurs onboard. Hopefully, the vaccine changes that. Dr Flipflop is vaccinated and now wearing two masks. 

• Like 4