Car service from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan - recommendations please

Devon Bloke

Good morning,

I'd be interested in hearing other travellers’ recommendations for a car service from the  Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan when we arrive after our TA crossing on 22 December 2021. (I've used Dial 7 before, and they were ok (ish) )

We'll be self-disembarking by the way.

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 hours ago, Devon Bloke said:

Good morning,

I'd be interested in hearing other travellers’ recommendations for a car service from the  Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan when we arrive after our TA crossing on 22 December 2021. (I've used Dial 7 before, and they were ok (ish) )

For maybe 10 years now maybe 9 years New york has had thousands of green coloured taxis operating in the boroughs of Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem in Upper Manhattan where yellow taxis would never go. You see them driving past the cameras on TV shows filmed in Manhattan. 

You can get a green coloured boro taxi which picks up in the cruise terminal and say you have had that experience of travelling in one. That can take you into the city. I was most insistent we did that in December 2017.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Before the ferry was introduced, we always used Arecibo who are the local taxi company. Rates are published and they are very reasonable.

The ferry is now the quickest way and it's less than $3..

Good afternoon BigMac1953,

Thanks for your response and comments.

I was wondering about the ferry: I have two questions - 

(a) Luggage on the ferry: Each of us will have one large 4-wheeled suitcase with tote bag and one ruck sack each. Will that much luggage be manageable getting to the Red Hook ferry landing?

(b) Taxi's from Wall Street Pier 11: Do they pick up by Pier 11? 

Cheers

Andy

It's a walk on ferry with two decks. Many people with luggage use it, so providing you're reasonably comfortable carrying your own, then it would be quite straightforward. The ferry pier is only 100m from the cruise terminal.

There's a taxi rank near the ferry pier at Wall Street, but I can't remember exactly where. Certainly no shortage of yellow cabs as it's a very busy terminal.

If you prefer a car for the whole journey, here's Arecibo's rates: https://arecibocc.com/Rates 

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the ferry to/from Red Hook.  The ferries are quite spacious. Not only is it easy to roll everything aboard, there's plenty of free space in the cabin. 

On one trip we were heading to Penn Station. We took the ferry to Wall Street and connected to the ferry to 34th St, where we caught a taxi.  It only took a minute to flag one down.  The trip by cab from the East River to Penn Station took longer than the entire ferry ride! 

Here's a shot of the luggage for three of us, after a QM2 trip:

QM2_Luggage..jpg

• Like 1

Good afternoon Frankp01,

Thank  you so much for this really helpful comment and advice...particularly the pic  of your luggage on the ferry.

I'm a great fan of river ferries in cities (e.g. the Thames Clipper service in London https://www.thamesclippers.com/... we often use it when we're in London)

Ironically we took the QM2 from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on May 15 2017 - just a few weeks after the NYC ferry had first started operating...but didn't think to make use of it at the time.

I'd really like to try your suggested NYC ferry solution of Red Hook to Wall St,  then Wall St to East 34th St. and then grab a cab to our hotel (Homewood Suites on W 37th St)

The deciding factor will be the weather, obviously. Not sure if I'd be up to heading for and waiting for a ferry in rain...know what I mean?

Cheers

Andy

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

It's a walk on ferry with two decks. Many people with luggage use it, so providing you're reasonably comfortable carrying your own, then it would be quite straightforward. The ferry pier is only 100m from the cruise terminal.

There's a taxi rank near the ferry pier at Wall Street, but I can't remember exactly where. Certainly no shortage of yellow cabs as it's a very busy terminal.

If you prefer a car for the whole journey, here's Arecibo's rates: https://arecibocc.com/Rates 

Many thanks for your insights. Between yours and Frankp01's comments, you'ver really sold me on the ferry! 🙂(Just have to persuade my husband that it's a good idea too! 😉😁)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

I'm a huge fan of the ferry to/from Red Hook.  The ferries are quite spacious. Not only is it easy to roll everything aboard, there's plenty of free space in the cabin. 

On one trip we were heading to Penn Station. We took the ferry to Wall Street and connected to the ferry to 34th St, where we caught a taxi.  It only took a minute to flag one down.  The trip by cab from the East River to Penn Station took longer than the entire ferry ride! 

Here's a shot of the luggage for three of us, after a QM2 trip:

QM2_Luggage..jpg

Good afternoon Frankp01,

Thank  you so much for this really helpful comment and advice...particularly the pic  of your luggage on the ferry.

I'm a great fan of river ferries in cities (e.g. the Thames Clipper service in London https://www.thamesclippers.com/... we often use it when we're in London)

Ironically we took the QM2 from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on May 15 2017 - just a few weeks after the NYC ferry had first started operating...but didn't think to make use of it at the time.

I'd really like to try your suggested NYC ferry solution of Red Hook to Wall St,  then Wall St to East 34th St. and then grab a cab to our hotel (Homewood Suites on W 37th St)

The deciding factor will be the weather, obviously. Not sure if I'd be up to heading for and waiting for a ferry in rain...know what I mean?

Cheers

Andy

1 hour ago, Devon Bloke said:

I've never had to use it, but I'm almost certain that there's a waiting room at Pier 11/Wall Street.  Here's a photo from Google Maps, with the waiting room highlighted. There's no cover at the Brooklyn pier. But you could stay at the Cruise Terminal until just before the ferry arrived.

Pier 11.jpg

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 1

Where in Manhattan are you going?  Traffic will be terrible on 12/22 (Christmas] worse than it will be at other times.   Must you carry your bags ashore?   We are going to have Cunard take our bags to the pier and hopefully by then it will be at least past the rush hour.   We will also be considering the ferry because of the traffic.   

7 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

I seem to remember reading the tales of Capnpugwash (Fin) and he used to mention Arecibo. 

Has anyone heard from him?  Miss his reports. 

Jim is alive and well and still living in Surrey. We've actually used Arecibo together.

14 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Isn't the Red Hook terminal under cover? I seem to remember a roof.

I honestly couldn't remember. But, indeed, it is.  Here's a photo from an earlier thread on the ferry:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I honestly couldn't remember. But, indeed, it is.  Here's a photo from an earlier thread on the ferry:

Thanks for this. Husband now converted to getting into Manhattan via ferry!😜😁

On 3/26/2021 at 8:16 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Where in Manhattan are you going?  Traffic will be terrible on 12/22 (Christmas] worse than it will be at other times.   Must you carry your bags ashore?   We are going to have Cunard take our bags to the pier and hopefully by then it will be at least past the rush hour.   We will also be considering the ferry because of the traffic.   

I'm not so sure. Business traffic in Manhattan is very low in the week prior to Christmas and weekday hotel rates drop at a result (weekends can be different, but 22 Dec 2021 is a Wednesday). I've taken a cab from a midtown hotel to the pier on the morning of Dec 22 a couple of times (late morning, so possibly later than you'd be trying to go from the ship to Manhattan) and traffic was light. Cab drivers know to avoid the typical holiday bottlenecks.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:15 AM, Devon Bloke said:

Good morning,

Here's a link to my blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

Scroll down to section 'Black Cab from Brooklyn...' and all will be revealed.

• 3 months later...

We have done three TAs and always stayed near Central Park the night before boarding.  Each time we used Carmel car service going and coming back.  They were always reliable.  Sometimes it can be a real mob scene when disembarking in NYC and the cars and taxis get backed up.  Our drivers always seemed to find us just fine.  

Edited by DocLawDog
  • Like 1