It's About Time

How long would it actually take to sue the FEDERAL government?  Where would the trial be held?  Will they select a jury?  Do you think the FEDERAL government is frightened of a potential law suit?  Isn't DeSantis presumed to be planning a run for President in 2024?  Exactly how welcoming was Florida to the Holland America ship Zaandam last spring when all of this began and that ship had to return all the way from South America because no country would allow them to land and debark their passengers?

I suggest we all try to watch HBO on Tuesday night for their documentary "The Last Cruise", story of the Diamond Princess last spring.

7 minutes ago, teacherman said:

I suggest we all try to watch HBO on Tuesday night for their documentary "The Last Cruise", story of the Diamond Princess last spring.

A lot has changed since "last spring"......people are being vaccinated and the number of hospitalizations is vastly reduced. It is time to "look at the science" and open things back up, including cruising!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, teacherman said:

How long would it actually take to sue the FEDERAL government?  Where would the trial be held?  Will they select a jury?  Do you think the FEDERAL government is frightened of a potential law suit?  Isn't DeSantis presumed to be planning a run for President in 2024?  Exactly how welcoming was Florida to the Holland America ship Zaandam last spring when all of this began and that ship had to return all the way from South America because no country would allow them to land and debark their passengers?

They wouldn't sue to go to trial. They'd sue to get the CDC to settle or to get a court injunction.

And I have no interest in the Last Cruise as I'm sure it will falsely portray cruising as a covid petri dish.

• Like 4

That's funny.   I thought it would give us an interesting insight from passenger's perspective of how a ship and several countries dealt with an unexpected medical situation.  It would not be the same today, but there could be a different type of situation in the future.  We should try to learn from past situations so we can, hopefully, be prepared for any future situation that could occur.  I also have had 2 family cruises cancelled and currently have an Africa cruise scheduled for next January.  I am NOT anti cruise.  It can be done safely if we figure it out.  If people want to go through pre-testing and mask wearing and limited activities on a ship, then that is their choice.   And HBO is not CNN or Fox.  They are an entertainment station with many different programs, some amazing and some average.  But don't just cut yourself off from possible sources of information simply because it might be slanted.  I don't agree with much of the opinions I hear on some cable "news" networks, but I watch some of their shows daily to get a different perspective on events.

And I was on the Zaandam the cruise prior to their Covid situation.  I would not wanted to have been on that one.  Do you remember such ridiculous orders as to stay in your rooms, no one on a balcony, curtains closed as they went through the Panama Canal trying to get home?   Now that would make a good movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teacherman said:

That was way before anything was known about the virus, way before vaccinations and treatments.  Rehashing that cruise is not only stale news, it's like bringing up the 1918 pandemic.  We are light years ahead of that now.  How many people perished on that ship compared to total CV19 deaths? 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, teacherman said:

I don't really know what happened ON THE SHIP.  That is why I will watch it.

My guess is, there won't be many FACTS about what happened on the ship. It will all be speculation on what people THINK happened. I'm sure there will be some in-person stories told but a lot of it will be conjecture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cruiseguy1016 said:

My guess is, there won't be many FACTS about what happened on the ship. It will all be speculation on what people THINK happened. I'm sure there will be some in-person stories told but a lot of it will be conjecture.

That's what it is. It's a story on what people went through on the cruise, back when nobody knew what was going on. 

Can anyone confirm statistics from the Diamond Princess?  It isn’t easy to find but what has been available shows that the infection rates, hospitalization rates and death rates are not dissimilar from what society has seen with the same demographic for the entire country over the last year.  If true why is the cruise industry restricted when all other forms of travel and accommodations have been allowed to adapt and continue to provide service to those who choose to travel and take vacations?

2 minutes ago, Candocruises said:

Can anyone confirm statistics from the Diamond Princess?  It isn’t easy to find but what has been available shows that the infection rates, hospitalization rates and death rates are not dissimilar from what society has seen with the same demographic for the entire country over the last year.  If true why is the cruise industry restricted when all other forms of travel and accommodations have been allowed to adapt and continue to provide service to those who choose to travel and take vacations?

Exactly.  For being an older demographic (average age was 69) and there being zero knowledge of covid, what happened on the Diamond Princess was actually pretty mild, all things considered.