Anyone had any luck with getting a refund or winning a contested charge with their credit card?

cyrus360

We had purchased a November 2020 Alaskan cruise in April of 2020. Of course, the November cruise was cancelled due to covid and we got the bonus credits for rebooking another Alaskan cruise for April 2021. That cruise was also cancelled due to covid. We were told we would get 30% off our next booking and an additional 10% off coupon/credit to use.

This was fine and I went to rebook the same cruise and even with their "30% discount sale" the price was more than double. I reached out to NCL by phone and was told too bad so sad, no refunds for you. Because we took the bonus credit, that exempted us from receiving a refund. I said, you can take back your credits and just refund my money. They said no and refused to make any accomodation to resolve the issue.

Since I was looking at rebooking, it sends a notice to my cruise consultant to call me and close the deal. I told him there's no way I would rebook at more than double the price. He said he would be able to find a spot for me where there was no price difference and I waited for him to look and he was pretty much speechless. He couldn't justify booking at the inflated pricing either. He said he would talk to his supervisor and call me back, but of course, I never heard from him. I don't get calls from him either when I do a temp hold on a booking anymore. He knows no one is going to bother paying more than double for the same cruise.

I tried to contact NCL via social media and via email and got the same response, basically, pay our inflated prices or pack sand, sucker! So I contested the charges with my credit card. They refunded the money while they waited for the response from NCL. Then of course, NCL disputed my contesting of the charge and the credit card company charged it back again and now I have to contest their contesting of my initial contesting of the charge lol. The NCL response consisted of their cancellation policy, which is only applicable if I cancel the cruise, not them. So I am not sure how it will turn out at this point.

I looked up other cruise lines to see if their prices were in line with NCL's and they were nowhere near NCL's price point. Royal Caribbean was almost a 1/3rd lower in price, Carnival was half the price and Celebrity was $2000 less. The price gouging doesn't seem to be an industry trend so much as a mad cash grab by NCL to keep their coffers stuffed before they declare bankruptcy and stiff everyone.

I am not sure what I am going to do if I get stuck with this charge. I can't in good conscience pay over double for the same cruise. Sure different dates will have different pricing and I am sure prices would fluctuate a bit but going from $3200 for a 9 day Alaskan cruise to $7200 for the same cruise is absolutely insane. Keep in mind, that price is with their "30% off sale and 10% discount". 

• Like 1

Hashed and rehashed on this board over and over for the last year.  Cancellation #1 you were offered the refund or the FCC with some bonus thrown in.  When you re-book the cruise you are using the FCC as your payment method.  When the cruise is cancelled it is refunded to the form of payment used, in the case of the second cruise that would be the FCC.

It's been suggested in some of the numerous other threads that you could always find someone to "buy" it from you, possibly at less than full value.  The FCC can be transferred once.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cyrus360 said:

We had purchased a November 2020 Alaskan cruise in April of 2020. Of course, the November cruise was cancelled due to covid and we got the bonus credits for rebooking another Alaskan cruise for April 2021. That cruise was also cancelled due to covid. We were told we would get 30% off our next booking and an additional 10% off coupon/credit to use.

This was fine and I went to rebook the same cruise and even with their "30% discount sale" the price was more than double. I reached out to NCL by phone and was told too bad so sad, no refunds for you. Because we took the bonus credit, that exempted us from receiving a refund. I said, you can take back your credits and just refund my money. They said no and refused to make any accomodation to resolve the issue.

Since I was looking at rebooking, it sends a notice to my cruise consultant to call me and close the deal. I told him there's no way I would rebook at more than double the price. He said he would be able to find a spot for me where there was no price difference and I waited for him to look and he was pretty much speechless. He couldn't justify booking at the inflated pricing either. He said he would talk to his supervisor and call me back, but of course, I never heard from him. I don't get calls from him either when I do a temp hold on a booking anymore. He knows no one is going to bother paying more than double for the same cruise.

I tried to contact NCL via social media and via email and got the same response, basically, pay our inflated prices or pack sand, sucker! So I contested the charges with my credit card. They refunded the money while they waited for the response from NCL. Then of course, NCL disputed my contesting of the charge and the credit card company charged it back again and now I have to contest their contesting of my initial contesting of the charge lol. The NCL response consisted of their cancellation policy, which is only applicable if I cancel the cruise, not them. So I am not sure how it will turn out at this point.

I looked up other cruise lines to see if their prices were in line with NCL's and they were nowhere near NCL's price point. Royal Caribbean was almost a 1/3rd lower in price, Carnival was half the price and Celebrity was $2000 less. The price gouging doesn't seem to be an industry trend so much as a mad cash grab by NCL to keep their coffers stuffed before they declare bankruptcy and stiff everyone.

I am not sure what I am going to do if I get stuck with this charge. I can't in good conscience pay over double for the same cruise. Sure different dates will have different pricing and I am sure prices would fluctuate a bit but going from $3200 for a 9 day Alaskan cruise to $7200 for the same cruise is absolutely insane. Keep in mind, that price is with their "30% off sale and 10% discount". 

People have had some limited success in reaching out to their states attorney generals office.

The case that you need to make isn't that NCL has virtually doubled their prices, but that here you are a year later and still unable to use such credit. Therefore a refund should be issued for that reason.

Everyone did make a decision to accept FCC versus a refund but nobody was told NCL was planning to raise fares by so much. While it may be legal for them to do that, it certainly would fall under the category of "deceiving".

I did file a complaint with the attorney general's office in Washington State. 

I wasn't aware you could sell your credits. For some reason, even though I am the primary person booking/paying for the cruise, they divvied up the credits between me and my wife. Even though she's listed as a passenger when I book.

22 minutes ago, cyrus360 said:

I did file a complaint with the attorney general's office in Washington State. 

I wasn't aware you could sell your credits. For some reason, even though I am the primary person booking/paying for the cruise, they divvied up the credits between me and my wife. Even though she's listed as a passenger when I book.

At some point last year during all the cancellations they changed the policy so that the primary on the account could request all the points.  I would assume that they could be transferred now if you wish.  Certainly your wife could transfer them to your account.

Its a sad situation but it was your decision to forego a cash refund for a FCC. You know they don't owe you any money now simply because you don't like their new prices . You can try a chargback but when you accept their terms and conditions you do just that and you'll lose. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cyrus360 said:

Because we took the bonus credit, that exempted us from receiving a refund.

Correct.

I said, you can take back your credits and just refund my money.

When you agreed to take the FCC, you agreed that "...FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash." - NCL

The price gouging doesn't seem to be an industry trend so much as a mad cash grab by NCL to keep their coffers stuffed before they declare bankruptcy and stiff everyone.

Some people chose to take the cash refund. You did not. Nobody forced you into your decision. If there was never an option for a cash refund, your point would be valid. 

Sure different dates will have different pricing and I am sure prices would fluctuate a bit but going from $3200 for a 9 day Alaskan cruise to $7200 for the same cruise is absolutely insane.

What you can do is wait until after final payment date and once prices drop, try to book at the reduced rate. If nothing is available, the original price was correct if enough people booked at those higher prices. If nobody books at the higher prices, NCL asked too much and you will have plenty of options.

• Like 4

I smelled a rat on the front end and politely declined the FCC.  Then NCL said it would take something like two months to refund my money.  Credit card laws suggest otherwise, and my contested charges were promptly refunded.  Eventually, NCL issued the refund to my CC, but it just became a bookkeeping exercise at that point.  I believe that I even received some interest on that money that they had "borrowed" for several months (even though I never pay interest on my CC). 😎

Lesson learned: never take the store credit Itchy and Scratchy "bucks," get the cash.

• Like 2

I believe anyone that took FCC now has a chargeback case, for one the customer took the credit in the believe that it could have been used in the last twelve months, furthermore NCL can not give a date for sailing.

I take the view if you explained to your CC company that issue they could not refuse to take your case up, also throughout this epidemic NCL has continued to advertise, take bookings for cruises that they knew wouldn’t sail, they have acted like a Ponzi scheme, with the knowledge they are able to instruct chapter 11 anytime that suits them....

• Like 2

I tried to explain it to the credit card company but they're basically idiots so far. I have to respond to Norwegians rebuttal of my dispute even though the documents they submitted don't support their case at all.

I am guessing it will take months to resolve it with the card company. You can't seem to talk to the ones who actually review the material and make the decisions only the base level reps who read you their scripts and tell you to keep sending in the same paperwork over and over.

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

I believe anyone that took FCC now has a chargeback case, for one the customer took the credit in the believe that it could have been used in the last twelve months, furthermore NCL can not give a date for sailing.

I take the view if you explained to your CC company that issue they could not refuse to take your case up, also throughout this epidemic NCL has continued to advertise, take bookings for cruises that they knew wouldn’t sail, they have acted like a Ponzi scheme, with the knowledge they are able to instruct chapter 11 anytime that suits them....

When NCL started offering future cruise credits a year ago do you think THEY knew anymore than we did at the time? Just because people chose poorly and are kicking themselves in the pants doesn’t make it anyone else’s fault except their own .... sorry, I know it’s not helpful but it’s the sad truth. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

People have had some limited success in reaching out to their states attorney generals office.

The case that you need to make isn't that NCL has virtually doubled their prices, but that here you are a year later and still unable to use such credit. Therefore a refund should be issued for that reason.

Everyone did make a decision to accept FCC versus a refund but nobody was told NCL was planning to raise fares by so much. While it may be legal for them to do that, it certainly would fall under the category of "deceiving".

No it should not.  We all agreed when we took the FCC that it had and never will have cash value even in the event of future cancellations.  Cruise prices change all the time.  No one ever stated that there would be a price match made, and it was not part of the initial FCC offer.  You ASSuming that NCL knew at any given point that the fares would be increasing any specific amount is just that an ASSumption.  NCL has already stated that they plan to extend the expiration on all FCC so that it can be used once sailing starts again.  If anyone does not like the prices cruise are being offer at any time, all they need to do is wait for prices to come down to what they are willing to pay.

• Like 2

You do realize that filing a charge back for something that you have already received a refund for is fraud right?  Just because one changes his mind on accepting the FCC offer does not excuse him from being held to what he agreed to.   Filing a false charge back claim is a criminal act.  You probably will not be charged but it is illegal.  Also, even if you initialy do get credited (most companies will automatically approve a temporary charge back), once they investigate and find out that you did indeed get fully refunded as agreed to, the temporary reversal will be removed and interest charged from the date of the initial charge.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

No it should not.  We all agreed when we took the FCC that it had and never will have cash value even in the event of future cancellations.  Cruise prices change all the time.  No one ever stated that there would be a price match made, and it was not part of the initial FCC offer.  You ASSuming that NCL knew at any given point that the fares would be increasing any specific amount is just that an ASSumption.  NCL has already stated that they plan to extend the expiration on all FCC so that it can be used once sailing starts again.  If anyone does not like the prices cruise are being offer at any time, all they need to do is wait for prices to come down to what they are willing to pay.

That may be your interpretation but consumers do have some levels of protection even in this case. That's why some have been successful in getting a refund.

When a customer agrees to take future cruise credit in lieu of a refund there is a reasonable expectation that you can use that credit in the near future. Which again is why some people have been successful in getting their money back even after choosing a future credit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

When NCL started offering future cruise credits a year ago do you think THEY knew anymore than we did at the time? Just because people chose poorly and are kicking themselves in the pants doesn’t make it anyone else’s fault except their own .... sorry, I know it’s not helpful but it’s the sad truth. 

I have no clue what they knew or didn't know. I don't think it's choosing poorly when you've been a customer of the company for a long time and they offer to rectify the situation and you're more than happy to keep your business with them because they've always been good and fair with you. I think it's a fair expectation they would try to work out something and not tell you to take it or leave it.

The money they make by gouging us in the situation will hopefully fall woefully short of the money they would've made in the future by keeping the same customers loyal to them and spending money with them for years to come.

I wasn't posting to debate who's at fault but more if anyone has had luck getting their money back in any way.

I would try but first write out your narrative.   Keep it concise and complete.   I am not in this particular situation but I have won every dispute and appeal I have ever attempted from eBay to tax appraisals.   Do it soon since you are almost a year out from payment.  Travel can be covered by chargeback rules up to 2 years.  Good luck 

there is no downside to trying.  

Edited by Mary229

I've already done it. I put together multiple printouts with details on each explaining everything. It was all clear and concise. However, it seems like all it takes is for the merchant to fire back with, "No, I don't think so pal!" and dump 10 pages that doesn't cover any part of this particular situation.

So Capital One puts the charges back, and I have to submit another dispute, this time responding specifically to the documents they sent. It's just tedious. Capital One said it's not their fault, they're blaming Visa for the convoluted process.

Well, I don't know why anyone would have paid for a cruise in April when it was becoming more evident this was simply not going to go away.

I opted for a refund- even with a discount or whatever there was no guarantee the cruise would sail within a year and that prices would be the same.

I doubt the credit card companies are t the idiots as this has more to do with NCL policy and those who chose not to receive a refund. 

I requested a refund because I had paid for a May,2020 cruise from NYC to Bermuda that wasn't going to be offerred on the same ship in either 2021 and 2022 and certainly not in a post-pandemic world.

In addition, I had already watched the news about the Princess cruises and decided I would need to wait more than the year NCL was offering for a credit.

Simply, put I paid for a product that was not going to be delivered so I got a refund (kind of like for a pizza so to speak). In the back of my mind I was concerned with NCL going into chapter 11 and not being able to collect anything. I am glad I made the decision, got the money back and then didn't have to go around wasting anyones time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cyrus360 said:

Capital One said it's not their fault, they're blaming Visa for the convoluted process.

It is VISA but cap one is not the best at helping the customer.  I wish you success.   This NCL policy is just wrong.  I have sailed Oceania and NCL but stories like yours prevent me from booking, it is just a bad business practice and contemptuous 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Maybe NCL will provide cash refunds going back to March 2020 for those that don't want to get the vaccination. Another cruise line just did when they went full vaccination.

Sounds like a winner....but how do you prove you don't want to get a vaccination?

I agree with this.  I think it would much easier to prove you did get the vaccine than it would to prove you didn't.  All you would have to say is no I did not get the vaccine.  How could they prove you didn't.

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You do realize that filing a charge back for something that you have already received a refund for is fraud right?  Just because one changes his mind on accepting the FCC offer does not excuse him from being held to what he agreed to.   Filing a false charge back claim is a criminal act.  You probably will not be charged but it is illegal.  Also, even if you initialy do get credited (most companies will automatically approve a temporary charge back), once they investigate and find out that you did indeed get fully refunded as agreed to, the temporary reversal will be removed and interest charged from the date of the initial charge.

LOL, 😂 cheerleaders!

• Like 1