Windstar Will Require Vaccine

SailingSteve77

in the FAQ section of the Covid Health and Safety page, their answer to "what if I am denied boarding?" is:

Windstar’s partners on site will assist guests in finding a local hotel or in securing transportation to a medical center at the guests’ expense. 

If you test positive in the Caribbean, you’d need to follow the local guidelines there that will likely include quarantine as well.  

We just returned from the BVI and purchased an insurance plan that covered quarantine costs just in case. 14-days of Q if you test positive while in the country. 

7 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

Just spoke with Windstar about PCR or antigen test prior to boarding. I asked what would happen if a passenger, who was fully vaccinated tested positive on the preboarding test. The answer was “We don’t know”. This concerns me. It is possible that a fully vaccinated person could test positive. What do you do, especially if you are in a foreign country and this happens to you? There are still so many unknowns.

I have tried to reach out to windstar regarding this and a few other things. I have received no answer. 

PCR tests (all of them) look for specific genetic material. rt-PCR (Reverse transcription - not REAL TIME as the media states) amplifies the sample looking for even the smallest of small traces of the virus.   Good you say, no so fast.  People who have had covid can test positive from rt-PCR and their body continues to expel bits of the virus or dead virus for up to 6 months.  This is why some places say a proof that you were positive is allowed instead of a negative test.  It is also true (but do not take it out context) that a positive rt-PCR means the virus was on your sample, not that you were infected.  That said, it is the BEST test for detecting the virus early and to prevent testing.  My wife uses this in her lab AND occasionally contamination occurs, which is why negatively controls are always used in her experiments (to prevent false positives).   Antigen test are less sensitive and early on are less likely to find the virus early.   It is far less likely to give a false positive.  If you have PCR questions, I can ask my wife.  She refuses to watch any news or read articles about it, because they are all very misleading or just plain wrong.

I think windstar needs to publish a full protocol that is transparent including how they plan test, quarantine and to validate vaccines of passengers (the CDC card is not valid proof it is beyond easy to fake).  Windstar's passengers deserve the facts, because they are highly educated people who like to make informed decisions.

Getting vaccinated will not make you test positive from the vaccine. (But testing positive after having it and recovering is still a small potential issue)

On another note, several resort chains have started free covid test to return back to the USA AND free 14 days of quarantine  (which I imagine is not very fun) if you test positive.  It is an interesting tack in the world we live in.

15 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

If you test positive in the Caribbean, you’d need to follow the local guidelines there that will likely include quarantine as well.  

We just returned from the BVI and purchased an insurance plan that covered quarantine costs just in case. 14-days of Q if you test positive while in the country. 

What company did you get this insurance from?  Thanks

29 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

What company did you get this insurance from?  Thanks

Its the Safe Travels Voyager plan from Trawick. I bought it through Insubuy and spoke to a rep there before I purchased as many plans cover Covid medical now but quarantine (unless it takes place IN a hospital) is not a part of the medical. We had $300/pp/pday covered under travel delay which specified quarantine related lodging costs. You can adjust to cover more if you want to pay a little more on the premium.

Edited by minidonuts85
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Its the Safe Travels Voyager plan from Trawick. I bought it through Insubuy and spoke to a rep there before I purchased as many plans cover Covid medical now but quarantine (unless it takes place IN a hospital) is not a part of the medical. We had $300/pp/pday covered under travel delay which specified quarantine related lodging costs. You can adjust to cover more if you want to pay a little more on the premium.

Thanks.  Going to Costa Rica in the fall, and they are requiring quarantine insurance.  I will look into them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caymancouple said:

Thanks.  Going to Costa Rica in the fall, and they are requiring quarantine insurance.  I will look into them.

I’ve had two friends purchase the same plan for Costa Rica and no problems. Enjoy your trip!! Love it there! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 2:11 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That is now happening, in Florida, Texas, Europe.  The nay-sayers were wrong on that.

Could you please clarify whether or not Windstar are now vaccinating their crew ? Apologies if your post is unrelated to this question.

1 hour ago, Nearpost345 said:

Could you please clarify whether or not Windstar are now vaccinating their crew ? Apologies if your post is unrelated to this question.

I have not heard anything about Windstar vaccinating crew [one way or the other]

Windstar states the following in their FAQ:
IS THE CREW VACCINATED?
Windstar’s intent is for the crew to be vaccinated as soon as vaccinations are available to them. Not all crew may have access to vaccines by the time we resume sailing. Whether vaccinated or not, crew will wear masks, socially distance, and go through regimented COVID-19 related surveillance continuously and be COVID-19 tested weekly. 

Thanks Jazzbeau and R&RD

I had read that announcement a few weeks ago, I was just hoping that Windstar had updated their policy to something more concrete, mandating vaccines for crew etc. I believe some of the larger cruise lines are mandating vaccines for their crew so I’m interested to hear a plausible explanation as to why Windstar are not. We’re sailing in September so hopefully this situation will evolve in a more positive direction.

I appreciate that it is difficult for cruise lines to balance safety with their desire to restart cruising.  I am good with either the vaccine requirement or PCR test, but not both.  I have already done the PCR test coming and going a couple of times.  I have decided not to do it again.  It sounds reasonable on the surface, but the reality is a lot more complicated, stressful and expensive.   Requiring a PCR test within a 3 day window is just not practical in a lot of locations.  I was told 3-5 business days to receive my results.  Otherwise I could make a 2 hr round trip drive and pay $400 to go to a private clinic for a rapid test.  Then you need one for the trip home.  

I also concerned about having to purchase all organized tours instead of having the freedom to leave the ship on my own 

Edited by lhcruzin