Is Nonrefundable Deposit Returned if HAL Cancels?

cruiserchuck

I am getting my second vaccine shot this week, and am starting to look at cruises for November/December.  If I book a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit, and HAL cancels the cruise, is the deposit refunded?  I assume it is, but have not been able to find anything to confirm this.

32 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I am getting my second vaccine shot this week, and am starting to look at cruises for November/December.  If I book a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit, and HAL cancels the cruise, is the deposit refunded?  I assume it is, but have not been able to find anything to confirm this.

All of mine have been refunded.  The nonrefundable deposits for cruises that I cancelled were not refunded.

Edited by Crew News

My non refundable deposit was refunded when HAL cancelled my Hawaii cruise 5 days before departure in March of 2020.  It took 90 days to get the refund, which HAL did refund in full.

Just be sure before you book with a non refundable deposit that you can live with whatever CV protocols maybe in place.  We don’t yet know what they will be but could potentially be fairly restrictive.  You could have a cruise sail that in the end you wish didn’t.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Thanks for the responses.  It turned out that there was a past guest rate with a refundable deposit that was lower than the nonrefundable deposit rate.  So we went with the past guest rate. 

Smart move.

I would be very reluctant to book a non refundable right now.  

@KirkNC makes a good point.  The cruise might sail but it might not be with conditions you want.  Refundable solves all of that.

Hope your cruise can go and you have a good one 🤞 

• Like 2

To answer the original question, when the pause started, yes HAL was refunding/giving cruise credit for non-refundable deposits but that is not to say that will continue. They were also at one time offering Future cruise credit of double of the deposit, and in the beginning offering that was a lot more than the 110% they are offering now. But with all the recent pauses they have been giving less. So another words if you are willing to gamble your odds are good you will get future cruise credit but they could decide to change that at any time. 😄

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, cruiserchuck said:

The cruise is in December, so we should have plenty of time to see how things are going and what the protocols are.  However, as long as they feed us three meals a day, I should be ok with whatever conditions they impose.  

What makes you think the CDC will approve the idea of three meals a day!  Since they think they are now running the cruise lines we might well seek CDC imposing maximum meals, maximum calories, etc. all in the name of Public Health.  Come to think of it we might also have nightly bedtimes since the CDC certainly would not trust the public to make such a difficult decision.  And we could see a new requirement that partners must sleep at least 3 feet apart (or maybe 6 feet).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What makes you think the CDC will approve the idea of three meals a day!  Since they think they are now running the cruise lines we might well seek CDC imposing maximum meals, maximum calories, etc. all in the name of Public Health.  Come to think of it we might also have nightly bedtimes since the CDC certainly would not trust the public to make such a difficult decision.  And we could see a new requirement that partners must sleep at least 3 feet apart (or maybe 6 feet).

Hank

Your hyperbole seemingly knows no bounds. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2021 at 4:04 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Good one!  👏