The Daily for Tuesday Apr 06, 2021

richwmn

Today is California Poppy Day, National Tartan Day, and New Beers Eve

Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act. - Truman Capote

Meal suggestion for today - Bavarian Apple-Sausage Hash

Drink of the Day - Fiery Empress

Wine of the day - San Simeon 2019 Estate Reserve Pinot Noir (Monterey) Central Coast

Port of the Day - Oranjestad Aruba

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/10
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/11
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/8

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Gibraltar
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0406USA.thumb.png.72d9a90cf97d9bb349bec9550e03d2c2.png

0406Europe.thumb.png.50a221d6db417e1ccc1ab75e7b030abc.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily.

New Beers Eve!  Love it.

California poppies are beautiful.  Not sure if our family has a tartan.

Love the quote - too true.

The dinner suggestion sounds good.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

We were in Aruba many years ago on a partial Panama Canal cruise.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 19

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  New Beers Eve sounds a bit strange, the other 2 days are worthy of celebrating, especially National Tartan Day with my Scottish heritage.  Capote certainly has a way with words.  A very popular port today..  The hash sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Coconut Nutmeg Soup, New York Sirloin Steak, and Tiramisu as served on MS Amsterdam April 6,  2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

RIP Harvey Cohen

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Congratulations Baylor

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Belated Happy Brithday to NextOne and Bobpatj

Cruising along’s Easter getaway

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.

Well, I don't have a tartan and I only drink beer on hot summer days when I'm working in the yard, so I'll have to celebrate California Poppy Day.   I used to set a cold beer on the back steps and I got a drink for every row down the yard and back up that I did with the mower.   Made mowing the grass more fun, even if the rows were slightly crooked towards the end.  

It is supposed to be a beautiful day here with temps in the mid 70s and sunshine.  After the pool this morning we're going hiking, checking out another local park.   Should be fun!  The reward is lunch after the hike.

Today's meal sounds good.  There are some some great ideas in the comments section.   I may try this one.  Roy's alternative menu sounds just as good.  I'd love to try the soup, but I bet it is full of sugar.

1 cup: 310 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bavarian-apple-sausage-hash/

Bavarian-Apple-Sausage-Hash_EXPS_SDON18_195731_E06_13_3b-7.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Love the Poppy field pictures I've seen.  No Tartan in our family and DH likes beer, me not so much.

The meal looks and sounds wonderful.  May try this for dinner tonight.

Really like the Capote quote.

Going to be a wonderful day here in Florida.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Fiery Empress:

Goldschläger 1 Tbsp Rum, 151 proof Dash cinnamon Mix Bailey's, Butterscotch Schnapps and Goldschläger together and pour into martini glass. Light the rum on fire and sprinkle with cinnamon. The cinnamon will sparkle in the flame! 

The photo did not match the description.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 7.24.19 AM.png

• Like 24

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I had never heard of National Beers Eve so I had to go looking.  In 1933 people lined up at the doors of their favourite public house to prepare to have their first legal brew in 13 years after prohibition.  Tomorrow should be New Beers Day when they could imbibe.

Love poppies and Tartans and the quote by Capote

The meal suggestion for today is a good one.  I’ve made something similar sans hash.  But, tonight will be the lamb.  We had so much ham left over we decided to work on leftovers last night - especially with the mess I was making transplanting 😉 

@cat shepardhad prayers for everyone trying on summer clothes yesterday.  My response to that one:

90A15367-A8EE-46B9-B19D-828617800ACE.thumb.jpeg.8862f0318a84fa2b088d5de1ae268438.jpeg

Like many, I’ve been to Aruba.  Pictures are way too old to post here and I’m sure some have much more recent ones.  We do miss travelling...

686AA078-B261-45CD-A20B-F2FFAC907718.thumb.jpeg.3bc01fdc0628511d19a9cd873023b398.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.

A55849C0-D534-4484-8C40-100FC9F37D5A.thumb.jpeg.32107c5f922000761ddd4ac6fe0d2df9.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget to wear your masks 😷 

• Like 32
  • Haha 1

Rich:

Thank you for the DAILY Fleet Report.   Roy thank you for the Care and Shout Out lists.  Summer Slope thank you for the drink mixing lesson.   It will be near 80 in Naperville. 

• Like 13

Good morning everyone. I don’t like beer, but I do recall my mother rinsing my hair with it and wonder what that’s all about. Capote certainly had a way with words. His quote is very true.

I’m up early again for my second round of deep perio scaling by the hygienist . I survived yesterday so today should go well.

Its supposed to be another beautiful day in the neighborhood. Yesterday, DH pulled out the patio furniture and we cleaned it off. It’s finally spring.

We’ve been to Aruba several times on cruise ships but have no pictures. I recall spending a great day at one of the hotels where we had lunch and use of the facilities.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 22

Stopped at Oranjestad, Aruba in January 1993 on our first cruise (Royal Caribbean with members of our square dance club). Took the tour around the island and then a "submarine" ride. No digital images - just mental ones. Hope to stop there again in November.

DH has Scottish ancestors on both sides.

• Like 18

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Happy New Beers Eve, Dailyites!

Jacqui, thank you for the explanation! Love tartans & Poppy’s!

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Morning everyone! Interesting quote. The meal sounds good Debbie. Love the name of the drink Summer. I may have to Google at least one ingredient. And I agree the picture does not seem to match the description. 

Today is another lovely day in the neighborhood. This evening a group of us will visit our Beachfront Winery for happy hour and then move on to a local restaurant that just opened. Both places have high marks on pandemic protocol, and their outdoor seating areas have a view that is hard to beat.

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone.

Though this winery does not appear to release a Pinot Noir every year, the vintages they do release have excellent ratings.  Maybe they are picky about what they release.🤔. And unlike yesterday’s wine, this one is available from one online distributor for as low as $14.97!  I am adding this one to my list. I may have to add a wine cellar to my office at this rate.

Winemaker Notes

#12 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

San Simeon Pinot Noir is a rich, fruit-driven wine with ripe flavors of strawberry and raspberry. The mouth is soft and round with a lingering finish. Aromas of bright red fruit, cinnamon, and oak spice are revealed on the fragrant nose.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: Fresh out of the gates, this bottling is singing in opulent aromas of Bing cherry pie, clove, mace and rosewater. There is a load of baking spice on the palate, from nutmeg to star anise, while the silky smooth mouthfeel presents flavors of cherry and mulberry.

• Like 21

Thanks Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and everyone who enjoys the Daily.

Love California Poppies growing across the hills.  Will have a wee dram in honor of Tartan Day while wearing a Tartan scarf.  I, too, had to look up New Beer's Eve.  Definitely have a nice beer tomorrow.

We visited Aruba in Dec 2018 as the last of the ABCs.  We took the local bus to the Butterfly Farm where the butterflies liked hanging out on DH.  Then caught one of the local van's back to Oranjestad where we just wandered about.

Prayers to all those on the care list and those that need them.  Best wishes to all.

20181223_094426.jpg

DSCN0658.JPG

DSCN0686.JPG

• Like 23

We were in Aruba on Good Friday of 2019, so most businesses were closed. The locals were camping on the beaches, following decades of tradition for Holy Week. 

I was impressed with their education system, especially language learning. Everyone spoke Papiamento and learned Dutch and English. Many knew Portuguese and Spanish as well. 

They still issue new license plates every year and license plates from previous years became a decorative feature. 

I hadn't done any study or preparation for what the climate would be like and was surprised by the cactus forests and the dryness of the island. Cactus wood was used for building and cactus was even cultivated as fences for some yards.

Their desalinization plant was immense and ingenious.

Energy-wise, they seemed to be pretty green.

@kazuYou seem to know a lot more about your southern neighbor then most of us in the states know about Canada. Did Canada ever have prohibition? I think I remember family history in Washington state mentioning moonshine runs over the border and lots of federal revenuers patrolling the various routes in and out of the country. 

• Like 22

10 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

@kazuYou seem to know a lot more about your southern neighbor then most of us in the states know about Canada. Did Canada ever have prohibition? I think I remember family history in Washington state mentioning moonshine runs over the border and lots of federal revenuers patrolling the various routes in and out of the country. 

Prohibition here was not like the United States.  There was only a National Prohibition for about 2 years - which was in essence a war time measure.

However, different provinces had different temperance rules and while most of them repealed the national war time prohibition in 1920 alcohol was illegal in PEI from 1902 - 1948 and Ontario had a Temperance Act from 1916 - 1927.

So yes, people in Washington State could have easily done moonshine runs to some of the Canadian provinces quite easily for most of the time.😉 

Edited to say the Temperance Act in Ontario was a bit of contradiction.  Sale of alcohol was not permitted but import and production of alcohol was permitted and exported.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  California poppies are lovely, unfortunately there are no tartans in either of our families, and when we're on a cruise we have a family tradition of a "beer in every port", so will pretend we're on one today and celebrate New Beer's Eve.  

We've been to Aruba many times, and just enjoy wandering around the shops of Orangestad for a while, then settling in to a bar table overlooking the main street with a cold beverage and a burger to people watch.  When I think of Aruba I think total relaxation.

Today I'm going to get my hair cut and coloured - I'm beginning to look like a mangy tortoiseshell cat, and it's not a flattering look.  DH isn't complaining, but whenever I pass a mirror, I look at the image and think "That can't be right."

I'm getting tired of cooking - anyone else feel that way?  Even with the nice pictures and great sounding recipes, it's starting to feel like a chore.  I think I'll switch things up tonight by making salmon patty burgers.  Served with a side of coleslaw, that's what will be on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Good Morning everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach

No Tartans here and I am not a beer lover.  Like many others, I have been to Aruba a few times on a cruise.

Since Florida opened up the vaccines to everyone , I was able to schedule both of my kids ( adult)  for shots on Friday. Very happy!  My DD  is disabled and I have kept her ( and us) very isolated.  Once I made the appointment, I went online and ordered Frommers guide to Australia and New Zealand. We are booked to go there in the fall of 22. So more optimistic! Hopefully something to really look forward to!

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 18

Good morning all! Port Everglades is getting ready for you. They're fortifying the jetty with new rocks. A crane barge pushed by a tug has been adding boulders for the last two weeks or so.

PXL_20210406_131458873.jpg2199220076020442564_PerfectlyClear~01.jpg

PXL_20210406_131458873.jpg2199220076020442564_PerfectlyClear~01~01.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 1

Yes,@Ger_77, I  am  also  very  tired  of  cooking,even  with  the  nice  recipes  added  here  daily.

Good  morning  to  all  and  thanks  for  lists, days  and  the  recipe. I  salute  Tartans  and  used  to  love beer. We  have  been  to  Aruba  twice  on  land  based  trips  with  DB  and  DSIL. I  didn't  take  pictures  for  some  reason. My  fondest  memory  is  going  on a  boat  pulled  float  ride  with  DSIL. It  looked  like  a  couch  and  we  thought"how  bad  can  that  be?"I  think  the  operator  of  the  ride  was  alarmed  to  see  two  gray  haired  grandmas but  took  us anyway. We  laughed  so  hard  during  the  whole  thing-we  were  terrified  we  would  fly  off. To  this  day  she  threatens  to  make  me  go  on  it  again......Terry

• Like 19