The Daily for Wednesday Apr 07, 2021

richwmn

Thanks for the shoutout Roy.  Good day to everyone.

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome to the Daily.

Not feeling particularly happy today.

After almost 2 hours on the phone with the IRS today I found out that our return/refund is being held for possible identity theft (huh?). We filed electronically more than 6 weeks ago and still waiting for the refund.  No cigar.  

So we have to wait for a letter and then call and prove our identity.  

Not a good start to our day. 

Anyway.  Hope everyone else is having a good day.  Roy, will keep you in my prayers for your impending heart surgery.  i keep a list and you will be entered.

Take care everyone.

Terri

• Like 18

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just a thought- are you a Costco or Auto Club member? We have used their buying services to purchase vehicles in a “no-haggle “ format. I even special ordered my Subi that way, and got a great price. They email you the contact information for the dealers participating, and you talk with only the person who is designated.

That's good to know about AAA, my car is 12 years old - but I only drive around town. Once in awhile a roundtrip to Jax - about 75 miles each way. Hoping to not have to replace it anytime soon.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Not the one I was thinking of, but a song about another Beaver.

Always LOVED that song!  And one of those Kenmore planes was the one in which I earned my ASES (floatplane) rating.

• Like 11

Love, love, love popcorn, any type including carmel corn but my go to is plain salted with a bit of butter flavoring. I aloways thought that beavers were fascinating animal and wished that some lived in my vicinity. I guess the s/w deserts are not a favorite of beavers.

Love chili dogs, love hand tossed pizza, the thought of a mesh up of the two, not very appetizing.

The closest we came to Greenland was aboard the Eurodam 2008 VOV when we cruised through the ice fields for 2 or 3 days. (I was notified of the death of my mother on the first day and we were unable to get off the ship until  we got to St. John's Newfoundland).  

Roy  please update us on how your tests are going and if you have a date for your surgery.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

After almost 2 hours on the phone with the IRS today I found out that our return/refund is being held for possible identity theft (huh?). We filed electronically more than 6 weeks ago and still waiting for the refund.  No cigar.  

So we have to wait for a letter and then call and prove our identity.  

HOLY COW, Terri 😱 😬 😱 That’s awful.  WTH??  I hope you can get it straightened out FAST.  🤞 So sorry to hear this 😢 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ..........................., International Beaver Day.....................................

Beaver Joke | Funny cartoons drawings, Funny drawings, Funny cartoons

Beaver puns by Ocarinaplaya on DeviantArt

Íomhá

Silly Beaver Jokes Funny Cartoon Cloth Napkin | Zazzle.com

You Otter Beaver-y Embarrassed Right Now - Puns - Pun Pictures

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 11
  • Haha 13

34 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm trying to remember.  Have the majority of noisemakers plying the skies out of Juneau now been replaced by Otters or are they still Beavers?

Roy

No, they're all "Twotters" (twin Otters) now.  At least the ones used by the company selling the Taku Glacier Lodge rides (by the Hangar on the Wharf just north of our usual berth...before they built the new wharf).

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Not the one I was thinking of, but a song about another Beaver.

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm trying to remember.  Have the majority of noisemakers plying the skies out of Juneau now been replaced by Otters or are they still Beavers?

Roy

On our very first AK cruise in the early 1990s the shipboard naturalist commented on the DeHavilland Beaver explaining how historically important it was to the economic development of Alaska.  I thought that was pretty cool.  On an AK cruise in 2018 we booked a flightseeing excursion on a Beaver for the stop in Ketchikan.  Prior to that trip, my coffee shop buddy and fellow cruiser commented, "Let me get this right.  Are you going to fly in an airplane that was designed and uses technology from the 1940s?"'

Frequent visitors to Ketchikan will say it is no surprise that on the day we were there, the weather was pretty damp with a lot of low clouds.  All flightseeing excursions were cancelled,

I was persistent.  In our first of two AK cruises in 2019, I booked again.  Again, my coffee shop buddy was able to pull my chain, a bit.  However, success.  We did get to take our trip, and it was awesome,

DSCF2079.thumb.JPG.cd273228f6cac0afc37778bd7d55f9b5.JPG

This plane, however, did have one 21st Century technology upgrade.  

DSCF2137wArrow.thumb.jpg.d6fcd802d6730da545b19f46040937e9.jpg

@rafinmdI can't answer your question but, by observation I would say that on our last visits to Juneau, the Otters seemed to be ubiquitous.  That facility at The Wharf had only Otters.  Beavers seemed to be much more common in Ketchikan.  

• Like 16

Thanks all.  I don't think I've ever seen a twin otter on the Juneau webcam but have seen a lot of single engine planes and it sounds like at least at Juneau they're all otters.  I know I've been on Beavers (years ago) and remember being on a Twin Otter at least once (Denver to Vail) but can't remember being on a plain Otter.

Roy

• Like 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm late today. I had a doctor's appointment this morning. Unfortunately just going out on this lovely 78°  sunny day has bothered my eye, even with good sunglasses. I'd like to work in the yard, but can't. I'm putting hourly steroid drops in now.

I like caramel popcorn and beer! It's also national walking day (I should do more).

I like Roy's meal and the drinks. Too much sodium in that pizza, plus strange combination.

I've never been to Greenland, only flown over it coming back from Europe.

@Norseh2o Happy Birthday to your mother!

@Cruzin Terri Too bad about the taxes. I was alarmed a few years ago to find when my accountant electronically submitted my taxes, the IRS said they'd already been submitted! Luckily something was off to them, so they didn't send out the refund to the criminals. Now I get a yearly PIN number that has to be sent along with the paperwork.

Congrats to all getting or scheduling vaccines.

Prayers to the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16

59 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Roy  please update us on how your tests are going and if you have a date for your surgery.

Still in limbo.  I did learn today that I was not accepted for one of the studies but they are still working on the second candidate.  Otherwise, I'm holding my own.  I walked for 30 minutes today for the first time since leaving the hospital.  I had to break it up with about a 10-minute rest in the middle but did get in the full 30 minutes.  It was a 15 minute loop followed by 2 8-minute loops.  I had planned on only doing 15 and 8 in the morning and trying for another 8 after lunch, but felt good enough after the first 8 that I continued to the second 8.

Tomorrow is a filling for a tooth.

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good, well, afternoon all! I love Caramel Popcorn. My first mental image of National Beaver Day was a church hall full of tiny soon to be cub scouts racing around in those cute little hats with the beaver tail on the back. We are having pizza tonight, but without the chilli dog topping. Today is the day they were going to try taking BIL off the ventilator again. As the day came, there is no chance his lungs could tolerate it, so he is getting a tracheostomy instead. At least he knows and feels nothing of all this.

on a happier note, I’ve been able to spend a lot of time in the garden (and hammock) the last few days. I’ve also been able to start setting up for another summer of botanical printing. The leaves aren’t ready yet, but I’ve gotten some pretty peach coloured dyes from lichens that came down in the winter storms.

Thanks to all for pictures of Greenland. Someday, I’ll get there myself!

And of course, Happy Wednesday, even if it does hoard letters it doesn’t really need!😉

5427BB3F-BE5B-416E-B50F-0BCCFC64832B.thumb.jpeg.c06ad86a664b4d46e7ad37cd6a1f1092.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruzin Terri Too bad about the taxes. I was alarmed a few years ago to find when my accountant electronically submitted my taxes, the IRS said they'd already been submitted! Luckily something was off to them, so they didn't send out the refund to the criminals. Now I get a yearly PIN number that has to be sent along with the paperwork.

Thanks for the heads up.  They told me to wait for a letter and then follow the instructions to call or verify ID on line.  We will see what happens.  

Teri

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:
BTW The name Nanortalik means  “Place Where the Polar Bears Go "

Can somebody translate this please  ...? 

1838144027_DSCF39932.thumb.jpg.57a234a3eb1fa92c6e188399a5da6134.jpg

I'm pretty sure it says "Welcome to Nanortalik, you can't get here by bus."

Seriously, I have no idea. LOL

Am I the only person who, when stopping at places like this, feels obligated to buy something - anything - because these folks are just trying to eke out a living, and we're so fortunate to have the resources to be able to travel to see such amazing locations?   I've come home with some crazy things, simply because I wanted to buy something to support them.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Can somebody translate this please  ...? 

1838144027_DSCF39932.thumb.jpg.57a234a3eb1fa92c6e188399a5da6134.jpg

Tony 😀

The bottom part of the sign translates as "Look at and see our large selections of extra Items".

DH used the Google Translate app on his phone to translate the sign, but the top part did not translate.

We have found the app very useful in traveling around the world.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks for the heads up.  They told me to wait for a letter and then follow the instructions to call or verify ID on line.  We will see what happens.  

Teri

Quite a few years ago, we received a similar letter.  We followed the instructions, called, and the matter was settled.  It was aggravating, but in the end everything worked out all right.

Lenda

• Like 11

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Adding my good wishes!  I have  learned to check prices online to get a better idea,  last year we were 1000 apart,  so  I am happily driving my other SUV that I’m still very happy with.  Do check Consumer reports,  we’ve had SUVs forever and our last two top rated have been absolutely trouble free and a joy to drive.  

Thanks for the advice from everyone.  The closest we could get to a price we were comfortable with, was $1700 too high so no go today.  When you get up to leave some of them chase you out the door to try to persuade you they can't go any lower.  We can walk because we don't NEED the new car desperately.  Ours run fine.  

Happy Birthday wishes to your Mom @Norseh2o!  That's wonderful!

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks all.  I don't think I've ever seen a twin otter on the Juneau webcam but have seen a lot of single engine planes and it sounds like at least at Juneau they're all otters.  I know I've been on Beavers (years ago) and remember being on a Twin Otter at least once (Denver to Vail) but can't remember being on a plain Otter.

Roy

The ones you see on the Juneau webcam "docking" at the downtown Juneau "seadrome" (right smack in front of the Alaska Steamship dock) belong to Wings Airways and they own/use five identical DeHavilland-Canada DHC-3T Turbo Otters, aka "Texas Turbine Otter." The five aircraft had their (single) engines changed from Pratt and Whitney radial engines to Garrett TPE331-10 turbine engines between 2004 and 2005 in Vernon, BC. In addition, the five had modern Chelton GPS-based EFIS glass cockpits installed. The basic DHC-3 Otter first flew in 1951! 

Here's N338AK before, and after, her conversion to turbo prop which was done by Kal Air at Vernon, BC, and with "dry legs" (wheels) instead of floats 

333_N336AK_Michael_Mastin_Juneau_1024a.jpg

333_N336AK_Helge_Nyhus_JNU_092006_Karl_1024a.jpg

333_N336AK_John_W_Olafson_JNU_18052011_1024a.jpg

333_N336AK_John_W_Olafson_Vernon_23042006_1024a.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks to Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and everyone who enjoys the Daily.

Grey and cloudy here today so having to move the furniture and vacuum well for the carpet cleaners tomorrow gave me a good work out.

Will be having beer with dinner.  Caramel corn is a nice treat.  Have enjoyed all the pictures of the beavers.  Living in Oregon means half the cars have OSU beaver stickers.

Love the pics of Greenland, hope to see it on a VoV sometime in the future.

Prayers for those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

The ones you see on the Juneau webcam "docking" at the downtown Juneau "seadrome" (right smack in front of the Alaska Steamship dock) belong to Wings Airways and they own/use five identical DeHavilland-Canada DHC-3T Turbo Otters, aka "Texas Turbine Otter." The five aircraft had their (single) engines changed from Pratt and Whitney radial engines to Garrett TPE331-10 turbine engines between 2004 and 2005 in Vernon, BC. In addition, the five had modern Chelton GPS-based EFIS glass cockpits installed. The basic DHC-3 Otter first flew in 1951! 

Here's N338AK before, and after, her conversion to turbo prop which was done by Kal Air at Vernon, BC, and with "dry legs" (wheels) instead of floats 

333_N336AK_Michael_Mastin_Juneau_1024a.jpg

333_N336AK_Helge_Nyhus_JNU_092006_Karl_1024a.jpg

333_N336AK_John_W_Olafson_JNU_18052011_1024a.jpg

333_N336AK_John_W_Olafson_Vernon_23042006_1024a.jpg

Omigosh, you're right @Copper10-8!  Don't know why I told Roy earlier that they were using twin Otters for the Taku Glacier Lodge excursion.  Guess it was because we flew down to a local field a couple of days ago where they were definitely using the turbo twins for skydiving operations and I guess I had those on my mind.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1