Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

Now I need to figure out what my “inaugural” cocktail will be!

Safe travels everyone!

Congratulations, trail blazers of June 6!  Molymoo I would go to the bartender in the Explorer lounge and ask her/him to  make you a personal signature cocktail, in honor of your feat. Tell them your favorite  tastes and liquor and they will  come up with something. But it has to be in a martini glass. 

As others have said,  you earned this cruise and more!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

I understand that men need to wear at least long pants and collared shirt for dinner in the evenings - select restaurants ... but can men wear nice collared "polo type" shirts? Or do they have to be all buttons front shirts?

Ladies ... are nice capris allowed (with dressy tops)?

We're on the Aug 3 Bermuda Escape cruise. We were able to wear all the above on NCL cruises but it's our very first Viking cruise ..... 😁 .... THANKS!

Yes yes and yes.  A number of nice slacks and nice collared golf shirts on our June 29 cruise.  Actually seemed a little less dressy than previous Viking cruises we’ve had but could be because of Bermuda.  A/C can still make the dining cool especially with so few people.  

• Thanks 1

A thought for everyone.  Went to check in online for AA return via Charlotte July 6.  Can’t do it because AA wants to review COVID tests and other docs.  But...  I looked at seats.  I checked on way over and it appeared the return was completely full. This evening there were a number of decent open seats (maybe16?) so we grabbed them.  Perhaps they were from the 31 who never made it to Bermuda June 29.  So don’t forget to check.. 😉

• Like 1

CC, thanks so much for the tip about AA return flight. 

On  your last day,  where are you eating dinner?

Did they have any dinner bbq or other entrees set up  out by the infinitey pool any evening? 

You have been a great help  since we all decided to do a Bermuda Escape back in April 

Hope to meet you one day on a Viking sailing.

4 hours ago, Azulann said:

CC, thanks so much for the tip about AA return flight. 

On  your last day,  where are you eating dinner?

Did they have any dinner bbq or other entrees set up  out by the infinitey pool any evening? 

You have been a great help  since we all decided to do a Bermuda Escape back in April 

Hope to meet you one day on a Viking sailing.

Had a wonderful relaxing dinner with friends at World Cafe with a fabulous evening view of the docklands.  Same menu as The Restaurant and less crowded.  Lamb, swordfish, NY Steak, fabulous sushi, shrimp and crab legs.  We closed the place down!  Impeccable service and wines!!  What a finish.  

• Like 4

I decided last minute to book the August 3 cruise and I’m having second thoughts specifically because of the Covid test. I flew to Aruba in April and used the Vault Health test with no problem but I’m getting myself worked up about this trip. 
i can’t confirm if Bermuda accepts Vault, I thought about CVS but am worried about the turn around time. What has everyone. Has anyone else just used CVS?  I would appreciate any incite 

4 hours ago, Shinydiamond said:

I decided last minute to book the August 3 cruise and I’m having second thoughts specifically because of the Covid test. I flew to Aruba in April and used the Vault Health test with no problem but I’m getting myself worked up about this trip. 
i can’t confirm if Bermuda accepts Vault, I thought about CVS but am worried about the turn around time. What has everyone. Has anyone else just used CVS?  I would appreciate any incite 

I understand the stress!  Why not gather what info you can on Vault ( address, contact info, etc then call the toll free Bermuda hot line and ask.  Make sure Vault can do a PCR test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

I understand the stress!  Why not gather what info you can on Vault ( address, contact info, etc then call the toll free Bermuda hot line and ask.  Make sure Vault can do a PCR test.

Just make sure it is a PCR test and not an antigen test.  In our area, the turn around time for the PCR test from CVS takes too long.  They can't guarantee a 24 hour turn around time.  We found a place that does ( costs tho!)  

Hope you can figure it out.  Reports from others on the Bermuda trip are amazing!

I called the toll free number on Friday and made sure they would accept the saliva pcr test we planned on getting. I was on hold for 20 minutes and when they answered they were extremely nice and helpful. Ditto for when I called Sunday to get our travel authorization. For those in the Atlanta area, I would recommend MyGenomics in Alpharetta, we had our results in 3 hours and they texted and called to make sure we got it and that all information was correct.

• Like 1

On a topic of concern to some - those who decide to cancel for personal reasons using the "Risk-Free Guarantee" - I offer my experience with doing that. My usual travel agent was on vacation so I called the firm's main number and spoke with Elise, the agent on duty. She initiated the cancellation process on that day, Tuesday, 29 June. The next day I noted that our Bermuda Welcome Back cruise was no longer available via MVJ, and by Friday, 2 July, we received our vouchers for the entire cost of the cruise.

Of course, my intent is not to encourage people to cancel, but to give those who must cancel for personal reasons some confidence that Viking really does stand behind their policies. Clearly, Viking is working hard to be the cruise line that cruisers prefer, and I think they should be recognized for what they do right.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I too think Viking is doing yeoman service  to get out information  as soon as they are able for these Bermuda Escape cruises. Change in government  requirements are beyond their control.

The fourth group of cruises are boarding today.  I will be in the next group.

Their information about  covid testing, BTA  have been invaluable . I hope to pass  it on when it is my turn.

Overall, I think  cruisers in 2021 and 2022  are not going to  rely on their old experiences pre-covid. It is a new world of traveling , so being part of CC is a help for all of us.

Cheers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We’re on the July 20 cruise booked the PCR at the Malvern PA location. Good for us it’s only a 25 minute ride from our house. If anyone question where Malvern is, it’s just outside Valley Forge National Park.

Can’t wait to be onboard!

Thanks for the tip on the Malvern Pa location. It is in my neck of the woods and easy for me to get to. All I have to do now is wait to see if my passport renewal comes in on time. I chose the expedited service and mailed it in several weeks ago but it is proving to be far from that. It would be rather ironic if after jumping over all the Bermuda hurdles I was not able to go because of my passport!

Started our 6 July “Escape” adventure today.  Our plane leaving Charlotte was delayed almost an hour so we arrived late at Hamilton airport…just after a full Delta flight arrived.  Deplaned at 3PM and finally got to the ship about three hours later. NOT VIKING’s FAULT! Between airline inefficiency, and the convoluted Bermuda Customs and Health procedures at the airport, it made for a long day! But we are on board now; well fed and beveraged;  and relaxing in our very comfortable cabin. Looking forward to our first full day exploring beautiful downtown Hamilton.

Hints for surviving Customs and Health screenings…

1. Use the bathroom on the plane before you land, or the restrooms at the bottom of the stairway before you enter the Customs Hall. Otherwise you may be very uncomfortable!

2. Have your passport and Bermuda travel authorization in hand before you enter Customs. You will need them repeatedly.

3. Hydrate before you reach the ship (bottled water is provided on the shuttle busses). As soon as you reach your cabin you will need to produce a fair amount of saliva for the first onboard saliva test.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Has anyone gone to the MasterWorks art museum in Hamilton?  

If so ,can one easily walk to it when it opens at 10, then  get back to ship for a 12:30 Viking excursion?

Masterworks art museum is no longer in Hamilton. It is now located in Botanical Gardens in Paget. Too far to walk in this heat and humidity. 

14 hours ago, MedLog said:

Started our 6 July “Escape” adventure today.  Our plane leaving Charlotte was delayed almost an hour so we arrived late at Hamilton airport…just after a full Delta flight arrived.  Deplaned at 3PM and finally got to the ship about three hours later. NOT VIKING’s FAULT! Between airline inefficiency, and the convoluted Bermuda Customs and Health procedures at the airport, it made for a long day! But we are on board now; well fed and beveraged;  and relaxing in our very comfortable cabin. Looking forward to our first full day exploring beautiful downtown Hamilton.

1. Use the bathroom on the plane before you land, or the restrooms at the bottom of the stairway before you enter the Customs Hall. Otherwise you may be very uncomfortable!

2. Have your passport and Bermuda travel authorization in hand before you enter Customs. You will need them repeatedly.

3. Hydrate before you reach the ship (bottled water is provided on the shuttle busses). As soon as you reach your cabin you will need to produce a fair amount of saliva for the first onboard saliva test.

Thanks for posting...enjoy your cruise!

Btw, I see you are from Chapel Hill and am wondering where you went for your PCR test.  I'm also from that area and would love to know the best place for testing.

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Masterworks art museum is no longer in Hamilton. It is now located in Botanical Gardens in Paget. Too far to walk in this heat and humidity. 

Could I take a taxi? Or maybe figure out how to get there when we dock at by the Dockyards? 
last resort, I could cancel my boat excursion that afternoon, and pay for the art museum excursion once I am on Ship.

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Could I take a taxi? Or maybe figure out how to get there when we dock at by the Dockyards? 
last resort, I could cancel my boat excursion that afternoon, and pay for the art museum excursion once I am on Ship.

Masterworks is much closer to Hamilton than to the Dockyard. So perhaps you might want to go there on the Wednesday while Orion is still docked on Front Street Hamilton.

Here is a Google map of Bermuda ..... enjoy!

image.thumb.png.53d79ba63d416943325a993640c85efd.png

..... What boat excursion are you thinking of taking/cancelling?

Edited by bluesea777

7 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Masterworks is much closer to Hamilton than to the Dockyard. So perhaps you might want to go there on the Wednesday while Orion is still docked on Front Street Hamilton.

Here is a Google map of Bermuda ..... enjoy!

image.thumb.png.53d79ba63d416943325a993640c85efd.png

..... What boat excursion are you thinking of taking/cancelling?

I am scheduled for excursion ::famous homes and hideaways. This starts at 12:30.

the art museum excursion includes Hamilton get back at noon. It costs $79.00..

I just want to see museum ,( love art )and buy my DIL something from their museum store. She is a elem art teacher. I have gotten her items for her classroom from  art museums all over Europe , Mexico and Central America. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cadburysmom said:

Thanks for posting...enjoy your cruise!

Btw, I see you are from Chapel Hill and am wondering where you went for your PCR test.  I'm also from that area and would love to know the best place for testing.

The "Medlogs" are friends and I can vouch they used the CVS on 15/501. Got results back on Saturday. We are on the 7/20 cruise and plan on using them as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MedLog said:

Happy to see you safely aboard and hope you're enjoying everything. Thanks for heads up on surviving the arrival.

Frank & JM

54 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I am scheduled for excursion ::famous homes and hideaways. This starts at 12:30.

the art museum excursion includes Hamilton get back at noon. It costs $79.00..

I just want to see museum ,( love art )and buy my DIL something from their museum store. She is a elem art teacher. I have gotten her items for her classroom from  art museums all over Europe , Mexico and Central America. 

When you get on the ship you can try and change the Famous Homes & Hideaways from 12:30 to 3p.m.

Beware that the art museum tour is 2.5 hours long and you return at 12:30 not noon.

ENJOY!!

• Like 1