Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

What's happening? Orion was supposed to depart Hamilton at 6pm (Wed) tonight but it's still docked and it's 11:30 pm.

WOW, I just looked at the Orion webcam. All I see is the lights of Hamilton. Hope they do not have mechanical problems.  would love to hear from someone who is on board. 

1 minute ago, Azulann said:

WOW, I just looked at the Orion webcam. All I see is the lights of Hamilton. Hope they do not have mechanical problems.  would love to hear from someone who is on board. 

Yeah, we kept on glancing out of our lounge window all evening for Orion to sail by.

10 hours ago, doggfan7 said:

@CCWineLover, by any chance did you save any of the other dailies you could share? Thanks for all the info you have provided!

Hi - why yes I did save and take pics of all of them.  I'll try to send some.

Finally home now!  Long flights and lots of waiting around to leave, coupled with as usual, airline delays.  But safe! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi - why yes I did save and take pics of all of them.  I'll try to send some.

Finally home now!  Long flights and lots of waiting around to leave, coupled with as usual, airline delays.  But safe! 

Thanks!! Glad you're home same now.

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Maybe she's planning on staying in town on Wed evenings to take advantage of Harbour Nights, which start next week.

Altho' Harbour Nights are meant (?!) to be Safe Key, but maybe the cruise card will be sufficient.

I hope you're right, we sail on Aug 3 and I would love to be able to enjoy the festivities of Harbour Nights on our Wednesday!!

On 7/6/2021 at 7:56 PM, MedLog said:

Started our 6 July “Escape” adventure today.  Our plane leaving Charlotte was delayed almost an hour so we arrived late at Hamilton airport…just after a full Delta flight arrived.  Deplaned at 3PM and finally got to the ship about three hours later. NOT VIKING’s FAULT! Between airline inefficiency, and the convoluted Bermuda Customs and Health procedures at the airport, it made for a long day! But we are on board now; well fed and beveraged;  and relaxing in our very comfortable cabin. Looking forward to our first full day exploring beautiful downtown Hamilton.

Hints for surviving Customs and Health screenings…

1. Use the bathroom on the plane before you land, or the restrooms at the bottom of the stairway before you enter the Customs Hall. Otherwise you may be very uncomfortable!

2. Have your passport and Bermuda travel authorization in hand before you enter Customs. You will need them repeatedly.

3. Hydrate before you reach the ship (bottled water is provided on the shuttle busses). As soon as you reach your cabin you will need to produce a fair amount of saliva for the first onboard saliva test.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, cadburysmom said:

Thanks for posting...enjoy your cruise!

Btw, I see you are from Chapel Hill and am wondering where you went for your PCR test.  I'm also from that area and would love to know the best place for testing.

21 hours ago, Pronsias OhAodha said:

The "Medlogs" are friends and I can vouch they used the CVS on 15/501. Got results back on Saturday. We are on the 7/20 cruise and plan on using them as well.

I live in Chatham County and was wondering about the CVS on 15/501. 

Medlogs got their results back on Saturday (July 3). I understand that Bermuda requires PCR tests 4 days before arrival. So did Medlogs get tested on Friday (July 2)?

My cruise starts from Malta and I have to have the PCR test within 3 days (72 hours) before arrival, so I have a shorter time frame.

TIA for your response.

Edited by cboyle

12 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

What's happening? Orion was supposed to depart Hamilton at 6pm (Wed) tonight but it's still docked and it's 11:30 pm.

We’re onboard Orion now and an announcement was made yesterday afternoon that some passengers had had some trouble getting to us ( I’m assuming travel issues into Bermuda ).  As regulations do not permit leaving port after dark they made the decision to wait till this morning to leave.  It wasn’t going to make any difference in our arrival time to St. George so no harm and hopefully some weary travelers got onboard safe and sound.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Maybe she's planning on staying in town on Wed evenings to take advantage of Harbour Nights, which start next week.

Altho' Harbour Nights are meant (?!) to be Safe Key, but maybe the cruise card will be sufficient.

Funny I thought of this but saw that it wasn't due to begin until next week.

Maybe starting next week Orion will spend Wed nights docked for the Harbour Nights.

We're on Aug 3 Orion. You? 😎

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We’re onboard Orion now and an announcement was made yesterday afternoon that some passengers had had some trouble getting to us ( I’m assuming travel issues into Bermuda ).  As regulations do not permit leaving port after dark they made the decision to wait till this morning to leave.  It wasn’t going to make any difference in our arrival time to St. George so no harm and hopefully some weary travelers got onboard safe and sound.

Thanks so much for the update. Hope those late passengers got on the ship !

enjoy your sea day 😎

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, molymoo said:

4 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Thanks so much for the update. Hope those late passengers got on the ship !

enjoy your sea day 😎

It's raining BUCKETS here now and our pool is filling up fast. We very badly need the heavy downpour - to unbrown the grass, water the vegetation and fill up the water tanks. Just as well Orion escaped the rain this morning and according to the panomax webcam they are having no rain! And according to cruisemapper Orion is still circumnavigating the island albeit closer to island as they lost 1/2 day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

It's raining BUCKETS here now and our pool is filling up fast. We very badly need the heavy downpour - to unbrown the grass, water the vegetation and fill up the water tanks. Just as well Orion escaped the rain this morning and according to the panomax webcam they are having no rain! And according to cruisemapper Orion is still circumnavigating the island albeit closer to island as they lost 1/2 day.

Glad your Bermuda grass will be green when I arrive on Tuesday! We are in a sought in MN too , but got rain for two days this week. 

2 hours ago, cboyle said:

I live in Chatham County and was wondering about the CVS on 15/501. 

Medlogs got their results back on Saturday (July 3). I understand that Bermuda requires PCR tests 4 days before arrival. So did Medlogs get tested on Friday (July 2)?

My cruise starts from Malta and I have to have the PCR test within 3 days (72 hours) before arrival, so I have a shorter time frame.

TIA for your response.

Yes- as I understand it tested early Friday morning and got results Saturday morning.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:56 PM, MedLog said:

Started our 6 July “Escape” adventure today.  Our plane leaving Charlotte was delayed almost an hour so we arrived late at Hamilton airport…just after a full Delta flight arrived.  Deplaned at 3PM and finally got to the ship about three hours later. NOT VIKING’s FAULT! Between airline inefficiency, and the convoluted Bermuda Customs and Health procedures at the airport, it made for a long day! But we are on board now; well fed and beveraged;  and relaxing in our very comfortable cabin. Looking forward to our first full day exploring beautiful downtown Hamilton.

Hints for surviving Customs and Health screenings…

1. Use the bathroom on the plane before you land, or the restrooms at the bottom of the stairway before you enter the Customs Hall. Otherwise you may be very uncomfortable!

2. Have your passport and Bermuda travel authorization in hand before you enter Customs. You will need them repeatedly.

3. Hydrate before you reach the ship (bottled water is provided on the shuttle busses). As soon as you reach your cabin you will need to produce a fair amount of saliva for the first onboard saliva test.

We were in that craziness too but had an added delay when my bag was apparently tagged by one of the drug dogs for narcotics!  We got to spend an extra hour in a separate area while an agent meticulously went through ever bag; piece by piece.  The agent was very nice and I’m guessing we didn’t fit the typical “drug mule” profile so we had a few laughs and we’re eventually on our way … it makes for a good story !  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Funny I thought of this but saw that it wasn't due to begin until next week.

Maybe starting next week Orion will spend Wed nights docked for the Harbour Nights.

We're on Aug 3 Orion. You? 😎

I don’t sail Viking, they’re not solo friendly pricewise. 
I stick with Silversea, but being an avid cruiser of course I take an interest in cruising happening right in front of me. 

Edited by jollyjones

Good news for  Viking and Bermuda.

I think Viking is streamlining the info we need to get through all the step to get to Bermuda. 
got a great checklist today of printed items to carry with me through the airports and to the ship. 
Hopefully the pre covid test will

be  dropped in the future … 

• Like 2

We are flying on Saturday for the July 13th sailing and we did our COVID testing on Tuesday morning at CVS and Walgreens just in case.  We got our results from Walgreens at 9 pm yesterday, CVS sent my husband his results last night and I got them today.  We submitted our applications for Travel Authorization at 9:30 pm yesterday and had the approval in 10 minutes.  Make sure to check your junk email.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2021 at 10:22 AM, CCWineLover said:

The 2nd and now 3rd cruise anchor off St George’s.  We are now on day 2 of anchoring.  We take a Bermuda catamaran ferry 20 minute ride to St George’s pier.  They run roughly every 99 minutes and I’d estimate they hold 150-200 people.  We only have 377 on board this June 29 cruise.  Easy fun ride also.

AC4ADB10-7790-4692-B5A3-0E3855414E43.thumb.jpeg.b5c26d55cd0388328cfb43f1f41c1da8.jpeg66A6CA65-EAE1-446F-824A-85D815F2C79D.thumb.jpeg.e25b525783a26ea6c17cde79f4c4f37c.jpeg

Hello Cruisers,

We are 2 days back from cruising to Bermuda on the Viking Orion.  We did a back to back from 6/22 thru 7/6.  It was wonderful.  The only issue we had was getting our Bermuda Authorization .  Mine was delayed and we were told in the end that Bermuda authorities made the error.  We still have not found out what our Verizon cell charges will be for the 3 hours we were on hold or twice disconnected to find our application was fine and authorized. 

Viking does an amazing job.  We were tested by Bermuda govt at the pier and once onboard we did our first sputum Covid testing. And for the next 13 days we did that test upon waking and they were collected by room steward.  We were called by a certain time if we had not submitted them.  We then had our temp taken at the first restaurant we ate in.  All tables were socially separated.  Masks worn at all times, accept while eating or drinking and at the pool.  Hand sanitizing was encouraged, more like demanded, by all staff as they saw us walk into venues and shops. 

The cruise was delightful, our 18 time to Bermuda, and we thoroughly enjoyed being out of our own home for over 15 months.  We did go on a few water tours and one tour in St. George with just two more cruisers. We ventured into Hamilton to our favorite Hog Penny Pub and enjoyed a great Dockyard Brewery pint of Ale.  Rum Swizzle Inn was closed due to a recent positive case but we were very pleased to go to the Lily Perfume Factory Store.  I bought 4 bottles of my favorite Passion Flower due to the online store closing last year during the pandemic.  Many, many shops are closed and shuttered in Hamilton.  Dockyard also had several of the shops in the mall area closed.  I was pleased to find what I needed to bring home to THE KIDS as well as buying a nice piece of pottery from the local artist I have purchased from before.   We felt we had made an effort to help the local economy.  We ended that visit with another Ale at the Frog and Onion and a little snack while we were entertained by Wayne a wonderful vocalist who pleased us by sing " Bermuda is another world"  that we had heard the Bermuda Strollers play in 1972 at the Forty Thieves Club while on our honeymoon.  Bermuda is a fantastic place to visit.  Only glitch was the covid test debacle, but that won't stop us from going back again.

We did the back to back and had planned that in April.  We stayed in the same cabin, did not have to go through any procedures.  We were automatically given new key cards and also a new tracking device that we had on our person at all times.  They kept a close and safe watch over us constantly right till we were dropped at airport on Tuesday.

The food was wonderful.  We LOVED every meal we had at The Restaurant, reservations were not needed by the time we cruised, we ate once and Manfredi's and at The Chef's Table.  Once was enough.  We are foodies and not afraid of new things and gave it a try.

Entertainment was amazing.  Brian Rodriguez the cruise director and Michael Restaino the asst cruise director do the job extremely well.  Viking is very lucky to have such talent onboard from musicians to singers and dancers better that any we have ever seen in our 30 former cruises they have done a great job providing passengers with wonderful entertainers. We were so delighted with our first Viking Ocean cruise that we booked another for Ft. Lauderdale to Panama in Oct. 2022 to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. 

Hopefully all other cruise lines will take a lesson from the way Viking opened up and making cruisers happy once again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rpg said:

We are flying on Saturday for the July 13th sailing and we did our COVID testing on Tuesday morning at CVS and Walgreens just in case.  We got our results from Walgreens at 9 pm yesterday, CVS sent my husband his results last night and I got them today.  We submitted our applications for Travel Authorization at 9:30 pm yesterday and had the approval in 10 minutes.  Make sure to check your junk email.

Wow!  I thought the hours for Bermuda to approve those TA's was 8-8.  And arent you outside the 4 day window for the PCR tests?