Norwegian Sun arrives in Portland

ziggyuk

The Norwegian Sun has made the long trip from the Caribbean to Portland arriving this morning for her drydock.

So good to see her so close to Seattle 😍

With all her cruises cancelled through September 1st her next cruise is Alaska from Seattle September 7th.

Boy do I hope she stays in the area and something happens either with PVSA temporary suspension or Canada allowing technical stops.

The stars are aligning (maybe 🤔) - ever the eternal optimist 😆

Could she be poised if anything changes?

image.png.ac27470e826f9c4114422cdccb500b5a.png

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Wasn't she just there 2-3 years ago?

11 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Do you know what they have planned for her dry dock? I feel like she just had one. 

I have been trying to find out the purpose of the drydock for the last couple of weeks since she left the Caribbean and started through the Panama Canal but have drawn a blank.
It's expensive to travel through the canal so the must be an important reason to drydock on the West coast and make that trip with nobody but crew.

According to this, she had the bow to stern Edge refurbishment in 2018.
https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/travel-blog/norwegian-sun-cruise-ship-dry-dock-enhancements

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

To be honest I cant even find any evidence it is for a dry dock, it was another member who said they had read that was the purpose of the trip.
If it's not dry dock I would love to know what she is doing in Portland, I still hope it is in preparation for something in Alaska 😍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

To be honest I cant even find any evidence it is for a dry dock, it was another member who said they had read that was the purpose of the trip.
If it's not dry dock I would love to know what she is doing in Portland, I still hope it is in preparation for something in Alaska 😍

I haven't looked but there may be an answer in the active Ship Movement thread.  Here ya go, Zig.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I haven't looked but there may be an answer in the active Ship Movement thread.  Here ya go, Zig.

Thank you, there are certainly comments there it could be a minor dry dock. This prompted me to start searching for any new announcements but still can't find anything to say it's part of her planned schedule.

The Sun still has Asian cruises on the schedule for the (northern) winter. I've been looking at its October trans-pac repositioning cruise, Seattle-Alaska-Russia-Japan. I don't expect that Japan will allow cruise ships, or any leisure travel, by then. But I'm hopeful that it'll go somewhere.

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

The Sun got major refurbishing just a couple of years ago.  Part of it was done on an active cruise which screwed up so much, closing part of the ship, chemical fumes,  that the guest got partial refunds. 

I remember that! What a huge cluster puck that was on NCL's part

9 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

The Norwegian Sun has made the long trip from the Caribbean to Portland arriving this morning for her drydock.

So good to see her so close to Seattle 😍

With all her cruises cancelled through September 1st her next cruise is Alaska from Seattle September 7th.

Boy do I hope she stays in the area and something happens either with PVSA temporary suspension or Canada allowing technical stops.

The stars are aligning (maybe 🤔) - ever the eternal optimist 😆

Could she be poised if anything changes?

image.png.ac27470e826f9c4114422cdccb500b5a.png

We're actually booked on that SUN cruise departing from Seattle to Alaska on September 7...but we're not optimistic that it will actually go.  It's a 9-day cruise--and from everything I've read, cruises will begin with shorter durations (7 days or less)...so we're just waiting to get the official cancellation notice. 

Oh well...there's always next year (hopefully)...! 

12 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I remember that! What a huge cluster puck that was on NCL's part

Not so much. Normal practice for most dry docks. Just a lot of whiners on that voyage. We have sailed pre- and post-dry dock with the full appreciation that the refirb will be in progress during our cruise. We have had furnishing and curtains show up a day or two into a cruise. All part of the experience. Enjoyed every cruise. (We pick them because they sometimes offer very unique repositioning itineraries). 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not so much. Normal practice for most dry docks. Just a lot of whiners on that voyage. 

Since NCL offered the passengers 100% future cruise credits I guess it was not that normal? Never heard of that before or after. And I don't belove NCL gave the fcc out of generosity...

Btw, it is my favourite NCL ship. Really hope the Asia sailings in 22/23 will happen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roxette said:

Since NCL offered the passengers 100% future cruise credits I guess it was not that normal? Never heard of that before or after. And I don't belove NCL gave the fcc out of generosity...

Btw, it is my favourite NCL ship. Really hope the Asia sailings in 22/23 will happen.

If you saw some of the video the guests took on that cruise of the mess and fumes that surrounded them much of the cruise, it was not anything anyone would care to endure, and especially have to pay to endure.  But yes, I really like the Sun.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not so much. Normal practice for most dry docks. Just a lot of whiners on that voyage. We have sailed pre- and post-dry dock with the full appreciation that the refirb will be in progress during our cruise. We have had furnishing and curtains show up a day or two into a cruise. All part of the experience. Enjoyed every cruise. (We pick them because they sometimes offer very unique repositioning itineraries). 

So you were not on the cruise when they were tearing it up and painting?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

SUN is now reversing into the dry dock ...

Yes, I have been following her in, it is a dry dock too.

image.png.ae693865caad8836e928890e72bb70ba.png

image.png.5379e1af89e941f99cdf3d71c8577c69.png

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

There is a big RED CROSS on the deck structure maybe the SUN needs a band aid repair -

or the image is just super-imposed - LOL !

Haha yes, just and old satellite image with her position overlaid.
She is tucked in now.
image.png.e8eb6e5849e53d960a152443cf3803df.png

• Like 1

I set eyes on her today in the shipyard on the Willamette River, from the Portland Hills. Sailed on her from Miami to Santiago in December 2018. (The USS Mercy left this shipyard a couple of weeks ago after spending most of the Covid year in drydock.)

IMG_5227.jpg

Edited by GGrace
Corrected the voyage terminus!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:57 AM, ziggyuk said:

Yes! And she is not the only NCL ship scheduled to use that facility this year.