The Daily for Saturday Apr 10, 2021

richwmn

Good morning.  Thank you everyone for the updates and the laughs.  Just love the memes and the chicken pockets look delightful.  Alas I am on a 1 year diet plan so when I travel next year I can go crazy!

Comfort and peace to those in need.  Congratulations to those who are celebrating 

I have been to Chiapas.  Chiapas is famous for its blue-green jade, so you know what I did there.  I spent the entire day looking at jade, rough and refined.   The World Heritage site was unfortunately closed due to a national election on the day of our visit.    Here is one of the famous funereal masks

iu.jpeg

• Like 20

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Good morning.  Thank you everyone for the updates and the laughs.  Just love the memes and the chicken pockets look delightful.  Alas I am on a 1 year diet plan so when I travel next year I can go crazy!

Comfort and peace to those in need.  Congratulations to those who are celebrating 

I have been to Chiapas.  Chiapas is famous for its blue-green jade, so you know what I did there.  I spent the entire day looking at jade, rough and refined.   The World Heritage site was unfortunately closed due to a national election on the day of our visit.    Here is one of the famous funereal masks

iu.jpeg

Very cool and interesting mask!  Thanks for the photo.

• Like 8

@kazu Months ago, didn’t you mention self-watering stakes? Do you use the ones that you pair with plastic water bottles, or wine bottles?

We’re preparing for a short trip and I’m wanting to provide water for the beginnings of our garden while we’re gone.

• Like 8

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days, although I have no dog and many are working from home (I'm retired).

I like Roy's meal.

I haven't been to that port in Mexico.

It's warm and sunny today, but thunderstorms are predicted for this evening.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list. Also cheers to my BFF who just got his J&J jab this morning.

Stay safe and wear your mask. 

• Like 19

We have had several damp days and today is cool and cloudy - but maybe no rain. It is forecast to be dreary through Wednesday. I am glad I started the split pea soup yesterday!

The swans are back, but I'm not sure they are thrilled with the weather. Here is a picture from several days ago when it was quite windy - 

20210402_150806.thumb.jpg.98a876885ec326c32b59b7c0eac42550.jpg

• Like 20

41 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu Months ago, didn’t you mention self-watering stakes? Do you use the ones that you pair with plastic water bottles, or wine bottles?

We’re preparing for a short trip and I’m wanting to provide water for the beginnings of our garden while we’re gone.

Mine can be used with pretty much any plastic bottle - water, pop, etc.  I use varying sizes of bottles depending on the planter.

The spout fits them all.  I especially like them for hanging baskets/planters as it’s a slow drip and the water doesn’t get lost.

Here’s a pic of one

B8B00F35-9160-492D-901B-2495CF62C607.thumb.jpeg.4e5317df90c5a35c77db9da4d88b349c.jpeg

I’ve had them for more years than I can count.  And, at the end of season, you can recycle the bottles unless you want to keep them 😉

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all!

My visits to this site have been hit and miss lately as we have been busy. So let me wish everybody that I missed a happy birthday and/or a happy anniversary.

Today is The Dog Gives Me a Dirty Look day at our house as it is pouring down rain and that is obviously my fault. So right now I am cuddling with a very damp doxie.

I do encourage young writers and as far as the work from home thing, it gets mixed reviews from the daughter that has been doing it for a year now. 

Love today’s drink, we’ll see about the wine. It’s amazing the variety of prices for some of them. When they edge up to $100 and more, I just feel my palate is not educated enough to appreciate something that expensive. (I drink wine from Aldi sometimes 😉). Probably wouldn’t make the chicken pockets so I’ll take Roy’s alternate meal which sounds delicious.

I have been to Puerto Chiapas twice. First time I hung around the port building. Those built just for the ship things are rather unsatisfying, but I was by myself and wasn’t feeling adventurous. Second time with my daughters we took a bus over to Tapachula. We just wandered around, watched a parade (not sure what the celebration was for), visited a drug store and a grocery store. I don’t have any of those pictures on my iPad, but I know one picture was of a highway billboard advertising Home Depot 🤣. If it hadn’t been in Spanish I would have thought I was at home.

Thoughts and prayers for all on the care list, I’ll raise a glass of wine later today to all the celebrations (probably something from Coopershawk, rather than Aldi).

Take care

St Louis Sal

• Like 20

Good morning, and thank you to Rich, Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies!  I agree we should RIP Prince Philip until the time of his funeral, flags will be at half staff in GB until then.  He didn't want to lie in state, and there will just be a private service in St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.  We don't have a Governor General at the moment, so I don't know if Canada will send a representative.

We were in Puerto Chiapas (with kazu and other CCers) in April 2015.  It was sooo hot, I decided I would just not be able to bear the tour we had booked, so I stayed on board.  Pat went to the Izapa archaeological site, and found it interesting, but agreed I would not have enjoyed the heat.  I did eventually get off the ship and took the shuttle to Tapachula, but I got off the bus there, took a few photos and got back on the next bus back to the ship.

The port

P1000607.thumb.JPG.51dba349837339c1a9f46695dcef0476.JPG

Tapachula main square

P1000630.thumb.JPG.e9a1ed66965c0aa993cbbfad8c8cc534.JPG

Izapa

P1000515.thumb.JPG.4540c66afc1b6f9cceccd0266de7f954.JPG

P1000514.thumb.JPG.a3ac5baedeeecbc0061152c2e98bed7e.JPG

• Like 26

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

When Roy asked the question about Prince Philip that's the first thing I thought "leave him on the list until his funeral".  It may be a while though - did I hear it would be the 17th?  

The date hasn’t been announced yet.  They think it will be announced today.  Prince Phillip did not want a big fuss made nor to “lie in State”.  He wanted things simple and not a big fuss according to the reports I have heard and, it’s pretty typical of him.  And, sadly, the pandemic will make following his wishes necessary, I think.

• Like 14

We're supposed to be having the first day of quite a sunny and warming stretch. I don't think the weather forecaster knows much as in the last 30 minutes we've had a deluge of hail which changed to rain with substance which became snow and then back to rain. It's done now but the road is slushy. So much for 40+F and sun! Such is the Pacific Northwest.

Karen

• Like 17

Thanks Rich and all who are here to great me each morning. It’s a nice way to have coffee with friends I have grown to know. And I don’t even have to change out of my night clothes. 

My dog gets tons of hugs and generally has her head in my lap as I read the daily. 

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich and all who are here to great me each morning. It’s a nice way to have coffee with friends I have grown to know. And I don’t even have to change out of my night clothes. 

My dog gets tons of hugs and generally has her head in my lap as I read the daily. 

Did you get to have dinner with your youngest son yesterday?  It's great to see them again, isn't it?  We had an enjoyable dinner with our DD last night, but honestly she was here for such a short time this trip.  Traffic was horrendous heading from Florida and even here in our local area so they didn't arrive until 6 pm.  Then because of the traffic trauma from yesterday they jumped out of bed at 4 am and were out the door in about 20 minutes or so this morning.  I'm glad she got out of the Atlanta area and out of the state before all these storms made it to I-75.  She's gonna need a vacay from her vacay!!

• Like 14

Good Morning,  Happy Weekend and Thank You for the Daily. ✏️

Agreed, not much for Puerto Chiapas---also went to Tapachula for some sight seeing. Looking at the map of Mexico, Huatulco was a beach day before as well as Costa Maya🌴

No doggies anymore but someday when we slow down. 🐶

🙏 Prayers for all in need🙏

FB_IMG_1618066612365.jpg

• Like 18

Good morning, all! Sorry I missed yesterday. We came back to the mainland as DH gets his jab on Monday. All in all, by the time I opened my iPad for the first time, it was after 10PM Pacific time. There seemed no point posting when most of you were already into the next day! I would love to hug a dog - mine are long gone now, but all dogs deserve hugs. I love the quote, and the Buffalo chicken pockets sound good. However, oven roasted beef tenderloin is hard to beat! I’ve never been to today’s port, and am enjoying the pictures!

Roy, I agree with those who feel Prince Philip should be on the care list until the funeral.

@ger_77 I will email you as soon as I’m off here. It sounds intriguing!

Here in BC, AstraZeneca has been approved for ages 55 - 65 only and is given at selected drugstores in the Lower Mainland. I’ve booked an appointment for a jab about 2 hours after DH gets his non-AZ shot at the hospital. And now BC has opened eligibility to all 65+ for regular shots. In theory, my birth year is next in line, and should come soon if they keep going by age. However, now that all seniors are eligible, they may change the rules and prioritize by profession instead. Now I’m torn between getting the jab ASAP, or cancelling and waiting to be eligible for a vaccine with better protection against the variants. Thoughts?

With that, enjoy the weekend, and Happy Saturday with thoughts of our BHB’s!

9A3C5640-BD19-4A6F-9751-FB2CE5273719.thumb.jpeg.1e940c3362978a46b5991dce20f5c291.jpeg

• Like 21

Good morning to all. I have been following the past few days, but have not had much to post. Still don't. Things here are very quiet with sun and wind..... a bit too much wind. Hopefully we are due for some rain next week but the fire danger is very high. We had one small fire near the river a few days ago - fortunately caught early. We are all a bit nervous.

Dogs think that extra hugs today would be in order. I am watching my scottie a bit closer than usual as he seems a bit slow. A trip to the vet may be in order.

Pulled an old T-shirt out to wear this morning.... has a list of all the "dam ships". Sad to think how many of them are no longer in the fleet.

Susan

• Like 20

Good morning to all of you.  We had a little rain last night, but the sky is mostly blue and dry weather is predicted every day for the next week.  I did my taxes yesterday using some free online software.  I think I will do them again today using another software that is highly rated.  No hurry to file them as we usually owe the IRS.  

Concerning meeting persons in a store not wearing a mask:  It is very rare in our area, but not unusual to meet someone who doesn't know that the mask should cover the nose as well as the mouth.  I don't get upset about it since I wear a mask and am fully vaccinated - I just ignore them and wash my hands well when I get home.  I have more important things to worry about.

Ray

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Bindi would like to know if José ships. She has the “pathetic, poor me” look  down pat.

Good try, Bindi 

CE62BC61-482B-47BD-8597-96F08B004AF7.jpeg.67d276df8ca87dd1a8f5e4b68452a730.jpeg

I think all dogs are taught the “poor, pathetic, deprived me” look taught to them at birth 😉 

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, kazu said:

The date hasn’t been announced yet.  They think it will be announced today.  Prince Phillip did not want a big fuss made nor to “lie in State”.  He wanted things simple and not a big fuss according to the reports I have heard and, it’s pretty typical of him.  And, sadly, the pandemic will make following his wishes necessary, I think.

Wow @StLouisCruisersyou must have ESP. 

The date has been announced as the 17th just as you foretold. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I have no dogs to hug, but do encourage a couple (very) young writers.  Every thank-you note from the DGS's is on the fridge 😉 The 7-year-old even wrote a poem on one, I treasure it!

Work from home -- we're retired, but 3 of our "kids" all have been working from home since the pandemic began.  DD is a consultant, so she has always been able to work remotely, luckily.  The only difference is all the meetings are on Zoom now of course.  DS works for a large gaming company based in Montreal and Paris,  so he's been doing work remotely since before the pandemic.  As he says, "I've been training for this for 8 years" LOL.  The only difference for him is he hasn't been flying all over the world every few months.  DDIL is an Imagineer for Disney, she also can work remotely easily.  The only "kid" who hasn't been able to work remotely is DSIL who works in the medical field. He's our hero.

The meal really looks good.  I would use shredded rotisserie chicken, and cut back on the spice for the sake of my tummy. 😉  

@smitty34877have you checked to see if that store does online shopping with curbside pickup?  You would never have to go into the store.  If they don't, I agree with others, I just wouldn't shop there anymore.

@HAL4NOWsnow???  Oh please don't send it this way.  I think we're finally getting into the high 30's at night now. I'm looking forward to the predicted (ha) stretch of sunshine.

Here's a photo of Prince Phillip playing a joke on the queen.  Apparently as she passed by he said "Good morning, Ma'am".  I love this photo!

871954128_QueenElizabeth.thumb.jpg.97570c053626e321a78a4d831d39946a.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  It is sunny but with winds between 15-20 mph and cooler today.  Glad I got my outside work done yesterday.  Wish we had a dog to hug and to give us those poor, pitiful me looks.  Our DDs and their guys have been working from home for the past year.  Our oldest DD's company is requiring to work from home for the the foreseeable future, but DSIL has to return to the office soon.  Our youngest DD's SO always works from home since he is a comedian.

As for the quote, it is very interesting.  I think sometimes on rare occasions, you could manage to do both.

We have been to Puerto Chiapas three times, and I agree there is not much in the port.  The first time on the Statendam in 2009 we did a tour to the Izapa Archaeological Ruins and then a stop in town.  The next time was in 2014 on the Veendam.  We did a tour that included a stop at a local school and a visit to a banana plantations. Then in 2015, again on the Statendam, we took a van into Tapachula. 

Because I have quite a few pictures, I will post the ones from the two Statendam stops here.  Then, I post the pictures from the Veendam on another post.

Here are a couple of pictures from the Izapa Archaeological site.  It was interesting, but very hot that day in April.

IMG_5139.thumb.JPG.752451b4479fc181f2c54752a1efeae6.JPG

IMG_5140.thumb.JPG.ee86957559f02cabe2a0841bfc043949.JPG

A couple of pictures of Tapachula.

IMG_5147.thumb.JPG.0ffe1c46ddaa4a32cf7f2a0d7ad5c1c2.JPG

IMG_5152.thumb.JPG.abaff96f38ed40315d05fe6d398cdfb9.JPG

In 2015, we took a van into Tapachula and just walked around, trying to follow streets we hadn't walked in 2009.  However, all the pictures taken in town are repeats of those others have posted.  That day, the ship treated the crew to a barbeque breakfast/lunch on shore depending on their free time.  It really smelled good.

DSC01842.thumb.JPG.2814ddd7c3cd90b772ba7d6bc5975be6.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the port, and our BHB.

DSC01844.thumb.JPG.5577d8133891687b34333fdc5b191e63.JPG

DSC01843.thumb.JPG.02067ad4c99d47c6eda2b2169012403e.JPG

The pool looked so refreshing, we were temped to try it.  That was the year we took the Statendam to FLL to meet the Ruby Princess for her 49 day cruise to LA via Cape Horn.  It seemed like a better idea than flying to FLL and then flying from LA to Phoenix.

Lenda

• Like 21

Good Morning.

The sun is breaking through the grey skies but it is quite chilly here this morning.  Frost on the ground and roofs.

Roy, I agree that Prince Philip should remain on the list until after his funeral.

Ellie appreciates lots of hugs everyday, and is currently lying with a pile of her stuffies after bothering me for hugs.

We have been to Puerto Chiapas once and took a tour from the dock that took us to a chocolate farm, on to the ruins, and then into Tapachula.  It was an interesting day out.

No photo description available.

Stopped by the roadside for lychee nuts.

May be an image of 1 person

Val

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Here in BC, AstraZeneca has been approved for ages 55 - 65 only and is given at selected drugstores in the Lower Mainland. I’ve booked an appointment for a jab about 2 hours after DH gets his non-AZ shot at the hospital. And now BC has opened eligibility to all 65+ for regular shots. In theory, my birth year is next in line, and should come soon if they keep going by age. However, now that all seniors are eligible, they may change the rules and prioritize by profession instead. Now I’m torn between getting the jab ASAP, or cancelling and waiting to be eligible for a vaccine with better protection against the variants. Thoughts?

Last night I looked at the list of pharmacies offering the AstraZeneca vaccine.  Our community is not listed.  This has helped me in my decision to wait for my call back for one of the other two vaccines on offer.  Hopefully it is the right decision.

Val

P.S.  I do have friends that have decided to go for the AstraZeneca.  They were able to get appointments fairly quickly.

Edited by Marmot@Sea
to add something,
  • Like 14

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

🌴Aloha

Sorry haven’t been on The Daily for awhile. Tried one last time helping last Monday at Del Mar for vaccines and they closed down with lack of supplies! So we are at our home in Maui. Little Paisley can’t give hugs but I get pictures daily. 
Here is a small ink sketch in my journal of the port of the day. We were on The Maasdam going to Peru 3/18! 
I injured my right thumb so was limited to sketching. We stayed on the ship in port and 

did my doodling on my balcony.

image.thumb.jpeg.71b25202a729c9fabcdb48652f4c8e9f.jpeg
🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

image.thumb.jpeg.1cba490083d622013467a287ee96de41.jpeg
🌴 I am so sorry about my pictures!! We went for a walk along the beach yesterday. Again apologize for the upside down pics.

image.thumb.jpeg.1134e4ce71cb7feb08cc5567aec53270.jpeg

Here is one of my paintings 

Black Rock with Hilton in back ground.

I will be off the grid for awhile.

Hope all of you have a wonderful day!

🌺My sisters take care and know I care a lot for both of you! Joy my baby hummingbird is gone now😞 It was fun watching the process of egg to baby Chub Chub!  Think of you at Hula Bar and Grill!🌺Ann I will think of you on our kayaking and again someday would be fun to do it with you!

No quarantine needed for us with Covid shots. We did show our cards and they still took temps. We wore masks on plane United and it was fine. Same in Maui!

❤️ To all!

🌴Mahalo

Denise😊

• Like 25