Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

5 minutes ago, MN2Cruise said:

Has anyone on any of the earlier Iceland cruises (we are on the July 17 cruise) used E-check for payment of their Optional Excursions (saving the 3.3% like we have done for the cruise fare)?

I think someone mentioned this earlier (though perhaps they had not actually done it), and my sister called today and the Viking rep said they could not take E-check for excursions.

Just wondering since we hope to book optional excursions tomorrow!!

Mark

Mark, it was one of the options I saw when I booked an excursion just the other night. I didn't choose it but it was there.

I was on the site on June 1, just over 30days before we board.

Edited by Peregrina651

2 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

It's hard trying to choose some of the shore excursions based on descriptions. Does anyone have any more information about the In the Footsteps of the Elves tour in Seydisfjordur? Is there any chance of seeing the elusive puffin on this tour? It's a bit pricey so it would be helpful to know what we might see. And taking that tour precludes taking the included tour. Appreciate any insight.

I think the best chances of seeing puffins are on the islands- Vigur or Heimaey.  My brother did an EarthWatch trip to Heimaey in the early 80's, and he saw lots of puffins just walking around in town. I think there are lots of puffins in Iceland;  they are food (or were).   

From- the culture trip.com  

71ae8416-25e4-472d-ace8-1fb31d443fc3.jpg
Puffin | © (rinse) / Flickr

While other native Icelandic wildlife is part of a long-standing tradition, such as minke whale, shark, and horse, smoked puffin is perhaps the most palatable. Some say it tastes like beef jerky. There are many ways to eat it, most involving a variety of sauces and gravies. The act of eating raw puffin heart is considered a delicacy and is supposedly the best part. However, it is no longer as common as it used to be and you will only find the older generation of Icelanders eating raw puffin heart nowadays. Iceland’s puffin colonies are the most numerous in the whole world with estimates of 10 to 15 million. While puffin-hunting is illegal in Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands are the only places where it is still permitted.

Edited by EJLobster
Add source

9 hours ago, USI said:

Exactly…With all the detailed negatives enumerated here by some, I’m beginning to wonder what in their list of pros and cons of going on this trip, what could possibly be listed as pros to outweigh the ever burgeoning list of negatives? 

I'm with you.  Considered this cruise.  Read the thread.  Not gonna do it.   But, thankfully for many, its mostly about the onboard experience, and they really miss cruising.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MN2Cruise said:

Has anyone on any of the earlier Iceland cruises (we are on the July 17 cruise) used E-check for payment of their Optional Excursions (saving the 3.3% like we have done for the cruise fare)?

I think someone mentioned this earlier (though perhaps they had not actually done it), and my sister called today and the Viking rep said they could not take E-check for excursions.

Just wondering since we hope to book optional excursions tomorrow!!

Mark

Yes someone on an earlier cruise did!  Saved $50.  Said it could be done as long as 30 days or more before cruise.

ARGH!!! Dining for specialty restaurants finally opened up for me and only times left are 8PM... We're morning people and that is very late for us. Only allowed one night in each specialty restaurant. Maybe the times are late since we are a group of 4?

32 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

ARGH!!! Dining for specialty restaurants finally opened up for me and only times left are 8PM... We're morning people and that is very late for us. Only allowed one night in each specialty restaurant. Maybe the times are late since we are a group of 4?

I hear you.  My DH must eat early.  Try the Chefs Table as soon as you get on board.  People will change their reservations if they don't like the menu for their day.  Manfred's is tougher but try it too.  Also check after you book shorex.  People might be dropping their early dining reservation if their excursion gets back too close to their dinner time.

40 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

Assume you saw my post on other thread!  I did the same panic until I realized I had to cancel The Restaurant rezzies.  This thread is making me rush, rush, rush with everything and not think!  

1 minute ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Assume you saw my post on other thread!  I did the same panic until I realized I had to cancel The Restaurant rezzies.  This thread is making me rush, rush, rush with everything and not think!  

Yes it is seriously taxing our relaxed retired lifestyle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Any news on shore excursion bookings for those of you eligible to book today?  Curious about availability 

Not available for about 3 hours.  We are going in here blind as we really do not know what will be offered nor the times.  We can only conjecture based on those before us.  I am sure you will hear all about it.

14 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

We purposefully did not make main dining reservations waiting for the specialty restaurant options to open - and because of that miscalculation we could only get very late reservations in the main dining hall as well. That's why I am thinking that having a group of 4 is what is causing this problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes it is seriously taxing our relaxed retired lifestyle.

Yep.  And planning a cruise in a rapidly-changing world situation is especially hard -- too many "what if's" and anxiety for my aging brain!  And as for excursions, I've always felt sorry for cruise ship excursion personnel, as they have more to deal with than other departments.  In some respects, I think I'd like their jobs, because I love learning and planning about the world.  But in other respects, I think I'd go crazy......

19 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

We purposefully did not make main dining reservations waiting for the specialty restaurant options to open - and because of that miscalculation we could only get very late reservations in the main dining hall as well. That's why I am thinking that having a group of 4 is what is causing this problem.

Not sure that's so. I made early 6PM reservations for party of 4 and later made specialty reservations. 3 July cruise though. Point being that they are set up to accommodate parties larger than 2.

9 hours ago, EJLobster said:

I think the best chances of seeing puffins are on the islands- Vigur or Heimaey.  My brother did an EarthWatch trip to Heimaey in the early 80's, and he saw lots of puffins just walking around in town. I think there are lots of puffins in Iceland;  they are food (or were).   

From- the culture trip.com  

71ae8416-25e4-472d-ace8-1fb31d443fc3.jpg
Puffin | © (rinse) / Flickr

While other native Icelandic wildlife is part of a long-standing tradition, such as minke whale, shark, and horse, smoked puffin is perhaps the most palatable. Some say it tastes like beef jerky. There are many ways to eat it, most involving a variety of sauces and gravies. The act of eating raw puffin heart is considered a delicacy and is supposedly the best part. However, it is no longer as common as it used to be and you will only find the older generation of Icelanders eating raw puffin heart nowadays. Iceland’s puffin colonies are the most numerous in the whole world with estimates of 10 to 15 million. While puffin-hunting is illegal in Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands are the only places where it is still permitted.

I'm not one of the people hoping to book excursions today.  However, I've been trying to read up on puffin opportunities in a couple travel books I have.  It sounds like our chances of seeing puffins are pretty good on Vigur, as well as Heimaey, as you (obviously) already stated!  But I also read that the puffin population is decreasing in Iceland, likely due to global warming.  So I'm trying to be realistic about my chances of seeing them.  

But I'm wondering if there's anywhere that we can go to find reviews of specific excursions, whether from cruisers or land visitors. I know Cruise Critic has a small section for excursion reviews, and maybe more info in the Ports of Call section too.  I haven't had time to look, though. 

Viking and Oceania both like to have a native food day on many of their cruises.  Maybe Viking will have a grill set up as part of the World Cafe and offer us a taste of puffin!  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

Try Chat, TellUs, and phone call and see if they can help. Others have said they have

gotten bookings sorted out that way.

• Like 1

Question for you wise ones who already booked shorex.  Did anyone ever figure out the length of time required between booking two excursions in one day and the time between when your excursion ended and your dinner or spa reservation began?

19 hours ago, philw1776 said:

I don't believe that the Viking person is anywhere near correct with just 195 bookings

You can ask this question.  Is a booking considered as 2 people (or a cabin) or one individual?  195 bookings might equal approx 400.

2 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Question for you wise ones who already booked shorex.  Did anyone ever figure out the length of time required between booking two excursions in one day and the time between when your excursion ended and your dinner or spa reservation began?

I have two excursions separated by one hour.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobchico said:

You can ask this question.  Is a booking considered as 2 people (or a cabin) or one individual?  195 bookings might equal approx 400.

A "booking" is for a cabin and can be for 1 or 2 people.  My booking number is for me and my DH.

22 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm not one of the people hoping to book excursions today.  However, I've been trying to read up on puffin opportunities in a couple travel books I have.  It sounds like our chances of seeing puffins are pretty good on Vigur, as well as Heimaey, as you (obviously) already stated!  But I also read that the puffin population is decreasing in Iceland, likely due to global warming.  So I'm trying to be realistic about my chances of seeing them.  

But I'm wondering if there's anywhere that we can go to find reviews of specific excursions, whether from cruisers or land visitors. I know Cruise Critic has a small section for excursion reviews, and maybe more info in the Ports of Call section too.  I haven't had time to look, though. 

Viking and Oceania both like to have a native food day on many of their cruises.  Maybe Viking will have a grill set up as part of the World Cafe and offer us a taste of puffin!  

Also non Viking descriptions of the Skalanes Nature Center (Day 5) mentions a puffin colony. 

• Like 1

We hope to see the Ps on this tour

WILDLIFE OF HEIMAEY BY BOAT 2H      Panoramic sail to admire the wildlife and natural surroundings of Heimaey. Cruise through the stunning natural harbor and setting sight on the towering clifftops that envelop the surrounding landscape. Gliding across these pristine waters, gaze at the thriving colonies that are home to several species of sea birds. Your guide explains the variety of birdlife (Puffins!) that migrate here to breed. Beneath the waves the ocean is home to orcas, dolphins and porpoises, if you are lucky, whales can often be spotted in these waters. Sail into Klettshellir, a stunning natural cave that is famed for its excellent acoustics.After circumnavigating the island, return to Heimaey harbor. 

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I have two excursions separated by one hour.  

The only way we were notified for our July 3 cruise is when we tried to book dinner reservations or the shore excursion and received a 'calendar conflict' notice that would not let us proceed. We mainly have a 5:30 dinner reservation each night with excursions ending around 4pm and had no problems booking them, however I have no idea of any official guideline here. 

10 hours ago, jtwind said:

I'm with you.  Considered this cruise.  Read the thread.  Not gonna do it.   But, thankfully for many, its mostly about the onboard experience, and they really miss cruising.  

For me, it's mostly about the destinations, and I doubt I'm only person on here, or who will be on my cruise, who feels that way.  I haven't ruled out the possibility that it will be completely possible to see and do a lot without the choice of doing it on my own.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

We hope to see the Ps on this tour

WILDLIFE OF HEIMAEY BY BOAT 2H      Panoramic sail to admire the wildlife and natural surroundings of Heimaey. Cruise through the stunning natural harbor and setting sight on the towering clifftops that envelop the surrounding landscape. Gliding across these pristine waters, gaze at the thriving colonies that are home to several species of sea birds. Your guide explains the variety of birdlife (Puffins!) that migrate here to breed. Beneath the waves the ocean is home to orcas, dolphins and porpoises, if you are lucky, whales can often be spotted in these waters. Sail into Klettshellir, a stunning natural cave that is famed for its excellent acoustics.After circumnavigating the island, return to Heimaey harbor. 

Maybe more than you ever want to know about puffins:  https://independenttravelcats.com/where-to-see-puffins-in-iceland/