Vaccines to cruise. CCL needs to join and get back to cruising!

Hflors

I just looked at my favorite online ta site and now they have the cruise lines listed that require vaccines.  Guess who is missing????   All ccl brands.  I hope they join soon so we all can get back to cruising!!!

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Hflors said:

All ccl brands.  I hope they join soon so we all can get back to cruising!!!

I feel they will, as to when? I also feel when they are backed into a corner and forced to.

JMT

Joseph

CCL has now come out and just about said that they want the CDC to make that rule not them.  I  am on my way out of the door but I will try to come back later and share that YouTube video.   Of course HAL could have a separate policy from corporate

Edited by Mary229

I don't really follow CCL's other brands, but I have not read a single post on this HAL board by someone who does not want all passengers and crew to be fully vaccinated.  I could imagine that the people who frequent the Carnival brand might be OK without vaccinations, but that shouldn't stop HAL from being able to have its own rules for its clientele.  We will not get on a cruise ship without everyone being vaccinated, especially if it eliminates the need to wear masks onboard.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

CCL has now come out and just about said that they want the CDC to make that rule not them.  I  am on my way out of the door but I will try to come back later and share that YouTube video.   Of course HAL could have a separate policy from corporate

I agree 200% that Vaccination of all Passengers and Crew Be Required. 

Just my personal opinion is that CCL Corp is hurting and causing some of the delay in getting things to move forward. CCL does want the CDC to state that Vaccination be required so they do not have to be the bad guy and they can blame the CDC. If CCL which actually has the most cruises sailing out of the North America would have responded within hours of when NCL made their bold excellent statement  we would be a lot further along in the process of knowing when cruising will start. I really wish that the HAL Group / Princess and HAL would come forward with the same statement but oddly Jan Swartz has been very quiet and allowing Christine Duffy to do all the talking. Even better yet lets hear from Stein Kruse. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@LAFFNVEGAS  My only opinion is about what I think they are doing,  It is their business to run into the ground or grow to success. What they decide is up to them.  As strongly as you feel and if you are a shareholder you should definitely let them know your opinion directly 

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

CCL does want the CDC to state that Vaccination be required so they do not have to be the bad guy and they can blame the CDC.

That is what I call hitting the nail on the head!

Joseph

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ehogan said:

Just cancelled my early 2022 CCL cruise as a result of their lack of commitment to requiring full vaccinations for all on board.

I can't say as I blame you, and I hope you made clear to them why you were cancelling.

I do the majority of my cruises on Carnival and I certainly don't want to be on board a ship with anyone who hasn't been vaccinated.  We've already seen how quickly the original Covid virus spread throughout a ship, and the two variants going around now spread much more readily and are more deadly than the original.

• Like 1

I think this is the Youtube where Duffy talks about vaccines.  I have been super busy today so didn't have time to rescreen the video.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mmqBlWiOFc

Tomorrow is Carnival Corp's Global Science Summit.  There is likely something to be said there.  There may still be time to register

https://www.covidsciencesummit.com/event/homeinside

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not quite sure what you are asking above?  A passenger list of crew that are vaccinated?

My question is that if the CDC is not requiring a vaccinated crew or passenger list, why are we bashing HAL/CCL for not announcing required vaccination. They don't have to require full vaccination if they don't want to. Note this was asked very early in the discussion.

Typo on my part in the original post.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

My question is that if the CDC is not requiring a vaccinated crew or passenger list, why are we bashing HAL/CCL for not announcing required vaccination. They don't have to require full vaccination if they don't want to. Note this was asked very early in the discussion.

aah, got it.

IMO, the cruise lines would have a better shot at negotiating some of the more conservative CDC requirements if they would agree to full vaccination. But perhaps that's wrong-headed of me.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I agree.  Why would a business put themselves in a quandary for an unknown outcome.   No one knows the CDC’s next move nor can predict it.  The CDC doesn’t really know it’s next move because it’s authority resides solely with the Emergency declaration which can be revoked with no input from them.   Lest we forget CCL derives a lot of income from families.  It could be said the CCL was the pioneer in family cruising and clearly has established themselves as the leading family cruise corporation.  Why jeopardize that by alienating customers when they don’t have to. 

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

aah, got it.

IMO, the cruise lines would have a better shot at negotiating some of the more conservative CDC requirements if they would agree to full vaccination. But perhaps that's wrong-headed of me.

You may well be right. I find it ironic people want a cruise line that is different (read "better") then all the others, but they also want all the things they think are great about other cruise lines...a little off topic, I know. But indirectly related.

We are fully vaccinated, so it is a moot point for us, but I also think Carnival, particularly, limits themselves, if they are going to try to stay relevant to the "younger crowd", and requires fully vaccinated pax, and wants to start by say, July 1. 

And, it has not yet been thought out where all the crew vaccine will come from, particularly those cruise lines pushing for a July start. Countries are screaming for vaccines, and cruise lines want to jump in front of the line? That will go over well. Yes, I know production is ramping up, but I haven't seen any sources that say there will be a few hundred thousand doses just sitting around by June 1, to be assigned to cruise ships, to meet the July sailing plans.

I also saw a plan today for ships to just stop in at Port Canaveral to get the crews vaccinated. So that means the vaccines come from the US supply commitments. Hmmm...

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I also saw a plan today for ships to just stop in at Port Canaveral to get the crews vaccinated. So that means the vaccines come from the US supply commitments. Hmmm...

If the "plan" is to come to Florida for crew vaccination cruise lines need to run this by the state of Florida first.  You must show residency to be vaccinated here in Florida. 

Of course the cruse lines might be able to make a deal with Florida as many Floridians were put out of work when cruising was halted.  My cousin was one of them.  He is still out of work!   

Edited by Hflors
Correct spelling

My understanding is that the Moderna vaccine is very close to full FDA approval rather than an EUA.  I also believe that once that happens the vaccine can go on public sale so cruise lines can purchase their own vaccines.

Roy

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My understanding is that the Moderna vaccine is very close to full FDA approval rather than an EUA.  I also believe that once that happens the vaccine can go on public sale so cruise lines can purchase their own vaccines.

Roy

Pfizer plans to seek full authorization in the next month or two, but that authorization wouldn't come before late summer. Moderna also indicates it will seek full approval soon, but no further info has been released. So, in the best case, there wouldn't be a full approval probably before later summer.

That doesn't answer the supply question. Moderna, Pfizer and J&J all have supply commitments in the many billions of doses to governments around the world. I doubt anybody would be happy if those companies starting selling before meeting their commitments.

They certainly can buy from the Indians, the Chinese or the Russians.  Those are widely used worldwide and are acceptable options.  (no bigoted responses please)

And in all likelihood they have been purchased, how else is RCCL declaring full vaccinations.

Edited by Mary229

32 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They certainly can buy from the Indians, the Chinese or the Russians.  Those are widely used worldwide and are acceptable options.  (no bigoted responses please)

And in all likelihood they have been purchased, how else is RCCL declaring full vaccinations.

Not sure we know the quality of vaccines made in those countries...that info will come in the future. Not sure, if I were RCI, that I would want to use an unproven (by Western standards) vaccine. India just pulled back all exports to meet their own needs. Yes Russia and China are exporting, using "vaccine diplomacy " and probably would appreciate the cash flow.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure we know the quality of vaccines made in those countries...that info will come in the future. Not sure, if I were RCI, that I would want to use an unproven (by Western standards) vaccine. India just pulled back all exports to meet their own needs. Yes Russia and China are exporting, using "vaccine diplomacy " and probably would appreciate the cash flow.

Much of the world including some of our closest allies in the Middle East are using the Russian and Chinese vaccines.  If I recall correctly,  as an example Indonesia is using the Russian vaccine and are just getting underway in vaccinating.  So if RCCL has a large Indonesian or European crew they must be getting them vaccinated somehow and it certainly is not from government issued supplies.

Let's be honest. Its not the CDC's fault that the Conditional Sailing Order has not been lifted/modified. There's been plenty of time for negotiations to progress.

The cruise industry does not have a common stance on vaccinations. But, there are now big cracks within the CLIA. The smaller companies were the first to announce vax mandate.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/cruise-lines-require-covid-19-221135045.html

Now, RCL and NCL have both declared for mandatory vaccinations. That leaves just CCL. They should join the industry's standard. Negotiations can move on to other issues!

BTW, the CCL brands operating in the UK (Cunard and P&O) have also announced vax mandates. No-brainer for CCL to do the same for the resumption of cruises everywhere!

Is the Donald Arnold under the illusion that he can allow kids to board, and expect them to wear masks? 

• Like 1

As we enter the 5th quarter of Covid with an effective vaccine may I remind those that the influenza pandemic of 1918–19, also called the Spanish flu, lasted between one and two years.

just saying.....

Joseph

Edited by rucrazy
spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

As we enter the 5th quarter of Covid wit6h an effective vaccine may I remind those that the influenza pandemic of 1918–19, also called the Spanish flu, lasted between one and two years.

just saying.....

Joseph

the Spanish flu lasted 2 years without a vaccine and with a WW.  I am amazed as I look daily at the vaccination rates. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2