Norwegian Fjords

12 hours ago, John Bull said:

We used this same company for their 7.5 hr Troll tour from Alesund . Excellent operator, excellent day.

Seats aren't allocated - for best views get yourselves seats on the same side of the coach as the door.

JB 🙂

We have booked a similar Troll tour and will now look to sit on the side with the door, opposite side of the driver.  Thank you for this tip!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mackfam said:

What were the hiking trails like (difficulty/condition) and were they clearly marked?

clearly marked. with direction name and how long of a trail it was.

I would say they are basic to intermediate, just wear comyfy shoes.!

image.thumb.png.331ad66e70389decd705ce60cee91df7.png

1 hour ago, alexgtp said:

clearly marked. with direction name and how long of a trail it was.

I would say they are basic to intermediate, just wear comyfy shoes.!

image.thumb.png.331ad66e70389decd705ce60cee91df7.png

I would assume that the hikes are colour-coded, and that the green was easy, blue intermediate and red more difficult. 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, fredcdobbs said:

Hello, Has anyone taken this HAL cruise? HAL.thumb.png.4571cfeb6450416c086326efd05a2bc0.png

It seems an incredible waste of time to go back to Amsterdam in the middle of the cruise, which is really 2 7-day cruises back to back. That said the ports are pretty good. 

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fredcdobbs said:

Hello, Has anyone taken this HAL cruise? 

Many has probably taken a Norwegian Fjords HAL cruise - what do you want to know?
Flåm and Geiranger are deep scenic fjords sailings with the Flåm railway and viewpoints

Bergen, Ålesund and Stavanger are nice coastal cities with many options

Oslo is the capital of Norway and Ulvik I don’t know.

in fact two 7 nights cruises from Amsterdam. 

8 hours ago, fredcdobbs said:

Hello, Has anyone taken this HAL cruise? HAL.thumb.png.4571cfeb6450416c086326efd05a2bc0.png

To answer literally: No, because it doesn’t depart for another month! 😂 (If someone has a time machine, please send me a DM!)

Less literally: Cruise schedules and port restrictions change every year in Norway, so it’s very unlikely that HAL has operated an identical itinerary in the past. Moreover, cruise traffic patterns have changed significantly in the past two years due to the war. A lot of cruiselines were still planned for the Baltic last summer, so Norway has had a huge increase in attention since the absence of St.Petersburg has taken a toll on the Baltic routes. However, as mentioned above, most of these are well-trafficked ports, so while people may not have been on this particular itinerary, many have visited these destinations on other cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

Any recommendations for a SIM card to use when visiting Norway.

Not possible to answer immediately. What is your first destination in Europe - the easiest is to buy a SIM card on arrival in Europe. The answer also depends on what you are going to use your phone for - is it only data roaming or is it also phone calls to specific countries. Not really Norwegian Fjords related question - you might want to start a new topic on the subject and provide a bit more information and get better advice.

Edited by hallasm

Hi, I wondered if anyone knew about the situation with toddler car seats on coach tours in Norway? We are off on a fjord cruise on Iona next weekend. I read somewhere they are required by law and will be provided, but when I contacted the only tour we are doing ourselves they said our toddler should just sit on our knee. That was a short journey on a “city bus” so perhaps different. Would rather not have to take our own seat if possible! I asked P&O  but they couldn’t help. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Sunshine453 said:

Hi, I wondered if anyone knew about the situation with toddler car seats on coach tours in Norway? We are off on a fjord cruise on Iona next weekend. I read somewhere they are required by law and will be provided, but when I contacted the only tour we are doing ourselves they said our toddler should just sit on our knee. That was a short journey on a “city bus” so perhaps different. Would rather not have to take our own seat if possible! I asked P&O  but they couldn’t help. Thanks!

Most (all?) charter and long-distance buses have them. However, there are different regulations for buses that stay under 80 kph. If a bus is registered to allow standing passengers (as is the case with most downtown city buses) they may not have seatbelts at all, and these may or may not have child booster seats depending on the age and manufacturer. They do usually have space for prams that is shared with wheelchairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Have been reading  some but not really well-informed about Norway Fjords' itineraries. Our plans are to look to see Geirenger, Flam and Alesund based on what I have read on different posts.  Any other suggestions are welcome!

Also please share your recommended cruise line for this cruise and why; we are flexible as to which to choose and ideal length of cruise. Thinking smaller ship would be ideal but willing to consider all suggestions. Finally, have also been reading about zero emission ports and impact on 2025 itineraries. We can't go until 2025 so I'm concerned about that.  Has anyone already done the research and wouldn't mind sharing?  It would be so appreciated. 

Edited by Islander500

On 4/29/2021 at 12:07 PM, hallasm said:

An Alaska cruise cannot be compared with Baltic cruise - a Baltic cruise does include cultural cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Riga - Might  have meant a Norwegian Fjords Cruise - the deep Norwegian fjords are impressive.
Many Baltic and Norwegian Fjord cruises originate from Copenhagen and are ideal for B2B.

Just be aware that not all Norwegian cruises does include the long fjords - look for itineraries like Geiranger, Flåm, and Olden - a Norwegian fjord Cruise should include at least one of these ports - preferable two in order to navigate the scenic fjords in my video in post #7.

I found a series of 7-day cruises on MSC that does both Geiranger and Flam and its the only cruise that I have found that does that.  We are looking at that for 2025.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Hello all,

Have been reading  some but not really well-informed about Norway Fjords' itineraries. Our plans are to look to see Geirenger, Flam and Alesund based on what I have read on different posts.  Any other suggestions are welcome!

Also please share your recommended cruise line for this cruise and why; we are flexible as to which to choose and ideal length of cruise. Thinking smaller ship would be ideal but willing to consider all suggestions. Finally, have also been reading about zero emission ports and impact on 2025 itineraries. We can't go until 2025 so I'm concerned about that.  Has anyone already done the research and wouldn't mind sharing?  It would be so appreciated. 

I would suggest Viking CruiseLines or Hurtigruten. They are the two expert lines on this area. Check them out on line. Viking is a real cruise, Hurtigruten is actually  the coastal express that began as a ferry (people, goods and cars) up and down the whole west coast of Norway and has slowly become more “cruise” like. Traveled with both lines many times and recommend them highly. (Note: I do not recommend them if fancy dress dinners, photographers, or cabin level activity differential is your choice.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Finally, have also been reading about zero emission ports and impact on 2025 itineraries. We can't go until 2025 so I'm concerned about that.  Has anyone already done the research and wouldn't mind sharing?  It would be so appreciated. 

.......... Its from 2026....... 

The regulation are for the world heritage fjords... Geiranger, Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord (Flåm) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, bguppies said:

DW is now debating between 3 different Norwegian cruises.,

1) In Search of the Northern Lights   (no dates yet for 2025 but she was looking at the itinerary for the 2/17/2024 sailing as an example.)(my personal LAST choice)

Sat. Feb. 17 - Bergen

Sun. Feb. 18 - Bergen

Mon Feb. 19 - Scenic Sailing: Norwegian Inside Passage

Tue Feb. 20 - Scenic Sailing:Norwegian Inside Passge

Wed Feb. 21 - Alta

Thu Feb 22 - Alta

Fri Feb. 23 - Tromso

Sat. Feb. 24 - Tromso

Sun Feb. 25 - Narvik

Mon Feb 26 - Scenic Sailing : Norweigian Inside Passage

Tue Feb 27 - Sail the North Sea

Wed Feb 28 - Amsterdam

Thu Feb 29 - London (Tilbury)

OK judging by the days, it seems that Alta and Tromso must be in the Artic Circle and staying 2 days to allow for night watching of the Lights?

Not sure how good any of those ports are.

Is the Norweigian Inside Passage just like the Intercoastal Waterway on the US East Coast?

I'd personally prefer to cruise a deep Fjord (which I know this cruise has none) even if you could 100% guarantee me seeing the Northern Lights.

2) Viking Shores and Fjords - June 22- 2025

Sun June 22 Amsterdam

Mon June 23 - Sail the North Sea

Tue June 24 - Skagen Denmark

Wed June 25 - Oslo

Thu June 26 Krisitiansand

Fri June 27 Stavanger   (my birthday)

Sat June 28 Flam          (wish this was my birthday)

Sun June 29 - Bergen

I know Flam is in a deep fjord. Are any oither fjords accesible from any of the other ports via excursion? Any other must do's in any of these ports?

3) Into the Midnight Sun - June 23, 2025

Mon June 23 Bergen

Tue June 24 - Bergen

Wed June 25 - Geiranger

Thu June 26 - Sail the Norwewegioan Sea

Fri June 27 Lofoten (leknes)   (Again my birthday)

Sat June 28 - Tromso

Sun June 29 - Honningsvag (Nordkapp)

Then the Norwegian Sea to Scotland and eventually London

I know Geiranger is a deep water fjord.

I'm assuming Lofoten, Tromso and Honningsvag are all in the artic circle to see the midnight sun?

Reading through this thread I've seen alot of other cruises that seem to have more fjord stops.

I just need to see if there are any around my birthday on June 27th. (DW is determined to try and have it over that week)

What would the weather be in southern and northern Norway in the last two weeks of June ?

Would a few weeks earlier or later improve the experience much over thye end of June?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could give.

You and I share a birthday 😊

Such a helpful group for this topic - the Norwegian fjords have been a bucket list destination for a number of years. 

I had been holding off on booking for 2024 until my preferred small ship line (Silversea) released their itineraries for the second half of 2025 - only to find that they are not including Geiranger or Flam on their 2025 itineraries.    Since I did not book sooner, will be paying quite a bit more than originally anticipated for the following itinerary for August 2024 due to a hefty single supplement: 

• Copenhagen
  • Day at sea
  • Stavanger
  • Alesund
  • Trondheim
  • Geieranger
  • Flam
  • Bergen
  • Arendal
  • Skagen
  • Copenhagen

Most of their 2025 itineraries for the fjords are 7 days and they appear to be replacing Geiranger and Flam with Olden and Vik. I am curious on thoughts about this new itinerary and any input about Vik:   

• Copenhagen
  • Day at Sea
  • Vik
  • Olden
  • Andalsnes
  • Trondheim
  • Alesund
  • Bergen

Thanks in advance!

19 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Most of their 2025 itineraries for the fjords are 7 days and they appear to be replacing Geiranger and Flam with Olden and Vik. I am curious on thoughts about this new itinerary and any input about Vik:

The 10 day itinerary is OK - only exception is Arendal.

Skagen is a small fishing village in Denmark.

For the 7 day itinerary:

Olden is a fair substitute for Geiranger while Vik (Vikøyri) is not that interesting - very small port. Åndalsnes is not that interesting either.

Trondheim, Ålesund and Bergen are all coastal cities.

57 minutes ago, hallasm said:

The 10 day itinerary is OK - only exception is Arendal.

Skagen is a small fishing village in Denmark.

For the 7 day itinerary:

Olden is a fair substitute for Geiranger while Vik (Vikøyri) is not that interesting - very small port. Åndalsnes is not that interesting either.

Trondheim, Ålesund and Bergen are all coastal cities.

Thanks so much, @hallasm

I visited Skagen on a voyage in 2017; it was a charming little town so happy to visit again.  Appreciate the perspective regarding the other ports. You've confirmed for me that it was wise to book the 2024 itinerary that includes Geiranger and Flam; even though the cost was quite a bit more. 

• Like 1

Have any of you been to Alesund and done any excursions? I am trying to decide between Hjørundfjord cruise (in a private chartered boat) and the islands of Giske and Godøy. Or would it be better to forget the excursions and just wander around Alesund? (I know about the Aksla viewpoint already and will be checking that out anyway 😉 Let me know if you know anything, thanks!

24 minutes ago, chickenwings1 said:

Have any of you been to Alesund and done any excursions? I am trying to decide between Hjørundfjord cruise (in a private chartered boat) and the islands of Giske and Godøy. Or would it be better to forget the excursions and just wander around Alesund? (I know about the Aksla viewpoint already and will be checking that out anyway 😉 Let me know if you know anything, thanks!

We were looking to do the Troll Road in Alesund, if that helps.  We haven't actually done it as we had to reschedule but it looked like a good time.