Norwegian Fjords

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

But what is the thought about an early May sailing? 

These are actually two good itineraries.

The weather can be very nice in May - there is still snow in the mountains and roads to viewpoints in Geiranger may be closed.

In Flåm, many people cycle back from Myrdal to Flåm - bike hire is not possible in May.

17 hours ago, mahdnc said:

What kind of tourist services would be unavailable during the later part of the season? I know that’s a pretty general question but while that sounds quite logical, I can’t imagine what that would mean in my case. I imagine stores are still open? Are certain important attractions closed? Private guides can still be hired? I would imagine the ship would still offer their normal range of expensive shorex offerings?

Small ports like Geiranger (~250 residents) operate largely on a seasonal basis, so when traveling in low or shoulder season, it's important to research up front if the activities you want are available. For example, the sightseeing bus, RIB boat tours, electric car rentals, etc. will all stop running at the end of the season. In the past, the season typically ended by September, but due to climate change and increased cruise traffic, some operators now have longer seasons. Some ship excursions will likely be available, but the selection and capacity may be reduced. Advanced research and early bookings are essential.

Tourist shops may also close, since they often rely on seasonal workers, and won't see enough off-season visitors to warrant staying open. (There are a few small corner-store style groceries that are open year-round.)

In larger coastal cities, there tends to be more year-round visitors, so they are less impacted by seasonal closings. However, if you're looking at outdoor activities, this is another thing to check as seasonal offerings may vary.

I’m thinking about booking this Celebrity Apex cruise to the Norwegian fjords. I’ve been reading some of the posts here but it’s all a bit overwhelming for a newbie. 

Is this a good itinerary and does it have deep fjord stops?

Also, the sailing is on May 8th, is that a good or bad time to go?

Are there other ports that I should be looking to do? Or better month to go? I’m not interested in the midnight sun experience. 

IMG_0602.thumb.jpeg.a98d16b56bfafb3ee2b40ee6ef0ba2aa.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I’m thinking about booking this Celebrity Apex cruise to the Norwegian fjords. I’ve been reading some of the posts here but it’s all a bit overwhelming for a newbie. 

Are there other ports that I should be looking to do? Or better month to go? I’m not interested in the midnight sun experience. 

Looks like an excellent itinerary to me. Both Geiranger and Flam are major fjord ports.Bergegn is not a fjord port, but there is a lot to do and see there. 

4 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

This hits all 3 major deep water fjords, Geiranger, Olden and Flam. However, you might be too early for the roads to some of the viewpoints to be open.

8 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I repeat what the other two have written, but a nice itineary - 3 deep fjords and Bergen. Bruges is also a very nice city.

As also mentioned early in the season.
In Flåm there are some who take the train to Myrdal and cycle back - this is not possible in May.
Likewise, roads may be closed to the highest viewpoints in Geiranger.

There is never midnight sun on this fjords itinerary - then you have to go much further north.

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

There is never midnight sun on this fjords itinerary - then you have to go much further north.

@Cruise Gopher specifically mentioned that they were not interested in midnight sun.

12 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I’m not interested in the midnight sun experience. 

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

This hits all 3 major deep water fjords, Geiranger, Olden and Flam. However, you might be too early for the roads to some of the viewpoints to be open.

This early May sailing is the only one that hits all three of these major fjord ports. In your opinion, which two ports should I focus on if I had to prioritize and look at another sailing date in the Summer?

These are the other options…

IMG_0604.thumb.jpeg.dcb288eaa3bd9f44fa015c2354bbda96.jpegIMG_0605.thumb.jpeg.29a2cbafc3094f18ee57bd863f25d7af.jpeg

Edited by Cruise Gopher
Added other cruise options

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

specifically mentioned that they were not interested in midnight sun.

Question was in relation to a cruise in May. Since no midnight sun in May I just wanted to emphasize that there is no midnight sun either in June/July in the deep Norwegian fjord area.

3 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

These are the other options…

IMG_0604.thumb.jpeg.dcb288eaa3bd9f44fa015c2354bbda96.jpegIMG_0605.thumb.jpeg.29a2cbafc3094f18ee57bd863f25d7af.jpeg

I would choose a cruise with two fjords - ports not mentioned are not that interesting.

Prioritized:

Jun 20 - two deep fjords + Stavanger

Jul 4 - Two deep fjords

Aug 15 - one deep fjord + Bergen and Ålesund

Jun 27 - one deep fjord + Bergen

Aug 22 - one Deep fjord + Stavanger 

47 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I would choose a cruise with two fjords - ports not mentioned are not that interesting.

Prioritized:

Jun 20 - two deep fjords + Stavanger

Jul 4 - Two deep fjords

Aug 15 - one deep fjord + Bergen and Ålesund

Jun 27 - one deep fjord + Bergen

Aug 22 - one Deep fjord + Stavanger 

Thank you! I am deciding between the June 20th and July 4th ones. Just curious, what is the draw for Stavanger to make that June 20th one more appealing? What is there to do and see in Stavanger?

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I am deciding between the June 20th and July 4th ones. Just curious, what is the draw for Stavanger to make that June 20th one more appealing? What is there to do and see in Stavanger?

Because Stavanger is more interesting to visit than, for example, Nordfjordeid and Haugesund
Gamle Stavanger is one of Northern Europe's best-preserved wooden houses, as well as excursions to Pulpit Rock and Lysefjorden.

Also some interesting museums: Stavanger Maritime museum, The Norwegian Canning Museum and Norwegian Petroleum Museum.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Because Stavanger is more interesting to visit than, for example, Nordfjordeid and Haugesund
Gamle Stavanger is one of Northern Europe's best-preserved wooden houses, as well as excursions to Pulpit Rock and Lysefjorden.

Also some interesting museums: Stavanger Maritime museum, The Norwegian Canning Museum and Norwegian Petroleum Museum.

Thank you SO much for the help and guidance!

22 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Thank you! I am deciding between the June 20th and July 4th ones. Just curious, what is the draw for Stavanger to make that June 20th one more appealing? What is there to do and see in Stavanger?

July 4th sailing is better because it goes to Bruge.

Does it matter which side of the ship to book to get the best view of the fjords? 

The itinerary I'm looking at is the Celebrity Apex May 8, 2026 which has previously been mentioned.  The Norway ports it visits are Bergen, Geiranger, Olden, and Flam.

2 hours ago, ecslady said:

Does it matter which side of the ship to book to get the best view of the fjords?

Which side is irrelevant. To really get the full impression of sailing through the deep fjords, you have to be on the upper decks. I recommend being up at sunrise and enjoying the scenic sailing.

Be on deck at least one hour before arrival in Flåm and Geiranger.

In Geiranger, 'The Seven Sisters' waterfall is on the left 30 minutes before arrival.

Towards Flåm, the Nærøyfjord is passed on the right approximately 45 minutes before arrival.

Evening sailings are through the same fjords but often there is dining and entertainment in the evenings but be on upper deck for the first part of the sailing.

17 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Which side is irrelevant. To really get the full impression of sailing through the deep fjords, you have to be on the upper decks. I recommend being up at sunrise and enjoying the scenic sailing.

Be on deck at least one hour before arrival in Flåm and Geiranger.

In Geiranger, 'The Seven Sisters' waterfall is on the left 30 minutes before arrival.

Towards Flåm, the Nærøyfjord is passed on the right approximately 45 minutes before arrival.

Evening sailings are through the same fjords but often there is dining and entertainment in the evenings but be on upper deck for the first part of the sailing.

Thank you.  That information is very helpful.

17 hours ago, ecslady said:

The itinerary I'm looking at is the Celebrity Apex May 8, 2026 which has previously been mentioned.  The Norway ports it visits are Bergen, Geiranger, Olden, and Flam.

That is an amazing itinerary.  We are going on the Apex May 10, 2025 - 7 days.

Includes Flam and Geiranger - would have loved to have Olden and Bergen also.  We have Nordfjordeid, Flam, Geiranger and Bruges.  There was another 2025 cruise that had Bergen and Olden but no Flam - hubby had to have the train in Flam. 

2 hours ago, Eno said:

That is an amazing itinerary.  We are going on the Apex May 10, 2025 - 7 days.

Includes Flam and Geiranger - would have loved to have Olden and Bergen also.  We have Nordfjordeid, Flam, Geiranger and Bruges.  There was another 2025 cruise that had Bergen and Olden but no Flam - hubby had to have the train in Flam. 

We also go to Bruges.

18 hours ago, ecslady said:

We also go to Bruges.

As you doubtless know, Bruges is in Belgium, en-route back to your turnaround port (Southampton ? Dover ?).

Bruges is a historic city with a cobbled city centre. About 7 miles from the sea & served by a canal it was a busy port city up to the 18th (?) Century, ringed by many canals (it's known as "the Venice of the North") The city's canals are flanked by warehouses & workshops concerned with the import of wool, and the exporting  of woollen products, lace-making, chocolate and beer. Lots of lace & chocolate shops in Bruges, and lots of coffee-shops,  restaurants & bars - other than the widely available products of major breweries, Belgian beers are strong, 7 to 9 proof.

As ships increased in size & the canal to the sea silted up, shipping moved to Zeebrugge, which is  the port  for your ship, plus ferries and cargo ships.

Bruges is well worth a visit - the centre is easy to walk and has many historic buildings and squares. Open boat trips along the canals - the boats are all open due to the low bridges (so carry an umbrella or waterproof clothes in case of rain), you can join a boat at a number of places - they all charge the same price & follow exactly the same route, but in a different order depending where you board.

Travel from the port by  https://www.cruise-express.be/en/ or ship's "Bruges on your own" transfer, or  by ship's shuttle to the train station at Blankenberge for the hourly train to Bruges, or travel to Bruges by taxi (best to pre-book and find sharers).

A ship's bus tour is probably not worthwhile because buses aren't permitted in the cobbled centre - for the same reason ship's "Bruges on your own" and the CruiseExpress drop passengers at Bargeplein, a level & pleasant 15 minute walk to the centre. From Bruges rail station to the centre is also a level 15-minute walk, Only taxis & cars & small local buses are permitted in the centre.

You also have options of train from Blankenberge to Brussels (modern city, IMHO not worthwhile) or Antwerp (quite similar to - but not as interesting as - Bruges), or the coastal tram (Kusttram) from outside the port to places like Ostend (Oostende) and the German fortifications of the AtlantikWall at Raversijde

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

As you doubtless know, Bruges is in Belgium, en-route back to your turnaround port (Southampton ? Dover ?).

Bruges is a historic city with a cobbled city centre. About 7 miles from the sea & served by a canal it was a busy port city up to the 18th (?) Century, ringed by many canals (it's known as "the Venice of the North") The city's canals are flanked by warehouses & workshops concerned with the import of wool, and the exporting  of woollen products, lace-making, chocolate and beer. Lots of lace & chocolate shops in Bruges, and lots of coffee-shops,  restaurants & bars - other than the widely available products of major breweries, Belgian beers are strong, 7 to 9 proof.

As ships increased in size & the canal to the sea silted up, shipping moved to Zeebrugge, which is  the port  for your ship, plus ferries and cargo ships.

Bruges is well worth a visit - the centre is easy to walk and has many historic buildings and squares. Open boat trips along the canals - the boats are all open due to the low bridges (so carry an umbrella or waterproof clothes in case of rain), you can join a boat at a number of places - they all charge the same price & follow exactly the same route, but in a different order depending where you board.

Travel from the port by  https://www.cruise-express.be/en/ or ship's "Bruges on your own" transfer, or  by ship's shuttle to the train station at Blankenberge for the hourly train to Bruges, or travel to Bruges by taxi (best to pre-book and find sharers).

A ship's bus tour is probably not worthwhile because buses aren't permitted in the cobbled centre - for the same reason ship's "Bruges on your own" and the CruiseExpress drop passengers at Bargeplein, a level & pleasant 15 minute walk to the centre. From Bruges rail station to the centre is also a level 15-minute walk, Only taxis & cars & small local buses are permitted in the centre.

You also have options of train from Blankenberge to Brussels (modern city, IMHO not worthwhile) or Antwerp (quite similar to - but not as interesting as - Bruges), or the coastal tram (Kusttram) from outside the port to places like Ostend (Oostende) and the German fortifications of the AtlantikWall at Raversijde

JB 🙂

Thanks so much for the tips on what to do in Bruges.

On 10/7/2024 at 6:50 AM, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

JB…we are a group of 6…we’ve visited Bruges during the Christmas season.  What would you recommend as the best way for us to travel to town center?  Is there a taxi for 6. We range in age from 50-85….thanks

12 hours ago, Blue Eyes said:

JB…we are a group of 6…we’ve visited Bruges during the Christmas season.  What would you recommend as the best way for us to travel to town center?  Is there a taxi for 6. We range in age from 50-85….thanks

Yes, there are taxis which takk six (up to 8 IIRC)

That’s definitely the best way for your group - cheapest for 6, and the taxi can take you from the port gate direct to the cobbled centre of Bruges. The Grotemarkt is the usual drop / pick up point in Bruges for taxis.

(from ship to port gate is by free shuttle bus)

But you are very unlikely to find ANY taxis, let alone a big one, available on-spec at the port gate.
You need to pre-book, and that,s not easy. And you need to enquire at about the right time - I strongly doubt they’l yet be interested in taking bookings for next year, but if you leave it til late there probably won’t be any big ones available.

JB 🙂