Woohoo Australia/New Zealand Travel Bubble

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Yes, all of that could happen, I agree.  It would take negotiation, though, and is not as simple as national flag carriers crossing the Tasman with domestic crew.  I can see how crew that are stationed here may start to be covered by domestic labour laws, too.  I would imagine the laws are quite complicated and probably have to be to stop the import of slave labour.

It shouldn't have to be any different to what it was in the past, other than making some adjustments for the pandemic. Each ship allowed to restart cruising here will need a few hundred crew members, even with reduced passenger numbers. It's fairly obvious that those crew members won't be locals - if restaurants and hotels can't get staff then cruise ships certainly won't be able to. And if they did snaffle local crew the hotel and restaurant industry would be up in arms!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

What we don't know yet is what happens if a positive vaccinated person, who presumably has a weakened viral load, infects an unvaccinated person.

Recently two vaccinated people tested positive on arrival in Aust.  It is known that some vaccinated people can still catch the virus, but won't be as ill. 

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Recently two vaccinated people tested positive on arrival in Aust.  It is known that some vaccinated people can still catch the virus, but won't be as ill. 

I think the question in my mind is will a fully vaccinated person show a positive test but have a viral load so low they can't transmit to others? This is what I am hoping we can find out and I know is a large ongoing study.

I have read of a few cases i.e. a Hawaiin couple fully vaccinated went to mainland USA for a month holiday and on return to Hawaii had a positive. Contact tracing with all their friends and family showed no transmission. 

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I think the question in my mind is will a fully vaccinated person show a positive test but have a viral load so low they can't transmit to others? This is what I am hoping we can find out and I know is a large ongoing study.

I have read of a few cases i.e. a Hawaiin couple fully vaccinated went to mainland USA for a month holiday and on return to Hawaii had a positive. Contact tracing with all their friends and family showed no transmission. 

Yes, that's what I was getting at with my comment earlier. 

Did they say whether the friends and family of that Hawaiian couple were also vaccinated? If not then that is a very promising sign.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that's what I was getting at with my comment earlier. 

Did they say whether the friends and family of that Hawaiian couple were also vaccinated? If not then that is a very promising sign.

I agree with you there are some promising signs re vaccination. There was no mention of close contacts were vaccinated but this was a couple of months ago so I suspect a few contacts wouldn't have been vaccinated. The couple from Hawaii were front line health workers so vaccinated early.

I was wondering if the positive vaccinated airport worker in New Zealand showed transmission to close contacts? I can't remember.

Well, I guess this will make your research a little more difficult:

Federal health authorities are not keeping any records of how many Australians returning from overseas have been vaccinated and whether they develop COVID-19, despite the government saying it wants to shift to a home quarantine for the fully jabbed at some point.

Some states, included NSW, have begun collating the data on their own accord, despite having not being directed from their federal counterparts.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/federal-health-not-asking-for-vaccination-status-of-returning-australians-20210602-p57xkk.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Federal health authorities are not keeping any records of how many Australians returning from overseas have been vaccinated and whether they develop COVID-19, despite the government saying it wants to shift to a home quarantine for the fully jabbed at some point.

Some states, included NSW, have begun collating the data on their own accord, despite having not being directed from their federal counterparts.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/federal-health-not-asking-for-vaccination-status-of-returning-australians-20210602-p57xkk.html

Sigh 😟. I think this information is important both who is vaccinated and what vaccine they received. Having this data contributes to our ongoing learning of how to handle this pandemic and for any future global health issues. Well done NSW for doing their part to get better knowledge.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

What the *%&^$# are our Federal government doing? They are totally incompetent! 🤬🤬🤬

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

What the *%&^$# are our Federal government doing? They are totally incompetent! 🤬🤬🤬

As Gough Whitlam said...'Time for a Change.' I could not stand that man. Bring back the best PM we ever had, Johnny Howard !!

• Like 1