Where is Mardi Gras?

Goplayball

2 hours ago, Goplayball said:

Looking at July cruises. Very few cruises listed. I don't even see the Mardi Gras? Anyone know why? 

Bookings on the Carnival website could be taken down when they hit a certain threshold due to the possibility that ships could have a capacity limit of whatever percentage when cruising resumes. July will likely be cancelled but even if it sails it may only be 50-60% percent capacity whatever number they decide on just to start.

I wonder how they're going to decide who stays and who gets the boot on sailings that people have been booked on for a long time already. I was booked for last Thanksgiving since late 2019, then rebooked for the week after Thanksgiving this year... Hopefully, by then, it's actually going to sail...

Just now, sid_9169 said:

I wonder how they're going to decide who stays and who gets the boot on sailings that people have been booked on for a long time already. I was booked for last Thanksgiving since late 2019, then rebooked for the week after Thanksgiving this year... Hopefully, by then, it's actually going to sail...

If they have to do involuntary boots, it is not going to be a pretty situation. There will be no real fair way for it to happen. For me, we only have about 5 weeks we can vacation as a family. There is limited vacation places that are affordable by the time they cancel cruises. Inside say 45-days, it would be near impossible to plan an affordable different vacation. Then, the cruise line would be responsible for compensation for airfare, hotel bookings, etc for involuntary boots. Then comes a legal obligation in the contract. I know there is wording in it, but there is nothing in it to my knowledge choosing Family 1 vs Family 2. Then, what about a group of 8 cabins and 3 get booted or giving priority to those people over people with a single cabin. 

I think the only fair method is booking date. The ones booked earliest are the ones that get to remain. You can argue that with people that had cruises canceled and then had to book something else. It will be costly to the cruise lines to involuntarily boot passengers.

22 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

If they have to do involuntary boots, it is not going to be a pretty situation. There will be no real fair way for it to happen. For me, we only have about 5 weeks we can vacation as a family. There is limited vacation places that are affordable by the time they cancel cruises. Inside say 45-days, it would be near impossible to plan an affordable different vacation. Then, the cruise line would be responsible for compensation for airfare, hotel bookings, etc for involuntary boots. Then comes a legal obligation in the contract. I know there is wording in it, but there is nothing in it to my knowledge choosing Family 1 vs Family 2. Then, what about a group of 8 cabins and 3 get booted or giving priority to those people over people with a single cabin. 

I think the only fair method is booking date. The ones booked earliest are the ones that get to remain. You can argue that with people that had cruises canceled and then had to book something else. It will be costly to the cruise lines to involuntarily boot passengers.

This is probably the most logical and fair method to engage all of us. It's the basic "First Come First Served" Theory. Trust me I am praying that Carnival does not have to debate over this type of circumstance. Each of us certainly deserves a chance to get back on the water ASAP.  I have the faith and confidence that Carnival will work it out where we are all very satisfied. 

Remember the Biblical Story of Job and the patience and faith that he attained. We need to garner those identical traits as we patiently wait. 

42 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Well, say they finally pick a start date and those ships are already fully booked. They could start in the Florida ports and sail at 50% capacity. Everybody could cruise if they split them into 2 ships of the same size/class. It's doubtful but could work if everyone wanted to cruise bad enough.

I wonder what the capacity needs to be for Carnival to make enough money to start? I haven't heard anything about the capacity percentages being allowed on the cruises in other countries or the ships that are starting from new home ports outside the U.S.?

6 minutes ago, mondello said:

Well, say they finally pick a start date and those ships are already fully booked. They could start in the Florida ports and sail at 50% capacity. Everybody could cruise if they split them into 2 ships of the same size/class. It's doubtful but could work if everyone wanted to cruise bad enough.

Unfortunately, there's only one ship in the same class as the Mardi Gras, until the Celebration comes out... 

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Most likely they would offer currently booked passengers a choice to voluntarily rebook.  Maybe with an incentive similar to that offered to cancelled cruises.  Chances are this will bring the booking level below the threshold so they will not have to bump people involuntarily.

We are currently booked for the 7/31 Mardis Gras sailing and are not planning on going if it does sail so that will open 4 spots for others... you are welcome 😉

Edited by iria64

3 hours ago, mondello said:

I wonder what the capacity needs to be for Carnival to make enough money to start? I haven't heard anything about the capacity percentages being allowed on the cruises in other countries or the ships that are starting from new home ports outside the U.S.?

Their focus may not be on money. They will probably be more focused on passenger safety, avoiding a quarantine, regaining passenger loyalty and getting back to port without incident.

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

Their focus may not be on money. They will probably be more focused on passenger safety, avoiding a quarantine, regaining passenger loyalty and getting back to port without incident.

20-25 ships at 100% capacity would cover the entire 85 ship fleets operating costs

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24733-carnival-corp-25-ships-operating-could-cover-pause-costs-for-fleet.html

Obviously Mardi Gras coming into service even at 50% would be a huge contributor.

3 minutes ago, tidecat said:

20-25 ships at 100% capacity would cover the entire 85 ship fleets operating costs

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24733-carnival-corp-25-ships-operating-could-cover-pause-costs-for-fleet.html

Obviously Mardi Gras coming into service even at 50% would be a huge contributor.

4 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Trust me when we begin cruising again they will not have a revenue issue. There are Cruise Nuts ready to swim to the Ports if necessary to get on board. Their main issue will be logistical in nature. How to fit many "Cruise Starved" passengers on the ships. The money will not be an issue; Not by a long shot. 

17 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Unfortunately, there's only one ship in the same class as the Mardi Gras, until the Celebration comes out... 

I haven't seen any plan from Carnival or the CDC. Starting small would be to their advantage in trying to contain any problems. Splitting the guests onto 2 ships shouldn't be necessary if they have been anticipating resuming cruising with a lower capacity for social distancing.

Say the vaccination does great through May and beyond with new cases plummeting. They could continue to cancel July and even August. In the meantime they could request CDC approval to resume a limited number of cruises with whatever conditions they can agree on. This could allow them to restart prior to the Nov 1/CSO. This could give them a chance to show that Carnival can safely resume cruises. Carnival seems to be sitting in a wait and see  pattern, cancelling from month to month until conditions improve. I'm sure they have plans for a course of action as soon as the numbers hit certain targets. You have to consider their willingness to resume cruising under conditions agreeable to both Carnival and the CDC. Any restrictions would need to be considered for cost and duration. Many factors in play but I'd imagine they would have to agree on what length of time and what conditions need to be met to lift any temporary restrictions. It is very possible Carnival is willing to wait through summer, fall and beyond if they don't want the CDC to dictate the terms of any restart.

4 hours ago, mondello said:

I haven't seen any plan from Carnival or the CDC. Starting small would be to their advantage in trying to contain any problems. Splitting the guests onto 2 ships shouldn't be necessary if they have been anticipating resuming cruising with a lower capacity for social distancing.

Say the vaccination does great through May and beyond with new cases plummeting. They could continue to cancel July and even August. In the meantime they could request CDC approval to resume a limited number of cruises with whatever conditions they can agree on. This could allow them to restart prior to the Nov 1/CSO. This could give them a chance to show that Carnival can safely resume cruises. Carnival seems to be sitting in a wait and see  pattern, cancelling from month to month until conditions improve. I'm sure they have plans for a course of action as soon as the numbers hit certain targets. You have to consider their willingness to resume cruising under conditions agreeable to both Carnival and the CDC. Any restrictions would need to be considered for cost and duration. Many factors in play but I'd imagine they would have to agree on what length of time and what conditions need to be met to lift any temporary restrictions. It is very possible Carnival is willing to wait through summer, fall and beyond if they don't want the CDC to dictate the terms of any restart.

It seems to me that CCL is more willing to cancel cruises and wait for more of a return to normal than other lines.

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It seems to me that CCL is more willing to cancel cruises and wait for more of a return to normal than other lines.

I think so, too. The social distancing just doesn't work on a crowded cruise ship. Make them lower capacity and they might just say it ain't worth it.

Edited by mondello
Correction

1 minute ago, mondello said:

I think so, too. The social distancing just doesn't work on a crowded cruise ship. Make them lower capacity and they might just say it ain't worth.

Let's be honest here, Carnival employees rarely enforce the towels on deck chairs and shorts for elegant night rules (remember when that was the biggest points of discussion on this board? how times have changed). I doubt they're interested in trying to enforce social distancing and masks onboard.

I think they'll just wait for whenever they can allow ships to sail full like normal again. Enhanced cleaning, ventilation, etc., sure - but none of the mask police or vaccine registry (the CEO has already said he's not interested in requiring guests prove vaccine status). The question is - when will that day come and can they continue to cancel month by month until then.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Let's be honest here, Carnival employees rarely enforce the towels on deck chairs and shorts for elegant night rules (remember when that was the biggest points of discussion on this board? how times have changed). I doubt they're interested in trying to enforce social distancing and masks onboard.

I think they'll just wait for whenever they can allow ships to sail full like normal again. Enhanced cleaning, ventilation, etc., sure - but none of the mask police or vaccine registry (the CEO has already said he's not interested in requiring guests prove vaccine status). The question is - when will that day come and can they continue to cancel month by month until then.

That is exactly why they stockpiled enough cash and credit to get through up to 18 months. They already had problems pre-Covid, people seem more confrontational now.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 12:37 PM, iria64 said:Most likely they would offer currently booked passengers a choice to voluntarily rebook.  Maybe with an incentive similar to that offered to cancelled cruises.  Chances are this will bring the booking level below the threshold so they will not have to bump people involuntarily.

We are currently booked for the 7/31 Mardis Gras sailing and are not planning on going if it does sail so that will open 4 spots for others... you are welcome 😉

May I ask why you are not going even if Marie Gras sails?  We are booked on the July 10 sailing and will definitely go if the ship goes. 

again, if she sails in August... September...then I will pay off the winter break trip. so just watching the calendar. 

on the bright side- I just got tickets to see a real live concert this summer.  we sit in pods of 4. REO Speedwagon. So some normalcy is back...

• Like 1