Celebrity deposits - refundable or not?

Sorry if this has been covered before.  I can't find info on what happens if Celebrity cancels a cruise if you don't pay extra for a refundable deposit?  In our case, the 'usual' deposit is AU$400 per passenger.  Our cruise last year was cancelled by Celebrity prior to final payment and we received the deposit back in full.  Is that still the case?  Or do you lose the Non Refundable Deposit even if Celebrity cancels the cruise prior to final payment?

We don't feel like paying out even $400 each on a cruise that may well not happen, if it's cancelled by Celebrity and we don't get refunded.  From what I can make out from our confusing X invoice is we would have to pay an extra $829 per person for a fully refundable deposit.  That isn't going to happen either!

The Cancellation Schedule reads:

Days Prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Amount Date

151 or more days No Charge (except for Non-Refundable Deposit amounts)

Our TA is trying to get an answer from X, I tried to call X yesterday but hung up after waiting 30 mins.  We have to pay a deposit in the next 24 hours to confirm the booking or we'll lose it.  All staterooms in our category are fully booked and not taking on any more w/l or GTY reservations.

Thank you in advance!

3 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Sorry if this has been covered before.  I can't find info on what happens if Celebrity cancels a cruise if you don't pay extra for a refundable deposit?  In our case, the 'usual' deposit is AU$400 per passenger.  Our cruise last year was cancelled by Celebrity prior to final payment and we received the deposit back in full.  Is that still the case?  Or do you lose the Non Refundable Deposit even if Celebrity cancels the cruise prior to final payment?

We don't feel like paying out even $400 each on a cruise that may well not happen, if it's cancelled by Celebrity and we don't get refunded.  From what I can make out from our confusing X invoice is we would have to pay an extra $829 per person for a fully refundable deposit.  That isn't going to happen either!

The Cancellation Schedule reads:

Days Prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Amount Date

151 or more days  No Charge (except for Non-Refundable Deposit amounts)

Our TA is trying to get an answer from X, I tried to call X yesterday but hung up after waiting 30 mins.  We have to pay a deposit in the next 24 hours to confirm the booking or we'll lose it.  All staterooms in our category are fully booked and not taking on any more w/l or GTY reservations.

Thank you in advance!

I wouldn't rush in to pay a deposit until you are in writing that Celebrity will refund your deposit if they cancel the cruise.  Also check whether TA has extra charges for cancellation. 

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I wouldn't rush in to pay a deposit until you are in writing that Celebrity will refund your deposit if they cancel the cruise.  Also check whether TA has extra charges for cancellation. 

Exactly, am waiting for something in writing from Celebrity.  Will post when this is sorted out.

8 minutes ago, finchy1950 said:

The way I read it is if they cancel you will receive a full refund of the deposit in the form of a FCC not cash.

I just made a dummy booking and this is what is on their website during booking process.  They do not specify whether these conditions apply only if the passenger cancels, or also if Celebrity cancel:

"Non-Refundable Deposit: To qualify for the lowest available cruise fare, guest must choose a non-refundable deposit. Non-refundable deposit bookings (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit (“FCC”) in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. This FCC is non-transferable and expires 12-months from the issue date. In addition to canceled NRDB, $100 per person service fee also applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date. NRDB are applicable to groups at prevailing rates. Not applicable to incentive, contract, or charter groups. Nonrefundable deposit offers are applicable to sailings within final payment, however full deposit is due at time of booking. Visit www.celebritycruises.com/au or celebritycruises.com/nz for additional terms and conditions."

PLUS this - again they don't make it clear whether this is only if the passenger cancels, or if Celebrity cancel the cruise (or am I not reading it correctly?):

• Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings: If canceled outside of penalty, the full deposit amount will be returned (without penalty) in the form of an FCC. If canceled within any phase of penalty, the cruise fare including full deposit (without penalty) will be issued as an FCC.

41 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

I just made a dummy booking and this is what is on their website during booking process.  They do not specify whether these conditions apply only if the passenger cancels, or also if Celebrity cancel:

"Non-Refundable Deposit: To qualify for the lowest available cruise fare, guest must choose a non-refundable deposit. Non-refundable deposit bookings (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit (“FCC”) in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. This FCC is non-transferable and expires 12-months from the issue date. In addition to canceled NRDB, $100 per person service fee also applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date. NRDB are applicable to groups at prevailing rates. Not applicable to incentive, contract, or charter groups. Nonrefundable deposit offers are applicable to sailings within final payment, however full deposit is due at time of booking. Visit www.celebritycruises.com/au or celebritycruises.com/nz for additional terms and conditions."

PLUS this - again they don't make it clear whether this is only if the passenger cancels, or if Celebrity cancel the cruise (or am I not reading it correctly?):

• Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings: If canceled outside of penalty, the full deposit amount will be returned (without penalty) in the form of an FCC. If canceled within any phase of penalty, the cruise fare including full deposit (without penalty) will be issued as an FCC.

Doesn't sound like $$ return if cruise is cancelled, just FCC.  Plus $100 per person service fee.  What are the conditions for Refundable Deposit Bookings?  

Message from TA:

"I have spoken with Otto on their Central Guatemalean phone line

The deposit is NON REFUNDABLE for normal conditions

If however Celebrity does not get to come down under to sail the money would be given choice of

Refund

Or a Future Cruise Credit with bonus"

So we're happy to pay the deposit now.  It's December this year.....who knows, we may be lucky and sail. 

33 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Message from TA:

If however Celebrity does not get to come down under to sail the money would be given choice of

Refund

So we're happy to pay the deposit now.  It's December this year.....who knows, we may be lucky and sail. 

Good Luck!

On 4/22/2021 at 10:43 PM, cruisingaussies said:

Message from TA:

Refund

I really hope this cruise goes for you because if it does that means Eclipse is in OZ and our January cruise will be a go😉

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 3:43 PM, cruisingaussies said:

Message from TA:

Refund

'If however Celebrity does not get to come down under to sail etc"... I do not like those words at all.

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I really hope this cruise goes for you because if it does that means Eclipse is in OZ and our January cruise will be a go😉

Well, not sure it will go but thought we'd take a chance.  We do have a 'travel bubble' with New Zealand at the moment, let's hope  it continues and cruises Oz/NZ will be able to form part of it.  I expect a lot hinges on whether X can continue on after the Oz season, through Asia and on to Europe.  Then it may be worthwhile to start up the ship.

NB:  This is pure speculation on my part though!! 

13 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

No-one knows at the moment.  We live in hope 🤞

Correct we hope the cruise ship armada appears over the horizon towards the end of this year.