Transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia and lodging

dpepper64

We will be cruising on the NCL Getaway from Civitavecchia starting on September 13, 2021.   We're flying into Rome the day before.  What is the best way (with considerable luggage) to get from Rome to Civitavecchia?   Any recommendations on hotels in Civitavecchia?

Stay in Rome rather than Civitavecchia. The hotels there are rather sad and you can see some of Rome (or some more of Rome) if you stay there. Getting to the port on the day of sailing is really no problem as there are a number of options for private or shared transportation and the journey is only ~90 minutes.

Definitely stay in Rome as opposed to Civi.  We are booked on NCL Epic from Rome in late September and are getting into Rome 2 days before sailing to enjoy the eternal city, staying at a small hotel a few blocks from the Pantheon.  Train service to the port is economical and reliable, so that's how we are getting there.

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying in the Hotel Nazionale in the Pantheon area for six days, then going down to Civi the day before.

Prior to that we are staying two nights in Orvieto and a week in Perugia to see Umbria.  Can't wait.

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Prior to that we are staying two nights in Orvieto and a week in Perugia to see Umbria.

I spent a week in Umbria about three years ago and just loved it. I was based in Assisi, I wondered whether that was a good choice given the many pilgrims year-round but I ended up loving it (and it's particularly nice in the evenings after all the day-trippers leave).

What points in Perugia are you going to visit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I spent a week in Umbria about three years ago and just loved it. I was based in Assisi, I wondered whether that was a good choice given the many pilgrims year-round but I ended up loving it (and it's particularly nice in the evenings after all the day-trippers leave).

What points in Perugia are you going to visit?

I know there is a famous Basilica there.  I need to start researching what I plan to see.  Assisi is number 1 on the list to do after we explore Perugia.  Right now, we will likely visit Spoleto and Spello as well.  There may be a vineyard nearby that we can visit?  We were planning taking the train, but I understand in some cases there are busses that might be more convenient.  What did you do for transportation?  Any special places not to miss?

46 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I know there is a famous Basilica there.  I need to start researching what I plan to see.  Assisi is number 1 on the list to do after we explore Perugia.  Right now, we will likely visit Spoleto and Spello as well.  There may be a vineyard nearby that we can visit?  We were planning taking the train, but I understand in some cases there are busses that might be more convenient.  What did you do for transportation?  Any special places not to miss?

I did find it fairly easy to get around by train and local bus, but on a couple of days I arranged with a local taxi driver to take me to 2-3 sites more off the beaten track. It wasn't terribly expensive, perhaps owing to the fact that I was there out of season (end of October).

Glad to hear you plan to take in Spello -- it's a very nice town in itself with a number of Roman traces, and easy by train from Perugia, I'd think. Don't miss the Roman villa with acres of floor mosaics -- it's covered by a well-designed museum that had just opened when I was there. 

https://www.italymagazine.com/news/exceptional-roman-villa-mosaics-spello-umbria-opens-public

Another place to consider is Amelia, another pretty, somewhat sleepy mainly medieval town that just happens to be home to a spectacular bronze statue of Drusus Germanicus (nephew and adopted son of Tiberius, father of Caligula) that wasn't found until 1969 and had to be pieced together out of a million bits. The museum makes a big song and dance of it (including a mini sound-and-light show) but it's well worth seeing it.  

http://www.turismoamelia.it/ita/6/musei/?ss=4&lang=eng#:~:text=The bronze statue of Germanicus,of ships and an altar.

Lake Trasimeno is worth a visit (make sure it's a nice day), even though there is little left there to indicate the stunning defeat of the Romans at the hands of Hannibal that took place there. Take the ferry to Isola Maggiore and wander there and have a nice long lunch.

• Like 1

I did find it fairly easy to get around by train and local bus, but on a couple of days I arranged with a local taxi driver to take me to 2-3 sites more off the beaten track. It wasn't terribly expensive, perhaps owing to the fact that I was there out of season (end of October).

Glad to hear you plan to take in Spello -- it's a very nice town in itself with a number of Roman traces, and easy by train from Perugia, I'd think. Don't miss the Roman villa with acres of floor mosaics -- it's covered by a well-designed museum that had just opened when I was there. 

https://www.italymagazine.com/news/exceptional-roman-villa-mosaics-spello-umbria-opens-public

Another place to consider is Amelia, another pretty, somewhat sleepy mainly medieval town that just happens to be home to a spectacular bronze statue of Drusus Germanicus (nephew and adopted son of Tiberius, father of Caligula) that wasn't found until 1969 and had to be pieced together out of a million bits. The museum makes a big song and dance of it (including a mini sound-and-light show) but it's well worth seeing it.  

http://www.turismoamelia.it/ita/6/musei/?ss=4&lang=eng#:~:text=The bronze statue of Germanicus,of ships and an altar.

Lake Trasimeno is worth a visit (make sure it's a nice day), even though there is little left there to indicate the stunning defeat of the Romans at the hands of Hannibal that took place there. Take the ferry to Isola Maggiore and wander there and have a nice long lunch.

cruisemom,

Thanks for the great tips.  We were also looking at visiting  Gubbio and perhaps Todi if we have time.

I have an old guidebook on Italy and it still has good tips on things to do in Umbria.  I will take a look at Amelia.  I thought about going to Lake Trasimeno for its historical value.  Wasn't it where the famous aqueduct to Rome, built under Claudius started?  I think we can use guidebooks and the internet to plan our touring without paying for guides or tours.

George

Enjoying this thread as its a nice respite from all the COVID stuff.  When I saw the mention of Todi I asked my wife, "what do you remember about Todi" to which the quick response was "nothing."   We visited Todi while on one of our driving trips in the region and other then the Duomo (as the Brits say "ABC" or Another Bloody Church).  Umbria is a great region for driving and visiting many of the smaller towns.  We agree with Cruisemom about Assisi which is a delightful small city which can be used as a base or for at least a half day visit.   We would be happy using either Perugia or Assisi for a base and the choice would come down to our usual in home debate of whether we want to be a smaller cute city (Assisi) or a larger city with more restaurant options.  Just keep in mind that, assuming you are going to have a car, Perugia has all the usual larger town parking issues so having a hotel or B&B with included off the street parking is helpful.  

Hank

Ooh,  Italy!  We stayed near Gubbio,  great ceramics too.   We visited Todi too and remember a cute  hill town and more ceramics!  
We also recommend Norcia,  amazing flat town famous for its cured meats, but we were there before  the earthquake.    We also enjoyed Cortona,  and don’t miss Orvieto, it also makes a good base.  

We also really enjoyed Citta Del Pieve,  truly amazing art in the duomo and the best Cacio di Pepe!  

Grab a Michelin Green guide,  as it will identify some of the small gems.  

We prefer the freedom of a car, and will pick it up in a smaller Center we reach by train.  

Norcia 

1883CA0C-603F-404A-891E-F437E85A7869.jpeg

BD29EE3A-0620-4204-A32D-19F5FE853881.jpeg

Citta del Pieve

407427E0-6E06-40A6-87B4-51343C5FCAA1.jpeg

C3B62268-531A-4B89-A297-65A3E86EDC57.jpeg

BA11C7F0-189B-4A14-8039-7A1F5DDEEC1A.jpeg

BBEF97E0-01FB-480D-9D15-8C5FAD6EA8A0.jpeg

1D819E14-6212-4BD5-8438-5F79DD4DE3AA.jpeg

Edited by bennybear

I have not been in Rome for a  decade-so take this  word of caution re: taking taxis from Rome to the airport with a grain of salt.  The last time we were there, the taxi driver did not take a credit card.  No problem-I had cash.  But when we got to the airport and I handed the driver 100 E for the 50 E fare, he told me he did not have any change.  There was no winning that one because we had a plane to catch. We ended up paying nearly double for our taxi ride.   As I said, this was  a decade ago, and maybe (hopefully) all Rome taxis take credit cards now, but that was an expensive lesson.  Moral of the story-check before you hop in.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is a train by TrenItalia from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia. If you travel in group it is better to book private transfer with minivan. Here is one we used last time to get from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino Airport https://transferairport24.com/rome-fiumicino-ciampino-to-city    Till the end of April there were a restriction for passengers in on vehicle even for taxi and transfer companies but now there are no restrictions (especially from 2 of june when Italy opens all borders)... Have a nice Cruise )

• 2 weeks later...

I made a reservation with NCC Airport transfer from hotel to port. I tried emailing them today to arrange pickup from airport to hotel and the email came back. I don't know if they are still in business. Does anyone know?

39 349 31 48 499 is their phone number if anyone is in Italy and can call.

Thank you

On 6/4/2021 at 11:24 PM, floridababa said:

I made a reservation with NCC Airport transfer from hotel to port. I tried emailing them today to arrange pickup from airport to hotel and the email came back. I don't know if they are still in business. Does anyone know?

39 349 31 48 499 is their phone number if anyone is in Italy and can call.

Thank you

Can you check if they have a Facebook page?  Or look at their current website and see if they've changed their email address?

You can call Italy from the US also, if you are very concerned. Just remember the time difference.

Can you check if they have a Facebook page?  Or look at their current website and see if they've changed their email address?

You can call Italy from the US also, if you are very concerned. Just remember the time difference.

Skype calling from US to Europe is incredibly cheap [I mean a few pennies per call]

I will admit to never having heard or dealt with this company (we use Romecabs) but their web site sure seems to be current.  If you e-mailed them on a Friday, given the time difference they may have simply closed and are out of the office until Monday afternoon (many Italian companies do not work Monday mornings).  So you might want to give them until Tuesday and if you still do not hear try again.  Otherwise, if you want to try somebody else there is Romecabs.com and Romeinlimo.com...both companies which have had many positive comments over many years here on CC.

Hank