Using FCC for deposit?

Albinroo

I am interested in booking N Statendam from Rome 9 days Mediterranean at the end of October 2021. I have almost enough fccs to cover the deposit, do you know if I can use it or if I have to pay actual money for the deposit? I really don't want to have even more cash tied up in FCCs if I can avoid it, but hopefully by the end of October cruises should be up and running as normal again. Especially since I am already in EU and will have the vaccine passport. 

By the way, shouldn't the FCC deadline be moved forward? End of 2022 is coming up fairly soon!! 

US has not  yet yet  decided  or annnounced if we will get vaccine pssports  .  maybe only some countries willgo   that  route ?.  Some   peop e   here object to them.

2 hours ago, Albinroo said:

We had a NZ-Oz trip that we should have been on right now now canceled last November, and received a message from HAL that said in part "IF YOUR BOOKING HAS BEEN PAID IN FULL, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid. These credits may be applied to the cruise fare of a new booking. IF YOUR BOOKING HAS NOT BEEN PAID IN FULL, you will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit. This credit will waive the required deposit on your next booking on a voyage up to 29 days in length." (emphasis added) This seems very ambiguous to me, and I've always understood that the FCC can't be used for a deposit (which, I must say, makes me angry, since HAL rolled $1200 FCD  (4×$300) into the FCC for several canceled trips, so we had to come up with more deposits. Argh!)

Good luck! 

4 hours ago, sail7seas said:

US has not  yet yet  decided  or annnounced if we will get vaccine pssports  .  maybe only some countries willgo   that  route ?.  Some   peop e   here object to them.

I'm in Europe where it is certain we will get vaccine passports in June. I can see why some might object but here it's the reality so might as well use it to travel in Europe once it's possible.

Seems like somewhat conflicting answers that unfortunately leans toward fcc not being allowed to use for deposit. Ah well, hopefully I can hold out on booking until it seems more certain that the cruise will actually sail! Mediterranean in Oct/Nov shouldn't be too crowded...perhaps the prices will even come down. Thanks all!

My current booking is held with only an FCC, that is I haven't paid them a single cent since April 2019.  I do see that the policy has changed but that makes no sense.  I would call and get it done.  I cannot imagine what the rationale is for that change of policy.  Here is the link

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/impacted-cruises.html

Edited by Mary229

I did not have to pay a deposit when I booked my NA for December.  I had 3 FCCs to apply; all were from paid-in-full bookings.

I have had to put down new deposits on several Carnival re-bookings but not all, and none of the FCCs were from paid-in-full bookings.  There's not a lot of consistency out there.  I think it just depended on who my TA was talking to when rebooking and how hard she pushed to have the new deposit requirement waived.  She's a top seller with them and seems to get things done that other's can't, so there's that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Albinroo said:

Seems like somewhat conflicting answers that unfortunately leans toward fcc not being allowed to use for deposit. Ah well, hopefully I can hold out on booking until it seems more certain that the cruise will actually sail! Mediterranean in Oct/Nov shouldn't be too crowded...perhaps the prices will even come down. Thanks all!

I have used FCC as payment of deposit in Europe.  

Do you still have the email you received with the cancellation notice?  It mentions the terms

Edited by VMax1700
  • Thanks 1

Here are the terms and conditions for the FCC's I received for a cancelled cruise.  The cancellation was received in June 2020.

FCC #1 is the amount of the deposit we paid for our cancelled cruise.

FCC#2 is the bonus amount.

So, looking at T&C 3 - the main FCC can be used as a deposit, but not the bonus FCC.

Terms & Conditions Future Cruise Credit:

1.      Future Cruise Credit is personal and non-transferable.

2.      Future Cruise Credit is only applicable on new bookings.

3.      Future Cruise Credit does not substitute a deposit payment. Exception: FCC#1 issued for bookings not paid in full will waive the deposit requirements on the new booking.

4.      The value of the Future Cruise Credit can be applied to the cruise-only fare portion of the cruise and / or Land + Sea Journey and can be combined with any other discount.

Note: The FCC's value is based on the following scenarios: Booking NOT paid in full (e.g. deposit only): The FCC #1 value is 100% of the deposit paid and received by Holland America Line. The FCC #2 extra value is an amount to equal to the deposit unless deposit is less than €100.  Minimum amount of FCC #2 extra value is €100. Maximum FCC (#1 + #2) is equal to the cruise-fare* amount of the original booking. Booking PAID IN FULL: The FCC #1 paid amount is 100% of the cruise-only fare* paid and received by Holland America Line PLUS an additional value of 25% (FCC #2 extra value) of this amount. No rights can be derived from this.

5.      The Future Cruise Credit must be applied on a new booking within one year of issuance. The voyage does not have to depart before or on this date but no later than 31 December 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1