Florida Ports to Offer Vaccination to Ship Crew

logan25

3 minutes ago, roger001 said:

And actually, in this situation, that's a good thing for all of us.  You legal status doesn't influence the virus. It doesn't care who you are.   The more folks that get vaccinated, the better off we all are.  

Then why are posters objecting to vaccinating ship crew?  Just asking.

This was never going to be a major problem---too much at stake not to get this done in orderly manor. Its not uncommon to set up a vaccination site and knock out 2,000 vaccinations over a short time period. But its another step in the right direction which will soon be checked off the list

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stallion said:

If crew are covered by insurance, the government gets reimbursed

I don't think that's correct, based on how things are operating at the moment.  Private entities (e.g., pharmacies) that are doing vaccinations may ask people for insurance, and that's to cover their costs to administer the vaccine, but not the vaccine itself.  The federal government is providing the vaccine at no cost. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I don't think that's correct, based on how things are operating at the moment.  Private entities (e.g., pharmacies) that are doing vaccinations may ask people for insurance, and that's to cover their costs to administer the vaccine, but not the vaccine itself.  The federal government is providing the vaccine at no cost. 

You are correct.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stallion said:

If crew are covered by insurance, the government gets reimbursed

How many crew from the Philippines, Indonesia, and India do you think are covered by health insurance?  And, the government is going to go to any insurance plan in those countries to get reimbursement?

• Like 4

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The US Taxpayers since the U.S. Government is paying for the vaccines. 

The economies of the port communities and The U.S. generally will greatly benefit from a resumption of cruising so I’m good with that. 💉🚢😀

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stallion said:

This was never going to be a major problem---too much at stake not to get this done in orderly manor. Its not uncommon to set up a vaccination site and knock out 2,000 vaccinations over a short time period. But its another step in the right direction which will soon be checked off the list

Bet some reporter, or even 60 minutes, is going to run with this: crew being vaccinated, while millions suffer in India, elsewhere.

Why is this an issue?  Our tax dollars pay for billions of dollars of aid to countries, some who aren’t even allies.  Anyone who thinks illegals are turned around at the southern border needs to take a trip there and get their eyes opened.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the cruise lines pay anyways, but right now we have more supply than there is demand and are shipping it away for free to other countries regardless.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, B Midged said:

I wonder who is paying for it.

I'm sure the Cruise Lines will offer to pay. Not to do so would be pure insanity.

The question I always had is how could a private company EVEN acquire vaccine when sovereign states (India in the news) don't have a full supply.

The US is shipping material to India so they can make the vaccinations.  How about the reporter go out and report on why we have so much unused product.  That would be a better story.

1 minute ago, Shidah said:

The US is shipping material to India so they can make the vaccinations.  How about the reporter go out and report on why we have so much unused product.  That would be a better story.

I'm with ya brother, but you're using logic. The media don't work that way - all emotion.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shidah said:

The USA is sending precursors for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to India. Since this vaccine isn't approved in the USA and is unlikely to receive emergency use waivers due to supplies of other vaccines meeting current capacity, this seems like the right thing to do.

The USA has millions of doses of the OX-AZ vaccine itself in storage. I know some of this has also been released recently but the USA has no reason to stockpile this vaccine. Our neighbors to the north who have approved this vaccine can use these doses now.

• Like 2

Paul, yes that was what I was referring to.  I’m just shocked that people are implying that ship’s crew should not be vaccinated due to conditions halfway across the globe.  It is almost like some people are looking for any reason possible to delay cruising.  There was an article where the mayor of Key West called cruisers the “lowest common denominator” for tourism dollars in trying to keep large ships away.  I’m just surprised I guess at the pushback.  

7 hours ago, Shidah said:

Why is this an issue?  Our tax dollars pay for billions of dollars of aid to countries, some who aren’t even allies.  Anyone who thinks illegals are turned around at the southern border needs to take a trip there and get their eyes opened.  

I'm all for cruise crew getting vaccinated as it's in our best interest to get the world vaccinated.

Wow!  Do you live in Texas?  I've read social media antidotes they're letting them in across the border there.  Here in AZ and New Mexico they are working the border aggressively.  Some of my ex-coworkers who are currently working the border area tell me they are very busy and are working long hours.     

I do not, but my employer has a location there.  There are some groups that have started documenting some of the recent events that are entertaining to watch if nothing else.  A simple search on YouTube should bring you to some of their reports.. 

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

How many crew from the Philippines, Indonesia, and India do you think are covered by health insurance?  And, the government is going to go to any insurance plan in those countries to get reimbursement?

Who cares, vaccines cost even less than what crew earns during a day. The actual cost (probably between $8 and $50) might be comparable to a life vest. The ROI is huge if it allows for a ship to sail. I hope the cruise lines pay for them, and if not it's still good for Florida to have sailing ships, at the same time helping the third world. While it seems as if the world is waiting for vaccines, in the rich part of the world the vaccines are waiting for people willing to get them. Speaking for Holland, not sure about the US: all of a sudden people have become experts and decided they are better of with Pfizer than Astra Zenica like snobs looking at the wine list, leading to massive spillage.  

The ships could also simply buy their own vaccines instead of relying on Florida. It's not as if vaccines are so special that only governments can buy them, and within months the market will probably be similar to the FFP2/KN95 market where the first factories are going bankrupt. Also, at sea I guess you don't need to wait for FDD approval, so every Chinese or Russian vaccine is an option.