Viking Cancellations - what is current offer ?

Mrs Miggins

From what I read on here it looks like our September Norway cruise is about to be cancelled.  If so could someone update me on Viking's policy.  When our Azamara cruises were cancelled we were able to "lift and shift"  ie move to a similar cruise in the future at the same price we booked.  Does anything similar apply to Viking.  When I look at 2022 prices for our cruise there is a significant increase in price.   

Can we move our deposit to another cruise ? Previously I think 125% certificates were available but cannot now find any information on the Viking website.

In the UK the Iceland and Bermuda cruises do not appear on our website. 

I wonder what Venus will be doing from September - presumably more round England cruises ?

Very disappointed but Norway have closed borders currently.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I have not received an email - I cannot see my cruise on the Viking Website - just going by  information here on cruise critic.

Copied and pasted from today’s Viking update on their website. Maybe you should contact your TA or Viking directly:

Guests and their travel advisors on impacted itineraries have been notified directly by Viking Customer Relations.

I have a question about how to apply Viking’s FCC.  If my upcoming South America cruise is cancelled by Viking, can I use the FCC to pay for excursions in a second cruise which is already paid in full (cruise fare portion only)? Furthermore, if later I happen to cancel an excursion of the second cruise, what happens to the FCC that I use to pay for the excursion?  Must I use it all up before I disembark the second cruise?

9 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

I have a question about how to apply Viking’s FCC.  If my upcoming South America cruise is cancelled by Viking, can I use the FCC to pay for excursions in a second cruise which is already paid in full (cruise fare portion only)? Furthermore, if later I happen to cancel an excursion of the second cruise, what happens to the FCC that I use to pay for the excursion?  Must I use it all up before I disembark the second cruise?

Don't know the answer to the first question. I would think you could, but you need to ask Viking. Answer to the second question is all credit must be used before embarkation.

• Thanks 1

I couldn't use all of the refund on our canceled trip let alone the FCC of 25% on the Iceland trip.  And I already have Antartica booked so it wouldn't work with that trip.  In my case it just makes sense to get a refund and just pay for the trip to Iceland.  I would leave a lot of money on the table if I did the FCC.  And I wouldn't get it back....And the answer they gave me on the phone was you can not use the FCC on a cruise that is already booked.  But call your TA to make sure you follow the rules.  The one thing you don't want to do is not use all of your FCC... so it kind of seems to me you will need to book a new cruise to make it work if you go that way.

Also - check your email notice again. I had a cruise cancelled last month. Previous cancellations to this one did not restrict usage to 2021 or 2012. However, this language appeared implying the 125% FCV could be used for an existing cruise:

A Future Cruise Voucher for 125%
We want to support you and protect your travel investment. Therefore, we are offering a 125% Future Cruise Voucher, found at the bottom of this message, which you can use on any 2021 or 2022 Viking voyage.

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Did you do the math to see if it made sense to cancel and rebook Antarctica? 

Good thought, but when I checked the web site the prices have gone up from when we booked Antartica in 2019.   They  had just starting booking Antarctic in 2019.  Also they gave us that silver spirits thing for early sign up which I would think be around $500. for 2 people?   Not a big drinker but would hate to throw it away. It might save a little or maybe not if some of the other prices for insurance have gone up.  Best to leave this one alone but a good thought.

Have now received cancellation letter stating we have option of 125% FCC or cash refund.  However it seems we have to make up our mind if we want a cash refund by 17th May - so not much time to trawl through ocean or river cruises we might be interested in.   This seems strange - so am I correct therefore in saying we would lose our money altogether if we opt for a FCC but cannot subsequently find a cruise that suits us ?

13 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Have now received cancellation letter stating we have option of 125% FCC or cash refund.  However it seems we have to make up our mind if we want a cash refund by 17th May - so not much time to trawl through ocean or river cruises we might be interested in.   This seems strange - so am I correct therefore in saying we would lose our money altogether if we opt for a FCC but cannot subsequently find a cruise that suits us ?

My understanding is you would still have a FCV but lose the 25% extra if you don’t use it for a 2021 or 2022 cruise. I would confirm this with Viking or your TA.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

My understanding is you would still have a FCV but lose the 25% extra if you don’t use it for a 2021 or 2022 cruise. I would confirm this with Viking or your TA.

Yes, you really need to understand the rules for the 25% voucher before you buy into it.  There have been several threads about how they work, but I would call your TA.  You want to make sure that you are able to use it.  And they have several rules on how it works.  Don't be surprised if you try to use it and it won't work.

We received 125% three times. The first time (8/2020) We rebooked the same cruise for 11/2022 with adding an extension and cabin upgrade. The second time (12/2020), we used the credit to pay for a previously booked cruise with an extension upgrade for 4/2023. The third time (4/2021), the policy changed where we had to use it for a cruise in 2021 or 2022. We booked a new more expensive cruise for 9/2022. We did not wish to use it for an existing cruise, so I do not know if we could have. 

Our recommendation:  Make a decision before 5/17. If you want to use 125% for an existing cruise sailing in 2021 or 2022, call immediately and if you can, apply it post haste. We found extensions to be a great way to use extra credit as we do not drink. Our 4/2023 cruise has some credit left that we’re holding for excursions. Worst case, we’ll use it to cover most of our gratuities.

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Our FCC, if unused by the 2-yr expiry date, stated Viking would refund the original payment at that time. However, I suggest reading the Terms & Conditions, as they have changed and they must also comply with the UK's consumer protection laws.