Summit - Transatlantic August 1st

ShipFan13

On 5/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, cruisestitch said:

No one knows what is going to happen with this cruise. It has so many problematic elements. It is still showing a stop in Halifax. Canada won’t allow that. It is too long. The CDC won’t allow that. It ends in the UK. What about quarantine there? Many who are on this cruise, or rather were on this cruise, have already canceled.  Some are holding out, waiting for Celebrity to cancel it in order to get the 125% FCC.  There may be a few passengers who believe that this cruise will happen. It is looking more discouraging every day. If you can book it for a very cheap price, with a completely refundable deposit, go for it. But I don’t think it’s very likely that you will actually be able to take this cruise.

Can't answer anything, except, we docked in Halifax on the Summit back in 2016.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:23 PM, gerelmx said:

In the Summit August 15 Iceland and Greenland roll call, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl posted that the crew was vaccinated at Miami on May 6

That was  probably a hundred or so skelton crew that has been on the vessel. There are many man more that needs to be vaccinated  . Then there is the issue of crew from India who if they are following  Royal leas they won't be called back until the end of May.  Then they  have almost  2 months of quarantined

We were booked on this cruise in 2020, and made the final payment (mostly because we forgot not to and it was automatically charged), then shifted it to 2021. It is getting really annoying that Celebrity isn't updating what is happening with this sailing - primarily because we have to know whether to book flights back from the UK on August 15th, and those get more and more expensive as the date looms (and the refund/cancellation policies on flights aren't as extensive these days, although we'd probably be able to get credit).

At this point we're kinda hoping Celebrity cancels for the 125% FCC, but if it sails we want to go as the 2022 itinerary isn't as good and we can't sail it (my other half is a professor and can't vacation past mid-August). I just want to know.

15 minutes ago, ShipFan13 said:

I called back and the person I spoke to now said it’s still going. I have no idea who I talked to this morning..so confused 

Maybe the first agent travel in time

72 days before the cruise is set to sail..

I was checking the online booking a few days ago and for 3x persons we had 63

cabins available. Today I checked and now its dropped down to 49 cabins.

Should I book? or hold out another week to see if more information comes in?

I don't want to book this if it will get cancelled and I don't want to lose this cruise

by waiting too long if it does go.

Need advice please thanks 

By all rights this should have been canceled already. It is too long for the CDC guidelines, and it goes to the UK, which is currently closed to tourism. And yet it doesn’t get canceled. Yet. I think that’s the operative word. I don’t see any way that this cruise is going to happen. On the other hand, I have been wrong before. Really, no one knows what’s going to happen with the screws all you can do is wait and see. But I think the odds of it selling out as it gets closer to the cruise time are very low. Patience, grasshopper, patience

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the info and help.

Glad to hear about the CDC, dropping the 7 day rule. Only concern would be

having to quarantine in England for 10 days. (I'm fully vaccinated but from what

I can tell its still a Covid test followed by 10 days in a hotel.).

This is pure opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if transatl and transpacif are some of the last cruises to come back. I don't know that CDC will single these out separate from itinerary length, but I do know they are concerned about distance from land and emergency capabilities of the ships. They want to get the CG out of the rescuing Americans from what they see as our own folly business.

Aren't there days during TAs TPs and maybe those Antarctica and Indian Ocean cruises that the ship is out of helicopter range?

We booked this cruise knowing that it is not the most likely to sail.   If they cancel, you should get your money back or a future cruise credit with something extra thrown in.  My best guess, based on past patterns of when cruise cancellation have been posted, is that the decision is coming soon and two or three weeks from now they will notify passengers if they are cancelling.   If you are concerned about missing out, my recommendation is that you book the cruise while cabins are available.   They might need to switch out the Halifax port for a different port.   While it is actually a nice port stop, I don't imagine that will be a deal breaker for too many folks.   For us, if they drop Iceland from the itinerary we will probably cancel, but otherwise are rolling the dice and waiting to find out if this will really happen.

The CDC guidelines are but one hurdle to clear for this cruise.   Every country along the way, plus the destination, have got to give approval for this to go as planned.   Celebrity may be able to make some modifications, but they also may need to wait and see what is happening before making any changes.

I hope this happens and if it does look forward to meeting everyone else who is enthusiastic about a return to cruising.

The Mayor of Bayonne reportedly said cruises will cruise from the Port of Bayonne at 50% capacity in August.   And in canceling the Vision of the Seas home-porting in Bermuda,  the Royal Caribbean announcement said 'we still look forward to visiting the beautiful island nation with several ships across the Royal Caribbean fleet' and 'we continue to work in close partnership with the Ministry of Transport and the Bermuda Tourism Authority towards our common goal of reviving local tourism. ..'   

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

I just checked a very reliable site I use for cabin availability and the cruise is not there.

I just checked a reliable site I use as well, and while both the Aug. 1 and Aug. 15 cruises are showing, once you proceed to cabin selection, you see that nothing can be booked.  All cabins on both cruises show as "waitlisted." 

I understand,  but the four previous to these cruises are. If they fall off the schedule because the clock has run out, it seems possible that the Summit ends up doing Bermuda in August. Should be an easy sell if the Mayor of Bayonne is correct about 50% occupancy.