Bergen question for Viking cruisers

uktog

I know I could ask this on the port of call board but I am really keen to hear from the experience of actual Viking cruisers.

I might be getting a bucket list tick looking for the Northern Lights and we would travel the day before (thanks to the advice here about asking not to fly on the day of the cruise).  Looking at probably flight times we would arrive in Bergen early evening (18.00) but as we have previously had several cruise stops in Bergen thats fine (and indeed would have the morning of the cruise and Day 2 morning to enjoy some sights if we wanted).  Viking use the Radisson for their 2 night pre cruise package.  Whilst it is near the cruise terminal, we "don't do 5 minute suitcase drags in the winter especially rainy Bergen 🙂 " - so our question is - what is the experience of other staying in the Radisson or other hotels in Bergen - whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Can't really speak to this other than to say that when we did our Northern Lights trip we arrived early and did Viking's Oslo extension prior to embarkation at Bergen (which is a really interesting port - could have spent longer there.)  The hotel they used in Oslo was terrific and great location, so I have a sneaking suspicion that they uphold a standard of quality when it comes to all the hotels they use for these pre and post extensions, etc. That doesn't help you much, but just thought I'd throw it in anyway. 

• Like 1

We've not stayed at the Radisson, but have stayed at the Opus XVI - which is further south, about twice as far from the dock. We've walked from the ship to downtown numerous times. The Radisson is about a 10 minute walk. 

As you've been to Bergen, you understand the weather. Unless you have very minimal luggage, I'd avoid the hike. While it's not stressful, the sidewalk is narrow in places and you have to navigate a bit of the port area - not the simplest if you have large luggage, or if the weather is poor.

We simply looked at the weather in the morning (raining as normal) and requested a taxi just before we checked out - there was no delay in it's arrival, and from the Opus it was about 10 minutes to the ship. I can't recall the cost, but it was minimal - perhaps $20 CDN (~12 GBP).

Enjoy! 🥌🍻

• Like 1

When I book our pre or post cruise hotels, I try to avoid the US chains.  So far, I have yet to book a dud.

When I booked us for a few days before Trade Routes left from  Bergen, I booked us in a local hotel that was across the street from the Raddison that Viking uses.  It was very close to the docks, and the main drag for restaurants and shops.  I went looking for that hotel, but deleted the reservation....sorry.  What was nice was the hotel provided both breakfast and dinner with the room price.  I would have no problem staying there again, as it’s location was excellent.  

I have found that hotel rooms tend to be smaller in the local hotels when compared to chains, but we don't spend a lot of time there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

When I book our pre or post cruise hotels, I try to avoid the US chains.  So far, I have yet to book a dud.

When I booked us for a few days before Trade Routes left from  Bergen, I booked us in a local hotel that was across the street from the Raddison that Viking uses.  It was very close to the docks, and the main drag for restaurants and shops.  I went looking for that hotel, but deleted the reservation....sorry.  What was nice was the hotel provided both breakfast and dinner with the room price.  I would have no problem staying there again, as it’s location was excellent.  

I have found that hotel rooms tend to be smaller in the local hotels when compared to chains, but we don't spend a lot of time there.

That is a Thon Hotel Orion right near the Raddison and the breakfast and dinner spread was very nice.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

That is a Thon Hotel Orion right near the Raddison and the breakfast and dinner spread was very nice.

THAT was the name!  Thanks, it escaped me and I couldn’t find it in my email confirmations.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

THAT was the name!  Thanks, it escaped me and I couldn’t find it in my email confirmations.  

LOL i still had it saved on Google Maps.  I do that all the time to figure out how to get from one place to another while traveling (even when walking) or to learn distances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We stayed at the Bergen Radisson. It’s close to the ship and in the middle of the historic area, but we weren’t impressed with the hotel itself. Dark, and we had a room that looked at a wall. (In contrast, the hotel Viking used in Oslo was lovely.) If we ever return to Bergen, we’d stay elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We stayed at the Thon Orion twice, July and February, and recommend it.  Join their free loyalty program to save a few dollars on the room.  Included dinner and breakfast.  The hotel is just a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal but you could take a taxi in inclement weather.  

23 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

That is the Hotel  Havenkontoret. We have stayed there and much prefer it to the Radisson. It is literally 20 steps from the Radisson entrance. Excellent breakfast and decent dinner buffet as well as afternoon tea included in the price. Next door to the Bryggen museum and the start of the excellent walking tour. Easy walk to port.  My favorite place to stay in Bergen!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did Viking Northern Lights cruise January 2020. Got off in Bergen and on our own spent 2 nights in Bergen at Hotel Grand Terminus which was very nice and across the street from the train station because we took train to Oslo for 3 days after that (also on our own, not Viking). Took taxi from port to hotel which was maybe 6 minutes and less than $20 so I was very satisfied. For Oslo train we did drag suitcases across the street. We had been in Bergen before and (by sheer luck) had great weather again. Getting taxi was super easy at the ship. There is literally no competition for taxis in January in Bergen. 

• Like 1

We enjoyed staying at the Radisson Blu. It's right in Bryggen, within easy walking distance of ships, sightseeing and good food. The design of our upgraded room echoed the historic architecture surrounding us. Breakfast was first rate (as is often true in Norwegian hotels - they really do compete for the title of "Best Breakfast in Norway"). We hope to stay there again when we return to Bergen.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 2:47 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Yep....must be a chain that Viking uses quite often. We were at a Thon in Oslo. 

Likely the Thon Opera. Across the courtyard from the train station, and across the street from the opera house. That's where Viking parked our group.

22 hours ago, uktog said:

Thank you everyone you have been so helpful and we are now working out all our options.  All the suggestions look really good.

Afternoon, just picked up this thread, we flew in the same day via Oslo the Viking flights were booked in SAS plus, very comfortable and Lounge access included, very easy to collect luggage in Bergen and bus to the ship. If we did it again would be happy to do the same, any questions please feel free to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Haworth said:

Afternoon, just picked up this thread, we flew in the same day via Oslo the Viking flights were booked in SAS plus, very comfortable and Lounge access included, very easy to collect luggage in Bergen and bus to the ship. If we did it again would be happy to do the same, any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the offer, I am sure I will be back with questions.  As we cannot get good flights from Scotland and its winter, we will go for day before.  If we had a direct flight to Oslo that would be different!

Just now, uktog said:

Thanks for the offer, I am sure I will be back with questions.  As we cannot get good flights from Scotland and its winter, we will go for day before.  If we had a direct flight to Oslo that would be different!

That's understandable, we were Heathrow, Oslo, Bergen.

Thanks. I think we would be routed through Amsterdam it’s the UK - AMS leg that is the one we have to watch as it’s a smaller plane and very prone to delays and cancellations hence our caution. We know the included flight won’t land in Bergen until 5pm on Day 1 of the cruise and even allowing for the overnight we’d want to settle in onboard earlier than that 

Edited by uktog

We have stayed at both the Thon Opera in Oslo and the Havnekontoret in Bergen and can thoroughly recommend both in terms of location and amenity.

If your cruise has not called at Flam then it is worthwhile to consider incorporating that into the rail journey from Bergen to Oslo or vv.  Although it is a long day, it is possible to take the "Norway in a Nutshell" journey which involves train from Bergen to Voss, then bus through the hairpins down to Gudvangen on the fjord, followed by a cruise around to Flam, then the famous Flambana train from Flam up to Myrdal, followed by the train from Myrdal to Oslo.  This is offered as a package and works well.  Luggage is not convenient on this journey, but luggage can be sent through porterservice.no who collect the bags and have them waiting when you arrive in Oslo.  The cost is somewhere around $30 per bag I think.  While we have not taken the Oslo to Bergen direction, I understand that the same journey applies in that direction as well.

It is a shame to visit that part of Norway and miss out on Flam.

• Like 1

We have not cruised from Bergen but spent three days there before a cruise from Copenhagen. The hotel we stayed at the Det Hanseatiske Hotel, part of the Finnegaarden on the Bryggen. It is located next to the Hanseatic Museum and has very unique historical guest rooms.

While staying in Bergen, we did a modified "Norway in a Nutshell". Instead of the train both ways from Bergen, we used the 07:30 Norled fast boat ferry to Flam. Arrival is approximately 13:00 with beautiful views of the Sognefjord along the way. We did not do the excursion train from Flam for a number of reasons. Instead walked around Flam, lunch, and then boarded the Flam to Gudvangen ferry for some stunning views of the Naeroyfjord. At Gudvangen we boarded the bus to Voss(vangen) with the infamous steep descent on part of it's route. Three buses were waiting at Gudvangen with the same destination sign. A confusing issue is that you pay the driver on the first bus but can ride either of the other two. My suggestion is to pay the first driver who will give you a ticket (cash only!), then try for better seats on one of the extra buses. The bus arrives in time for the local train back to Bergen. But we stayed later and had a lovely dinner at the Fleischer's Hotel Bar having a wonderful conversation with the bartender who was Swedish. The hotel is conveniently adjacent to the train platform. Arrival was about 22:30 back in Bergen.

• Like 1

Yes we have been to Flam - it is such a lovely ride and would agree anyone who has not seen Flam should try and enjoy a cruise that allows them to go there.