What's the deal with Excursions? Summer/2021

King0fTheNorth

9 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Definitely Kent, looking forward! Will be on the redeye LAX-CLT, CLT-BDA. Hopefully the Admirals Lounge in CLT will have a hot breakfast. 

Yes!  We will see you in the Admirals Lounge on June 29!

(if we all don’t get false positives on the 72 hour tests!!)

On 5/14/2021 at 9:59 AM, NeilP57 said:

Here in the UK, the Viking Agent was very clear that we were to remain within the Viking excursion bubble and this seemed to be part of the sales script for Icelandic cruise we booked.

I had similar discussions when I was considering the England's Scenic Coast, but decided to be in a Viking bubble in your own country was a little too restrictive.

It may get relaxed as cruises go by, we are not sailing until 31 July but we have proceeded on the basis that this will be the case and anything other than this will be a bonus.

We have booked this cruise but in September.  We were given the same information as you Neil that excursions were restricted to a Viking bubble.  This may change of course as the months go by but at the moment we are happy to adhere to the Viking protocol.  J

• Like 3

On 5/14/2021 at 2:15 PM, Hockeyump said:

The point regarding CDC  as I understand it, is that whatever they say, Viking are not bound by it.  I am in the UK and have no interest in what statements CDC make.  There is little point in getting excited by what they say as at the end of the day what Viking says is all that matters.

And most importantly, the Icelandic government which is welcoming tourists as long as they follow their rules (thank you Iceland!).

• Like 3

On 5/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, CCWineLover said:

Yes!  We will see you in the Admirals Lounge on June 29!

(if we all don’t get false positives on the 72 hour tests!!)

That test is a narrow hoop to jump through. Causing a lot of stress. Hopefully Viking will be more forthcoming SOON! With a Tuesday sail, & living on the west coast, it's a mess at best. The situation is a living Serenity Prayer. 

• Like 2

We're on the July 13, and yes it is anxiety producing!

It's necessary to take a test before departure? I hadn't realized. I still haven't received any instructions on how to prove vaccination.

But the shore excursions are my big concern. They haven't opened up yet. I really do prefer to spend most time outside of a bus, not just driving around pretty scenery but never stopping. If we don't get any options other than pure-bus-tours and we can't leave on our own, I'll be pretty disappointed. 8(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

It's necessary to take a test before departure? I hadn't realized. I still haven't received any instructions on how to prove vaccination.

But the shore excursions are my big concern. They haven't opened up yet. I really do prefer to spend most time outside of a bus, not just driving around pretty scenery but never stopping. If we don't get any options other than pure-bus-tours and we can't leave on our own, I'll be pretty disappointed. 8(

Depends on where you’re going.  Iceland no, Bermuda yes, Malta-I don’t know. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

32 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Depends on where you’re going.  Iceland no, Bermuda yes, Malta-I don’t know. 

Iceland for me. I'm not sure whether "Iceland no" means "no, you will be able to find good alternatives", or "no, only bus tours". 8-)

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

It's also concerning that when they do open up (who knows when), hopefully we can all book the excursion we want to. If the excursion you want is sold out, and you can't leave the ship without one, that can really suck. I hope they end up opening the excursions to outside vendors like the CDC has said it's ok to do. Fingers crossed but I know there are no guarantees for this.

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Iceland for me. I'm not sure whether "Iceland no" means "no, you will be able to find good alternatives", or "no, only bus tours". 8-)

Sorry, I was trying to answer the question you posed.  For Iceland, no test is required before departing USA-at least under the current Icelandic protocols. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, King0fTheNorth said:

I hope they end up opening the excursions to outside vendors like the CDC has said it's ok to do. Fingers crossed but I know there are no guarantees for this.

The United States CDC has zero jurisdiction or authority on any of the Welcome Back cruises. You need to check with the requirements of the country you are visiting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The United States CDC has zero jurisdiction or authority on any of the Welcome Back cruises. You need to check with the requirements of the country you are visiting.

Righto. But Viking’s Health Officer was the lead in our state for the response to Covid-19 and is a retired Vice Admiral of the US Navy Medical Corps so I’m sure she’s been consulting collaboratively with the CDC, as well as the equivalent entities in the countries where Viking cruises will be.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/viking-hires-vice-admiral-raquel-c-bono-md-as-chief-health-officer-301179889.html

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Righto. But Viking’s Health Officer was the lead in our state for the response to Covid-19 and is a retired Vice Admiral of the US Navy Medical Corps so I’m sure she’s been consulting collaboratively with the CDC, as well as the equivalent entities in the countries where Viking cruises will be.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/viking-hires-vice-admiral-raquel-c-bono-md-as-chief-health-officer-301179889.html

Since disembarking the Sun in Gibraltar, I have followed Viking's press releases, Chairman's films, Viking's Policies and relevant industry/regulatory working groups. I am well aware that Viking has consulted with the United States CDC, especially when formulating the Health & Safety Policy released in December.

Viking may even still be in contact with the United States CDC, but the fact remains, until a vessel operates in US Territorial Waters, current decisions are based on the requirements of the Flag State and the Health Authorities of the countries visited.

If the US CDC permits pax independent shore leave, but Norway, Iceland, UK/Bermuda & Malta require maintaining a shore-ex bubble, then any vessel sailing in those waters must  maintain a shore-ex bubble, regardless of the US CDC decision. Same applies to the wearing of masks, which I believe the US CDC has also relaxed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Since disembarking the Sun in Gibraltar, I have followed Viking's press releases, Chairman's films, Viking's Policies and relevant industry/regulatory working groups. I am well aware that Viking has consulted with the United States CDC, especially when formulating the Health & Safety Policy released in December.

Viking may even still be in contact with the United States CDC, but the fact remains, until a vessel operates in US Territorial Waters, current decisions are based on the requirements of the Flag State and the Health Authorities of the countries visited.

If the US CDC permits pax independent shore leave, but Norway, Iceland, UK/Bermuda & Malta require maintaining a shore-ex bubble, then any vessel sailing in those waters must  maintain a shore-ex bubble, regardless of the US CDC decision. Same applies to the wearing of masks, which I believe the US CDC has also relaxed.

We’re kind of talking apples and oranges. Nobody disputes you must follow requirements of the counties visited. I’m still trying to point out that all the CDC equivalent entities are consulting with each other in order to find the best and safest way forward—and the US CDC does research and shares data worldwide.

The CDC has said their data shows fully vaccinated people are safe to remove masks both indoors and out. Our federal mandates say you must still wear masks on public transport. Many state and local entities, including businesses, are still requiring masks for all. The CDC doesn’t mandate anything—they just do the research and share the data. So they are absolutely going to be influencing decisions in many countries.

The biggest one as I see it, is trying to coordinate with the EU on “green passports,” although that’s a tough one because the US government will not be producing anything—leaving it up to private businesses to come up with an equivalent for US citizens that will be acceptable for travel in the EU and other countries.

The roll call from the sailing the week before ours says that they have shore excursions, although new ones are being gradually added, and filled excursions suddenly have space. So there will definitely be some chaos here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

The roll call from the sailing the week before ours says that they have shore excursions, although new ones are being gradually added, and filled excursions suddenly have space. So there will definitely be some chaos here.

The first three sailings were able to book on May 7. Since then, booking has not opened for any subsequent sailings.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 1:24 PM, LindaS272 said:

The CDC has said their data shows fully vaccinated people are safe to remove masks both indoors and out. Our federal mandates say you must still wear masks on public transport. Many state and local entities, including businesses, are still requiring masks for all. The CDC doesn’t mandate anything—they just do the research and share the data. So they are absolutely going to be influencing decisions in many countries.

There are several challenges businesses are facing as they open up.   This is especially true for the cruise industry that needs to meet the requirements of each of the countries they will sail in.  I think you understand that any major Covid outbreak on a cruise line will be catastrophic for that cruise line.  Since we enjoy cruising so much, I for one, have no problem with Viking preceeding with extreme caution.   Every country's disease control organization is still learning on this virus that has only been out there for less than two years with vacines that have only been out there for less than a year and are still being studied.   The US CDC has changed its direction several times in this two years as it learns more and more about controling this virus.  The vaccine is not 100% effective - the best of them are 95% effective which is one of the reasons you are seeing several breakthrough cases for people that have been vacinated - my neighbor is one of those breakthrough cases.   Two weeks after she received her second Pfizer shot she was convienced she was protected and went every where without a mask or social distancing.  A month later she got Covid and ended up hospitialized.   The good news is that she is now OK and back to wearing a mask around people she doesn't know like in stores and is practicing social distancing.   Maybe a few months from now we will know more about the breakthrough cases and how to prevent them.   For now, I am comfortable eating at restaurants without a mask but I still wear one when I go in or go shopping.  When we have vacinated friends over, we ask what everyone feels comfortable with doing.   If one person wants to wear a mask, then we all wear a mask and don't make fun of their choice.  It is one of the things friends do.  It is like when you are going for a walk with a group, we all walk at the speed of the slowest friend.   Bottom line is if Viking wants us to wear a mask when going about the ship, I'll wear a mask.   If they would want me to wear one in my cabin or on my veranda, then I would cancel my cruise.

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

There are several challenges businesses are facing as they open up.   This is especially true for the cruise industry that needs to meet the requirements of each of the countries they will sail in.  I think you understand that any major Covid outbreak on a cruise line will be catastrophic for that cruise line.  Since we enjoy cruising so much, I for one, have no problem with Viking preceeding with extreme caution.   Every country's disease control organization is still learning on this virus that has only been out there for less than two years with vacines that have only been out there for less than a year and are still being studied.   The US CDC has changed its direction several times in this two years as it learns more and more about controling this virus.  The vaccine is not 100% effective - the best of them are 95% effective which is one of the reasons you are seeing several breakthrough cases for people that have been vacinated - my neighbor is one of those breakthrough cases.   Two weeks after she received her second Pfizer shot she was convienced she was protected and went every where without a mask or social distancing.  A month later she got Covid and ended up hospitialized.   The good news is that she is now OK and back to wearing a mask around people she doesn't know like in stores and is practicing social distancing.   Maybe a few months from now we will know more about the breakthrough cases and how to prevent them.   For now, I am comfortable eating at restaurants without a mask but I still wear one when I go in or go shopping.  When we have vacinated friends over, we ask what everyone feels comfortable with doing.   If one person wants to wear a mask, then we all wear a mask and don't make fun of their choice.  It is one of the things friends do.  It is like when you are going for a walk with a group, we all walk at the speed of the slowest friend.   Bottom line is if Viking wants us to wear a mask when going about the ship, I'll wear a mask.   If they would want me to wear one in my cabin or on my veranda, then I would cancel my cruise.

Wow—very sorry for your neighbor. My husband and I were skeptical here about the CDC’s recommendation on removing masks. We haven’t changed our behavior one iota. (Although we did have a slice of pizza for lunch at an outdoor table at our local grocery store last week.) I would only stop masking up when the numbers come way down in my county. They are slowing, but I want to see a couple of weeks with NO cases.

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Wow—very sorry for your neighbor. My husband and I were skeptical here about the CDC’s recommendation on removing masks. We haven’t changed our behavior one iota. (Although we did have a slice of pizza for lunch at an outdoor table at our local grocery store last week.) I would only stop masking up when the numbers come way down in my county. They are slowing, but I want to see a couple of weeks with NO cases.

I believe that once you are vacinated you can do reasonable things such as eating at a reastrurant without your mask or gathering with vacinated friends.  But we need to realize, that the while the vaccine provide good protection, it is not 100%.   If you are vacinated the odds of not getting Covid are signifactly in your favor and if you do get it, it is most often minor.   As a cruise line, I believe Viking needs to error on the side of safety.   I'm glad you are still being watchful.  I think that is smart.

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I believe that once you are vacinated you can do reasonable things such as eating at a reastrurant without your mask or gathering with vacinated friends.  But we need to realize, that the while the vaccine provide good protection, it is not 100%.   If you are vacinated the odds of not getting Covid are signifactly in your favor and if you do get it, it is most often minor.   As a cruise line, I believe Viking needs to error on the side of safety.   I'm glad you are still being watchful.  I think that is smart.

My understanding is that, the older you are, the less protective the vaccine is, particularly 80+ or if you have immune system challenges. Not that it doesn't help, just that the odds of a bad outcome are higher.

20 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I have no problem wearing a mask on the cruise. I appreciate the fact that everyone has to be vaccinated. However, I don't see how having to stay with a viking excursion helps reduce the risk in a country that has virtually zero cases. If we were going into a covid hot zone, that might be understandable, but Iceland has fared better and managed the virus better than most places.

I get it that Viking will do what they and Iceland think is best, but it would be nice if they opened up excursions to outside vendors. At the very least, they could have done a much a better job communicating when excursions would open up for us. I wouldn't even care if they said it wouldn't be available until 20 days before sailing, as long as they communicated with us a set date instead of us having to frantically check every day.

1 minute ago, King0fTheNorth said:

I have no problem wearing a mask on the cruise. I appreciate the fact that everyone has to be vaccinated. However, I don't see how having to stay with a viking excursion helps reduce the risk in a country that has virtually zero cases. If we were going into a covid hot zone, that might be understandable, but Iceland has fared better and managed the virus better than most places.

I get it that Viking will do what they and Iceland think is best, but it would be nice if they opened up excursions to outside vendors. At the very least, they could have done a much a better job communicating when excursions would open up for us. I wouldn't even care if they said it wouldn't be available until 20 days before sailing, as long as they communicated with us a set date instead of us having to frantically check every day.

That's been my complaint right along.  The lack of communication, along with a plethora of miscommunication from the reps.  I've asked the same question of 4 reps and have gotten 4 different answers!  Someone somewhere along the line knows how many passengers are on each sailing.  I've had the same experience with previous Viking river cruises, "we'll let you know as soon as we find out".  At this point it's not going to stop me from sailing with them, but it is annoying.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ejc14 said:

That's been my complaint right along.  The lack of communication, along with a plethora of miscommunication from the reps.  I've asked the same question of 4 reps and have gotten 4 different answers!  Someone somewhere along the line knows how many passengers are on each sailing.  I've had the same experience with previous Viking river cruises, "we'll let you know as soon as we find out".  At this point it's not going to stop me from sailing with them, but it is annoying.

The miscommunication is the whole reason I had to start this thread. It sad I had to go to cruise critic to get a straight answer since customer service kept giving me different ones. Also disappointed by the included excursions as they all seem pretty boring, but that's a whole other topic. If Viking just opened up to outside vendors for excursions, this wouldn't matter that much. But without outside vendors, there are no other options. If your excursion fills up, too bad! I would be very upset if I had to stay on the ship a whole port day because we aren't allowed to get off on our own and because all the good excursions are booked.

I agree with much of what has been said of Vikings lack of effective communications regarding excursions.   I fully recognize that they have been setting up the excursions on a comprssed schedule with suppliers that are restarting after being closed for a pandemic but the lack of communication has been frustrating.   They show be able to develop a plan and communicate their plan to their customers.  When the plans need to change they need to communicate the reason for the change and the new plan.  Must of us are Viking Fans and will understand that they may need to adjust.  The total lack of communications on Excusions in alost unforgiveable.   The fact that due to the Viking bubble causing us to only leave the ship on Viking excusions causes this problem to be much greater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King0fTheNorth said:

there are no other options. If your excursion fills up, too bad! I would be very upset if I had to stay on the ship a whole port day because we aren't allowed to get off on our own and because all the good excursions are booked.

Yes - and we ARE disappointed.

If we are stuck with just a small boat ride as the only viable excursion in port, that is bad.

(But still better than staying on board all day)

• Like 1