Mediterranean Cruise

abby1257

1 hour ago, mexicobob said:

Am considering a cruise to the Mediterranean in 4/22 which would be questionable. In any event check airfare prices before you get too far in your planning. Not cheap.

It's waaaay too early to book airfare to Europe from the US for next year's cruises. Airlines have cut their schedules for the pandemic which is why you're seeing very expensive fares. Normally April would be lower airfare season. Be patient. 

3 hours ago, abby1257 said:

Tossing around a Mediterranean Cruise in October, have never been overseas....Talk me into it.....

No way.  I would only recommend cruises from ports you can drive to for September and October.  Gotta see how July and August cruises disembark before risking airfare/hotel.  We're looking at Mediterranean Cruise too, and just felt September and October are too risky right now.  If Italy and France open up like Greece and the first cruises are October (doubtful) maybe then it would be worth the risk.  IMO.

We booked the Mediterranean Greek Isles out of Venice for October 2023.  We did the Mediterranean on the Vista from Athens to Barcelona.  It is amazing.  Very port intensive.  Long port days as well.  You must plan accordingly and not treat it like you can some of the Caribbean destinations where you stay up drinking, gambling, socializing etc...  Just my two cents.  But amazing trip nonetheless!!

8 hours ago, kwokpot said:

It's waaaay too early to book airfare to Europe from the US for next year's cruises. Airlines have cut their schedules for the pandemic which is why you're seeing very expensive fares. Normally April would be lower airfare season. Be patient. 

I have a July 3rd Rhine cruise.  It is getting really close and airfare has me scared sh**less right now.  I know that is probably a very slim chance it goes, but they've only cancelled thru June so far.  With such few flights scheduled currently, cheapest is $4,000 for two of us.  If they open up over there, I hope airlines adjust quickly.

1 hour ago, abby1257 said:

Oh gosh, so sorry, I should have said planning for October 2022!!....not this year....Nothing is going to happen for me this year....Thx

We're booked on the Pride for Oct. of 2022, after the ones for Sept. of 2020 and 2021 were cancelled.

Hopefully  things will be back to normal by then and we can finally go.

We are waiting for the 2023 European cruises to be released.  Sister and BIL will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary in 2023.  At first we were looking at just Italy and Greece.  With a little more research I found a 9 day from England to Italy and then the Italian cruise is 10 days.  As long as we are headed in that direction we plan to make the most of it and stop in England for some tourism and then sail to Italy, and do a closed loop cruise out of Italy.

30 years ago I did a land vacation in Italy.  My girlfriend lived in Rome at the time and she took me all over Rome to see the sites.  We spent time on an island off of Naples, time in Venice, Florence and Bologna.  The sites over there contain world history and you will never ever forget what you saw and learned.  If you can, go later in the year and avoid the heavy tourism season.  This way you can spend more time at the sites.  

Europe is so different than America.  If you are looking for adventure, history and culture, Europe is where you will find it.  Good luck on your decision.  I hope you go.