Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, coldflame said:

This is the crux of the problem, you're throwing a large part of the population under the bus. We masked and distanced (and continue to do so) for over 13 months now, but are waiting at least a year (say November -- a year after mass vaccination started) before rushing in to get vaccinated. When you generalize you're drawing a straw man. And no one is asking the vaccinated to alter their lifestyle for those of us looking at the vaccine numbers. If you're vaccinated and/or have anti-bodies feel free to live your life just like before February of 2020.

It’s everyone’s choice whether or not to get vaccinated, but the hard truth is that at least for the short term things like cruising are going to be available to vaccinated persons only.  Lifestyle choices will be altered for some based on their choice.  It’s not the fault of the vaccinated. 

• Like 3

Just now, harkinmr said:

It’s everyone’s choice whether or not to get vaccinated, but the hard truth is that at least for the short term things like cruising are going to be available to vaccinated persons only.  Lifestyle choices will be altered for some based on their choice.  It’s not the fault of the vaccinated. 

With choice comes responsibility, no doubt. I wonder if CDC/Cruise lines an anti-body positive test will be accepted for those who already had it and are thus immune or highly resistant to it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coldflame said:

With choice comes responsibility, no doubt. I wonder if CDC/Cruise lines an anti-body positive test will be accepted for those who already had it and are thus immune or highly resistant to it.

Not sure but it doesn’t look so for now. There may be cruise lines that end up offering non-vaccinated cruises too. I’ve heard rumblings that Carnival may go that route. Those cruises will come with testing, masking and all the other COVID restrictions under the CSO though. Not my idea of a fun vacation, but some folks may be ok with it.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

I haven't seen anyone on this thread talk about the comorbidies that caused many of the deaths related to covid.  Perhaps instead of worrying about whether or not you are vaccinated (which by the way in no way makes you 100 per cent immune!!)  I think you should have to be weighed and your blood pressure taken and prove that your BMI is within the non obese range and prove that you don't have diabetes before cruising.   You do realize that a vaccinated person could be the one to test positive on the cruise and ruin it for everyone as you have proposed will happen if non vaccinated people are allowed to cruise. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, soup51 said:

I haven't seen anyone on this thread talk about the comorbidies that caused many of the deaths related to covid.  Perhaps instead of worrying about whether or not you are vaccinated (which by the way in no way makes you 100 per cent immune!!)  I think you should have to be weighed and your blood pressure taken and prove that your BMI is within the non obese range and prove that you don't have diabetes before cruising.   You do realize that a vaccinated person could be the one to test positive on the cruise and ruin it for everyone as you have proposed will happen if non vaccinated people are allowed to cruise. 

Comorbidities are obviously a problem for many, but especially for those who have decided to remain unvaccinated. You are right that vaccines are not 100% effective against an infection, but they are as close as possible to 100% effective against serious illness and death from COVID. And, no, people are not going to be restricted based on obesity or high blood pressure or any of the other circumstances that might impact their health. People have to be responsible for themselves and whether they might be impacted by COVID on a cruise, but they sure as heck are going to be better off vaccinated AND cruising with other vaccinated folks.  Make a choice on being vaccinated, but live with the limitations if not. It’s really that simple. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Comorbidities are obviously a problem for many, but especially for those who have decided to remain unvaccinated. You are right that vaccines are not 100% effective against an infection, but they are as close as possible to 100% effective against serious illness and death from COVID. And, no, people are not going to be restricted based on obesity or high blood pressure or any of the other circumstances that might impact their health. People have to be responsible for themselves and whether they might be impacted by COVID on a cruise, but they sure as heck are going to be better off vaccinated AND cruising with other vaccinated folks.  Make a choice on being vaccinated, but live with the limitations if not. It’s really that simple. 

Why is that the most uninformed judgemental people always have the most to say???  Asking for a friend!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

There's substantial data from fatalities in the US, that most of those who perished (and were not in their old age) were folks with obesity issues. So while obesity isn't the causation (Coronavirus is), it's *highly* correlated.

16 minutes ago, soup51 said:

Why is that the most uninformed judgemental people always have the most to say???  Asking for a friend!

How's that uninformed? There's plenty of hard data that shows the HIGHEST comorbidity of coronavirus in folks 65 or younger *is* obesity.

Edited by coldflame

2 minutes ago, coldflame said:

How's that uniformed? There's plenty of hard data that shows the HIGHEST comorbidity of coronavirus in folks 65 or younger *is* obesity.

I wasn't referring to the issue of comorbidities.  Also the word is uninformed not uniformed.

43 minutes ago, soup51 said:

I think you should have to be weighed and your blood pressure taken and prove that your BMI is within the non obese range and prove that you don't have diabetes before cruising.  

Really??????? will be a pretty empty ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, coldflame said:

This is the crux of the problem, you're throwing a large part of the population under the bus. We masked and distanced (and continue to do so) for over 13 months now, but are waiting at least a year (say November -- a year after mass vaccination started) before rushing in to get vaccinated. When you generalize you're drawing a straw man. And no one is asking the vaccinated to alter their lifestyle for those of us looking at the vaccine numbers. If you're vaccinated and/or have anti-bodies feel free to live your life just like before February of 2020.

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus. I don't care if you, or anyone else, does not want to get vaccinated. I understand the reasoning. Though choosing to wait until November, as you say, seems pretty arbitrary to me. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 11:08 PM, kidless said:

I’ve noticed that companies are not requiring proof of vaccinations for employees to go maskless. Even DOJ and other government agencies that have lifted mask requirements for vaccinated employees are purely on honor systems. Same for many businesses they are not asking employees or customers to show proof. I’m thinking perhaps the fancy lawyers on certain news outlets that spout off that requiring proof of vaccine is perfectly legal and does not violate HIPAA are wrong.  So we may not see proof of vaccine requirements for cruising. #JMHO 

Mask mandates are going away because they were basically found to be useless. COVID spread through aerosol form. The mask is only useful if you are a moron sneezing into other people's face or eating someone's sneeze cloud. They continue to go under the guise of "get vaccinated so you can remove your mask" to entice more people to get it. Do you honestly believe, that if it was a matter of life or death, that we would go on the honor system?

1 hour ago, soup51 said:

How dare you ask for personal responsibility. That will immediately be attacked. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, coldflame said:

There's substantial data from fatalities in the US, that most of those who perished (and were not in their old age) were folks with obesity issues. So while obesity isn't the causation (Coronavirus is), it's *highly* correlated.

Never said it wasn’t. I clearly recognized it as a significant comorbidity for COVID.  That doesn’t change the fact that those folks, and others as well, need to be vaccinated.  Ya never know how it’s going to impact you.  And it doesn’t change the petty accusations that folks that are obese or have high blood pressure or have auto-immune disorders should be kept off cruise ships.  Get vaccinated or don’t. Everyone’s choice, but don’t whine about being excluded from cruising for the time being. As you said earlier, it’s an acceptance of responsibility for one’s choices. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

How dare you ask for personal responsibility. That will immediately be attacked. 

I know! The audacity of some to actually expect folks to be responsible for their own choices, including NOT being vaccinated.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, soup51 said:

Says the person who was being judgmental about obesity and other health issues. Look in the mirror my friend. 

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Really??????? will be a pretty empty ship.

Comes up every couple years about weighing Passengers before Flights. New one other nite brought it up again saying as average passenger is overweight that its for safety of all knowing onboard weight and Balancing the Plane. Better then few yrs ago when was one of the Budget Airline saying were going charge Rate by your Weight... Hey at least as over half population is heavier nice of them make seats smaller and even have some Planes w/o ability to recline... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Esmerelda said:

These vaccines won’t have clinical trials completed for 2 years.  Anyone that has participated is part of the trials.  

AB2C71F4-96C3-4E2B-B6F9-E1D99ED8A398.jpeg

The biggest 'clinical' trial is currently taken place now. Millions have particpated in it. 

6 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

These vaccines won’t have clinical trials completed for 2 years.  Anyone that has participated is part of the trials.  

AB2C71F4-96C3-4E2B-B6F9-E1D99ED8A398.jpeg

Which antivaxxer echo chamber did you pull this from? 😂

Let's discuss the point that people who have survived after catching COVID-19 are part of the clinical trials for studying the virus's long-term effects. We have discovered some already.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Says the person who was being judgmental about obesity and other health issues. Look in the mirror my friend. 

Like I said  Totally uninformed.  Stating a fact about the issues that caused many deaths along with covid is really not judgmental.  I'm following the science my friend!

On 5/22/2021 at 9:17 PM, coldflame said:

Do you know what longitudinal means? The original test  group for these vaccines were inoculated with them less than a year ago. Mass vaccination did not start until late October and not in earnest until late December/Early January. Yes, the data for both vaccines look very good, but it doesn't pass the test of a time sampling. The best we can say about the vaccines is that they are safe and they work *UP TO NOW*. We don't have nearly enough longitudinal data to make any inference about its long term safety or efficacy.

Time will tell. BTW......I'm vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine. I'm not worried.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:49 AM, jrapps said:

People do just want to cruise again but they also want to do so safely. At this time, only 36.7% of the US population is fully vaccinated. 47% have had at least one dose, and we are just now starting to vaccinate kids 12+. All indications point to us achieving somewhere around 50% of the nation fully vaccinated between mid June and end of July. Still very much below the level needed for herd immunity

You wrote this back on may 16th. As of last night May 28th according to CNN 51% of adult americans are fully vaccinated. It seems to be moving pretty well.

• Like 1