Dress Code

stamford57

Everyone should do what they want. If I want to wear Khakis and a polo shirt and  you want to wear a suit and tie, how does one affect the other. I will not be standing behind you in your formal photos, nor will you be tasting me food in your suit before I eat. You "get dressed up people" are too worried about others and trying to pretend you are from a bygone age of travel like you saw on the Titanic. Just a note, that was a movie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissyKish said:

...My legs and or polo shirt have no impact on your cruise and or meal.

You are correct that it does not affect me, but to say it doesn't affect your vacation experience would be naive.

Princess is unique in that they have a burden to maintain their brand. The Princess model is defined by romance from it's link to The Love Boat series; a link they still embrace 45 years later. Most people still want that element in a vacation and fine dining in formal wear is part of romance. Like it or not. 

Many on a cruise are celebrating an anniversary. Does showing up for an anniversary dinner in shorts, t-shirt and ball cap say the same thing? Not to me, but to your partner?

Attending the Captain's Circle parties, the shows and the formal dining are features of the Princess vacation experience, which you and I pay well as passengers. If that's not what you like, switch lines. Not because you take away from me, but because the experience is not what you want. No one should guilt-pressure you in what to wear, but I'd suggest to look at the issue differently. Dressing well enhances the experience. If you see it as a benefit, it's no burden.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, caribill said:

This (from the Princess web site) seems clear and concise to me:

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

What does NICE mean?  What does GOOD mean ?

I don’t consider either of these words clear or concise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissyKish said:

Everyone should do what they want. If I want to wear Khakis and a polo shirt and  you want to wear a suit and tie, how does one affect the other. I will not be standing behind you in your formal photos, nor will you be tasting me food in your suit before I eat. You "get dressed up people" are too worried about others and trying to pretend you are from a bygone age of travel like you saw on the Titanic. Just a note, that was a movie.

I agree to an extent. Apart from cruising we dress in in jeans and tee shirts, or if going to a pub, we might put on chinos and a polo, (or the equivalent for my wife). 

A cruise gives us a chance to wear something different - what's wrong with that? Surely you must like a change occasionally? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

You are correct that it does not affect me, but to say it doesn't affect your vacation experience would be naive.

Princess is unique in that they have a burden to maintain their brand. The Princess model is defined by romance from it's link to The Love Boat series; a link they still embrace 45 years later. Most people still want that element in a vacation and fine dining in formal wear is part of romance. Like it or not. 

Many on a cruise are celebrating an anniversary. Does showing up for an anniversary dinner in shorts, t-shirt and ball cap say the same thing? Not to me, but to your partner?

Attending the Captain's Circle parties, the shows and the formal dining are features of the Princess vacation experience, which you and I pay well as passengers. If that's not what you like, switch lines. Not because you take away from me, but because the experience is not what you want. No one should guilt-pressure you in what to wear, but I'd suggest to look at the issue differently. Dressing well enhances the experience. If you see it as a benefit, it's no burden.

I think most people pick a cruise for the price or itinerary and not because they watched some 1970's television show and want to live in the past.......we do follow the dress code on all cruises we are on but NEVER has what we were wearing enhanced or detracted from the cruise experience.......dressing is a superficial activity and really has nothing to do with anything in the real world.....we have been on many a Princess cruise where the dress code was not enforced in the MDR and the food still tasted the same.....

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I think most people pick a cruise for the price or itinerary and not because they watched some 1970's television show and want to live in the past.......dressing is a superficial activity and really has nothing to do with anything in the real world.....we have been on many a Princess cruise where the dress code was not enforced in the MDR and the food still tasted the same.....

Perhaps there are some who enjoy an anachronism, I'll give you that. If they do, then that's OK.  But what I wrote was that Princess, as a cruise line, embraces a part of the cruising tradition, that being formal night, as part of their brand and holds to their link to the TV Show by choice. I'd add that you are right about why people cruise with the lines they do.  For us, it's our proximity to the port of San Pedro; a main embarkation port for Princess. Pretty obvious the food doesn't change.

You dress formal for dinner...  I've read enough of your posts to know that you are not a people pleaser. You dress as you choose, not because someone tells you what to wear. I dress too, in small part, I stop thinking about what I'm wearing. When people post here about how much they've gotten away with wearing in the MDR, they are rehashing a small decision made at least a year and a half ago. That, PrincessLuver, is living in the past.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Or, the problem could easily be solved by doing away with Formal night  dress codes......what's the purpose of formal nights anyway.....there are no grand balls or parties or any special entertainment.....strictly an outdated and old fashioned  nuisance that needs to be done away with......

The problem is a certain percent of their clientele like Formal Nights and they choose to not lose that percent. Outdated or not, if you take the cruise knowing the dress code requests, follow the request or don't go on the cruise.

5 hours ago, MissyKish said:

My legs and or polo shirt have no impact on your cruise and or meal.

It isn't up to you to tell others how they feel. People flaunting rules and ignoring conventions irritate me, so yes it does have an impact on me. So when I tell you how obnoxious and self absorbed you are in the MDR you will know it is impacting my enjoyment to have to tell you to grow up or suggest maybe Carnival is more suited for you.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

This (from the Princess web site) seems clear and concise to me: "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

It might be concise, but it very much not clear. There is a big difference between "should" and "must"; as in "when returning from abroad, passengers should show their passport as opposed to passengers must show their passport.

3 hours ago, MissyKish said:

Everyone should do what the guidelines say. That is how we function best as a society; consideration for your neighbors.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 7:09 PM, scottca075 said:

Two great stories but completely irrelevant to the question and the topic.

Princess Cruise Lines has a published Dress Code that everyone sees before they sign up for the cruise. I don't have to like it, but I do feel obliged to follow it since I've signed up for the cruise knowing what is expected.

The OP asked if her husband could wear dress shorts on non-formal nights.

The answer was, "probably not", but not definitively "no", because Princess has seemingly variable informal standards based maybe on cruise location or Maître d.

That is really all this topic is about.

Spot On

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

What does NICE mean?  What does GOOD mean ?

I don’t consider either of these words clear or concise.

Nice: Not crappy/worn out or beaten to death. Good: No holes/tears rips etc. Too hard to figure that out?

• Like 1

It really boils down to this: You can either choose to dress nicely or dress like a schlub. We dress nicely. no tuxes(only on Cunard) but always nice slacks/nice shoes/dressy type shirt & sport coat with or without tie. If you wish to dress like Ed Sheeran or Mark Zuckerberg, obviously wealth or talent can't dictate good taste.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The problem is a certain percent of their clientele like Formal Nights and they choose to not lose that percent. Outdated or not, if you take the cruise knowing the dress code requests, follow the request or don't go on the cruise.

As many have posted in so many words, Princess is trying to appeal to all by having a flexible, bendable policy that permits a range of dress and preserves the formal night tradition for those who want to go all-in.  I think the problem is that some folks want everyone to follow recommendations to the max formal level and aren't particularly happy with anything less.

It isn't up to you to tell others how they feel. People flaunting rules and ignoring conventions irritate me, so yes it does have an impact on me. So when I tell you how obnoxious and self absorbed you are in the MDR you will know it is impacting my enjoyment to have to tell you to grow up or suggest maybe Carnival is more suited for you. 

This is true, but it is also not up to you to tell others how they should dress and what to wear.  This thread, like all that have preceded it in recent years, end up with many posters telling other posters how to dress and that their choices aren't acceptable.  I am sure you mean well, but statements like the second sentence are reasons a lot of these clothing threads are ultimately deleted by the moderators.

It might be concise, but it very much not clear. There is a big difference between "should" and "must"; as in "when returning from abroad, passengers should show their passport as opposed to passengers must show their passport.

Yes, there is a difference between "should" and "must", and Princess is not using the word "must', but some CC posters seem to hold the position that there is one or more "musts" in the clothing recommendations.  The wording you responded to seeks to set a minimum standard and the dining room notes indicate articles of clothing that are "not welcomed" (they could have used "banned", "not allowed", etc', but Princess seems to be being polite in all of their writing perhaps expecting folks to go along as comply as requested).

Everyone should do what the guidelines say. That is how we function best as a society; consideration for your neighbors.

Yes, and the post you responded to could have been better worded in the first sentence, but then spoke about allowed clothing.  The vast majority of passengers do conduct within the guidelines and within what Princess permits on the ships.  It may not meet the loftier standards of some, but for me, I see folks looking fine at dinner and don't get over-worked as to who is big-time formal and who is business dress and who is smart casual. 

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

This is true, but it is also not up to you to tell others how they should dress and what to wear.  This thread, like all that have preceded it in recent years, end up with many posters telling other posters how to dress and that their choices aren't acceptable.  I am sure you mean well, but statements like the second sentence are reasons a lot of these clothing threads are ultimately deleted by the moderators.

My remarks were more metaphorical, or perhaps allegorical. Although the "I don't need to follow the  rules attitude" bugs the bejeebus out of me I wouldn't actually confront the perp; life is too short. The point was that in a "do what ever you want" world sometimes people are going to do something you don't like; better that we try to live cooperatively and that is what rules, norms and conventions are about.

• Like 1

As the OP states waaay back on page 9:

On 5/24/2021 at 2:22 AM, stamford57 said:

... Each to their own but enjoy your holiday and focus on what’s important. Which is most definitely not what others are doing...

Time to close this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1