The Daily for Tuesday May 18, 2021

richwmn

In August 2018 we sailed into Montreal on the Seabourn Quest at the end of our Route of the Vikings II cruise.  It began in Reykjavik and cruised to a nice group of ports in Greenland and Maritime Canada.  This was our view as we headed towards the dock.enhance

We reluctantly disembarked the beautiful Quest and boarded a bus for a tour of Montreal.  At the end of the tour we would be dropped off at the airport to fly to Amsterdam for our next cruise on the Prinsendam.  Our first stop on the tour was at the Notre-Dame Basilica. enhance

enhance

The interior of this cathedral had some of the most beautiful lighting, altars and statues I have seen anywhere.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The scene in front of the cathedralenhance

Unique statuary seen about town as we drove through the streets.enhance

What is with their noses?enhance

The Museum of Fine Arts, appropriate today of all days.enhance

At a scenic overlook you can see Olympic Stadium in the distanceenhance

Our second time in Montreal (6 weeks later in October 2018) was the beginning of a Rotterdam Canada, New England, Atlantic Coast Cruise which ended in Tampa, Florida.  Continuing on down the coast of the U.S. to Florida makes this a very interesting and unique voyage.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
added detail
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love museums and hate dirty dishes.Sometimes we use paper plates to avoid those dirty dishes.Love the quote . We had three children, so it makes sense.

We’ve been to Montreal several times, on cruises and land trips. Love the old city.

Last night we finally had a dinner outside at a beautiful restaurant on a lake. The food was great, the tables far apart, and we were happy to be out of the house.

I spent over three hours on the phone yesterday trying to figure out the best way to purchase our leased car. The deciding factor between taking a loan from USAA, paying off Lexus Financial Services or dealing with the dealership was that only the dealership will take care of transferring the title with the DMV.Most of them are closed in our state and the title has to be done within 10 days.The closest open DMV for title transfers is an hour away and they are already booked thru mid June. The decision, after gathering all the facts means we will pay cash with a certified check to the dealership and they will take care of all the paperwork. Seems like a no brained now.

Today will be another beautiful day and we learned last night that our pool will open in June. Our board has been worried about being sued if any caught covid since their insurance specifically excludes co erase for that.  Our state is about to pass a law so no one can sue from catching covid someplace.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

In August 2018 we sailed into Montreal on the Seabourn Quest at the end of our Route of the Vikings II cruise.  It began in Reykjavik and cruised to a nice group of ports in Greenland and Maritime Canada.  This was our view as we headed towards the dock.enhance

We reluctantly disembarked the beautiful Quest and boarded a bus for a tour of Montreal.  At the end of the tour we would be dropped off at the airport to fly to Amsterdam for our next cruise on the Prinsendam.  Our first stop on the tour was at the Notre-Dame Basilica. enhance

enhance

The interior of this cathedral had some of the most beautiful lighting, altars and statues I have seen anywhere.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The scene in front of the cathedralenhance

Unique statuary seen about town as we drove through the streets.enhance

What is with their noses?enhance

The Museum of Fine Arts, appropriate today of all days.enhance

At a scenic overlook you can see Olympic Stadium in the distanceenhance

Our second time in Montreal (6 weeks later in October 2018) was the beginning of a Rotterdam Canada, New England, Atlantic Coast Cruise which ended in Tampa, Florida.  Continuing on down the coast of the U.S. to Florida makes this a very interesting and unique voyage.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The pictures of ND Basilica were stunning!

• Like 6

One of my early combinations of cruises was something I called "Montreal Circle".  I boarded a Blount ship (under 100 passenger) ship for a cruise through the New York Erie Canal to Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence to Montreal and then returned to New York on the Crystal Symphony after a couple days family time in the area.  Here's my Blount ship (to the left) behind an Aida ship:

ushuge.jpg

Roy

• Like 31

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  It's always nice visiting museums when we travel - you can find out the most interesting thing about a location's past.  I'm with the rest of you, can't stand a bunch of dirty dishes - or a dirty sink.  We're 1 jab away from visiting our relatives, which hopefully will come soon.  Our province is beginning 2nd jabs today, but DH is a bit too young to book yet - they're starting with the 85 year olds and working back.

I laughed at Erma Bombeck's quote, though I always felt sorry for the kid in the middle when there were 3 children in a family.  The bonus of only having 1 child was he never had to fight anyone for a window.  LOL

Yesterday was Hot!  We did reach our predicted +32 by lunch time and it stayed that way until evening; at 10:30 last night it was still +28.  It cooled down overnight, but is expected to shoot up again to +29.  We're grateful for the a/c we installed a couple  of years ago.  Never fear though, true to the "frozen tundra", there is a weather system that's supposed to blow through on the weekend that could bring snow.   I'm scrambling now to find covers for the multitude of pots containing annuals that are going to need protection.  Oh, the joys of gardening!

Today's dish is another one that reminds me of Hamburger Helper . . . we don't eat much of it, but there have been a lot of recipes that seem to be a home made version of the product.  Because it's so darn nice, we'll be barbecuing this evening - chicken breasts, corn on the cob and cucumber salad will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra healing prayers for Roy.  Clinking the glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s) when you need to, and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 24

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Never have more children than you have car windows. - Erma Bombeck

Growing up, I had four brothers and four sisters (plus our parents did foster care). I remember a trip from Tacoma, WA, to Escondido, CA. We all piled into a 1973 Datsun B210 for the drive (and I do mean "piled"). Thankfully, my three older siblings had gone off to college by that time.

My DW and I had an only child. Even when she brought a friend along, road trips were so much more pleasant.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Growing up, I had four brothers and four sisters (plus our parents did foster care). I remember a trip from Tacoma, WA, to Escondido, CA. We all piled into a 1973 Datsun B210 for the drive (and I do mean "piled"). Thankfully, my three older siblings had gone off to college by that time.

My DW and I had an only child. Even when she brought a friend along, road trips were so much more pleasant.

My goodness, you must have been stacked like cordwood in there!!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

Today's sunrise is my last from a wierd combination in 2017:

Koningsdam Caribbean (primary to get out of winter before a major flight)

Crystal Serenity Buenos Aires to Rio

Iguazu

Zaandam Buenos Aires to San Diego

Carnival Inspiration getaway (my only visit to Santa Catalina)

and Crystal Symphony San Diego to New York.

On May 18 Symphony arrived in New York

dawn0518.jpg

Roy

• Like 28

Good morning.  Right now it is not raining, but it is cloudy and breezy.  However, rain is headed our way and will stay around through tomorrow.  As of yesterday, we'd received 3.2 inches of rain since Sunday morning.  

We drove to Montreal from Dover, NJ, in 1969 or 1970, when DH was in the army.  We cruised there in 2004 on the old Regal Princess b2b round trip from NYC.  I have a few pictures, and even fewer that @StLouisCruisers, Sandi did not post.  I'll not compete with her pictures of the cathedral.

As Montreal was a turnaround day, we had 2/1/2 days there, but were meeting friends, one of whom joined us for the return trip to NYC.  The other friend lived in St. Catharines, ON, and took the train to Montreal to see the three of us.   We did some sightseeing, including a city bus that made a loop with a stop at Mont Royal Parc overlooking the city.  The first afternoon, we wandered around the underground shopping mall.  The last day, which was a short one, we went out to the Olympic village.

These are some of my pictures as walk around and rode on the city bus.

IMG_3845.thumb.JPG.ec497fbd9dba50f53b5342b427764ee9.JPG

IMG_3846.thumb.JPG.f84513f5166a5abeb78c61c138671bd0.JPG

IMG_3847.thumb.JPG.b6e66a191ace0c5d703a7a134a91f5b0.JPG

IMG_3848.thumb.JPG.0c4f7a907a1d71433690b41963f3fc8e.JPG

IMG_3849.thumb.JPG.5ae9fd4a0f369e4fd80602c2b4bc54e0.JPG

IMG_3850.thumb.JPG.b6eb685b6db835c340b7781b3a5e4856.JPG

IMG_3855.thumb.JPG.cfe4690431066f59aff38019f6a7c99a.JPG

The view from Mont Royal Parc with the Olympic swimming venue in the background.

IMG_3857.thumb.JPG.f3c57499839fcd3e36173329c7525bb6.JPG

More of the fall colors

IMG_3859.thumb.JPG.dfc95c6dab0d84d67f7d921e6e795bc2.JPG

The swimming venue

IMG_3861.thumb.JPG.e522ad5d353d03447b32ec3f4c70385c.JPG

IMG_3863.thumb.JPG.80b6e86130bbcdb2b96386ff1f94bd2e.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collections of days.  Love museums and sure wish we could visit our relatives.  Hopefully that day will come.  Hate dirty dishes or dishes left soaking and the water turns cold.

BCF81B8E-E188-4506-857D-16A6114360D4.jpeg.a12414cde7792548de1f128dbfd9badd.jpeg

The above cartoon describes my youngest brother.  After making a total mess of the kitchen, he would pile his dishes in the sink, run water and put in soap and then disappear.   The next morning the dishes would still be sitting there in cold, greasy water.  I couldn't stand that.   No matter how late it is, I will not go to bed before all the dishes are done and put away.   I have to come down to a clean kitchen in the morning.   

• Like 14

I like to visit museums, but more on my own rather than on a tour.  We've been on too many tours where the guide thought he/she had to talk about almost everything in every display case.  After awhile, it became sensory overload. 

Since our older DD and DSIL visited us Sunday, and we are planning to visit them and younger DD and her SO in a couple of weeks, we can celebrate visit relatives day late and early.  There are not many relatives left to visit.  My parents and I were all only children, so I mainly have very distant cousins who I don't really know.

Over the years, I have learned if at all possible to clean as I cook.  That was not natural for me, but after my father commented that I was like my grandmother, a good cook, but very messy, I tried to learn to clean as I cooked.  I too like a clean kitchen in the morning, but for pans that have food burned on or stuck on, I will let them soak for a while as that makes washing them easy without undue scrubbing.  I also learned if there was an easy way and a hard way to do something, try the easy way first.   Also, the hand washed items are left to air dry, but a put away before bedtime.

Even being an only child with two DDs, I got the quote.  Erma was a wish woman, and I always liked her sayings.

We'll pass on the meal as we have ham and potato salad from Sunday to finish.  I have eaten beef stroganoff, but was never really fond of it.  What I've had was thin sliced beef, not ground beef.  I agree, it sounds like a homemade Hamburger Helper.

Lenda

• Like 13

Dinner tonight will be a bit rushed, because I have Zoom meetings at 5:00 p.m. and 7:30. I'm thinking of vegan sausage, broccoli, and glazed carrots. Beef stroganoff isn't in my repertoire unless I make it with tofu sour cream.

I emailed a nursery last night about plants that haven't arrived, and the reply this morning said that they were shipped yesterday. This is OK; I was starting to think that they had been lost in transit.

• Like 11

👍Thank You, Rich @richwmn and to Jacqui @kazu for both the Care and Celebration List.😊 Prayers for all in need and especially to Roy @rafinmd!🙏

I just love going to museums but at my own speed and with a audio guide.🎧

Yes, Montréal is a favorite (favourite)....🚗 all road trips for us. 🇨🇦 Great photos from other CC posters!!😉

Katie

20210518_080918.jpg

• Like 16

Good morning all!

I love visiting museums around the world, and like @Quartzsite CruiserI prefer seeing them without a tour. When we went to the Louvre we spent hours of our time in the Ancient Egypt section, something we couldn't have done on a tour.

Hate dirty dishes in the sink, love Erma Bombeck.  We will be celebrating visit your relatives tomorrow (not today) when we go see DD and the 2 GS tomorrow.  Also on Sunday there will be a family birthday party for 2 of the children in the family.  We're all fully vaccinated now, it will be a grand time!

We've been to Montreal on at least 2 cruises, I'll try not to duplicate any photos of the city already posted.  In 2012 we spent the day and night in Montreal before flying home after our FL-Montreal cruise. We got the bright idea of walking from our hotel to the top of Mont Royal and back to the hotel (we didn't know that little stroll would turn into 10 miles)!  Oh my feet hurt after that!  But we were 9 years younger than we are now, not sure we could even do it now!  It was a beautiful spring day and I'm glad we did it, we'll always have those memories.

On the uphill climb to Mont Royal

1244987691_UphilltoMontRoyal.thumb.jpg.3eca1d7563e7a775800f1077c7ec4d1b.jpg

This photo doesn't show it, but since it was a weekend there were lots of people walking, jogging, dogs and children all enjoying the beautiful park.

481048994_MontRoyal.jpg.aec05b2c44ad50df17d976037548b94b.jpg

Beautiful spring blossoms on the trees

814944024_Springblossoms.thumb.jpg.5474bae4e3e9e5dcaa51bd43fb7bed84.jpg

Finally, the view!  Very much worth the effort!

1203225273_Viewfromtop.thumb.jpg.4244c7c956536bc4d6a678b8181566a1.jpg

And finally, the moon over Montreal

141655010_MoonoverMontreal.thumb.jpg.427ee19fe40e9ab4122c017d61576347.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

For us in the Pacific NW, today is a day of remembrance.  41 years ago today Mt. St Helens blew its top.  We had a little rain here last night, and are expecting some later this afternoon.  We need it after more than a week of sunshine.

Concerning museums:  I wonder if most people are like us.  Love to visit them and similar attractions when travelling, but seldom visit the ones at home.  For example, I have enjoyed the aquarium in Singapore and Yokohama, but have never visited the one in Seattle.  Visited the zoo in Sydney, but not the one in Seattle for more than 40 years.

• Like 19

While it’s not a museum, I would love getting the headphones, recorder and printed list. Then going around on my BHBs and exploring all of the antiques on board. A couple happy hours were spent looking at all of the artwork and antiques in the different displays. Even though they don’t have a recording any more they still have the printed lists. I’m ready to do that again.  

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

For us in the Pacific NW, today is a day of remembrance.  41 years ago today Mt. St Helens blew its top.

Yes!  Although I'm a native of WA (born in Bellingham) we were living in Portland, OR at the time.  We didn't get ash that time, but did on subsequent eruptions later.

It's also the anniversary of the date DH and I met 53 years ago.

• Like 13

Back from voting . Our polls opened at 7am, I was number 2 at 9 am😱

Just wanted to give a heads up about HAL final payment date . For any sailing departing thru September 30 , 2021 it had been changed to 60 DAYS. 
      I found out yesterday when I asked my agent why my Rotterdam booking was still active, when it should have canceled after 5/13

She was never notified of the change. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes!  Although I'm a native of WA (born in Bellingham) we were living in Portland, OR at the time.  We didn't get ash that time, but did on subsequent eruptions later.

It's also the anniversary of the date DH and I met 53 years ago.

I was living in McMinnville, OR, then. While I didn't see the first eruption, or any of its ash, a later one was on a clear day and I could see it from McMinnville,  ~85 miles away. I was also in Portland during one, for a reading by Margaret Atwood, that took place during rain. The wet ash formed up on my car almost like concrete.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Concerning museums:  I wonder if most people are like us.  Love to visit them and similar attractions when travelling, but seldom visit the ones at home.  For example, I have enjoyed the aquarium in Singapore and Yokohama, but have never visited the one in Seattle.  Visited the zoo in Sydney, but not the one in Seattle for more than 40 years.

I think that is typical of most people.  It could be they think they'll get around to seeing their home area and attractions some day, but know they may not get back to see the ones in their travels.  

The first time we noticed this was when we were moving from Texas to Delaware in 1974.  DH was there on business and stayed over the weekend to look at houses with friends who'd  lived in Delaware for 20 or so years.  He wound up driving because they really did not know the Wilmington-Newark area.  And Delaware is not that big!.

We may be a little atypical, as we have seen quite a few of the major attractions in Texas, but that was either to show our DDs or our parents showing us the sights.  It took us about 50 years after the fact to visit the School Book Depository in Dallas.  The floor where Lee Harvey Oswald fired the rifle is now a museum.  It was interesting and brought back memories of what we were doing on November 22, 1963.

Lenda

• Like 13

Good morning all, and thanks for all the interesting posts.  We lived in Montreal for 3 years, and also visited on a cruise, my photos are much like the others.  So I will post a few shots of the Mount St. Helens area which we visited in 2007 - it was beginning to recover, but mainly just scrub around.  We saw a few chipmunks.

P1010857.thumb.JPG.6612380cecf1a952590b9ec368142120.JPG

IMGP2404.thumb.JPG.fca26e9b145e9eabead777c764d12fb9.JPG

P1010871.thumb.JPG.51c769d7c7fb6b0a7d7037e04d8aff96.JPG

IMGP2409.thumb.JPG.f57b113fb3dcde6eeb6118350bc3e583.JPG

Spirit Lake

P1010877.thumb.JPG.08e8259dc9c9d84163c91dff66b1b7d5.JPG

• Like 22

The only time I was in Montreal was for family road trip to visit Expo '67. Mom and dad and three kids in a Chevy Impala (so I also get the Bombek quote!).  

We drove from our cottage in the Kawarthas (Peterborough, Ontario in essence) so it wasn't too long of a trip. I know we have pictures but they are all prints or slides packed away in the basement. My dad was a very good photographer and taught me a lot. We even had a darkroom (B&W) when I was in high school (Avonworth, in the north suburbs of Pittsburgh) and was a yearbook/school newspaper photographer. 

I need to organize all the old family pictures someday, but there are a lot of them! Maybe this winter.....

• Like 14

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY TUESDAY TO ALL ON THE DAILY!

🛳🛳🛳🛳Thank you to Rich for the maps! See The Koningsdam 

will be in port of San Diego tomorrow and we plan to be downtown and go look at her!

🥁🥁🥁🥁DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

LIKE SO MANY OF YOU IN THE PAST WE ARE VENTURING OUT TO LOOK AT WASHER AND DRYERS 😳(LOL)

🌴Have a great day all! I did my last painting before we left Maui and we placed it in the den. Right now I am painted out 😞I will put my easel up again this summer!image.jpeg.80a53423bdbf3a1ea2199c3c379a7e3f.jpeg

Denise😊

❤️Love to my sisters!

• Like 26