Virtuosa maiden voyage

Stu UK

4 hours ago, stuart2468 said:

For anyone booked on Virtuosa UK sailings, it may be worth checking if you can get a discount applied.

We are booked sailing 10/07/21. We booked a bella Inside.

We just upgraded to a Bella Balcony for £38 each. Cheaper than the bid up email!!!!

Not entirely sure how, but I noticed the sailings had gone into the Voyagers Section as 5+10% offer, and wanted to upgrade to an outside for the same price we were currently paying. Lovely lady at MSC said this wasn't possible, but because there are various discounts on the sailing, she could apply a £249 refund, to either my card or as onboard credit. 

Great I thought..... so asked about the upgrade cost to a balcony. which I was quoted as £77 total above what I'd already paid. (£1708)

Had I have bid for an upgrade via the email, then I would have had to bid £130pp minimum.

I noticed that our sailing is now under the 5+5% discount and €50 per person OBC. I emailed my ta on Monday who has emailed MSC. Still waiting for a response from MSC. Our cruise is in 2 weeks so paid for in full.

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

2nd show at 9.30pm

They were 6.30 and 8.30 last week - people complained no time to eat in MDR at 6.00pm and get to theatre for 8.30pm. 

They moved all shows back 1hr.

All they need now is to move Rikki Jay and Soul Sisters to 3 years later lol

1 show from each is enough. 

How long do the shows last? We prefer to eat later so wondering if we will have time for a 7.30 show before dinner.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, kernow said:

How long do the shows last? We prefer to eat later so wondering if we will have time for a 7.30 show before dinner.

Thanks

the theatre shows never usually last more than 45 mins in our experience . 
We like early dinner then show .

@Stu UK, thank you so so much for posting all the photos and PDFs which I have downloaded but you have upset me tonight , 😔 😆

I noticed that individual drinks prices have been hiked in the menus but what upset me is that in Butcher’s cut there isn’t a single wine by the glass that is covered by the Premium drinks package ! In the past there has been , so annoyed with that . We do not need to upgrade the package as there are plenty of drinks covered by the Premium for us to enjoy but I do like a glass of red when having a steak . Looks like I might have to do my own carry in and look cheap 😂

Edited by heatherb1958

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

@Stu UK, thank you so so much for posting all the photos and PDFs which I have downloaded but you have upset me tonight , 😔 😆

I noticed that individual drinks prices have been hiked in the menus but what upset me is that in Butcher’s cut there isn’t a single wine by the glass that is covered by the Premium drinks package ! In the past there has been , so annoyed with that . We do not need to upgrade the package as there are plenty of drinks covered by the Premium for us to enjoy but I do like a glass of red when having a steak . Looks like I might have to do my own carry in and look cheap 😂

If your waiter says they can't get the wine you want, then excuse yourself and make your move to the nearest bar.....they will go get it for you, trust me, they don't want anyone to see that they are not serving you properly!

• Like 1

Usually MSC shows will last 35-45 minutes. Captain's day gala shows can go around 50-60 minutes, but that depends on the Captain's availability to make such a dance or sing or something part of the show. I've had it all, from nothing special to spectacular Captain Giuseppe Maresca JR whom usually plays the piano, goes to dance with an old lady he picks from the guests, etc. Wonderful memories!...

10 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

I noticed that individual drinks prices have been hiked in the menus but what upset me is that in Butcher’s cut there isn’t a single wine by the glass that is covered by the Premium drinks package ! 

I also noticed the price increases, especially compared to the cruise I took on MSC Seaside at the start of May that also had all new menus.   It looks like MSC are using an EUR1 to GBP1 exchange rate, with a couple of other specific increases.

Drink prices do seem to be somewhat extreme in many cases. £9 for a beer makes London pub prices look cheap (my local in East London is £5.60 a pint). Now I'd expect a bit of a premium for a drink on the cruise but near double what is already expensive prices in London?

29 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Drink prices do seem to be somewhat extreme in many cases. £9 for a beer makes London pub prices look cheap (my local in East London is £5.60 a pint). Now I'd expect a bit of a premium for a drink on the cruise but near double what is already expensive prices in London?

Does the 'all inclusive' drinks package not cover these as part of the cruise fare ?

1 minute ago, swoopy2110 said:

Does the 'all inclusive' drinks package not cover these as part of the cruise fare ?

Yes it does - However normally that is quite an expensive add on for a long cruise if you only want the odd drink. MSC drink prices were never this high before from looking at 2019 menus.

2 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Yes it does - However normally that is quite an expensive add on for a long cruise if you only want the odd drink. MSC drink prices were never this high before from looking at 2019 menus.

ah! Gotcha. Maybe they've just upped them to make it look like you're getting a great deal.

19 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

I guess they also didn't have over a years worth of stationary ships and non revenue generation to make up for before though.

45 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

ah! Gotcha. Maybe they've just upped them to make it look like you're getting a great deal.

I think you are right, as It's the first time they are using £ 

Bottle of beer.   £8.    😁 

The sailings are only sold with an inclusive package with a £10 per drink price cap on Premium Package  

Edited by LifeonMars

10 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Thanks for your ongoing thread so far.

I'm seriously considering booking on one of the UK "seacations" this summer. Unsure whether to book on the MSC Magnifica or the Celebrity Silhouette though. Help!

Celebrity are requesting a  PCR Test  within 72 hours to  check in I believe, 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/uk-travel-requirements

Edited by LifeonMars

Just now, LifeonMars said:

Celebrity are requesting a  PCR Test 72 hours prior to check in I believe, 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/uk-travel-requirements

So I saw this morning. Seems crazy when they are only having fully vaccinated pax. Given that I live on the Isle of Man that will complicate things! MSC seems like the winner to me.

18 minutes ago, JP82 said:

I guess they also didn't have over a years worth of stationary ships and non revenue generation to make up for before though.

Yup exactly - its clear how they plan to pay back some of that debt! I don't think drink prices in my local pub have gone up quite as much though (£5 to £5.50 maybe?) and they've also been closed for a long time.

3 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Yup exactly - its clear how they plan to pay back some of that debt! I don't think drink prices in my local pub have gone up quite as much though (£5 to £5.50 maybe?) and they've also been closed for a long time.

But MSC will be looking at their (I would imagine) huge overheads, and that captive audience once they're aboard, and pushing the limit as far as they can.

I'm not mad at it, and all the more reason for the drinks package!!!

24 minutes ago, JP82 said:

The prices are UK specific - here is a comparison to MSC Seaside (also with new menu's) from May 2021:

Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial
£23 on Virtuosa vs €18 on Seaside (£15.54 at todays exchange rate)

Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial
£20 on Virtuosa vs €16 on Seaside

Veuve Clicquot Rich Rosé
£23 on Virtuosa vs €18 on Seaside

Veuve Clicquot Rich Brut

£21 on Virtuosa vs €17 on Seaside

Of course with everyone having the premium drinks package on Virtuosa I'm not sure it really is a problem.  It makes the premium plus upgrade more attractive.

• Like 1

As others have said, I think the higher prices are to encourage more people to pay the premium plus upgrade. I don't blame them at all, while we're perfectly happy with the drinks already included many will pay the (reasonable) price to upgrade. Another thing to consider is that on these UK cruises the passenger numbers are very low so they won't be selling anywhere near as much as normal onboard.

• Like 3

The MSC app on board shows you what you would have spent if you had been buying the drinks ( that are wiped out by having the packages).... some frightening daily totals!!

On another note: is the aft elephant pool for adults only please? 

2 hours ago, little britain said:

The MSC app on board shows you what you would have spent if you had been buying the drinks ( that are wiped out by having the packages).... some frightening daily totals!!

Competition time 😂😂

Highest average per day spend 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Thanks for your ongoing thread so far.

I'm seriously considering booking on one of the UK "seacations" this summer. Unsure whether to book on the MSC Magnifica or the Celebrity Silhouette though. Help!

It's the MSC Virtuosa doing the UK seacations, not the Mgnifica. Brand new lovely ship!