Back to Back Cruises from different ports?

Hi All,

I have a cruise on Oasis that ends in Miami on a Saturday.  I was thinking of disembarking, immediately driving up to Port Canaveral and embarking on a cruise on Harmony starting that same Saturday.  My TA says its very risky due to the timing.  I am wondering what the forum thinks?  If it matters, I will be in Star Class on both ships and cruise number 2 is kind of a "Christmas" cruise in that it ends on Christmas day.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How would you get a car?  Would you have to rent one?  Or would you have one already parked at the port?

I would rent one or have a driver take us.  I have Hertz Platinum status so in theory, they will actually bring the rental car to me if I request they do that.

Just now, jgoodm said:

I would rent one or have a driver take us.  I have Hertz Platinum status so in theory, they will actually bring the rental car to me if I request they do that.

I wouldn't do it if renting a car.  What if they aren't there with the rental car in a timely manner?  What happens with the car at the destination?  Does somebody come pick it up from you at the port?  It just seems like a lot of unknowns.

It's about a 3 hour drive, so it's possible, if there's no traffic issues.  You'd probably have to do self-disembark so you can make sure you are off as early as possible.

Whats the latest time to board the cruise at Port Canaveral?  I assume my Genie can see to it that I am near the first one off the ship in Miami if need be.  I know the drive is about 3 hours, but the unknowns for me are, how long can it take on a bad traffic day for that drive and whats the latest time to show up for the  new cruise?  In the past I have always tried to be first on-board so the kids can start enjoying the slides immediately so I don't even know how late you can get there...

48 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

Hi All,

I have a cruise on Oasis that ends in Miami on a Saturday.  I was thinking of disembarking, immediately driving up to Port Canaveral and embarking on a cruise on Harmony starting that same Saturday.  My TA says its very risky due to the timing.  I am wondering what the forum thinks?  If it matters, I will be in Star Class on both ships and cruise number 2 is kind of a "Christmas" cruise in that it ends on Christmas day.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

It’s definitely possible but you might want to check your days and dates.  Both Harmony and Oasis depart and arrive in Sunday’s and the Harmony will arrive back at PC on the 26th.  

Royal doesn’t have any ships embarking on Dec 25th. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

16 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

know the drive is about 3 hours, but the unknowns for me are, how long can it take on a bad traffic day for that drive and whats the latest time to show up for the  new cruise

It’s Sunday, traffic is negligible. 

if your off the ship at 9 you’ll be there by 1:00 latest.  Or, if you left earlier you could be in PC before  boarding started. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s Sunday, traffic is negligible. 

if your off the ship at 9 you’ll be there by 1:00 latest.  Or, if you left earlier you could be in PC before  boarding started. 

How do you edit these?  I see you did and would like to correct my original question...  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

How do you edit these?  I see you did and would like to correct my original question...  Thanks.

Hit the 3 little dots in the upper right part of the post. 

you are too late now.  You only have about 20 minutes to edit. 

EA92D139-248B-4E4D-88BD-643A6B7CA895.jpeg

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hit the 3 little dots in the upper right part of the post. 

EA92D139-248B-4E4D-88BD-643A6B7CA895.jpeg

Oh, interesting, it appears you can edit comments but not the initial post of the thread...  Thanks.

1 minute ago, jgoodm said:

Oh, interesting, it appears you can edit comments but not the initial post of the thread...  Thanks.

It’s time sensitive.  You have about 20 minutes which is why you can’t edit your original post. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

It's a long drive. I wouldn't do it. FLL and Miami sure, but we drove from Disney World to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise and it was a long drive even with taking the toll roads. For me personally, it would be far preferable to do a B2B on the same ship or from a nearby port. :classic_smile:

We did actually fly from FLL to Orlando on that trip, because it was inexpensive and we had award tickets from MCO to the west coast. But it was before 9/11. 

Edited by Coralc

Easy. I live 17 miles south of PC beachside. 
In Ft. Lauderdale, I park offsite and I’m home before 11:00. In Miami, I park at the port and I’m home by 11:30. 
If you are in Star Class, you will have the opportunity to be first off the ship. 

Since it’s Miami, I would hire a driver. 

If it was Fort Lauderdale, I would say go to the airport and pick up your rental car. The Fort Lauderdale airport is very close to the port. 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

How about Brightline? That should be done next year.

I don't know what Brightline is? :classic_smile: I haven't been keeping up since we live on the other coast. A train? :classic_biggrin: That would be nice to make a combo trip. 

Just now, Coralc said:

I don't know what Brightline is?

Train, which began operating between Miami, FLL and Palm Beach in early 2018 and are extending the line to Cocoa (station not confirmed) and Orlando.

• Thanks 1

Take an Uber/taxi from Port of Miami to the airport to pick up from Hertz.  The downtown Hertz location is just not good.  They often do not have vehicles.

Once at Port Canaveral drop off your luggage AND other travelers.  Return the car just by yourself, and shuttle or cab back to the port.

The closest rental near PC used to be National/Alamo. Within two blocks (walking distance) to the terminal. Before pandemic. With extremely limited or no business for over a year they may be closed. If you have to go to MIA to pick up a car, it might be better to check to see if the National is still open. 

We've done Miami b2b with FLL and we met a couple on  PC cruise who was doing a b2b from FLL. It can be done but make sure you use a gps or Waze in case there's an accident that day. I bought a gps with traffic years ago. I know where the ports are but not necessarily where the detours might be.