Is a visa needed for Canada cruise?

bjenk

Cruised to Canada 2019 with Princess and didn't have to get a separate visa-just filled out a form onboard. However, TA says visa is needed for Canada with

P&O Arcadia. Is this correct? 

4 minutes ago, bjenk said:

Cruised to Canada 2019 with Princess and didn't have to get a separate visa-just filled out a form onboard. However, TA says visa is needed for Canada with

This information should help Link

It seems to suggest it is not required.

Edited by MX-Drew

We needed an ETA last time we went, worked out at around £4. There was quite a bit of confusion as to whether you needed one just for a cruise, we had a stay and cruise and definitely needed one. 

Official eTA Canada Application For British Citizens

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bjenk said:

We sailed from the UK to Canada about four years ago and definitely not needed then, though as you said I am pretty sure there were forms to fill in on the ship pre arrival.  It seems it may be a requirement if you arrive by air though.

Could have changed so always best to check the FOCD website for current situation regards Visa's etc.  That is if you are from the UK, which I am assuming you are.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

I did Alaska in 2019 but flew to Seattle on the way out, then cruised from Whittier, Ak, to Vancouver. Everything I read suggested you didn't need a visa if arriving by sea. Whilst a visa wasn't officially required, I chose to get one just in case anything unexpected happened to change things. As Yorkshire Phil said, it is not expensive and was easy to do online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I did Alaska in 2019 but flew to Seattle on the way out, then cruised from Whittier, Ak, to Vancouver. Everything I read suggested you didn't need a visa if arriving by sea. Whilst a visa wasn't officially required, I chose to get one just in case anything unexpected happened to change things. As Yorkshire Phil said, it is not expensive and was easy to do online.

We holidayed to Canada and cruised to Alaska. The eTA was very cheap and lasted 3 years. If a situation occured that meant you needed to stay in Canada, why not get it.?.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We holidayed to Canada and cruised to Alaska. The eTA was very cheap and lasted 3 years. If a situation occured that meant you needed to stay in Canada, why not get it.?.

The current ETA lasts 5 years. For us it wasn't worth the risk of not having it, and covid hadn't reared its ugly head when we went. So indeed why not get it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The current ETA lasts 5 years. For us it wasn't worth the risk of not having it, and covid hadn't reared its ugly head when we went. So indeed why not get it.

Ours would have been ok for this year, but that was all cancelled. We hope to book for next year but will wait til after Christmas. The visa would have expired again. Bother. Another few dollars to lash out. When you fly to Canada, do a tour and then cruise Celebrity to Alaska, every penny counts.🤣

Edited by zap99

On 5/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, jeanlyon said:

Yes you now need an ETA for Canada, and by the looks of today's news, the UK is now bringing in the same for our borders.

I had forgotten that now need a ETA for Canada, when we flew out to see friends in 2008 we didn’t need one, we are thinking of going again next year, so something to add to list. 

Not surprising that U.K. is looking at bringing one in after all we were one of the supporters in 2016 of the proposals for the ETIAS system the EU are launching next year. 

About time too.  Should have done it years ago.  I also agree with ID cards.  Cannot believe how many people are against them.  I emigrated to Canada in 1967 and got my ID card.  It was so useful.

• Like 1