Virgin Atlantic Economy vs. other Economy comments please

nini

At one time, I believe I read that someone commented that they would rather

be on Virgin Economy versus any other airline's economy.

With the increase in air tickets, we are considering booking economy with

Virgin Atlantic for next year. We can get it on one way over to London but not

on the return flight.

Thanks!

We flew Virgin in standard economy pre-pandemic on their daytime flight JFK-LHR.   Plane was full.  We had 2 seats together on the right side of the plane.   Video screen was very difficult to see during the daytime.   Having flown other airlines in economy on daytime return flights from Europe, I did not feel Virgin had an advantage over any of those.   

Of course, if you are considering whatever is their premium economy, that could make a difference.    I am sure you can find a number of reviews with a quick online search.

In economy I don't think that Virgin is much different to any other operator on the Atlantic route. Given the relatively short flight time to the East Coast, I would choose whichever airline is cheapest.   

Given the choice of PE however, Virgin is, imho, far superior to the BA equivalent ( and you dont pay for seat selection).  

You might want to keep your eyes on Jet Blue, who are meant to be starting TA flights in the near future, but I'm not sure if they will be operating out of Washington. 

Edited by wowzz

Yeah, flying from the farthest point in WA State really adds time to the flight!

Thanks for the tip on Virgin vs. BA. We try to go through the cruise line and I have not yet

seen Jet Blue as an option.

23 hours ago, nini said:

I believe I read that someone commented that they would rather

be on Virgin Economy versus any other airline's economy.

You will always find a fan regardless of airline.  It could be they are long time FF's or have only experienced a single carrier.

For me, the number one concern is space in my seat.  Sites like Seat Guru provide a general comparison of products.  

Remember, some of the American carries offer seats with more space.  I am not sure if other carriers provide something similar.  This is different than paying for "premium economy" which is really a different offering.

https://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_economy.php

Probably your most important dimension is seat width.  For example, some carriers put 9 across on a 777 while others put 10.  United Airlines does both, so some of their 777s are more comfortable than others.  Same with other aircraft and airlines.

So, even comments about one airline vs another need to be checked with a fine-tooth comb.

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Probably your most important dimension is seat width.  For example, some carriers put 9 across on a 777 while others put 10.  United Airlines does both, so some of their 777s are more comfortable than others.  Same with other aircraft and airlines.

So, even comments about one airline vs another need to be checked with a fine-tooth comb.

So true about seat width. Thanks, FlyerTalker.

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Nini, I flew Premium Economy on Virgin Atlantic.  LHR-JFK.  I would say the seat is like flying Delta First Class on a 757.  

Good to know! Thanks for your "report".