Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

Hello I would be grateful if anyone could help me with my query.

I am hoping to book the 18th September 2021 Silhouette cruise, balcony cabin.

In the past I have always booked  flights/transfers through Celebrity but they aren't doing them so no shuttle bus from Heathrow.

The  only bus I can book from Heathrow doesn't get to Southampton until 14.10. Will that be ok for getting on the cruise ship, does it matter if I am a bit late perhaps for my slot?

Thank you in advance.

29 minutes ago, KaryEstelle said:

In the past I have always booked  flights/transfers through Celebrity but they aren't doing them so no shuttle bus from Heathrow.

The  only bus I can book from Heathrow doesn't get to Southampton until 14.10. Will that be ok for getting on the cruise ship, does it matter if I am a bit late perhaps for my slot?

Thank you in advance.

Last boarding is usually at 4pm. This assumes a 5.30pm departure. 

Where are you flying from? 

Can you fly to Southampton. This does have several flights.

The other option is to fly the day before. Personally I would never fly the same day. Too many elements that could go wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaryEstelle said:

Thank you in advance.

Not something we would risk come the day before. 

If you are looking to fly on the day of the cruise as you have no other option then you’ll have to give yourself at least 3 hours between landing and getting to the port. And that’s assuming everything works like clockwork which it never does.

I’ve had a quick google of your situation for your sailing day and a private transfer (£120) is probably the quickest.

Your best option is to do the same. If the professionals on here, who know everything and have done this before, get more details of where you’re flying from (do you have to fly) and at what time then you’ll get many more options of how to proceed.

Good luck but needless to say the comments about flying the day before are correct!

3 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

If you are looking to fly on the day of the cruise as you have no other option then you’ll have to give yourself at least 3 hours between landing and getting to the port. And that’s assuming everything works like clockwork which it never does.

I’ve had a quick google of your situation for your sailing day and a private transfer (£120) is probably the quickest.

Your best option is to do the same. If the professionals on here, who know everything and have done this before, get more details of where you’re flying from (do you have to fly) and at what time then you’ll get many more options of how to proceed.

Good luck but needless to say the comments about flying the day before are correct!

None of us know everything, that's the beauty of the Roll Calls. Lots of advice, tips, support and good honest disagreements. Keep cruising and keep contibuting

• Like 4

I would not wish to be travelling down the M3 on a Saturday in a rush to the port. I live in Southampton and avold the M3 Southbound on a Saturday or Friday evening as folk travel down to access the the South West. Likewise travelling North on a Sunday afternoon.

Unfortunately the demise of FlyBe has reduced the Southampton flights. Mind they were not the most reliable airline.

I would fly on the Friday and  stay at Heathrow if a late flight or try getting down to Southampton. A late Friday flight maybe much cheaper than a Saturday flight. Possibly even an airport hotel by a local airport that has early flights.

I have travelled on the day of the cruise but that was a Marella charter cruise and an Airtours cruise from Jamaica back in the 90s. I imagine the ship would not have sailed as half the passengers were on the flights.

See you on the cruise. The Roll Call is getting busy

• Like 1

Although only a 2 hour and a bit drive away we always travel to our departure point the night before, whether it’s flying from Heathrow or sailing from Southampton. 

Indeed if we’re leaving from Fort Lauderdale then we travel to Heathrow the night before the night before so that we are in Florida the day before we cruise.

Adds to the cost, but it’s all part of the holiday. See you on board (or in the hotel the night before!).

• Like 1

Driving on the M25 and then the M3 on the day of sailing is not my idea of a stress free holiday start.

We too are just 2 hours from Southampton, but have always booked a hotel close to Southampton the night before.

We drove back from Heathrow on Sunday afternoon and the driving conditions in the rain were not nice. The forecast for this Saturday when we sail is uncertain too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, isdoo said:

Last boarding is usually at 4pm. This assumes a 5.30pm departure. 

Where are you flying from? 

Can you fly to Southampton. This does have several flights.

The other option is to fly the day before. Personally I would never fly the same day. Too many elements that could go wrong. 

Hello I'm flying from Aberdeen, I would have to change at Manchester Airport. Last time I went on holiday the airline lost my suitcase so I wanted to avoid two flights. I think going down the night before would be my best option. Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. I coudn't get through on the Celebrity phone number.

• Like 2

We are booked on the 18th September cruise, you may  not be aware that its the week of the Southampton Boat Show, so traffic etc., will probably be worse than usual.  I believe the show is on until the 19th September.  We live in Wales and decided to book a hotel and drive down two days before.  We have always driven down one or two days prior to sailing, and on numerous occasions have hit delays.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NanWales said:

We are booked on the 18th September cruise, you may  not be aware that its the week of the Southampton Boat Show, so traffic etc., will probably be worse than usual.  I believe the show is on until the 19th September.  We live in Wales and decided to book a hotel and drive down two days before.  We have always driven down one or two days prior to sailing, and on numerous occasions have hit delays.

Thank you so much, I am definitely going to stay overnight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KaryEstelle said:

Thank you so much, I am definitely going to stay overnight.

I think that is really wise! Good decision.

As others have said, trying to get there on the day of sailing can be very stressful, and you are completely stuffed if something goes wrong.

2 hours ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

Although only a 2 hour and a bit drive away we always travel to our departure point the night before, whether it’s flying from Heathrow or sailing from Southampton. 

Indeed if we’re leaving from Fort Lauderdale then we travel to Heathrow the night before the night before so that we are in Florida the day before we cruise.

Adds to the cost, but it’s all part of the holiday. See you on board (or in the hotel the night before!).

Thank you for your reply, I do think it will be less stressful for me staying the night before. 

• Like 1

Just now, talljules1 said:

I think that is really wise! Good decision.

As others have said, trying to get there on the day of sailing can be very stressful, and you are completely stuffed if something goes wrong.

Thank you. This is a great site, has really helped me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KaryEstelle said:

Hello I'm flying from Aberdeen, I would have to change at Manchester Airport. Last time I went on holiday the airline lost my suitcase so I wanted to avoid two flights. I think going down the night before would be my best option. Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. I coudn't get through on the Celebrity phone number.

I would never do that the same day. 

For us, our holiday always starts when we walk out of the front door. Not when we are on the ship or at the hotel in another country. 

So for our cruise we actually have 2 nights in Southampton, although normally it would be just the one. And we only have a 2 hour drive! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, delondin said:

My reading of this is that the Pcr test needs to be done before you get to the port, then they will have a antigen test at the terminal as well. 

Can someone please help? My daughter is 15 and I have booked via eurofins 2 weeks ago for her antigen test at the terminal on the day of embarkation.  Now she needs a pcr test. Went on her eurofins site and I cannot book a pcr test for her. Not sure what to do? Should she just come along with me when I get tested or what? Everything is just getting so stressful.  Thanks

20 minutes ago, American_in_York said:

Can someone please help? My daughter is 15 and I have booked via eurofins 2 weeks ago for her antigen test at the terminal on the day of embarkation.  Now she needs a pcr test. Went on her eurofins site and I cannot book a pcr test for her. Not sure what to do? Should she just come along with me when I get tested or what? Everything is just getting so stressful.  Thanks

First of all, don't stress. 

Either call Eurofin or Celebrity will do it for you. If you are not getting anywhere send a direct message to Celebrity UK via Facebook or Twitter. 

23 minutes ago, American_in_York said:

We’re in the same situation - can’t get through to Celebrity on the phone. Eurofins won’t let us book advance tests for under 18s. Seems like they haven’t been communicating with Celebrity. We’ve also had two slightly different and contradictory emails from Celebrity about the new testing requirements but no detail on how to book them

2 minutes ago, isdoo said:

First of all, don't stress. 

Either call Eurofin or Celebrity will do it for you. If you are not getting anywhere send a direct message to Celebrity UK via Facebook or Twitter. 

Also had no reply to DMs -  the issue is that it looks like 3 tests are required. May be able to combine one with ours (although there are no available slots now), a second the day before and a third at the terminal. But that’s just how I read a rather confusing email