Port of Dublin

I haven’t heard/read this.  I follow RTE and a few other Ireland  news  sources as we have a land trip for August.  News did break today, however, that non essential international travel will resume from 19 of July.  But, many details still unclear.  Hopes this will include US Citizens.  The restrictions in the CTA between the U.K. and Ireland are still in effect due to rise in the U.K. of the Indian Variants. 

Haven’t  heard anything about the port, though.  Maybe locals can comment. 

• 4 weeks later...

It opened for me. It is due to an increase in cargo post-Brexit. Ships under 200m will be able to berth at one particular location, but others not at all it seems.

There had been an announcement in 2019 about reducing access by limiting cruise liners to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday sailings. This is an additional change from that.

Here is a quote from the article:

However, Dublin Port said in a statement that there is currently a ban on cruise ships because of Covid-19 and berths are needed because of an "enormous shift of cargo".

The figures for the first three months showed that cargo on continental routes were up by just under 18% and berths that had been used for cruise ships were needed for these.

"Additionally Dublin Port has lost 14.6 hectares of land to State services to enable the processing of post-Brexit goods. This places increased demand on the use of land at Ocean Pier and every other available space."

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

It opened for me. It is due to an increase in cargo post-Brexit. Ships under 200m will be able to berth at one particular location, but others not at all it seems.

There had been an announcement in 2019 about reducing access by limiting cruise liners to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday sailings. This is an additional change from that.

Here is a quote from the article:

However, Dublin Port said in a statement that there is currently a ban on cruise ships because of Covid-19 and berths are needed because of an "enormous shift of cargo".

The figures for the first three months showed that cargo on continental routes were up by just under 18% and berths that had been used for cruise ships were needed for these.

"Additionally Dublin Port has lost 14.6 hectares of land to State services to enable the processing of post-Brexit goods. This places increased demand on the use of land at Ocean Pier and every other available space."

AHh thanks. Seems like it's more of a Brexit thing than anything else, though COVID played a role as well. 

It does make me wonder logistically how it all works and why Brexit made such a shift.

6 hours ago, sergel02 said:

It does make me wonder logistically how it all works and why Brexit made such a shift.

A lot of freight into Ireland from Europe used the 'Landbridge' route.  This means that trucks would get a ferry from France/Belgium and sail to the UK, then drive to another UK port on West Coast (Fishguard, Rosslare etc) and take the short ferry sailing across to Ireland.  This save time and money for the freight companies as it was quicker and more economical.  Europe, UK and Ireland were all in EU and in the one customs union.

Now, however, the UK is a 'third country' and trucks need to clear customs on entering UK from France & Belgium and there are further customs formalities when the trucks arrive in Ireland.

This has led to an increase in the number of shipping lines sailing direct from Spain, France, Belgium etc to & from Ireland and an increase in the number of sailings.  And here is the problem for cruisers - the ship size from Europe is larger than the ferries that ran between UK and Ireland and they need more infrastructure.  These sailings do not need customs clearance as they are within the European Union.

Here endeth the first lesson in post Brexit economics from an Irish/EU viewpoint. 😭

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

A lot of freight into Ireland from Europe used the 'Landbridge' route.  This means that trucks would get a ferry from France/Belgium and sail to the UK, then drive to another UK port on West Coast (Fishguard, Rosslare etc) and take the short ferry sailing across to Ireland.  This save time and money for the freight companies as it was quicker and more economical.  Europe, UK and Ireland were all in EU and in the one customs union.

Now, however, the UK is a 'third country' and trucks need to clear customs on entering UK from France & Belgium and there are further customs formalities when the trucks arrive in Ireland.

This has led to an increase in the number of shipping lines sailing direct from Spain, France, Belgium etc to & from Ireland and an increase in the number of sailings.  And here is the problem for cruisers - the ship size from Europe is larger than the ferries that ran between UK and Ireland and they need more infrastructure.  These sailings do not need customs clearance as they are within the European Union.

Here endeth the first lesson in post Brexit economics from an Irish/EU viewpoint. 😭

Thanks so much! That helps explain to someone like me who’s not sure how intricate the economics of the region work. It’s interesting to see how much Brexit changes things not just for the UK but all of Europe.

2 hours ago, HawaiiUK said:

I'm on an NCL cruise in Sept 22, and have just been informed our Dublin stopped has been moved down the road to Dun Laoghaire. Not a huge inconvenience (I hope!)

Not a huge inconvenience, but not insignificant either! 

Dun Laoghaire is a suburb (previously a small village,  but now consumed by the urban spread of Dublin city) on the south side of Dublin centre.  It is a tender port, so disembarking will be slower.  Also it is quite a way out of the centre so you will need transport to get into Book of Kells, Trinity College, Guinness Store House, etc.  There is a rail station close to where the tenders disembark cruisers that will take you into the centre, but be aware that the trains can be very crowded (pre- covid) with standing room only in the morning rush from 8am to 9.30 am and again from 4pm onwards (just when you want to be returning to the ship).

It's a long time to September 22, so work on what you want to see in Dublin.  Are you going to take a NCL tour or are you going to DIY?  Come back when you have some thoughts about where you want to go and how long you have to do it.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, HawaiiUK said:

I'm on an NCL cruise in Sept 22, and have just been informed our Dublin stopped has been moved down the road to Dun Laoghaire. Not a huge inconvenience (I hope!)

Are you going THIS September? Please keep us informed. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, HawaiiUK said:

Thank you. Actually, when I looked at the itinerary map for our cruise, It has Dun Laoghaire in parenthesis.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, nini said:

Thank you. Actually, when I looked at the itinerary map for our cruise, It has Dun Laoghaire in parenthesis.

Sounds like you'll be there before us. I'm certainly hoping that 14 months from now things will have quietened down a lot!

At the moment my thinking is to do a HOHO bus tour, but I won't start seriously thinking about what to do until after this year's holiday / nearer Christmas time.

12 hours ago, HawaiiUK said:

Sounds like you'll be there before us. I'm certainly hoping that 14 months from now things will have quietened down a lot!

At the moment my thinking is to do a HOHO bus tour, but I won't start seriously thinking about what to do until after this year's holiday / nearer Christmas time.

I have learned to plan way ahead. A tour we want to take has had a waiting list for a year ahead of the cruise. So if there is something you really want to do, I would do the research and booking sooner than later.