Taking alcohol onboard question

rachiem

Hi

So I understand that we can take some alcohol onboard.

My hubby likes a certain beer and would like to take a case with him.

Does he pack it in a suitcase, or in a separate carrier bag for the porter or should we carry it on ourselves?

This will be on a UK staycation cruise on the 19th

TIA

I can’t speak to carrying on beer but when we have taken a bottle of gin aboard, we just had it in the bag it came in from the duty free. If it’s not bottles and therefore you’re not worried about it getting broken, I would think you could slap a baggage tag on it and it would get delivered with your suitcases.  We did that once with a case of canned soda on another cruiseline. 

We brought a boxed up half a case of wine with us onboard our last cruise.  We hit up vineyards in Chile on the way from Santiago to Valparaiso.  When we unloaded at the dock, our luggage and the wine all wound up in our cabin.  It wasn’t a problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

We brought a boxed up half a case of wine with us onboard our last cruise.  We hit up vineyards in Chile on the way from Santiago to Valparaiso.  When we unloaded at the dock, our luggage and the wine all wound up in our cabin.  It wasn’t a problem.

Thank you. 
will also be doing the drinks package but do like to also have a couple of our favourite bottles too

You could take the beer to your cabin yourselves if the cabin is available when you board. It might be easier though to just include it with your baggage (in a bag or case) when you check in and have it taken to your cabin by the crew. 

You could always check with Viking as it is just possible that they might already stock (or even order in!) that special brand for their bars. 

25 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

You could take the beer to your cabin yourselves if the cabin is available when you board. It might be easier though to just include it with your baggage (in a bag or case) when you check in and have it taken to your cabin by the crew. 

You could always check with Viking as it is just possible that they might already stock (or even order in!) that special brand for their bars. 

Thank you 😊 

Having loaded various types of alcohol onto ships, I have first hand experience at how proficient the Longshoremen are at lighening the load. Movement of cargo (luggage) may not always be handled too gently.

Especially if the beer was in bottles, I wouldn't risk giving it to the longshoremen to transfer to the ship. Even if not in bottles, I would be reluctant to hand the case over. Lots of work carrying it yourself, but at least you can guarantee it arrives safely.

Agree with Photopro, as we find Viking are generally receptive to special requests.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How do you make special requests before embarkation?

MVJ or "my guy" at Viking.  Viking treats us like responsible adults where bringing alcohol onboard.  I have been fooling them as you are but then we always had included drinks.  Never been told "no" to any bar request in 248 days onboard.  They have more important stuff to worry about.  But call your guy and ask.  You don't get what you don't ask for...😎

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How do you make special requests before embarkation?

We chatted with the World Cruise Desk, but I have no doubt the equally great people at Tellus can action requests. Our good friends did the entire Ultimate WC & he requested a specific beer, which they were happy to supply.

When he arrived at the MDR the waiters brought a beer from his stash, once he was seated.

A bit off topic, but most of the lines we’ve been on have a comm channel for special requests on their equivalent of MVJ.  MVJ only seems to offer dietary requests, and specific things like “do you want a robe”, etc.

How about if you want special flowers in the cabin, or have a table request in a restaurant, etc.?  Would these be “tellus” things?

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

A bit off topic, but most of the lines we’ve been on have a comm channel for special requests on their equivalent of MVJ.  MVJ only seems to offer dietary requests, and specific things like “do you want a robe”, etc.

How about if you want special flowers in the cabin, or have a table request in a restaurant, etc.?  Would these be “tellus” things?

We arranged everything with the World Cruise Desk, so for non-WC's I would think Tellus.

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

MVJ??  (First Viking cruise coming this fall)

Once you have a confirmed booking you have access to "My Viking Journey"

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/my-trip/my-viking-journey/index.html

It is available on the website under "My Trip". On your first visit it will require entering details and a password. Once set up, it gives a countdown to your cruise, has a daily calendar and is also where you can book shore-ex and meals, etc.

On 5/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, Mich3554 said:

We were on your same cruise and did exactly the same thing!  There were some really good Chilean wines, weren't there!

• Like 1

Thank you for your help.

We are going to buy the drinks package and take a couple of bottles on board with us.

I will also query re the beer. We are on the UK sailing so maybe the drinks may vary due to availability on these cruises?

If the staycation cruises are carrying the same beers as usual I can thoroughly recommend the Grimbergen Double Dark, beautiful.  I see you are taking the drinks package, it's excellent value, even though the bar prices are reasonable.  Cocktails round the pool are a must do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sueandphil said:

If the staycation cruises are carrying the same beers as usual I can thoroughly recommend the Grimbergen Double Dark, beautiful.  I see you are taking the drinks package, it's excellent value, even though the bar prices are reasonable.  Cocktails round the pool are a must do.

Gets my vote as well.😁🍺

• Like 1