App and communications onboard

BVILady

I am a total looser when it comes to IT. Since my son lives in the same Building as I and works for IT I just have not kept up with anything and when I have a problem it is so easy to let him fix it. Now going on a world cruise I have some things to consider and need your assistance. Ships now have apps to see the daily activities so how is that going to work. Is that going to eat up data? I will have to go and buy a new chip for my phone because my small island provider doesn't provide world wide service. I will be sailing out of Venice, Italy what chip do I need to pick up in Venice best suitable for our needs. Also what app to install? That is from one of the app-sites:

"Frequent cruisers know that one of the first orders of business after you click “book” is to launch the app for your specific cruise line. Each app is different, of course, but they feature a lot of commonalities. For starters, you can book excursions, reservations, and other services directly on the app, as well as contact customer service. You can also peruse restaurant menus to decide where to fill up your plate, and check your account balance so you know what you owe on that round of margaritas from last night. Plus, most apps aim to solve the conundrum of communicating with friends and family members while onboard by installing a built-in messaging tool that doesn’t require data or Wi-Fi."

I urgently need your help. I am currently using an IPhone. Thanks.

Not all cruise lines have an app, so it would help if you told us what line you are sailing.  Using the app does not involve data.  In fact, the first thing you want to do at or before boarding is to put your phone in airplane mode, then turn on wifi.  The app works through the intranet on the ship, not the internet.  Not all apps are created equal.  So you should go to the board here for your cruise line to see if they have one and what it does.  

There are several other boards here you might want to visit. One is Cruising Technology

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/677-cruising-technology/

It's not been very active lately but hopefully will pick up as cruising does.  It's worth browsing and floating a question.  Another is World Cruising, located under Special Interest Cruising:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/674-world-cruising/.  Another that is not very active now, but worth browsing and asking questions.  

I'm sure others will have more suggestions/answers.  I'm not particularly tech savvy, either.  EM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BVILady said:

I am a total looser when it comes to IT. Since my son lives in the same Building as I and works for IT I just have not kept up with anything and when I have a problem it is so easy to let him fix it. Now going on a world cruise I have some things to consider and need your assistance. Ships now have apps to see the daily activities so how is that going to work.

Check with the cruise line  if  they have everything  on an APP

Some still have real people that  you can book reservations with & excursions

You can pre book excursion online before you leave home  if you choose

some line  will have the daily activities listed on the TV  ..

some lines  it is just first come first serve for  shows/activities

Before you go into panic mode  over  smartphone apps

check with the cruise line

Most people on a World cruise will probably be more mature & may not  be app  friendly 😉

• Like 2

Have not used an app yet, in 22 cruises. But have, the last cruise or two, looked at the onboard intranet info...account info, menus, schedules, a few things like that. This is on HAL, not hard to do, and answered our needs at the time. Not critical info...well, seeing our account statement was, to make sure things were credited was important. So, nice to have, but not critical.

Don't know yet if post Covid cruising will make this more important.

• Like 1

One easy set answers about the app eating up data is how you are using it (surfing)

1) if it is the ship intranet (menus,  schedules, E-Muster,-accounts) then it is not eating data

2) if you are social networking then you may be eating up data if posting alot

3) if you are streaming then you will be eating up data 

Your internet service provider (isp)  can probably answer questions about the data charges and plans

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BVILady said:

I am a total looser when it comes to IT. Since my son lives in the same Building as I and works for IT I just have not kept up with anything and when I have a problem it is so easy to let him fix it. Now going on a world cruise I have some things to consider and need your assistance. Ships now have apps to see the daily activities so how is that going to work. Is that going to eat up data? I will have to go and buy a new chip for my phone because my small island provider doesn't provide world wide service. I will be sailing out of Venice, Italy what chip do I need to pick up in Venice best suitable for our needs. Also what app to install? That is from one of the app-sites:

The ships that have an app for daily activities and other ship reservations allow your device to connect to the app over the WiFi network onboard without data charges. Your phone will connect to WiFi. You don't say what ship. Some also sell WiFi packages that go beyond connecting to the app. Other cruise lines provide complementary WiFI. You don't say waht ship.  You don't need cell service. You might want it though, that is another question. 

I just looked at your profile and it appears you are on Island Princess. That ship uses the Medallion App. Simply download the app from the App store, and connect to the Princess Wifi onboard. Put your phone in airplane mode, turn on WiFi in airplane mode, connect to medallionet and you won't have to worry about data. There is no charge for using the app.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Check with the cruise line  if  they have everything  on an APP

Some still have real people that  you can book reservations with & excursions

You can pre book excursion online before you leave home  if you choose

some line  will have the daily activities listed on the TV  ..

some lines  it is just first come first serve for  shows/activities

Before you go into panic mode  over  smartphone apps

check with the cruise line

Most people on a World cruise will probably be more mature & may not  be app  friendly 😉

So true.

Have completed 2 World Cruises without having one of those infernal smart phones. On our preferred cruise line everything can be booked from the cabin's telly, or even going to the Purser's Office to chat with the staff.😀

• Like 1