Celebrity boarding rules change again for cruises from St Maarten - posted 05/31/2021

ZiggyGA

Celebrity changed the game plan this morning with the new Covid Test update on 5/31/2021.  I knew something was wrong when they requested to click on message to show you got it.

Prior to yesterday, only vaccine was required for Celebrity.  My wife and I got tested on Saturday, 120 hours prior to departure, uploaded the test and vaccine to St. Maarten and got our approval confirmation.  We also had to each pay $30 for insurance since we're flying into St. Maarten on Thursday, 2 days before the cruise.  

Now Celebrity requires a Covid test 72 hours before you get to the Terminal--Really??????*****?????

We're going to get tested tomorrow but results won't be back for 2-3 days according to the CVS website.  We'll be on a plane on Thursday morning.  Maybe if we're lucky the results will be available before we board.  I'm just hoping that I have no trouble getting on line with Xfinity Mobile in St. Maarten.  I called Xfinity and signed up for International calling and data usage.  They told me turn Roaming on my cell phone, turn off the phone and restart.

I spent half the day calling and speaking with Celebrity agents and their supervisors.  They were all very nice and understanding but all said that in the end it's really up to the Celebrity staff at the dock whether they let you board if you don't meet the new time requirements.

This was a last minute chance from Celebrity, and there will be many many people that won't even realize that they changed this one line in the e-mail.  They have sent out over a dozen of the same e-mails over the past week before the change yesterday, and most will just probably disregard it.

Honestly, the agents I spoke with and supervisors felt bad and realized that this was not acceptable, but could not offer any other suggestions.  However, one of the agents did say that they don't think that Celebrity would want to have to refund the cruise and also pay for the Airline flight home.  They would be required to refund both and just don't think that would happen.

A very stressful day and just completely pissed off with this entire experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seany527 said:

This was the email I got from Celebrity at 11am Eastern, June 1.  For those sailing on June 5, we do require a test at least 72 hours prior to boarding. 

YOU ARE READING THIS WRONG

IT DOES NOT SAY AT LEAST

It's 72 hours prior to boarding

Dear Guest,    

    

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Millennium for your 7-NightAruba, Curacao and Barbados cruise departing June 5th, from Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. Before we board, we have some important health requirement information to share with you.    

     

Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety protocols.  At this time, we have been advised of new testing requirements which will require your attention. 

St. Maarten Health Requirements: 

• St. Maarten’s RT-PCR testing requirements for travel have been updated. The requirements for entry into St. Maarten, for US and Canadian visitors, will include a negative naso-pharyngeal RT-PCR test result taken within 120 hours prior to departure, or an antigen test taken 48 hours prior to departure. This requirement differs from Celebrity boarding requirements which you will find below.
  • All other visitors must present negative naso-pharyngeal RT-PCR test results taken within 72 hours prior to departure. 
  • Your proof of negative RT-PCR test and the EHAS pre-approval form are required at the airport. 
  • The name on your test results must match those on government issued identification.

Celebrity Cruises requirements for boarding: 

• All guests must present a negative RT-PCR test taken 72 hours prior to arrival at the cruise terminal. The name on the test results must match those on government issued identification.
  • Proof of vaccination in the form of the original vaccination card for all guests 16 and older. No photocopies or photos accepted.
  • Children between the ages of 2-15 who are not vaccinated must complete a RT-PCR test at the terminal prior to boarding.  

Guests who do not present all required healthy sailing documentation are at risk of being denied boarding. If you have any other questions, please contact our Customer Service team at 1 (844) 418-6824 in North America or 1 (316) 554-5961 worldwide. 

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we make our return to service and we look forward to welcoming you aboard for an unforgettable vacation. 

     

Sincerely,    

Celebrity Cruises

10 minutes ago, garyg2000 said:

You are correct. I should have said “at most”. I don’t think Celebrity really expects everyone to be tested at exactly the 72 hour mark. 

19 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

You are correct. I should have said “at most”. I don’t think Celebrity really expects everyone to be tested at exactly the 72 hour mark. 

I may end up getting tested in St. Maarten on Friday, the day before the cruise, at the hotel we're staying at.  They said they will have the results back the same day.  Cost is $80 a person.

Ummmm---We got tested Sat, Sunday, Tomorrow, and probably this Friday if we don't get the Wednesday results back in time.

This is really ff----up

Edited by garyg2000

5 minutes ago, garyg2000 said:

I may end up getting tested in St. Maarten on Friday, the day before the cruise, at the hotel we're staying at.  They said they will have the results back the same day.  Cost is $80 a person.

Ummmm---We got tested Sat, Sunday, Tomorrow, and probably this Friday if we don't get the Wednesday results back in time.

This is really ff----up

Honest question, at this point do you feel that it is worth it?

I called and asked what happens if we DON'T get our results in time from our PCR test. (I've got an appt tomorrow) and they said we would be denied boarding and get a FCC. We would be on our own to get back home. 

5 hours ago, foggyphils said:

I called and asked what happens if we DON'T get our results in time from our PCR test. (I've got an appt tomorrow) and they said we would be denied boarding and get a FCC. We would be on our own to get back home. 

I spent most of the day yesterday calling Celebrity support people and everyone had different answers.  They are really clueless.  However, the last one got her supervisor involved, spent over an hour on the phone with me, and assured me that a full refund would be made if denied boarding along with Celebrity paying for the flight back home.  Her supervisor said it's the Celebrity staff at the dock that will make the final call and they won't want to have to refund the $$$$$$$ back and pay for airfare.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Honest question, at this point do you feel that it is worth it?

Reply-----Yes----WE just need to get away, tired of being stuck in the house for a year and a half, and just hope we have no problem boarding.

• Like 2

Anyone get a CVS Rapid Antigen test and submit to SXM for approval? 

Im looking at going that route on Wed next week at 9AM for the country entry and then doing our PCR at another site for our dear friends at Celebrity at 1215. Just curious if the Govt liked the CVS report. 

1 hour ago, BoundForSea said:

Anyone get a CVS Rapid Antigen test and submit to SXM for approval? 

Im looking at going that route on Wed next week at 9AM for the country entry and then doing our PCR at another site for our dear friends at Celebrity at 1215. Just curious if the Govt liked the CVS report. 

This reply is important to anyone taking the test at CVS----

We took the test Saturday, 5/29 and got the results the next day.  CVS sends you an e-mail to sign up to CVS-My Health site to view the results.  We signed up and got the test results.  You can print them.

However, there is absolutely no way to download the test results in the format that St. Maarten requires.  Our forms were denied numerous times and finally had to take test at an Urgent Care place that uses Labcorp.  We got approved immediately from St. Maarten with Labcorp.

This morning I decided to install the My Quest site on my desktop.  It gave me the same information as CVS-My Health, except it allowed me to download the file PDF to my desktop.  St. Maarten requires PDF download.  Botttom line----Don't sign up for CVS-My Health----you'll never get approved

Instead, sign up for My Quest and you'll be good to go.

I even called Quest this morning to vent my anger and frustration with CVS, and the rep. was aware of the issue and said it's good that I signed up directly with My Quest.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, garyg2000 said:

We took the test Saturday, 5/29 and got the results the next day.  CVS sends you an e-mail to sign up to CVS-My Health site to view the results.  We signed up and got the test results.  You can print them.

However, there is absolutely no way to download the test results in the format that St. Maarten requires.  Our forms were denied numerous times and finally had to take test at an Urgent Care place that uses Labcorp.  We got approved immediately from St. Maarten with Labcorp.

This morning I decided to install the My Quest site on my desktop.  It gave me the same information as CVS-My Health, except it allowed me to download the file PDF to my desktop.  St. Maarten requires PDF download.  Botttom line----Don't sign up for CVS-My Health----you'll never get approved

I even called Quest this morning to vent my anger and frustration with CVS, and the rep. was aware of the issue and said it's good that I signed up directly with My Quest.

Thats exactly the info I was looking for. Did you do an instant antigen or PCR? 

So the Labcorp results they liked from the Urgent Care right? So am I understanding this right, if you do CVS and you download the My Quest, you will be able to get the pdf antigen results report pdf to submit in a form SXM will like? 

This info share is great and very valuable for us all. Thanks for that clarification!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, garyg2000 said:

Could you not print them off as a .pdf with either Adobe or another free pdf printer?

Edited by taxiang

On 6/1/2021 at 8:53 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I somewhat understand the frustrations. But, honestly, didn't those booking early cruises understand that there were going to be a lot of changes and confusion and a need to be flexible if booking some of the first cruises to resume sailing??  

It has been said many times that those who want to be on the first cruises out of the gate would need to take these things in stride...

As an early booker I expected changes. I would have expected them more from St. Maarten or the islands. But these are Celebrity only requirements that keep changing, not governmental. And, again, no direct communication with those booked on the cruises or explanation for why the changes are necessary. 

49 minutes ago, garyg2000 said:

So were you able to download the CVS results to My Quest (and if so, how did you do it)?  Or did you only download your results from Labcorp to My Quest?  I am expecting our test results from CVS today (I hope)

From the text it said they could print them but there was no way to download directly.   What others have posted is the workaround is to "print" them, then select the Microsoft PDF Printer from the list of available printers, which will output to a pdf file which you save to your computer (just like a download).   Then this file can be uploaded to the SXM site.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lhsail said:

As an early booker I expected changes. I would have expected them more from St. Maarten or the islands. But these are Celebrity only requirements that keep changing, not governmental. And, again, no direct communication with those booked on the cruises or explanation for why the changes are necessary. 

Please don't misunderstand me -- I'm not excusing Celebrity of blame here. I'm just suggesting that it was not entirely unpredictable that the first cruises might be a mess. And given how the cruise lines tend to communicate -- all of them -- when situations are out of the norm in any way, I tend to err on the side of "wait and see".

I would never book an inaugural cruise, or the first cruise after a major dry-dock, for example. Or if I did I would mentally prepare and remind myself that things could be chaotic onboard. I feel these start-up cruises have that potential (new onboard procedures that staff have to learn, new or "rusty" staff, etc.), as well as the obvious issues around boarding requirements. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

You tested positive and have been fully vaccinated?

It's totally possible; the vaccine doesn't prevent you from having a detectable amount of the virus.  (I'll let the poster respond of course to their vax situation.) 

Here's an interesting article about this subject, and why the epidemiologist interviewed thinks that rapid antigen tests would be better to use on fully vaxxed people than a PCR test.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/what-really-happened-with-that-weird-yankees-covid-outbreak.html

1 hour ago, garyg2000 said:

So we took the PCR test at CVS......taking another one today for Celebrity, and when we got the results via text, we clicked on it, it verified our identity, took us to the report and then at the bottom it said save as a PDF.  I then uploaded it to St. Maarten website and they accepted it. (I did email it to myself and uploaded everything from my laptop.)