The Daily for Wednesday Jun 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is Global Running Day, National Rocky Road Day, and I Love My Dentist Day

Baruch's Observation:
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Meal suggestion for today - Couscous Salad with Tomatoes and Mint

Drink of the Day - Planter's Punch

Wine of the day - Clarendelle Rouge Inspired by Haut Brion - France - Red

Port of the Day - Phu My Vietnam

At Sea Gulf of California
Noordam Destination Los Angeles

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta today
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 6/5
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX

Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0602Europe.thumb.png.8cde6b4ffffa4204d28010258cc5f8f9.png

0602USA.thumb.png.d7a8f7ed77191123ac643a353497bfec.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day.

Interesting collection of days, I guess I should run if I eat too much Rocky Road ice cream.😉  I like my dentist - she helps me keep my teeth, and that's a good thing.

The quote is so accurate.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.

Another port I have not visited, hope there are lots of wonderful pictures.  Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone.

Interesting celebration days today.   I have a friend who was not a cook, but he could make Rocky Road bars.  He brought those to every pot luck.

Today's meal is more of a side dish.  One commenter wrote that they grilled vegetables on the grill and she filled  her grilled bell pepper half with the couscous salad and it went very well.  They also had grilled chicken to go with it for a very healthy meal.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/couscous-salad-with-tomatoes-and-mint-recipe-1941817

Couscous salad with tomato and mint.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the daily report and happy Wednesday everyone.  A nod to the runners out there.   I’m not sure that I’ve ever had rocky road ice cream.  I really like my dentist so cheers to him.  Today’s observation is so true. The meal selection sounds like a very nice lunch.  I really like a good Planters Punch on occasion.  I haven’t been to today’s port, as always 

I can’t wait to see the photos.  Prayers to all on our prayer list, let’s hope it gets shorter soon.  Cheers to everyone with a celebration today.

• Like 22

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile on Hump Day 🙂 

Great collection of days.  I hate going to the dentist but I do love him for what he does for me 😉  I know a lot of people love Rocky Road ice cream.

E1F2461F-30F8-4B13-9B04-31D7DD9ADC81.thumb.png.ccbd99c58edef7ef859b677641191fb3.png

LOL on Baruch’s observation.  Meal suggestion sounds interesting but I think we’ll pass for today.  Couscous and I don’t get along 😉 

DH has been busy pulling up dandelions this spring.  How can we have so many when our lawn is treated professionally?  Sadly, some people don’t do anything with their dandelions and let them go to seed.  I don’t care if you don’t want to weed, but at least mow them down before the seeds can blow everywhere.

C1D43B9A-06DD-4852-90CE-A2B2BE661F65.thumb.jpeg.c48c47ecd883e444844f7cafc263fc10.jpeg

Love these peony type tulips.  Photos don’t do them justice.

4BC0FE6F-2293-453D-B71C-BF6B7E549B46.thumb.jpeg.636d8d11fb4126de963662d613048820.jpeg

FA054ABE-B199-4575-AB65-E7504EB65070.thumb.jpeg.bab81fc5807b4f50acf278acb5129cbe.jpeg

Looks like good weather today and stable temps at night at long last so there will be some serious planting on kazu’s agenda today.

Today’s Care List:

• Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown’s recovery from arm surgery
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.

Prayers for them all

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump Day everyone & thank you for your caring yesterday.

9039F812-BC70-4C21-B67D-04F8B8361761.thumb.jpeg.85acbd4757ad514c7796bfef551036af.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Wednesday Daily, Rich.  I haven't run to any extent since college.  I think for many of us the Dentist is a love=hate relationship.  Rocky Road is probably not my favorite ice cream.  My corollary to Baruch's Observation:  "If you're an actuary, everything looks like a spreadsheet".  I think I've been to Phu My on the Zaandam.  I'll pass on the couscous salad.  My alternative is Tropical Fruit Medley, Lamb Shank, and Upside Pear Crunch Coffee Cake as served on MS Prinsendam June 2, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

Tara back home and accepting help

second jabs for superoma’s family

Bi-rnational reckonings, Kamloops and *****

HorizonChaser1957 second jab appointment

Progress on Ashburrton bridge and establishment of an alternate route to Dunedin

End of Baltimore Orioles 14-game losing streak

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! If running errands counts, I am in! Rocky Road is ok, but I never buy it or ask for it. Let’s say I appreciate my dentist. But I love my retired dentist Sister @DeeniEncinitas❤️.

Thank you for our lists Jacqui & Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Thought provoking quote. Love the meal, but would leave out the mint and add grilled fish, seafood or chicken. I only like mint in Girl Scout cookies.😎

Another exquisite morning here. The entire deer herd seemed to be wandering around my street this morning.  Lots of little ones. I wonder if they are sticking together as protection from the bear. A busy day for me. Bindi and I off to her Vet for her annual checkup. Zumba for me. Then meeting with my attorney to work on a will. I started the process last year, and have my thoughts in order, now it just needs to be be finalized. It is long overdue. 
And if the humidity stays away, there will be a long walk in Bindi’s and my future. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This Bordeaux red blend has excellent ratings. One of the reviewers mentions chocolate! Several online distributors with prices starting at $17.95. Definitely one I would like to try. It is going on my list. 

Winemaker Notes

A deep color and a soft bouquet of liquorice and blackcurrant. The wine has violet and slightly toasty nuances on the palate. The texture is velvety and the flavour altogether powerful and elegant. There is a wonderful refined balance between high-quality tannin, concentration, tension, and freshness. A lovely vintage for Clarendelle!
JS91 James Suckling: Fresh nose with berries and chocolate with hints of hazelnuts. Sandalwood. Medium-bodied, linear and focused with fine tannins and a delicious finish. Drink and enjoy.
WW90 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: One always has to take note, when one sees that Château Haut-Brion has inspired a wine. The 2015 Clarendelle is a class Bordeaux AOC. TASTING NOTES: This wine is built with ripe tannins and firm in the finish. Its aromas and flavors of black fruit, savory spices, and earth should pair nicely with a thick and juicy grilled ribeye. 
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Happy Wednesday!  Bright sunny start to the morning, but our rainy season has begun.  We need it so bad.  If I'm running you better run too because something is chasing me.  LOL  I can't say I love my dentist but he is gentle and I appreciate that.  I don't care for any Rocky Roads, Ice Cream or otherwise.  Will save the meal for another day, going to be take out tonight.  Thank you Rich, Roy, Jacqui, Debbie, Cat Shepard, and all who make this the wonderful thread it is!!

Cyber hugs and prayers for our care list.  🥤Toasts to our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Planter's Punch:

Ingredients
3 ounces dark rum
1 ounce simple syrup
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon grenadine
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 splash club soda
Garnish: mint sprig
Steps
Add the dark rum, simple syrup, lime juice, grenadine and bitters into a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a Collins glass over crushed ice.
Top with a splash of soda water, and garnish with a mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 7.49.54 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good Wednesday morning to everyone.  Thank you @richwmnfor today's Daily.  I am not a runner, though I am capable of it.  Rocky Road ice cream is a favorite of mine, though I'd say it runs second to Mint Chocolate Chip.  As for loving my dentist, I agree with @rafinmdthat it's more of a love-hate relationship.  I still see them twice a year and pray they don't find any problems that need correcting.

No thank you to the couscous salad.  I think DH plans on spaghetti tonight.

I've been to Phu My twice on the Diamond Princess, in 2010 and in 2013.  Once was on a transpacific cruise from Bangkok to Whittier, Alaska.  The second time on a Singapore to Sydney cruise.  

Thanks to @rafinmdand @kazufor our celebration and care lists.  I'm going to ask for an update from my nieces today on my sister.  I try not to constantly ask for reports since I know they are so busy trying to handle their jobs, caretaking of a disabled son, and being with their Mother every day.  About the only thing I've heard in the last 48 hours is she is not eating anymore.  That can't continue forever.

I'll also find out if DB has gotten a firm date for his heart procedure.  

Good wishes to all on our Daily and especially those who contribute.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I was never a runner, prefer walking. I really like my dentist, he is a patient and good guy.

Rocky Road is a favorite of DS.  Never been to todays port. Will look forward to pictures.

Our local news is full of stories about the cruise ships. Disney is now approved for test cruises on the 6/26. The latest Carnival ship arrives on the 4rth. Not really sure what any of it really means. Not sure anyone does.  Very frustrating, but we wait and hope.

Off to water aerobics.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21

I don't have a sunrise from June 2.  I will instead post something pretty close; this is sunset on June 1, 2015.  At the time I was on MS Prinsendam in Copenhagen.

dusk0601.jpg

Roy

• Like 32

Good  morning  and  thank  you  Rich , for  the  Daily. A  big  thank  you  as  well  to  our  list keepers  and  the lovely food  and  beverage  department. The  quote  of  the  day  is  a  hoot  and  as  usual @kazu, your  post  had  me  laughing.

Rocky  Road  is  ok but  not  a  first  ice  cream   choice. It  seems  that  most  of  my  family  love 

running  but  I  am  like  @summer slope. If  I am  running, something  is  chasing  me! Our  neighborhood  has  smaller wildlife(skunks,racoons)  but  at  times  we  do  have  a  scary  person  or  two.  The  dentist   and  I  have  reached  a  peace  accord. I  am  very  anxious  about  the  whole  thing  but  he  does  a  very  good  job in  spite  of  me!

I  would  like  today's recipe  but  DH  would  be  looking  for  the  rest  of  the  meal.  I  will  have  to get  myself  in  gear  to  make  something  today  as  the  leftovers  are  gone. I  think  the  store  of  groceries  awaits  me.

DD  and  I  continue  meal  and  grocery  delivery to  her  half  sister  Tana. She   has  a diagnostic  procedure  scheduled  for  later  in  the  week  which  we  hope  will  give  us  some  answers. She  is  certainly  feeling  better but  the  fevers  have  returned so  we  worry.

@StLouisCruisers, I  keep  you  and  your  family  in  my  prayers. Many  years  ago  we  went  through  this when  my  oldest  brother  was  in  the  last  stages  of  his  illness. It is  a  very  difficult  time.

Terry

• Like 24

Good morning everyone. Another beautiful, but hot day just short of 80 degrees.

Today, our oldest grandson turns 25. It’s so hard to believe since I was there when he was born and it certainly doesn’t feel like 25 years ago.

I definitely love my dentist, rather my former dentist, since I’ve been living with him for almost 62 years. DH is retired now, but I love my new dentist too.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 23

On my 2010 visit to Phu My, Vietnam the Diamond Princess docked at this expansive port and found a crowd of buses awaiting us.  That's because there is nothing to do here unless you take a tour somewhere else.  That day we were heading to Ho Chi Minh City.enhance

Along the way to HCM City we saw families on their mode of transportation, the motorbike.  They had travel down pat it seemed.enhance

That baby was wearing a net over its head I suppose so the bugs didn't get smashed into its face.  On one bridge they had a protected lane of their own to ride in.  You would see up to four people on one motorbike.  Just three in this photo though.enhance

The tour stopped at one point at a lacquer factory.  Here are some of the artists at work.  This man looks like he's using eggshell to decorate his lacquer piece.enhance

enhance

enhance

Finished products for sale in their showroom.enhance

enhance

Next we saw the former Presidential Palace, which was renamed the Reunification Palace or Independence Palace.  During the fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975, it was the site of the end of the Vietnam War when  North Vietnamese Army tank crashed through its gates.enhance

enhance

Below is the Rex Hotel where CIA agents reportedly hung out during the war.enhance

There was a beautiful garden just out in front of the Rex Hotel.  enhance

enhance

Enough on our 2010 visit to Phu My and Ho Chi Minh City.  On the 2013 visit we headed out on a tour of Vung Tau which I will document in my next post.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich and all DAILYITES. Thanks for the fleet report.  My running days are over.  It is a nice sunny day here in Naperville.  I have an appointment this morning with the Doctor who put the pacemaker in my nine months ago.  (This is routine scheduled visit that has been on the books for five months.)  Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile on Hump Day 🙂 

Great collection of days.  I hate going to the dentist but I do love him for what he does for me 😉  I know a lot of people love Rocky Road ice cream.

E1F2461F-30F8-4B13-9B04-31D7DD9ADC81.thumb.png.ccbd99c58edef7ef859b677641191fb3.png

LOL on Baruch’s observation.  Meal suggestion sounds interesting but I think we’ll pass for today.  Couscous and I don’t get along 😉 

DH has been busy pulling up dandelions this spring.  How can we have so many when our lawn is treated professionally?  Sadly, some people don’t do anything with their dandelions and let them go to seed.  I don’t care if you don’t want to weed, but at least mow them down before the seeds can blow everywhere.

C1D43B9A-06DD-4852-90CE-A2B2BE661F65.thumb.jpeg.c48c47ecd883e444844f7cafc263fc10.jpeg

Love these peony type tulips.  Photos don’t do them justice.

4BC0FE6F-2293-453D-B71C-BF6B7E549B46.thumb.jpeg.636d8d11fb4126de963662d613048820.jpeg

FA054ABE-B199-4575-AB65-E7504EB65070.thumb.jpeg.bab81fc5807b4f50acf278acb5129cbe.jpeg

Looks like good weather today and stable temps at night at long last so there will be some serious planting on kazu’s agenda today.

Today’s Care List:

• Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown’s recovery from arm surgery
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.

Prayers for them all

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump Day everyone & thank you for your caring yesterday.

9039F812-BC70-4C21-B67D-04F8B8361761.thumb.jpeg.85acbd4757ad514c7796bfef551036af.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Thank you for the Care List.  Many, many need prayers. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Wednesday Daily, Rich.  I haven't run to any extent since college.  I think for many of us the Dentist is a love=hate relationship.  Rocky Road is probably not my favorite ice cream.  My corollary to Baruch's Observation:  "If you're an actuary, everything looks like a spreadsheet".  I think I've been to Phu My on the Zaandam.  I'll pass on the couscous salad.  My alternative is Tropical Fruit Medley, Lamb Shank, and Upside Pear Crunch Coffee Cake as served on MS Prinsendam June 2, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

Tara back home and accepting help

second jabs for superoma’s family

Bi-rnational reckonings, Kamloops and *****

HorizonChaser1957 second jab appointment

Progress on Ashburrton bridge and establishment of an alternate route to Dunedin

End of Baltimore Orioles 14-game losing streak

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, I hope you are well these days and well on the mend.  You have quite a shout out list. Thanks for posting and sharing it. 

• Like 7

Good Morning, All!  Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread.  

We docked in Phu My on March 19, 2012.  We took a tour to HCM City that just dropped us off and we were on our own for a few hours.

Here is the port as we were docking

IMG_0208.thumb.jpg.14f73e5c29ccd152527810b22f1d4790.jpg

IMG_0209.thumb.jpg.3699e45ddc154d46edc27e69dae6deb7.jpg

Think this was one of the "Queens"

IMG_0211.thumb.jpg.0595abfa3e310600f2fe3f0a18fc127c.jpg

Snakes & scorpions in booze 🤢

DSC02261.thumb.jpg.8d562ea079f2b7e46a978e5fb98ed719.jpg

@StLouisCruisers has already posted photos of the highlights we also saw, so here's Pho 24 (a fast food pho restaurant).

IMG_0235.thumb.jpg.e04561f246d3fb4491612839eeca36dc.jpg

IMG_0236.thumb.jpg.f16fb284dfe112563e6168b0f68a40f8.jpg

One of my missions was to have a drink at the rooftop bar of the Rex Hotel where the daily reports came from during the Vietnam War.  Also a hang-out for all those war correspondents.

IMG_0245.thumb.jpg.2e4da13efedcb8435ba4b12ce5b777b1.jpg

IMG_0243.thumb.jpg.2bda55b3bf9f385b64866075a4779b42.jpg

View from the bar

IMG_0244.thumb.jpg.02b8b0ec6d70497b0d10eba3b4be6664.jpg

Mission accomplished!!

IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.4861046be5e5042ff0c85695e64d338d.jpg

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 34

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Wednesday!  Bright sunny start to the morning, but our rainy season has begun.  We need it so bad.  If I'm running you better run too because something is chasing me.  LOL  I can't say I love my dentist but he is gentle and I appreciate that.  I don't care for any Rocky Roads, Ice Cream or otherwise.  Will save the meal for another day, going to be take out tonight.  Thank you Rich, Roy, Jacqui, Debbie, Cat Shepard, and all who make this the wonderful thread it is!!

Cyber hugs and prayers for our care list.  🥤Toasts to our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Planter's Punch:

Ingredients
3 ounces dark rum
1 ounce simple syrup
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon grenadine
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 splash club soda
Garnish: mint sprig
Steps
Add the dark rum, simple syrup, lime juice, grenadine and bitters into a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a Collins glass over crushed ice.
Top with a splash of soda water, and garnish with a mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 7.49.54 AM.png

This sounds like it would be a refreshing drink.

• Like 4