Icy Strait Point AK -- what to do so late ?

kam-ky

20 minutes ago, kam-ky said:

I've just noticed that the Nieuw Amsterdam will be at Icy Strait Point from 6-10 *PM*  this year --  so what is there to do there so late, besides eat or shop ?

HAL is offering Ship Excursions.  According to my PCC they should be posted this week or next week. 

• Like 1

Icy Strait Point/Hoonah isn't a large area and you can find plenty to do. It's a nice walk from the dock into the Cannery area where the shops are (not too many but some nice ones). There is the world's longest zipline if you like that. There was a booth selling fresh mini-doughnuts. It's about a mile walk to Hoonah and there's a wide paved walkway. Not a lot in Hoonah but the walk is worth it. This is also a good port for whale watching and animal looking. 

Karen

I have to wonder also what will be available and I guess we will find out.  September sailings will have earlier sunsets and twilight, but at least it won't be dark on arrival even in September.  

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Icy Strait Point/Hoonah isn't a large area and you can find plenty to do. It's a nice walk from the dock into the Cannery area where the shops are (not too many but some nice ones). There is the world's longest zipline if you like that. There was a booth selling fresh mini-doughnuts. It's about a mile walk to Hoonah and there's a wide paved walkway. Not a lot in Hoonah but the walk is worth it. This is also a good port for whale watching and animal looking. 

Karen

Guess I'll watch the earlier sailings to see if things will be open/offered that late in the nite,  since it'll be totally dark by 7:30pm

58 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We'll probably stay on the ship, with our mobility challenges, it'll take that entire time period just walking on/off the ship. I seem to recall a VERY long gangway.

There is a long gangway but they have long golf carts to transport you to the first visitor's center near the zipline. From there it isn't too far to the cannery. I'll check it out when we're there on the first cruise. 

Karen

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

There is a long gangway but they have long golf carts to transport you to the first visitor's center near the zipline. From there it isn't too far to the cannery. I'll check it out when we're there on the first cruise. 

Karen

It's okay, the chances of me getting on a zipline are up there with winning the lottery, I can't even handle the height from a stepladder.😁

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, kam-ky said:

Guess I'll watch the earlier sailings to see if things will be open/offered that late in the nite,  since it'll be totally dark by 7:30pm

A later sailing means a chance to see the Aurora. Although with the full moon on September 20th, that might not be the perfect week. The new moons are approximately September 6th and October 5/6th.

https://ianajohnson.com/ocean-biolumination-and-the-aurora-borealis/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SeeSun&Sea said:

A later sailing means a chance to see the Aurora. Although with the full moon on September 20th, that might not be the perfect week. The new moons are approximately September 6th and October 5/6th.

https://ianajohnson.com/ocean-biolumination-and-the-aurora-borealis/

That is great news, Not only will be on the July 24th but we will be returning for the September 4th sailing so as long as skies are clear there might be a slight chance. We last sailed to Alaska in September 2018, I got a few pictures of the Northern lights with just a green haze but others stayed up much later and got some amazing pictures the night after we left Juneau. So hoping I can get lucky with taking pictures this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

I can't even handle the height from a stepladder.

I completely understand!  I am there with you!  If at all possible, try to visit Icy Point Strait and choose whatever attraction that is available that provides a taste of the Native Alaskan heritage.  

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

the Northern lights with just a green haze

It's a sight that one won't forget.  It's a sight that one cannot anticipate.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

We'll probably stay on the ship, with our mobility challenges, it'll take that entire time period just walking on/off the ship. I seem to recall a VERY long gangway.

If you have not been to this port, I'd really encourage you not to miss it.  It is delightful.  They have an excellent walk-through exhibit about the history of the salmon industry there, and a nice cafe for chowder and such, as well as nature walks and local art for sale, etc.   It is not a stop developed by cruise lines.  It was developed locally and they put heart and soul into it.  We had a wonderful conversation with a gentleman who grew up there and participated in the development of the area.  He loves to chat and is full of rich stories.  Maybe you'll run into him and shoot the breeze for the evening in a very charming way.   Just looking at the detail of craftsmanship in some areas shows real labor of love.  It's a unique stop in Alaska.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

If you have not been to this port, I'd really encourage you not to miss it.  It is delightful.  <snip>

Here's a 2nd vote for ISP, it's been our favorite port in Alaska and we can't wait to visit again. It's not commercial, it's unspoiled and really beautiful. Very small town vibe. And as far as things to do in such a short visit for 2021, if anyone has the chance to go out on the water with Glacier Wind Charters, I highly recommend them. We went with them in 2019 and it was fantastic. Looking forward to taking to the water with them again in August. 

Best wishes!

• Like 4

Thanks, I will try and reconsider, I used to work in Alaska, the descriptions sound like every small Alaska town I've been to, the kind of places tourists only stumble on by accident, if at all.

• Like 1

Here’s a post with link I made after we visited that mentions the Nature Trail and who to contact for canoe rentals and activities in Hoonah: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2581441-sitka-or-icy-strait/?tab=comments#comment-55661300

There was also a performance scheduled that day at the Heritage Center: 

https://icystraitpoint.com

We loved our time in ISP! Would love to return!

Edited by syesmar

On 6/2/2021 at 10:58 AM, luvteaching said:

Karen

If you walk to Hoonah, just before you get into town, watch for the Office Bar on the water side.  For those that like “local” it’s fun.   Great view of the inlet and real local flavour   We go there every time we get to ISP.  Also no Diamonds International etc.

everything has been developed and operated by the local Tlingit band.   Wonderful little port.  

• Like 3

There are two web sites that have been posted on the CC Alaska Message Board relating to Icy Point Strait.  Both provide much interesting information.  The cultural experience that I so enjoyed seems to still be available.  Maybe in a different format.  But, the native Tlinget informative experience still seems to exist.