DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

3 hours ago, CI66774 said:

How about those who refuse to get a flu shot? More people have died from the flu over the years than COVID. How about people with HIV? Should they have to identify themselves to you too?

Masks were common with the 1918 pandemic also.

So wear a condom and a mask. What's your point?

6 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I am confused by your statement.  You want protection for a group that refuses to follow a guideline that's meant to reduce the spread of a serious contagious Virus to others?  I can understand protection for un-vaccinated that CAN'T wear a mask but not for those that WON'T wear a mask.

I agree. 

Grown ass adults that won't behave is beyond belief.  Let them look at vides of folks who suffered with the covid and are still suffering with it.

Me thinks they should forget all the confusion in the beginning and listen to the RECENT studies now that the virus is a year old.   Now they are saying the virus is hitting teens pretty hard and it is no longer and old age thing.

I do think folks get carried away with the term  "MY RIGHTS" at times.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

The phrase "there are people" can be applied to absolutely any statement I want to make. The fact is the data says young have been proven to be an extremely low risk. That's also with extremely deceptive reporting around the health of the young people too.

Deceptive is suggesting young people can't get covid or spread it.

Coronavirus infections requiring hospitalization are not only possible in younger adults, but the rate of these cases is increasing

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-covid-19-younger-adults-are-at-risk-too

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

How is Royal going to sail not dong what the CDC requires. They just announced. vaccinations are recommended. Recommended is not required.

Once they complete an approved test cruise, it looks like they will sail with whatever the current CDC requirements are for unvaccinated cruises.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I only realized after clicking Submit that your request was from a couple days ago, sorry, I'm sure you found plenty of news about it before I shared my Google search...

I did but still Thanks!

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Coronavirus infections requiring hospitalization are not only possible in younger adults, but the rate of these cases is increasing

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-covid-19-younger-adults-are-at-risk-too

This is not a young person virus. To suggest otherwise is misleading. Children should NOT have to be stuck to be allowed on a cruise. Tested - yes.Again, this, for the vast majority of incidences, is an older person virus coupled with comorbidities.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

This is not a young person virus. To suggest otherwise is misleading. Children should NOT have to be stuck to be allowed on a cruise. Tested - yes.Again, this, for the vast majority of incidences, is an older person virus coupled with comorbidities.

That is misinformation. And when they test positive, they will be denied boarding along with their families. Stop with the lies, damn lies, and statistics. Tell that to the dead, including the young dead. Young with the same comorbidities as the old have the same chance of severe covid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Are teens being hospitalized and put on ventilators?  Unless someone needs hospitalization, quarantining them is fine. If people hadn't been locked down for so long it would have already run its course.

Some are. Quarantine is for someone who has been exposed, not for someone sick. Put the sick off of the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

This is an old article. It was updated in Dec, 2020. Lots of things have changed since then!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jennas_mum said:

This is an old article. It was updated in Dec, 2020. Lots of things have changed since then!

Old is still valid, but there is plenty of current info, also. I will leave as an exercise for deniers. I know nothing will change their minds.

Again, for those who believe the hospitals and doctors are lying, this won't matter.  But here is what is happening in the real world: https://abc13.com/kids-in-hospital-covid-19-vaccination-among-where-can-vaccinated/10745055/  The vaccines are not perfect, the more unvaccinated people the more chances of variants that will go around the vaccine, and if someone gets sick on a ship it may effect the entire cruise.  There are a lot of inconvenient facts that support 100% vaccinated cruises for now, but I know that they won't matter to a lot of people.  I have, and am continuing to try and understand people who disagree with me, but it's getting really difficult.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Again, for those who believe the hospitals and doctors are lying, this won't matter.  But here is what is happening in the real world: https://abc13.com/kids-in-hospital-covid-19-vaccination-among-where-can-vaccinated/10745055/  The vaccines are not perfect, the more unvaccinated people the more chances of variants that will go around the vaccine, and if someone gets sick on a ship it may effect the entire cruise.  There are a lot of inconvenient facts that support 100% vaccinated cruises for now, but I know that they won't matter to a lot of people.  I have, and am continuing to try and understand people who disagree with me, but it's getting really difficult.

Agree with you 100%.  I would just add that, if someone gets sick on board, it WILL cause everyone aboard problems.  Wife and I are diamond & have 8 cruises scheduled currently.  3 in November & 5 in January - February '22.  There is simply no way we will cruise unless both crew & passengers are required to be vaccinated.  Some have suggested social distancing.  Anyone who knows anything about cruising knows that's not even a remote possibility.  The cruise lines are strapped.  This pandemic / shutdown, IMHO, has made it not feasible for them to risk not mandating vaccines.  The CDC will, or at least should, make that decision for them so they are the bad guys.  No one is forced to take a cruise.  Don't want the vaccine?  No problem, but cruise ships are not for you currently.  Just got back from the beach.  Wide open spaces with lots of wind.   Enjoy them until this pandemic is over.  

• Like 2

I know that it's been in the news this weekend that hospitalizations are up for the young, but the numbers don't support it.

I question the motives of media that spreads this kind of fear, when hospitalizations for those under 18 average about 1 per state, each week.

Hardly numbers that justify mass vaccination of children.

Check for yourself:

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/covidnet/COVID19_5.html

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Teen hospitalizations are NOT increasing.   Here's an explanation from Joseph Allen of Harvard School of Public Health:

• Like 1

Just now, jfunk138 said:

Teen hospitalizations are NOT increasing.   Here's an explanation from Joseph Allen of Harvard School of Public Health:

Yeah, Texas Children's Hospital has no idea what is happening in their hospital.  I'm sure the would admit and put totally healthy kids on ventilators just to get some federal money.  So it is totally reasonable to ignore what they are saying and look at national numbers that include the entire country, not just a normal urban area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Yeah, Texas Children's Hospital has no idea what is happening in their hospital.  I'm sure the would admit and put totally healthy kids on ventilators just to get some federal money.  So it is totally reasonable to ignore what they are saying and look at national numbers that include the entire country, not just a normal urban area.

Clearly your anecdote from Texas Children's Hospital has more merit than a Harvard Public Health professor whose career is based on analyzing data like this.

Edited by jfunk138
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Last week 31 children were admitted to a hospital. Not this hospital--- In the entire country.

How many could this one hospital have, to justify this kind of "hospitalizations are up" fear mongering?

• Like 2